Sign in to follow this  
coolts

Campaign episode 2: Attention deficit and micromanaging AI inventory

I would like to ask if there’s a better way to do the specific thing I’m trying to do.

In this mission you are woefully unprepared. 2 guys with no night vision equipment, at night, against an island for starters.

Once you burn through your NATO ammo you must go on the scrounge. Fair enough. But, for the love of god, how can I get my AI teammate to reliably;

1) Swap his weapon

2) Take ammo

I select him, and then hit 6 then 0 then whatever gets me to “inventoryâ€, and then he runs off to the hills ignoring the piles of dead bodies loaded with equipment.

So I move him near a corpse, point at it after pressing F2 so its highlighted red then 6 and 0 and “rearm at xxxxâ€. He twitches, and then his inventory screen pops up showing just the weapon by the body, not the contents of the dead enemy’s rucksacks. It's infuriating.

I have to be doing this wrong surely?

Do I just dump stuff on the floor, team switch and pick it up like he’s a dog?

Thread moved. Please make sure to create such threads in the right forums. ;)

Very often I simply don't play missions or campaign which force me to rely on AI because micromanaging the AI is too tedious. They just don't follow orders well enough. Rearming and getting into a vehicle under fire are just examples for uncooperative AI behaviour. Often you will have to teamswitch into the AI in question and perform the desired action for him. If the mission does not support teamswitch you can try Kronzky's cheat tool which allows you to change many aspects of SP missions. http://kronzky.info/addons/supportcall/index.htm .

<maddog> Yeah, I was unsure which forum to post. There are a few too many subforums IMO. This issue has affected me for a long time but it really came to a head In this mission.

The AI needs a few simple tweaks to make it usable. A squad inventory system for instance. Pointing and clicking all over the place to 'maybe' get one guy to pick up one clip from one dead guy is not workable and has been ignored since the original OFP IIRC. I can easily assign a group to a team and order them to "flank left". A complex infantry manoeuvre that takes months of training IRL and I can do it in 4 or 5 commands, and yet. "Pick up the bloody gun in front of you and defend yourself" is beyond the scope of the ARMA control set. Sigh.