Sign in to follow this  
matty1053

Too many 'idiots'

Well recently, I spent the past 3 weeks at my friends house. I played a ton of ARMA 3 single player and online. IT was a blast most of the time.

First was some mission on Atlis, was sick. Don't know what the hell it was though. I just went with the flow. But then a stupid guy just tked everyone.

LEFT the server.

But while I was playing most of the stuff... we had a warfare type gamemode. It was very good. But there were like 2 people... just pooping around. Literally blowing up everything in our main HQ area. (They were friendlies, let me tell ya')

Then they just kept TKING and stuff. So I ended up leaving. (Was on there for about ~2 hours.)

Then we hopped on ARMA 3: DayZ (I think it was) and It was fun. But there of course was idiots on there. So we ended up leaving.

I literally left ~120 servers cause of the idiots on there.

Does anyone else think there are a ton of 'idiot'/trolls on here?

I think you'll find that no matter what game you play. Best bet is to ask around and try to find a good server, then stick with it.

Why i dont play on public servers, why i have my own server and play coop with friends and people I know who wont tk or be retards, but what you expect from public, its open to everyone.

This type of thread is old news, also in the wrong section if your discussion mp, but ideally as everyone has suggested in the past if you read them, is join a group,

host your own server, rent a game server, join a squad, a community, a clan, and or find a server that is public (none i know of) that are decent and admined, so forth.

Its not a matter of thinking or knowing that there are idiots or trolls, your post and the many hundreds of other posts complaining about the same thing over the years,

along with hackers, and other bs you know for yourself already, really not needed by anyone else to confirm if theres idiots or trolls out there its experienced enough,

as well as in other games.

I think you may want to edit the title and change "idiots" to "trolls", it seems pretty aggressive atm...

Now then, to get to your point, I think everyone on here can agree, there are craploads of trolls in ArmA these days. I personally believe it all stems back to the players that DayZ mod brought along when it made ArmA much more "mainstream". Before DayZ came along, trolls were around, but VERY hard to come by.

Now then, the majority of the DayZ community is pretty chill and either conforms to milsim or doesn't bother, but there is a large portion of players that just bought DayZ to mess with people, then noticed "Oh hey, look, the vanilla game, of which we care nothing for, is full of super-hardcore milsimmers who hate it when people fuck up their shit." Before DayZ, they weren't willing to spend the money to buy ArmA just to troll. DayZ gave them a reason to buy ArmA, which is why a lot of milsimmers dislike the mod.

As to how to avoid these trolls, I have three tips for you.

1: Try to find servers with anti-trolling measures. These would be things like friendly-fire off, scripts that prevent grenade throwing in base, only allowing pilots on teamspeak to fly, ect. Some servers enforce these rules very well, and they tend to be the most populated.

2: Play on dev branch. This is really good for if you just want to set up a mission with some friends and maybe a few random people, most of the trolls don't even know dev branch exists, and aren't willing to leave the realm of high-population servers to troll like 6 dudes on dev branch. Also you can try out whatever new stuff BI has cooked up, right now i'm having a blast playing the Zeus DLC with a bunch of random dudes on public servers, haven't been trolled once since it came out on dev branch.

3: Join a community. There are lots of big ArmA communities out there, and there is one for just about everyone (strict rules, lenient rules, large, small, infantry based, combined arms based, ect) and i'm sure you can find one that suits you. Many of these communities recruit selectively and host private servers, so there is ZERO chance of running into trolls, and plus you get to meet a lot of new people who like to play ArmA!

Amen WestonSammy

OP is a whiner. get tough, and report griefers to the server host, not here.

Public servers work..., just not all the time.

Report, mute and play the game.

....Join a community. There are lots of big ArmA communities out there, and there is one for just about everyone (strict rules, lenient rules, large, small, infantry based, combined arms based, ect) and i'm sure you can find one that suits you. Many of these communities recruit selectively and host private servers, so there is ZERO chance of running into trolls, and plus you get to meet a lot of new people who like to play ArmA!

How do we find such a community, is there a list where we can apply to join?

I'm over 60 and have been playing on the play-by-email PC tactical wargame circuit for many years at a number of clubs and managed to top a few ladders and pick up a few trophies and awards along the way.

But because AA3 can't be played by email I'm having to play against AI bots, and miss having human opponents.

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"- Ernest Hemingway

One of my old clubs-

fgm-bannerB.png

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Although I agree that you shouldn’t get too worked up over people being idiots online, I understand that it is a serious problem and it can be extremely frustrating.

I only get about 3 hours of play time ever 3 or 4 days so when I do get to play, the last thing I want is someone wasting my time because they don’t want to play the game correctly. For the most part I don’t have time to wait for communities to sit around and plan missions or attend weekly training either. I like fast…Click and Play servers that allow me to jump in wherever, assess how badly we’re getting beaten and go from there. Haha

That is why I put this in my wish list….

Across the board Team authority to punish Team Killers/vehicle destroyers: New options for players to take matters into their own hands when admins are not online. #VoteFreezeBlind- Blinds and Freezes all actions by the player by taking away their ability to see, shoot, move, communicate, throw grenades, check their inventory, and map for 2 minutes, 5 minutes, or until server restart. (If there is a way to keep them from disconnecting from the server for 5 minutes just to waste their time I would like that as well.) Too many times have I had to endure someone with nothing better to do than sit in spawn or just outside and repeatedly kill teammates or blow up vehicles in an effort to cripple their team. We should have some ability to annoy them until they go away with something that constantly halts their game play via a 2/3 vote. Vote kick is ineffective because the harassing player can just return and continue or make a new profile and return…at least with this you would stop them from having as much fun. If they change their profile name then you can just vote against that name too. The servers should remember those names until it restarts or have a #Voteban - which would ban that name for 24 hours. Perhaps we could also have a #Votecheck– Which would give all other players a window in the map that would allow them to check the inventory, rate of travel, and whatever else would be useful for determining dishonest gameplay. The votes for a check should NOT be visible to the player who is being checked, meaning it shouldn't show up in chat for that person. This would stop them from turning off their cheats before the vote was passed, unnecessary banter, and preemptive or retaliatory douchebaggery.

I’m not very fond of having admins simply because one has to be online in order for any action to be taken. The power needs to lie with the players to regulate themselves.

As others have said… If you have time for a community you might try that or if you find a server or group of servers that are managed by a clan you could contact them and see if they have a password protected server for trusted players.

Personally I would avoid servers with Friendly Fire Off as I think that it not only takes away a major aspect of the game…it also prevents you from defending yourself against such turds.

Servers that ban firing or throwing grenades in base are better but still not great since most people use vehicles to team kill. It’s best to have a plan for such instances…..For example: Leave the restricted area as fast as possible and stand just outside… use your map to single out the turd and just keep killing him till he gets mad and goes away…or turns to scripts and kills the server. Haha

If that sever is one that you like and it has a TeamSpeak Channel then I would highly advise jumping on there and asking for help.

How do we find such a community, is there a list where we can apply to join?

If you click on ARMA 3 and then on ARMA 3 – SQUADS AND FANPAGES… That’s where some go to put up recruiting information for their clans. …..Be ready to do a lot of searching though.

Also there’s a website called…. Armaclans.com, you might find something there......I'm sure there are probably better ways but those are the only ones that come to me right now.

Jep, lots of retarded trolling kids lately on the public servers who steal peoples stuff and teamkill on purpose while squealing in the voicechat.

Only way to deal with them is playing on servers that have active admins or admins you can call somehow real quick to ban those little fuckers.

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions.

Now, I'm gonna TK this thread while it's changing its gear.

Closing.