Sign in to follow this  
instagoat

What is the point of the Typhoon?

(EDIT: Wrong title, should read Tempest. Typhoon is the irl name of that vehicle though, so I think I'll leave it nontheless.)

After observing the feedback tracker a little bit and doing some testing of my own, the Tempest has turned out to be a complete dog of a truck when compared to its real life counterpart. It is tactically and mechanically nearly completely identical to the Zamak, as such (the biggie first):

Protection: Zamak has no protection against heavy calibers, Tempest currently is precariously armored around the drivers compartement and completely unarmored for the transport versions. The driver's compartement can protect two people against small arms fire (at best.). So, as a battlefield tactical transport, using multiple ifrits makes more sense than using one Tempest, since the Ifrit can carry five or six people last I checked. The Tempest carries two protected and gives a much bigger and better target than two Ifrits.

Transport space: Same as the Zamak, and designed in the same fashion. Completely unprotected transport compartement renders this vehicle as unusable as the Zamak in a contested battlespace since the transported soldiers are prone to injury even by stray pistol bullets, and the truck can also not carry more Soldiers or Equipment than the Zamak.

Mobility: Moves heavier and slower than either Zamak or HEMTT, on road and off roads, decreasing strategic mobility as well as responsiveness to threats on the battlefield. Combined with the much larger profile and unprotected transport compartement, I would rather not ride in this vehicle if I had the choice. Again, two unarmed Ifrits are much better suited to transporting a single squad than one of these trucks, since they offer much better mobility AND protection, while they should only provide better mobility.

Armament: Nonexistent. The HEMTT and Zamak are completely different in tactical role than the Tempest, which is designed to work in frontline environments while the other two trucks are not. But since the ingame variant actually does not conform to the original design specs despite providing remnants of it for the driver and codriver, the lack of armament makes it even more doubtful that anybody would use this vehicle ingame.

If I oppose it, I would prefer it over any other Transport such as the Ifrit or even the Zamak, since it is a much better Target because of its size and low speed, and because the cargo compartement is so high above the ground that no natural or man-made obstacle aside from two-story buildings are suitable for covering it. Get to the side of the truck and rake it, you are bound to kill someone.

So, I am wondering if this vehicle was just introduced for the sake of "CSAT needs a truck of their own with a unique look but that is functionally identical to all other transport trucks", in which case it kind of devalues the choice for this vehicle. The Taifun is a pretty badass truck, and this thing arriving on the battlefield should be a signal different from "Just ambush this and you're bound to get the occupants done over before they can get back at you."

How about "Oh dang its the heavy truck that rifles and Machineguns do nothing against and it carries twelve people, better get AT on it before it gets into cover and unloads its cargo."?

The ticket I mentioned is here: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=17826

I want to add that I am in no way angry or disappointed or "omg quitting arma forever" or anything, I am just a little bewildered over the choice to castrate this vehicle and wondering what the motivation was. I suspect the answer could well be "balancing", but by now that feels like too obvious an answer to assume. If it is, though, I'd hope that it could be corrected, or, the zamak removed completely for CSAT.

First…. What he said.

Second:

To answer your question in short…. Yes it seems more and more likely that the Tempest Transport trucks were added only to give the CSAT side a DIFFERENT but EQUAL truck in comparison to the HEMTT.

As for the armor….I’d like to think that the lack of bullet resistance for the cab is just some sort of serious mistake/oversight but it will be fixed later… (Fingers crossed)

In case you weren’t aware, the actual Typhoon Armored Troop Transport Truck that you’re looking for was added to the game (Sadly) as the Tempest Repair Truck.

In the thread listed above on page 2 I go into detail about how I wish they would have done the trucks. Basically I feel there should be an Unarmored and an UP-Armored version of both trucks. However, I feel that the cab (Where the Driver and A Driver sit) should be able to stop 7.62mm -9mm for both versions.

HEMTT UP-Armored: http://i62.tinypic.com/mrz1mw.jpg

AAF KAMAZ Up-Armored: http://i59.tinypic.com/v2zhv8.jpg (I forgot to add these to the original post on that thread.) http://i62.tinypic.com/28jzlao.jpg

Personally I dig the Tempest Trucks...Ive added them to everything Ive edited or a mission Ive made..they look better than the Hemmt does inmho...

JC

They said the Zamak will remain in CSAT's inventory to ensure compatibility with older scenarios. I really like the Tempest truck, though I wish there was a transport based on the repair variant, with what looks like a fully protected compartment.