LowFlyZone

(SP) Operation Morning Booking

1_thumb_bis_10022fe945037546.jpg 1_thumb_bis_6c61f5e1bb662bc6.jpg

This is a mission I made mostly tailored to my editing/creating and play style, but maybe others can enjoy it too. It's a singleplayer mission with a background story and I plan on making 1 or 2 sequels before moving onto something different again. It actually plays more like a multiplayer mission with no in-game story telling. In future I may add some voiceless radio dialogue, but nothing forcing you to read all the time and make your head spin, such as this post...:eek:

(SP) Operation Morning Booking

Subscribe: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247683951

[OVERVIEW]

Infiltrate and cause havoc at a suspected key point of the CSAT presence on northen Altis. Insert by submarine, link up with FIA rebels, take out AA, artillery, and gather intelligence from inside the Ghost Hotel.

[FEATURES]

Custom Diver loadout

USS Proteus (big submarine)

Underwater insertion (selectable locations)

UPSMON and Garrison scripts

Enemy reinforcements fast roping from helicopters

Recruitable FIA rebels in hiding

Enemy mortar support

Multiple types of objectives

CQB (inside Ghost Hotel)

Semi-dynamic gameplay (improvements to come)

[PLEASE NOTE]

The mission is not very easy, depending on your difficuilty and mods. I highly recommend the bCombat mod and ASR AI A3. If you use ASR AI A3 it's best to turn off radionet and maybe gunshot hearing in the userconfig file for the mod. Ensure you can save your game, it is a singleplayer mission after all...

I also highly recommend the TPW HUD mod, I gave the player unit some tactical goggles to use with this mod and it helps make the mission easier, and feel more tactical if you will, because you're on your own for the most part.

There's a combat vest in your backpack, you have to drop it on the ground then equip it, you can move the rebreather into your backpack if you want to keep it. Dropping the vest on the ground is a fault of Arma 3, not mine.

Keep a lookout for enemy supply boxes and crates in the mission, you may need some launchers...

I will be adding features and making improvements in the near future. Watch this space if you like this kind of mission...

[sITUATION]

CSAT still have a heavy presence on the northen and eastern regions of Altis, and with NATO awaiting further reinforcements, we believe CSAT are bringing in new weapons and working on something big.

Intel reports show a sudden increase in activity in and around Pefkas Bay, due west of a major CSAT headquarters. We have located a coastal defence point with AA, as well as the location of artillery units that have been shelling our ground forces to the south and south west. Further Intel shows the presence of a high ranking CSAT officer in the AO, we wish to have him eliminated as well.

A major cause for suspician is the recent entrenchment of the abandoned hotel situated north of the bay, known as the Ghost Hotel. The interrogation of a recently captured CSAT officer has revealed that we may be able to pull off valuable intel from computers inside the hotel, and that it is being used as a meeting point for high ranking officers involved in "special projects". If we can get hold of that Intel, we may be able to start figuring out what CSAT are up to.

This mission is highly dangerous and off the radar, NATO does not even know about our presence in the region! Support will be largely unavailable and your insertion will be via mini submarine launched off the USS Proteus.

We have established contact with FIA rebel forces via the British CTRG and Captain Miller, and they have helped us smuggle in extra supplies for this mission, as well as having offered their assistance. They will be hiding and waiting for you.

With the help of the FIA and SATCOM, we have determined and marked points of interest on your map, including your objectives. Use the information as you see fit to best execute your mission.

[CREDITS & THANKS]

Credit goes out to all of the Arma community, specifically the authors of the freely distributed scripts used in this mission. Without them, making missions would be boring and beyond my scripting ability...

Thumbs up to:

Cool=Azroul13 for "UPSMON - Urban Patrol Script"

zorilya for "Garrison script A3 [bETA]"

zealot111 for "Helicopter fastrope script"

t-800a for "Downlad data from a laptop"

Feint for "Submarine with SDV"

1_thumb_bis_ec15a2eec90792a3.jpg

Edited by LowFlyZone
images

Please get rid of the cheating, all-seeing mortars and it will become playable ;).

The officer who was allegedly fleeing from the AA emplacement when I attacked it was nowhere to be found in the hotel nor the small village next to it . And I didn't find any computers nor documents inside the hotel either. All in all, the operation was a failure, and we lost like 3 dozen good men on that island.

The officer who was allegedly fleeing from the AA emplacement when I attacked it was nowhere to be found in the hotel nor the small village next to it . And I didn't find any computers nor documents inside the hotel either. All in all, the operation was a failure, and we lost like 3 dozen good men on that island.

That is weird... Maybe his offroad vehicle got stuck somewhere or he ran away due to some mods causing him to flee from the hotel... I will look into that. The computer and documents are inside to the right if you go in by the front entrance, at the "reception" counter, can't really miss it.

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

Please get rid of the cheating, all-seeing mortars and it will become playable ;).

I will be removing the script, using an older different version or maybe use UPSMON for the mortar support. I rewrote the script before release but it still ddn't turn out as great as I wanted, I've actually found it to be buggy even tho intial tests seemed fine before release.

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

Just for the record, I wanted the mission to be challenging, even with the mortar fire. The idea is to keep moving to prevent the mortar from zeroing in on you, the enemy units will also converge on you. You need to keep them moving around, mainly the UPSMON groups if they are in range. Your experience will differ with different mods and settings. For example, running ASR AI A3 with the radionet turned on will allow all units on the map to move around to your location, like the UPSMON groups do, including most sentries which ruins the mission...

The mortar fires at the perceived positions the enemy have of blufor units, within a certain accuracy allowance and random chance of actually firing if targets are found, there are also sleeps or cool down periods. However I've also found it a bit too much, especially when you have the rebels rolling around with you, they will likely die from mortar fire everytime.

Edited by LowFlyZone

It was challenging. More challenging than in most missions, and I am glad that for once they were behaving realistically.

I went for the arty first. I planted charges and went into the nearby sand bunker to hide and see a nice view, how can this go wrong? It did. This does not appear to be the usual "there is gunfire 200m away, maybe we should ... oh shiny" type of scenario. While I was messing around with the ammo boxes insides the bunker, the whole Persian army homed in on me. An attack chopper, 2 MRAPs, and countless units. And the arty. I died a lot of times, killed a great many, but the worst thing was the arty. Even when I managed to clear them out a bit on the outside and left the bunker, still playing cat and mouse with the remaining couple of infantry guys between the sandbags and the small house, four times, no matter in which direction I went, they fell 1 meter away from me. Really feels like cheating.

And I hate this kind of arty even more since I can't do anything against it. I can shoot or damage a pesky attack helicopter or MRAP, or I can hide from them. But when I am being smitten from the heavens there is this feeling of helplessness that makes one go and post some angry posts.

I understand the need to move. But in this case, when trapped between these sandbags in an open field, if you leave you get sniped, if you stay you get mortared :). I understand I should have done it differently, put the charges then go very far away before blowing them up, but once it started I did not want to reload, I needed to see how it played out. It played out fine, I'm glad the enemy responded "realistically" by sending everything they had to search and destroy, but the mortars were a bit much.

Wow, this mission is kind of beautiful and annoying at the same time.... it is very hard, realistic and very well scripted, BUT nobody told me that the Sochor arty pieces need 2 (or more?) satchel charges! I packed only one for each of them, detonated them and the vehicles looked pretty inactive afterwards. However, before I could retreat and pick up some more satchels, a BTR-K zoomed in and killed me. At the last objective of this mission!! Otherwise it would have been an example of a pretty perfect BlackOp single player mission.