Sign in to follow this  
igneous01

Interactive Dialog as Overlay - Can I switch display focus?

Im working on a cockpit hud with panels that I can interact with (show map,radar,camera whatever)

I want the hud to stay on the screen, similar to an overlay. But I also want to be able to switch focus in and out of it with a keypress.

If I press someKey, then the cursor will show up and I can press buttons on the dialog, when I press this key again, the cursor disappears, I can continue piloting, but the dialog stays in place (not closing).

I thought rscTitles would work for this, but turns out they dont accept input. Is there a way I can switch focus back to the player movement without closing the dialog?

What you might be able to achive is a 'fake out'. Create two versions of the dialog, one that is interactive, and a copy that is not. When the dialog is closed, then the rscTitles replaces it on the fly. The player probably won't notice the switcheroo. Lots of work though, especially if the dialog is complex.

Yea I just recently tried this and it works pretty good, although I am a little worried if having the same idc and idd for the controls will cause conflict between the dialog and rscTitle versions?

But so far so good, so I can't complain, thanks for the suggestion!