Sign in to follow this  
Kildar

Briefing Gear and Team Inventories SP/MP

After making my first mission, I've noticed some interesting things.

In single player, I can access my and my teammates inventory through Map > Team, and can also perform team switching for playable units, and can perform briefing gear selections.

However, in multiplayer, the map inventory and team switching access disappears, and as a result, briefing gear selection is unavailable. Has any other mission designer come across this problem and perhaps found a way around it?

Apparently, BIS has intentionally removed the ability to access the inventory through the map in MP. I heard of an addon that revels the option back but I don't believe it will be usable in MP unless all players has this addon, which makes it a requirement for the mission. I think you are better off to workaround the problem using crates or vehicles.

Personally, I hope you won't use VAS... a massive immersion killer in my opinion.

It is - let's say - a "lacking feature". BIS hasn't implemented the gear selection in MP yet though I don't quite get why. It worked in Arma 2 as far as I know (never played MP).

It is - let's say - a "lacking feature". BIS hasn't implemented the gear selection in MP yet though I don't quite get why. It worked in Arma 2 as far as I know (never played MP).

The only MP bug I know in this context is that when a player JIPs in or disconnects during the briefing, the weapon selection messes up and you get random people not having the weapons they selected.

The inventory was implemented and brought back to Arma 3 at one point, but was later removed for an unknown reason.

it would be cool to have VAS access during briefing for coop/multiplayer. just allow players to suit up how they want before mission start.

The only MP bug I know in this context is that when a player JIPs in or disconnects during the briefing, the weapon selection messes up and you get random people not having the weapons they selected.

We had constant problems with briefing gear selection in ArmA 2 MP, with or without JIP. I mean stuff like selections sometimes not reacting when you try to pick them, gear not being updated to others after it'd been picked, not getting a gear which you set up in the briefing into the actual game etc. Seemed to have a ~50% chance of happening regardless of the mission.

(The worst part was that it took so darn long for everyone to fuss their gear together, though.)

We had constant problems with briefing gear selection in ArmA 2 MP, with or without JIP. I mean stuff like selections sometimes not reacting when you try to pick them, gear not being updated to others after it'd been picked, not getting a gear which you set up in the briefing into the actual game etc. Seemed to have a ~50% chance of happening regardless of the mission.

(The worst part was that it took so darn long for everyone to fuss their gear together, though.)

Might be caused by too many items in the inventory, but if there's not too many it never happens, so I can't confirm your findings. We've been playing three times a week since 2009 so it's must be something to do with the missions you play.

The inventory was implemented and brought back to Arma 3 at one point, but was later removed for an unknown reason.

Thanks for the headsup! I thought I'd heard that the briefing gear was reimplemented since beta, but did not know it had been disabled for MP. I did notice that weapon selection would sometimes fail in A2 MP, but I suppose as long as I give people the right loadouts by default this would not be an issue. I definitely think that BIS should reenable this even if this persists.

I also miss being able to access gear while inside a vehicle as was possible in A2. It would have at least made gear selection enroute during initial transport an option, as I dislike having to spend time huddling over something to gear up.

Personally, I hope you won't use VAS... a massive immersion killer in my opinion.

I dislike VAS as well. Never liked Mary Poppins boxes that can magically hold everything, and for small tailored missions like mine, can mess up the author's intended gameplay. Worst of all, it takes forever for everyone to get things just right, and then people forget to save their loadouts... It does have its uses, though, for persistent server missions where gear needs to be unlimited and potentially have access to everything.

Might be caused by too many items in the inventory, but if there's not too many it never happens, so I can't confirm your findings. We've been playing three times a week since 2009 so it's must be something to do with the missions you play.

I guess it might've been the amount of gear, my memory is not the best.