Sign in to follow this  
alexharvey52

Arma 3 VPS Server Suggestions

Hello,

I am planning on moving from a Vilayer Game Server to a dedicated VPS Server so I can host at least 2 servers and a headless client. We are based in the UK so any server in Europe would be good. Has anybody got any suggestions? Thanks :)

We're in exactly the same boat, but we also found some good dedicated server deals as well. The problem we've found with most VPSs is that they dont list cpu specs and when we enquired they can only guarantee minimum specs which turn out to be pathetic.

Long story short here are our 3 shortlisters:

1) NFO VPS - 4 cores, 4gb ram, 400gb storage 6TB bandwidth cap, windows included at no extra cost = £40 p/m link

- After enquiring they claim to run their VPS nodes on either Intel Xeon E5-2690s or Intel Xeon E5-2690V2s

2a) OVH VPS (cloud) - 4 cores, 4gb ram, 50gb storage, 10tb bandwidth cap, windows included at no extra cost = £16 p/m

2b) OVH VPS (cloud) - 6 cores, 8gb ram, 100gb storage, 10tb bandwidth cap windows included at no extra cost = £31 p/m link for both

- haven't recieved a reply to my enquiry but looking around the web shows forums posts and reviews saying 2GHz cpu guaranteed with some people getting upto 3.2ghz

3) OneProvider dedicated - Intel Xeon E3-1230, 8gb ram, 2tb storage, doesnt mention bandwidth cap = £23 p/m with 5% discount code OPSWIFT5. Windows 2008 web is another £17 p/m link

To put it into perspective we currently have an arma 2 and arma 3 server from vilayer with 40% off from the black friday deals + a 10 slot TS server which we're paying £21 p/m for. Apparently these game server nodes run on 3.4/3.5ghz xeons (which is better than we expected tbh!)

Edited by Sari

colo or rent ?

Rent

We're in exactly the same boat, but we also found some good dedicated server deals as well. The problem we've found with most VPSs is that they dont list cpu specs and when we enquired they can only guarantee minimum specs.

Long story short here are our 3 shortlisters:

1) NFO VPS - 4 cores, 4gb ram, 400gb storage 6TB bandwidth cap, windows included at no extra cost = £40 p/m

- After enquiring they claim to run their VPS nodes on either Intel Xeon E5-2690s or Intel Xeon E5-2690V2s

2a) OVH VPS (cloud) - 4 cores, 4gb ram, 50gb storage, 10tb bandwidth cap, windows included at no extra cost = £16 p/m

2b) OVH VPS (cloud) - 6 cores, 8gb ram, 100gb storage, 10tb bandwidth cap windows included at no extra cost = £31 p/m

- haven't recieved a reply to my enquiry but looking around the web shows forums posts and reviews saying 2GHz guaranteed with some people getting upto 3.2ghz

3) OneProvider dedicated - Intel Xeon E3-1230, 8gb ram, 2tb storage, doesnt mention bandwidth cap = £23 p/m with 5% discount code OPSWIFT5. Windows 2008 web is another £17 p/m

To put it into perspective we currently have an arma 2 and arma 3 server from vilayer with 40% off from the black friday deals + a 10 slot TS server which we're paying £21 p/m for. Apparently these game servers run on 3.4/3.5ghz xeons (which is better than we expected tbh!)

Okay thanks for the info :) I really just need to move to a VPS to host a headless client. I may check out ovh.co.uk however apparently their support is very poor.

Edited by alexharvey52

I'd take these "My awful experience with X" posts around the web with a pinch of salt unless there are lots of them for a particular provider. If you want to play the "poor support" card because you found a rant thread on google then the same can be said for vilayer (I believe theres a thread on here somewhere) or any of the ones I've listed above. I don't know how they treated you but vilayer have been pretty dam good with us so far support wise.

I'd take these "My awful experience with X" posts around the web with a pinch of salt unless there are lots of them for a particular provider. If you want to play the "poor support" card because you found a rant thread on google then the same can be said for vilayer (I believe theres a thread on here somewhere) or any of the ones I've listed above. I don't know how they treated you but vilayer have been pretty dam good with us so far support wise.

Yeah I guess. What sort of vps specs should I be looking at for hosting 2/3 arma 3 servers?

Im no expert here but this is my opinion:

Main thing is getting a cpu with decent architecture and high clockspeed (ie sandy bridge or higher), for each arma 3 sever instance you should be looking at:

2 cores

2gb ram (I think 2gb is the limit, could be wrong)

2gb storage for each arma 3 server

~13gb for each headless client

Then theres stuff like having enough resources for the OS to run without hindering anything, extra space for serverside mods etc.

Im no expert here but this is my opinion:

Main thing is getting a cpu with decent architecture and high clockspeed (ie sandy bridge or higher), for each arma 3 sever instance you should be looking at:

2 cores

2gb ram (I think 2gb is the limit, could be wrong)

2gb storage for each arma 3 server

~13gb for each headless client

Then theres stuff like having enough resources for the OS to run without hindering anything, extra space for serverside mods etc.

Okay cool I think I will get the VPS Cloud 2 from https://www.ovh.co.uk

4 vCores

4 GB RAM

Hard drive 50 GB Raid 10

That should be enough for 1 arma 3 server and a headless client?

It would be so much better if I could just get a headless client via villayer xD

Edited by alexharvey52

with OVH you have the potential of getting a rubbish CPU though. From what I can see its a bit luck of the draw. Like i said you are only guaranteed 2ghz (and even that's only something I dragged off a forum somewhere) but you MIGHT get upto 3.2ghz. Even then im assuming its a sandy or higher xeon.

However at that price i guess its worth running side by side for a month and if you arent happy then you stick with vilayer.

with OVH you have the potential of getting a rubbish CPU though. From what I can see its a bit luck of the draw. Like i said you are only guaranteed 2ghz (and even that's only something I dragged off a forum somewhere) but you MIGHT get upto 3.2ghz. Even then im assuming its a sandy or higher xeon.

However at that price i guess its worth running side by side for a month and if you arent happy then you stick with vilayer.

Hmm. I suppose I could keep the Arma 3 server on Vilayer and then put the headless client on a VPS.

Don't do that, there is a lot of bandwidth consumption between HC and the server, the latency alone is a bad idea. HC should be local or at most one hop away.

Don't do that, there is a lot of bandwidth consumption between HC and the server, the latency alone is a bad idea. HC should be local or at most one hop away.

I ended up going with the 3 core nfo server :)

Alright so I checked out OVH cloud VPS 2 and it looks like it could work, could someone please confirm these specs.

4 core

4gb RAM guaranteed

50GB RAID 10 storage

with OS: Windows R2 Standard 2008, overall cost each month: £16 ?

Is this enough to run one Atlis Life server