Group Link 5 Special FX Edition

Group Link 5 Special FX Edition

Version 1.0 Release date: 4/10/2014

Project state:

experimental

Credits/History

Toadlife - Operation Flashpoint Group Link The Original

KeyCat - Operation Flashpoint Group Link 2 The enhanced version

=\SNKMAN/= - Armed Assault Group Link 2 Plus with special thanks to ZoneKiller, KyleSarnik, Solus

=\SNKMAN/= - Armed Assault Group Link 3

snYpir, Zayfod, Toadlife, Igor Drukov, General Barron, TJ - Operation Flashpoint Mod ECP ( Enhanced Configuration Project )

thunderbird84, Harkonin - Operation Flashpoint Mod F.F.U.R

=\SNKMAN/= - Armed Assault 2 Group Link 4 Special FX Edition

Zorrobyte - Armed Assault 3 Group Link 5 Core for Arma 3

Lordprimate - Armed Assault 3 Group Link 5 Special FX Edition for Arma 3

Hats off to Lordprimate; he has spent countless hours converting classnames, patching bugs and is most generally responsible for all of the FX features in this edition of GL5.

KeyCat originally open sourced GL2, in which SNKMAN violated this license and instead closed sourced his port. Zorrobyte released GL5 open source which outraged some of the Arma community. I am humbled to carry Group Link onward under its original open source license, thank you!

Licence

This work is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

Notices:

You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.

No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.

Project description

To fully port GL4 to A3, Special FX features included.

What are the differences between GL5 CORE and GL5 FX?

GL5 CORE is AI only (GL5_System.pbo) for servers and those who use Blastcore, don't want FX, dubbing etc.

GL5 FX Edition is the full GL4 port including FX, dubbing, blood, burning buildings etc. Literally everything is here (although some may still be broken/buggy).

Since I use GIT and Forks, I work on the GL5 Core Repo (link) while Lordprimate works on the GL5 FX Repo (link). Any changes I make to the GL5 Core repo (updates, bugfixes, etc) get upstreamed (merged) into the GL5 FX repo.

Dependencies:

None known as of yet, some may say CBA_A3

Documentation:

Please see the Wiki at https://bitbucket.org/zorrobyte/group-link-5-core/wiki/Home

Known Issues: (please report issues here)

https://bitbucket.org/zorrobyte/group-link-5-special-fx-edition/issues

Repository:

https://bitbucket.org/zorrobyte/group-link-5-special-fx-edition/overview

(upstream changes from GL5 Core will be merged into this repo/fork)

Installation instructions:

Copy the "@GL5" folder into your Arma 3 root directory.

Drag the "UserConfig" folder from "@GL5\UserConfig" in your Arma 3 root directory.

Additional Notes:

As I use PboView and have issues compiling with several other "modern" PBO packers, this addon may need work before being posted on Sixupdater. May be user error, I apologize but gave up after a few hours of keyboard mashing.

Thank you to the Arma community for the support, without you GL5 wouldn't of been possible. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175184-Licensing-issues-with-porting-GL4-to-A3

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/155wb185zzhpiuy/%40GL5SpecialFXv1.zip

Edited by zorrobyte

Looking forward to moving my A2/CO GL4 setup over to ArmA 3 with GL5! Great work ZB and LP!!!

KeyCat originally open sourced GL2, in which SNKMAN violated this license and instead closed sourced his port. Zorrobyte released GL5 open source which outraged some of the Arma community. I am humbled to carry Group Link onward under its original open source license, thank you!

Seriously? So I assume you are using SNKMAN's code anyway? Despite the fact he doesn't want it reused? At least remove his code from your port... or someone might say that you have violated his intellectual property rights too?

I know you might not you feel this is a big thing Zorro, but you are setting a precedent here.

I don't think anyone is outraged by this port :confused:

Seriously? So I assume you are using SNKMAN's code anyway? Despite the fact he doesn't want it reused? At least remove his code from your port... or someone might say that you have violated his intellectual property rights too?

I know you might not you feel this is a big thing Zorro, but you are setting a precedent here.

I don't think anyone is outraged by this port :confused:

All of this was already covered with the GL5 release last month, there's no need to bring up all this again, especially when it was already resolved.

Thank you very much for the additonal explanation you gave me about this release :)

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

I remember using this in a custon modpack for A2 and really enjoyed it! I made missions with MSO using GL4 but I was wondering how to use it in ALIVE? I was also wondering if you know how it would interact with ohter AI mods such as FFIS? I dont know if Im doing it wrong because I haven't synced the modules to any units (since Im using ALIVE) but most units I fire upon dont really act differently than vanilla OPFOR (either ignore incoming shots and proceed as normal or stand in an empty field and firing at you). Im really interested in getting this to function correctly (especially the surrendering/capturable units which I havent seem to be able to do yet in the mod for some reason)

Edited by Opendome

New mod v1.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@gl5_specialfx.png

@ zorrobyte;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Thanks for the push to Armaholic and PWS. I am really stoked to see this mod get out of the shadows. Im pretty sure that its over %95 fully functional. Zerro has plans to get gl5 initalized on all units, and get some headless client support. This is more of a learning experience for me so i am doing a lot off effects testing and the like. most if not ALL of the impact, bullet, arty, ect. special fx are working. AI should move out of the way of back blast if given a few seconds, autumn leaves, snow, bullet cracks and impacts, fire and smoke fx (soon to come fire and smoke on houses that are damaged), ai surrendering and droping their gear for inspection, interrogation/intel... that list goes on... The only things that i KNOW DO NOT WORK are High Command Modules {Reinforcements, Heli, Arty} , some markers are not showing up on infantry groups and vic's. they all (inf, vic's, armor, arty, static, air) should get a marker that has a pop up that shows the groups size distance from player, etc.. but some units are not getting this info..

hey sonsalt6 i hate to be a nitpicker but this time i have to be, is by LP and zerrobyte not just zerrobyte. Zerro has mentioned this several times, any way to add LP in there ?

Edited by Lordprimate

Emm I see the GL5 AI uses the same GL5_System.pbo with different file size... does this mean the AI and FX mods cannot be used together?

Could you tell us what this mod does? Other than everything as GL4, which is what exactly? (sorry for sounding like a noob)

edit. nvm, found a link in wiki

I was wondering if you could create a guide/list of how to utilize this mod properly? There seems to be a lot of components and Im having trouble getting some of them to work (eg OPFOR AI features). Im having some difficulty syncing what to what :S Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks! Im really looking forward to getting this working properly!

Edited by Opendome

Opendome, int he download you have a readme folder. in that folder are the old grouplink pdf files the mod still works as those files outline. Basically there is "default" initialization. Then there is "module" initialization. default is, well, default. With the modules you get greater control over the behavior of the units under each modules control.

I have always used the modules. to set up a basic mission is as follows.

1) open editor

2) Insert module "System"

3) Insert module "Special FX"

4) Insert Player unit

5) Sync Modules "System","Special FX" to Player unit.

6) Place enemy AI unit/group on the map (where ever you want them to be).

7) Sync Enemy AI unit/groupleader to "System" module.

Thats the basic setup. for multiple groups you can use other modules for specific behavior's. also syncing the groups you want to the modules you want.

This mod is mostly for enemy AI. Do not sync your friendly units to the "Custom","Static","Defend" modules. this causes all units to be aware of each other and instantly set to "Combat". And call All reinforcements. Its rather fun actually.... Zerro has mentioned he has a desire to get GL5 initialized on all units instead of just enemy with out them all freakin out. hopefully we can do something like that.

If need be i can post up some basic missions or include them into the next release at least!

I am also working on some new Intros for GL5. There will be a reason to leave -skipIntro off of your launch params.

Thank you for the mod :)

Do you think you could add smoke for the burning buildings?

Thanks for the push to Armaholic and PWS.

hey sonsalt6 i hate to be a nitpicker but this time i have to be, is by LP and zerrobyte not just zerrobyte. Zerro has mentioned this several times, any way to add LP in there ?

Hey Lordprimate,

Awesome work and great to see you guys working together on this and your work being shared after all this time, amazing stuff!

I've notified Sonsalt about the situation and your name will be added as soon as possible. The note about being able to manage the page of course also applies to you and we will make sure multiple authors can moderate their page in the near future.

Keep up the great work and I'm very happy to see this project being carried on all these years.

nice job

but -showscripterrors would help a lot

There are some undefined errors still not ironed out and other bugs. GL5 is open source, feel free to fork the repo on Bitbucket or join the dev group; this goes for anyone who wants to contribute to the project! PM me for details.

Opendome, int he download you have a readme folder. in that folder are the old grouplink pdf files the mod still works as those files outline. Basically there is "default" initialization. Then there is "module" initialization. default is, well, default. With the modules you get greater control over the behavior of the units under each modules control.

1) open editor

4) Insert Player unit

Thats the basic setup. for multiple groups you can use other modules for specific behavior's. also syncing the groups you want to the modules you want.

This mod is mostly for enemy AI. Do not sync your friendly units to the "Custom","Static","Defend" modules. this causes all units to be aware of each other and instantly set to "Combat". And call All reinforcements. Its rather fun actually.... Zerro has mentioned he has a desire to get GL5 initialized on all units instead of just enemy with out them all freakin out. hopefully we can do something like that.

If need be i can post up some basic missions or include them into the next release at least!

I am also working on some new Intros for GL5. There will be a reason to leave -skipIntro off of your launch params.

Hello Lordprimate, with this setup i get this messaje:

Scriptca/Modules/Funcions/Misc/Fa_commsh eruCreate sqf. not found

Thank you for the mod :)

Do you think you could add smoke for the burning buildings?

already done :) just have to wait for the next update :)

---------- Post added at 12:19 ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 ----------

Hello Lordprimate, with this setup i get this messaje:

Scriptca/Modules/Funcions/Misc/Fa_commsh eruCreate sqf. not found

that also has already been addressed, that error will be gone as soon as the next update. sorry just click ok and carry on it currently has no bearing on how the mod will play.

that error is related to the High Command that currently has to be repaired. ARMA 3 has a new way of making support menus. It is in the works, as i have found the info needed to fixe it.

------------------------------- edit

About Undefined Error _e refering to GL5_Patrol. Can only be Solved currently on a per mission basis.. you must put this in the INIT box of an AI unit or groupleader you want to patrol an area.

this setVariable [“GL4_Patrolâ€, 100];

or

this setVariable [“GL4_Patrolâ€, [100, “SAFEâ€, “LIMITEDâ€] ];

this is info straight out the readme folder. Another undefined error i have seen recently (i have fixed) relating to releasing surrendered units.. It will be fixed in the next update

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

Hey Lordprimate,

Awesome work and great to see you guys working together on this and your work being shared after all this time, amazing stuff!

I've notified Sonsalt about the situation and your name will be added as soon as possible. The note about being able to manage the page of course also applies to you and we will make sure multiple authors can moderate their page in the near future.

Keep up the great work and I'm very happy to see this project being carried on all these years.

Thanks!!

Edited by Lordprimate

Awesome work, was wondering i've added the system and fx modules to an Alive mission i'm working on and the special fx work without synching to any units in he editor, is that the proper useage if i only want the fx?

Awesome work, was wondering i've added the system and fx modules to an Alive mission i'm working on and the special fx work without synching to any units in he editor, is that the proper useage if i only want the fx?

if your placing modules for a multiplayer mission you need to sync them to the playable units. If your making Singleplayer missions, im honestly not sure, i have ALWAYS sync'd my moduels, even in SP missions. but as i said, for Multiplayer, you HAVE to sync the modules to ALL Playable units. If you do not sync the modules to all the playable units in a MP mission then SFX will not INIT, properly.

1) open editor

4) Insert Player unit

Thanks for your help bud! When you say defualt does that mean that it defualts to turn everything on and use all features? I was also wondering (since im using it in ALIVE missions) if I place a single opfor unit of the enemy faction can I sync the system module to it and it will utilize GL5 for all opfor units that spawn in ALIVE?

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

default means exactly that default. if you do Not use modules you do Not get their effects. you get "default" ai fx.

Thanks Lord, one more question got it working, i put this on dedicated it initialized fine at startup but after that wouldn't work after disconnect/reconnect or jip, I'm kinda new at this all help appreciated and thanks in advance.