sgtsev3n

ArmA 3 Falklands

hello,

i have a few questions about the falklands terrain 40km x 40km from here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?95648-Falkland-Islands-Map-Ideas-Discussion-amp-Demo-Terrains

MAIN Questions:

1. is it possible to increase the size from 4096x4096 to 8192x8192 (since arma 3 terrain builder supports 8192x8192) and decrease cell size? for example

2. for filling the map, does the 5,000,000 object limit still exist (unlike in arma 2) or can we use more than 5,000,000 objects without terrain builder/buldozer crash?

+++TWO MOST IMPORTANT QUESTIONS+++

side questions:

1. with a 40km x 40km overall size, how much km2 of it is actually the terrain/island itself without water? for example altis is total about 900km2 but without water (only the island itself) is 270 km2.

2. is the guy in this video using the same falklands 40x40km terrain?

3. is it possible to increase the falklands terrain?

i plan to build a large scale island based on the falklands terrain but with much edited stuff like more hills, jungle(maybe only, i have many ideas), urban cities and stuff like that

thanks

Hi there...

Got your PM on this topic but I'll reply here since you've posted a public thread...

1. is it possible to increase the size from 4096x4096 to 8192x8192 (since arma 3 terrain builder supports 8192x8192) and decrease cell size? for example

Not absolutely sure if the 8192 grid size is fully functional as yet... I've only heard of one person experimenting with that size so far, and there were importing issues, though it could have been an issue unrelated to the actual size... However, "upscaling" won't really improve things too greatly. You'd probably be far better off starting from scratch... That (really old) demo was never meant as a serious terrain, it was really only ever intended as a "scale demo" to give people an idea of how big a map the Falklands would need to be...

2. for filling the map, does the 5,000,000 object limit still exist (unlike in arma 2) or can we use more than 5,000,000 objects without terrain builder/buldozer crash?

Not sure if anyone has been pushing the limits as far as object count is concerned yet. I've managed approx 1.5 million rocks/trees on a large "forest areas fill", which behaved fine both in TB and in-game... Still got a lot more to add, so I might well hit the 5 mil mark in due course... If I have issues with that you can be sure I'll report them...

side questions:

1. with a 40km x 40km overall size, how much km2 of it is actually the terrain/island itself without water? for example altis is total about 900km2 but without water (only the island itself) is 270 km2.

No idea on this one - sorry. Loading the heightmap into L3DT should give you some idea of the % of land above water which might help you calculate a rough figure though...

2. is the guy in this video using the same falklands 40x40km terrain?

Could be - it looks low-quality enough ;)... You could always ask him I guess...

3. is it possible to increase the falklands terrain?

Increase in size? Again - scaling up is generally not conductive to increased quality. If you can find a better heightmap, starting from scratch might be a better idea...

In general, if you're planning on adding hills & jungle & cities and changing things around to such an extent, and you're set on using a Real Place as a starting point, you might be better picking a different island, roughly the size and shape you want, for which there's better quality heightmap data available - such as anything within US territory, for example, or any of the other countries which offer free heightmap data of better quality than SRTM 90m/px - which is what that old Falklands terrain was based on...

However - should you be dead set on using the old Falklands stuff, then just in case anybody bugs you about it - I made that old demo, and you have full permission to use it, mash it into something else or otherwise do anything you want with the data.....

B

Edited by Bushlurker

ok thanks for the answers !

yes i would be thankful if you would report your resolution about the 5 mil objects !

yeah with increase the falkland size it was meant to make it for example 102km x 102km instead of 40km x 40km and with the 4096x4096 to 8192x8192 increase, with that it wasnt really meant to increase the terrain size overall, i just thought if we increase the resolution to 8192 and decrease the cell size, we would get a higher quality 40km x 40km terrain.

thanks for the answers bro !

Tried with 8192 x 2.75m which didn't succeed. Hope you get your numbers right ;)

what exactly did u tried ? and what was the reason why it didnt worked ?

I think it's Terrain Builder which cannot handle that number of grids maybe. TB crashes upon loading it while loading same terrain in a 4096 x 5.5m works fine.

Its possible to create lands with 8192 x5.5 and terrain builder not crash?

And Arma3 supports?

Anyone try?

Its possible to create lands with 8192 x5.5 and terrain builder not crash?

And Arma3 supports?

Anyone try?

EgilSandfeld tried it with 8192 x2.75 which didn´t worked, so i dont believe that it would work with x5.5 when it crashes by x2.75....

one thing which i do not understand: why does BIS add features to the tools which are not working ?

for example they added the 4096 resolution in visitor3 for arma 2 and 4096 does not work very well, we have object problems there which got never fixed for arma 2 visitor3 so 4096 is not usable there.

now, in arma 3 terrain builder we can finally use 4096 resolution but now they added another resolution which we can not use right now (i hope it will be fixed in the future). peoples cant use 8192 because it lead to TB crash/import problems.

why adding these features when they does not work?

EgilSandfeld tried it with 8192 x2.75 which didn´t worked, so i dont believe that it would work with x5.5 when it crashes by x2.75....

one thing which i do not understand: why does BIS add features to the tools which are not working ?

for example they added the 4096 resolution in visitor3 for arma 2 and 4096 does not work very well, we have object problems there which got never fixed for arma 2 visitor3 so 4096 is not usable there.

now, in arma 3 terrain builder we can finally use 4096 resolution but now they added another resolution which we can not use right now (i hope it will be fixed in the future). peoples cant use 8192 because it lead to TB crash/import problems.

why adding these features when they does not work?

4096 did work in A2 it just had limitations.

8192 might work and might not have found out how to make it work yet. Or maybe they removed the ability for it to work but it works in their version and they just forgot to take it out. In both cases they had never used that size before.

4096 did work in A2 it just had limitations.

8192 might work and might not have found out how to make it work yet. Or maybe they removed the ability for it to work but it works in their version and they just forgot to take it out. In both cases they had never used that size before.

i hope they wont remove it but they make it usable. terrain builder is in early stages and from what i heard it is unstable, so what we can do is wait and hope. patches will come with improvements, fixes, additional functions for terrain builder.

@Bushlurker: any news about object limit ?

Interesting to see if this gets anywhere, some will understand my interest due to past time spend involvement in the subject.

if anyone is interest in this subject if we can plane more than 5,000,000 objects, check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyWgX3KsGPA

this show how to place several object one time and by repeating it, it wouldnt take long to reach 5,000,000 or more.

i still didn´t got my new notebook and it will take longer before i will buy one.

I've been wondering why there haven't been many city maps with large buildings like sky scrappers or so. Is there an issue with FPS or are the buildings simply to hard to make? I personally would love to have a city like New York or Tokyo to use editor in. Could make for some interesting experiences.

I've been wondering why there haven't been many city maps with large buildings like sky scrappers or so. Is there an issue with FPS or are the buildings simply to hard to make? I personally would love to have a city like New York or Tokyo to use editor in. Could make for some interesting experiences.

same here... i dont believe it has something to do with FPS issues. there is a small manhattan like map out for arma 2 &3 called minihattan. all buildings are enterable and some has even over 30 floors and some people recorded the map with fraps so no FPS issues and also i do not believe that it has something to do with "hard to make" since there is a minihattan map out a small city and if we take a look at take on helicopters, there is even a bigger real city map (seattle) but not very detailed but still, buildings are awesome, not enterable but not every building has to be enterable and the less enterable buildings, the easier is it to make. so IDK why not city map out there but FPS is not the reason nor is it hard to make.

and in that falkland map which i plan, i plan to add detailed cities (with skyscraper etc)

I am currently working in 2 terrains of 80km