Sign in to follow this  
P0ci

Performance is still terrible even after todays patch....

Ohh god go away please. Maybe you don't comprehend English correctly or your just dense.

You keep on posting benches I already know about, stop trying to turn this into an AMD vs Intel flame war. The performance in this game affects BOTH platforms.

So please go away yet again I ask. Its like your trying to teach a father how to have kids.....

For someone who keeps using the word 'your' incorrectly, you shouldn't be telling people their English is bad.

And stop being so aggressive with your posts. It makes you look petulant.

For someone who keeps using the word 'your' incorrectly, you shouldn't be telling people their English is bad.

And stop being so aggressive with your posts. It makes you look petulant.

Ever hear of a grammar Nazi?

Its usually what newcomers to the internet refuge in when they lost a debate......

Its usually what newcomers to the internet refuge in when they lost a debate......

People in glass houses etc.

Drop the attitude and stop being so petulant.

Good job of admitting you've lost a debate and is resorting to being a grammar nazi.

It's

take refuge

lose

That's idiot levels, frankly.

the simple thing is: performance wise there aren´t simple answers :p

-scripts

-ai

-cpu platform

-clock

-settings

and.....and.......da game itself :D

People in glass houses etc.

Drop the attitude and stop being so petulant.

SOrry where im from we don't take any shit, especially from amateurs that think they know what they are talking about.

Good job of admitting you've lost a debate and is resorting to being a grammar nazi.

Where did I do any grammar nazing? Laugh

---------- Post added at 05:30 ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 ----------

It's

take refuge

lose

That's idiot levels, frankly.

Yes, how does it feel to not have anything better to say and be a lame ass grammar Nazi?

Yes, how does it feel to not have anything better to say and be a lame ass grammar Nazi?

Rather that than a lame ass tech with the most basic qualification in the industry. Get yourself a CCNP or something if you want people to take your professionalism claims seriously.

You were the first person to question someone else's comprehension of English. So when you then display an inability to write English, you bring the criticism on yourself.

Arma, all versions, suffers like 90% of games over the last decade, from largely utilising one CPU core. Therefore the Ghz of your CPU matters, as does the brand. On, say, a 2500k running at 4.7Ghz you will get "less bad" performance than on an AMD chip running at a similar speed. Your 8350 is not "good hardware" for Arma. The problems don't go away with a good Intel chip, but they are less pronounced.

You could perhaps experiment with offloading the AI thread to a different core by running your missions on the dedicated server exe, on the same box as your client.

Edited by jiltedjock

The OP is trying to make some point --building up infractions on the way to a ban.

Tho this is the Troubleshooting forum --where people seek advice based on specs & settings mostly.

Arguing here is like 'kissing your sister'..., nobody wants to see it.

Rather that than a lame ass tech with the most basic qualification in the industry. Get yourself a CCNP or something if you want people to take your professionalism claims seriously.

You were the first person to question someone else's comprehension of English. So when you then display an inability to write English, you bring the criticism on yourself.

Arma, all versions, suffers like 90% of games over the last decade, from largely utilising one CPU core. Therefore the Ghz of your CPU matters, as does the brand. On, say, a 2500k running at 4.7Ghz you will get "less bad" performance than on an AMD chip running at a similar speed. Your 8350 is not "good hardware" for Arma. The problems don't go away with a good Intel chip, but they are less pronounced.

You could perhaps experiment with offloading the AI thread to a different core by running your missions on the dedicated server exe, on the same box as your client.

You sure do assume a lot about me, actually im getting my certs besides the one I already have.

And btw the cccnp u mention if im not mistaken is a security cert, most certainly has nothing to do with game performance.

And Ill repeat myself this is not an AMD vs Intel thing, if people with i7s are complaining too then refrain from bashing on AMD, mmkkayy gg thx

Ohh btw fyi my 8350 is @4.5 ghz, I can run any game I want at over 60 fps with no problem with this game being a sole exception.

And since you want to talk about certs, may I ask which ones you have? Id be surprised if you even have an A+ card

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

The OP is trying to make some point --building up infractions on the way to a ban.

Tho this is the Troubleshooting forum --where people seek advice based on specs & settings mostly.

Arguing here is like 'kissing your sister'..., nobody wants to see it.

At this point I really could give two turds if they end up banning me. I thought this community was different. I made this post to try and get BI to at least give us some better multithreading support, heck make it use more then 3 threads, even with 4 threads the game would see an increase in performance, but instead what do I get? Insults about my CPU....

I see this forum is no different then any other forum.

One important and relevant bit is the matter that the majority of other games are console ports or AAA titles made to run on the lowest spec hardware possible to maximize sales

but sure as hell I am not here to excuse the flawed arma engine

Also -

CCNP

vs

cccnp

At this point I really could give two turds if they end up banning me. I thought this community was different. I made this post to try and get BI to at least give us some better multithreading support, heck make it use more then 3 threads, even with 4 threads the game would see an increase in performance, but instead what do I get? Insults about my CPU....

Now i'm positivily sure the probem is between the chair and the monitor!! Do you know what you are asking!?!? You don't have a clue of what you are asking BIS to do! Re-write an engine to suport multicores/multithreading it's like asking to make a new simulator! (and that's what they should have done with A3).

And you keep hitting the same key about Intel vs AMD, this is not it, don't you realise!?!?

Everybody is having issues with RV4 engine, intel or amd, BUT the AMD have additional performance problems with the RV4 engine!

It seems you had already bad experiences in other forums because of your atittude! Are you going to learn the lesson arround here!? ;)

And since you want to talk about certs, may I ask which ones you have? Id be surprised if you even have an A+ card

I've got 20 years in IT and have a team of third line engineers working for me - I am also an engineer. I manage two data centres hosting web sites that get around 20 million unique visitors per annum. I work closely with a team of Java developers building our own enterprise web applications - Java, Oracle, MySQL, Postgres. I manage the flow of code from Dev to Prod - these days they call it DevOps. That is what you want to get into, it's where the money is, not removing viruses from peoples' laptops.

My first cert was a MCSE +I in NT4, I started off in traditional sys admin / domain management before focusing on web. CCNP is a Cisco cert.

Either everyone in the world except for you is insane or...

One important and relevant bit is the matter that the majority of other games are console ports or AAA titles made to run on the lowest spec hardware possible to maximize sales

but sure as hell I am not here to excuse the flawed arma engine

Also -

vs

Thank you for correcting my TYPO

Now i'm positivily sure the probem is between the chair and the monitor!! Do you know what you are asking!?!? You don't have a clue of what you are asking BIS to do! Re-write an engine to suport multicores/multithreading it's like asking to make a new simulator! (and that's what they should have done with A3).

And you keep hitting the same key about Intel vs AMD, this is not it, don't you realise!?!?

Everybody is having issues with RV4 engine, intel or amd, BUT the AMD have additional performance problems with the RV4 engine!

It seems you had already bad experiences in other forums because of your atittude! Are you going to learn the lesson arround here!? ;)

Ohh god you again, listen, every game I run including benchmarks showing my system performing like It should so no its not between chair and monitor. ANd if you knew anything BIS would NOT have to rewrite the "entire" engine. Valve mananged to add code for multithreading in their source engine and BIS could do the same.
I've got 20 years in IT and have a team of third line engineers working for me - I am also an engineer. I manage two data centres hosting web sites that get around 20 million unique visitors per annum. I work closely with a team of Java developers building our own enterprise web applications - Java, Oracle, MySQL, Postgres. I manage the flow of code from Dev to Prod - these days they call it DevOps. That is what you want to get into, it's where the money is, not removing viruses from peoples' laptops.

My first cert was a MCSE +I in NT4, I started off in traditional sys admin / domain management before focusing on web. CCNP is a Cisco cert.

A programmer/software guy trying to talk about hardware I love it. Yes I made a mistake on confusing that cert with the high end security certs which are even better paid then your 20 years experience, and yes my 2nd thought that it was cisco...

But if it makes you happy, ill have my CCNA soon....

But like I said, neither one of your certs or my certs has anything to do with optimizing performance of a game and I think wee both know that at your job if your boss catches you with a game uhh, it means trouble

Btw you do know that MS changed the MSCE right? THe one now is a LOT harder then the one of yours from NT days... and fyi Im also getting that...., once im done Ill have a total of 5 certs which I wont even bother putting on resume yet due to overqualification. But yet again lets keep this on topic, Ill repeat myself certs have nothing to di with getting playable fps in ARMA.

Either everyone in the world except for you is insane or...

Reported for trolling

Edited by P0ci

Btw you do know that MS changed the MSCE right? THe one now is a LOT harder then the one of yours from NT days... and fyi Im also getting that...., once im done Ill have a total of 5 certs which I wont even bother putting on resume yet due to overqualification. But yet again lets keep this on topic, Ill repeat myself certs have nothing to di with getting playable fps in ARMA.

Reported for trolling

We are all very impressed...

I believe this thread can be closed any time soon. Doesn't seem to be much else on-topic to discuss here really.

I made this post to try and get BI to at least give us some better multithreading support, heck make it use more then 3 threads, even with 4 threads the game would see an increase in performance, but instead what do I get?

exThreads

-exThreads= is option to define extra threads.

All file operations go through a dedicated thread. This offloads some processing from the main thread, however it adds some overhead at the same time. The reason why threaded file ops were implemented was to serve as a basement for other threads ops. When multiple threads are running at the same time, OS is scheduling them on different cores. Geometry and Texture loading (both done by the same thread) are scheduled on different cores outside the main rendering loop at the same time with the main rendering loop.

Ex(tra)threads table

exThreads

-exThreads= is option to define extra threads.

All file operations go through a dedicated thread. This offloads some processing from the main thread, however it adds some overhead at the same time. The reason why threaded file ops were implemented was to serve as a basement for other threads ops. When multiple threads are running at the same time, OS is scheduling them on different cores. Geometry and Texture loading (both done by the same thread) are scheduled on different cores outside the main rendering loop at the same time with the main rendering loop.

Ex(tra)threads table

Hmm, I already posted, seems to have got deleted.

Anyways yes I have that in my command line already, game still only uses 3 threads despite me specifying more

In any case there seems to be a misunderstanding, I was judging multiplayer performance, yesterday I loaded up the new campaign and was getting 40- 65 fps, that a bit of an improvement despite it could be better. I guess servers influence client fps?

Edited by P0ci

Hmm, I already posted, seems to have got deleted.

Anyways yes I have that in my command line already, game still only uses 3 threads despite me specifying more

In any case there seems to be a misunderstanding, I was judging multiplayer performance, yesterday I loaded up the new campaign and was getting 40- 65 fps, that a bit of an improvement despite it could be better. I guess servers influence client fps?

I think maybe what you are seeing is it using three cores (which is typical), but it does use 7 threads within those cores.

I think maybe what you are seeing is it using three cores (which is typical), but it does use 7 threads within those cores.

That's impossible, when it comes to multithreading its one thread per core. Only intel hyperthreading tech allows 2 threads per core, hence it simulates having twice as many cores....

That's impossible, when it comes to multithreading its one thread per core. Only intel hyperthreading tech allows 2 threads per core, hence it simulates having twice as many cores....

I didn't say the threads were being executed simultaneously. What I was saying was that the application executes 7 threads. But because some of them are executed quickly, you will tend not to see activity on more than 3 cores. Arma, like many applications, still does most of its work in one or two threads, which means that much of the time other threads are in a wait state.

In order to use multiple cores at the same time, multiple threads are required. The inverse is not true. A thread is a single sequence of instructions. CPU scheduling obviously allows multiple threads belonging to one process to be executed on one core, in sequence.

You may find this informative: http://scalibq.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/multi-core-and-multi-threading/

Edited by jiltedjock

I didn't say the threads were being executed simultaneously. What I was saying was that the application executes 7 threads. But because some of them are executed quickly, you will tend not to see activity on more than 3 cores. Arma, like many applications, still does most of its work in one or two threads, which means that much of the time other threads are in a wait state.

In order to use multiple cores at the same time, multiple threads are required. The inverse is not true. A thread is a single sequence of instructions. CPU scheduling obviously allows multiple threads belonging to one process to be executed on one core, in sequence.

You may find this informative: http://scalibq.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/multi-core-and-multi-threading/

Yes you are correct, I thought you meant simultaneously. Hence the performance issues because the threads are "Wating in line"

Just because people seem to be misunderstanding the -exthreads= command...

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Startup_Parameters#exThreads

-exthreads=7 does not mean the game is running 7 threads. Look at the table, the decimal figure is representative of binary values within a table that determine which operations get moved into seperate threads.

All these guides that people blindly follow have a lot to answer for.

-exthreads=7 does not mean the game is running 7 threads.

I've actually seen people who honestly think that it defines the total number of threads. I wonder if they believe -exthreads=0 means the game runs without any threads at all. The performance must really suck with that command. :D

edit. By the way, for example Process Explorer shows arma3.exe process running with 38 threads, about 14 of them active. Is this the number of actual threads the game uses or is it something else?

Edited by Greenfist

edit. By the way, for example Process Explorer shows arma3.exe process running with 38 threads, about 14 of them active. Is this the number of actual threads the game uses or is it something else?

I could try to explain it better than the article linked above by Jiltedjock but would probably fail, so I would just read that if you wish to understand what's going on some more.