Sign in to follow this  
grillob3

Nvidia GeForce 337.50 Beta

Yeah, I am eager to see if these make a significant difference. Would be nice, though my 680 is only being utilized about 50-60% the vast majority of the time anyway. Maybe this will allow it to be utilized more?

Very interested to see some benchmarks on Arma with these drivers myself. This game would surely be a prime candidate to get a nice boost (e.g. CPU limited).

I have noticed better overall fps

I guess any improvement will only affect the 700 series and not the 500 .

Could someone test this on Altis Life? MP in general and this mod in particular seem rather CPU limited and the driver should help a lot with that.

I guess any improvement will only affect the 700 series and not the 500 .

I don't know about the 500s but the 600 series is also affected. Nvidia mentioning improvements only with the newer 700s is just marketing talk.

I tested only briefly with the new and old drivers on my 660 and had noticeable FPS gain in an AI action packed benchmark. The average FPS in this CPU heavy scene didn't really change but in the beginning of it the maximum fps was consistently around 43 while old drivers never went above 37. So I believe there's some difference, can't say anything about the overal performance though.

Could someone test this on Altis Life? MP in general and this mod in particular seem rather CPU limited and the driver should help a lot with that.

Isn't the performance in Life mostly held back by the server?

Isn't the performance in Life mostly held back by the server?

Sure thing. Still, my friends with worse rigs have lower FPS than I do. That's why I concluded that the hardware still has some effect when playing on a good server.

Thanks Grillob3!

Just tested this on Altis (SP) without AI (but with several scripts running). Gives me a 10% boost on a GTX 780TI

Note: During installation I got an error about OpenGL (could not be installed). No problem for Arma3 ofcourse, maybe for other games?

So did anyone benchmark the difference or are we all talking out of our wonderful, big asses of hopefulness here? ;)

So did anyone benchmark the difference or are we all talking out of our wonderful, big asses of hopefulness here? ;)

I'm always very suspicious about FPS gains but I measured before and after on the same spot on Altis (exact same conditions) and it really gives me 10% extra. I didn't expect it so I was quite surprised.

For me the most important thing is to gain more FPS in CPU heavy situations when a lot of AIs are involved in fighting.

I'm always very suspicious about FPS gains but I measured before and after on the same spot on Altis (exact same conditions) and it really gives me 10% extra. I didn't expect it so I was quite surprised.

Same here! i have a mission in altis and stratis called FPSTEST. Is just a unit on a empty map and i start and check the fps without moving. Altis i was getting before 145, now 160 stratis 176 now 193. This by far the best gain in performance from a gpu driver! And i do test all of them WHQL and betas!

I am on a trisli gtx 680. 2560x1440.

And I am glad amd came up with Mantle! So now nvidia will move their lazy asses and bring some performance to us!

Edited by Grillob3

And I am glad amd came up with Mantle! So now nvidia will move their lazy asses and bring some performance to us!

^ this all over

Marginal gains thus far with low AI load - 36vs38fps on benchmark mission, we need more testing.

2500k 4.8GHZ

670GTX

Edited by zorrobyte

helo´s benchmark or a firefight with logged minimum fps would be nice. Is it right the new nvidia driver have less load on cpu?

I guess I'll have to fraps this later :p

Same here! i have a mission in altis and stratis called FPSTEST. Is just a unit on a empty map and i start and check the fps without moving. Altis i was getting before 145, now 160 stratis 176 now 193. This by far the best gain in performance from a gpu driver! And i do test all of them WHQL and betas!

I am on a trisli gtx 680. 2560x1440.

They're very small differences though...

I guess I'll have to fraps this later :p

They're very small differences though...

Realize that you're gaining something for nothing, and it becomes a nice free 15 or so free fps.

Free performance is always welcome. Besides, they said this is an early implementation and they will continue working on it to increase performance beyond these beta drivers. AND it supports all DX11 cards, not just the latest and greatest like Mantle. Additionally this is a driver API wide boost, affecting games that have long since been released years ago. Mantle on the other hand requires a game be specifically coded for it. Something you'll never see for older games that have had their support killed off years ago.

So thank you Nvidia. This driver was a nice surprise and I greatly appreciate the increased smoothness.

Although, there is no truly fixing this disaster known as Real Virtuality. Engine is completely FUBAR.

I got ten, ten more average FPS than the old drivers in Star Swarm benchmark. It's free on Steam, give it a try and see for yourself. Using a GTX 750 Ti. This driver is really damn good.

Aaah, this is the thread.

"NVidia Beta drivers 337.50 (7 April) don't increase ARMA3 framerates.

4770K + 770 w 16GB 1600 MHz on SSD here.

Stratis: (empty Stratis hill outside Agia Marina)

322.10: 61

335.00: 61

337.50: 62

Altis: (empty Altis highest hill)

322.10: 65

335.00: 66

337.50: 66

Infantry: (60s)

322.10: 46

335.00: 46

337.50: 46

Helicopters: (60s after takeoff)

322.10: 47-48

337.50: 48

Combined Arms: (60s after touchdown)

322.10: 42

335.00: 45

337.50: 45-46

Support: (60s of attack)

322.10: 37-38

335.00: 37

337.50: 39

Intro: (60s of campaign intro, heli)

322.10: 36

337.50: 38

I believe 335 is WHQL?

Anyways I did 332.10 tests twice, others once and the intro only once on all drivers.

The only significant increase is Combined Arms really... gonna try that again though.

Edit: did another CA and it ended up at 45... so 335.00 may have done something but 337.50 probably not.

Basically all differences are within 1-3 fps and can be ignored."

Wrote that over in the CPU thread yesterday.

Realize that you're gaining something for nothing, and it becomes a nice free 15 or so free fps.

Free performance is always welcome. Besides, they said this is an early implementation and they will continue working on it to increase performance beyond these beta drivers. AND it supports all DX11 cards, not just the latest and greatest like Mantle. Additionally this is a driver API wide boost, affecting games that have long since been released years ago. Mantle on the other hand requires a game be specifically coded for it. Something you'll never see for older games that have had their support killed off years ago.

So thank you Nvidia. This driver was a nice surprise and I greatly appreciate the increased smoothness.

Although, there is no truly fixing this disaster known as Real Virtuality. Engine is completely FUBAR.

No you're not gaining something for nothing. Not if you can't show it in tests anyways ;)

Assuming Grillob3s testing methodology was correct and he did it at least two times to verify the differences he showed were still only marginal. 145 vs 160 fps mathemathically equals 58 vs 60 fps... not noticable in the slightest.

And more importantly probably due to chance. I'll basically want a 10% difference in the 30-60 area before I talking about serious improvements.

I got ten, ten more average FPS than the old drivers in Star Swarm benchmark. It's free on Steam, give it a try and see for yourself. Using a GTX 750 Ti. This driver is really damn good.

Synthetic non-ARMA-benchmarks don't matter :)

Edited by Sneakson

Aaah, this is the thread.

"NVidia Beta drivers 337.50 (7 April) don't increase ARMA3 framerates.

4770K + 770 w 16GB 1600 MHz on SSD here.

Stratis: (empty Stratis hill outside Agia Marina)

322.10: 61

335.00: 61

337.50: 62

Altis: (empty Altis highest hill)

322.10: 65

335.00: 66

337.50: 66

Infantry: (60s)

322.10: 46

337.50: 46

Helicopters: (60s after takeoff)

322.10: 47-48

337.50: 48

Combined Arms: (60s after touchdown)

322.10: 42

335.00: 45

337.50: 45-46

Support: (60s of attack)

322.10: 37-38

337.50: 39

Intro: (60s of campaign intro, heli)

322.10: 36

337.50: 38

I believe 335 is WHQL?

Anyways I did 332.10 tests twice, others once and the intro only once on all drivers.

The only significant increase is Combined Arms really... gonna try that again though.

Edit: did another CA and it ended up at 45... so 335.00 may have done something but 337.50 probably not.

Basically all differences are within 1-3 fps and can be ignored."

Wrote that over in the CPU thread yesterday.

No you're not gaining something for nothing. Not if you can't show it in tests anyways ;)

Assuming Grillob3s testing methodology was correct and he did it at least two times to verify the differences he showed were still only marginal. 145 vs 160 fps mathemathically equals 58 vs 60 fps... not noticable in the slightest.

And more importantly probably due to chance. I'll basically want a 10% difference in the 30-60 area before I talking about serious improvements.

Synthetic non-ARMA-benchmarks don't matter :)

This driver is meant to reduce CPU overhead. You didn't test CPU-heavy situations with hundreds of AI fighting. Star Swarm has thousands of spaceships on the screen fighting each other(CPU heavy), hence the FPS boost with the new drivers.

This driver is meant to reduce CPU overhead. You didn't test CPU-heavy situations with hundreds of AI fighting.
exactly. helo´s bench would be interesting because gpu load goes never up to 99% instead of empty map/vegetation (depending on settings of course).

noticeable or not, 145 vs 160 fps is still 15 free FPS. So the drivers do have an effect.

Well:

1) 145 vs 160 is a quite small difference.

2) If he didn't do the test more than once there's a good chance the difference was only due to exactly chance.

3) If it's chance then the drivers didn't do anything.

4) Even if the drivers did anything 145 to 160 fps is a very small difference comparable to 58 vs 60 fps or 30 vs 29.5 fps.

5) If he's only using a monitor less than 144 Hz he's going to notice even less of the difference in practice.

This driver is meant to reduce CPU overhead. You didn't test CPU-heavy situations with hundreds of AI fighting. Star Swarm has thousands of spaceships on the screen fighting each other(CPU heavy), hence the FPS boost with the new drivers.

Bullshit ;)

Only because there's a difference in other games and synthetic benchmarks doesn't mean there has to be any difference in ARMA.

The Combined Arms showcase has enough AIs (20? 30?) to cause significant slowdown (all the way down to about 20-30 fps a lot of the time) and didn't show any significant improvement.

Hundreds of AI fighting would be untestable.

TBH neither does tests in an empty map.

Thank you Captain. Indeed. I do empty map tests to see if there's any difference what so ever because when there is it usually shows up in an empty editor even when it doesn't in the showcases.

exactly. helo´s bench would be interesting because gpu load goes never up to 99% instead of empty map/vegetation (depending on settings of course).

Well I did do the helo showcase... happy?

I'm sufficiently convinced that this driver update that doesn't claim to do anything about ARMA3 doesn't do anything about ARMA3.