Sign in to follow this  
drebin052

Next DLC and Expansion Speculation

Which DLC do you like the most?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which DLC do you like the most?

• Helicopter DLC
    • Marksmen DLC

I think the Far East setting is a massive red herring.

[...] hinting strongly at the word 'splendid'

'Splendid' was the project name for Arma 3 and such references have been made since the Alpha. They wouldn't do the balkans anyway since it would be too similar to Chernarus, and they have said the new terrain will be something very different.

The only thing different, would be a terrain with rivers. But they said that isn't planned for Arma 3. But for some reason, i think they're lying. I don't remember an Official map with a decent river that even made sense being on the map, and don't count Bystrica to that list. The river made no difference to gameplay. However, i don't think the Balkans would be too similar to Chernarus, being a Russian setting. However, isn't Operation Splendid supposed to have taken place in Yugoslavia? Meaning that it's super close to Greece, which would follow the story line. But just remember, BIS don't have to follow real life guidelines (unfortunately for us), as Chernarus was actually the Czech Republic, just replaced the other side of the Bystrica River with Ocean.

The only thing different, would be a terrain with rivers. But they said that isn't planned for Arma 3. But for some reason, i think they're lying. I don't remember an Official map with a decent river that even made sense being on the map, and don't count Bystrica to that list. The river made no difference to gameplay. However, i don't think the Balkans would be too similar to Chernarus, being a Russian setting. However, isn't Operation Splendid supposed to have taken place in Yugoslavia? Meaning that it's super close to Greece, which would follow the story line. But just remember, BIS don't have to follow real life guidelines (unfortunately for us), as Chernarus was actually the Czech Republic, just replaced the other side of the Bystrica River with Ocean.

There hasn't really been an Official map other than Bystrica with a river on it unless you count dried riverbeds. Everon, Kolgujev, Malden, and Desert Island didn't have any. Nogova has something similar but it is more of an inlet. Sahrani also had inlets. Porto and Rahmadi didn't have any. Chernarus had places where it could've had rivers had they chosen to put them in. Utes had none. Takistan, Zargabad, and Proving Grounds had dry riverbeds although I guess technically Zargabad had one. Altis and Stratis I think have riverbeds. I still think it will be somewhere in the Pacific. I hope for European though.

The only other solution i could think of is hopefully something much more life like, in the South East Asia area, but to be honest, if they're not going to include waterways in their gameplay, but rather large open oceans (and they've already confirmed there is going to be an ocean, or water more vaguely), than i honestly have to say that's not much more different than say... Every other Arma terrain with water, ever. It's it's not unique... Than i have no idea. I'll just stick with the first ever rumors of it being Hong Kong, because why not? lol

Than i have no idea. I'll just stick with the first ever rumors of it being Hong Kong, because why not? lol
Make it Sleeping Dogs Hong Kong (actually just Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and the New Territories aren't in-game) and I'll second it!

Make it Sleeping Dogs Hong Kong (actually just Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and the New Territories aren't in-game) and I'll second it!

Yeah, if its one thing this game handles remarkably well its huge urban areas :rolleyes:

Yeah, if its one thing this game handles remarkably well its huge urban areas :rolleyes:
Well he said Hong Kong. ;)

I don't think it will be the Pacific, that's still too similar to the Med. I'm hoping China or Alaska, or somewhere (geographically) in between.

I don't think it will be the Pacific, that's still too similar to the Med. I'm hoping China or Alaska, or somewhere (geographically) in between.

How is that similar to the Med? There's a lot of diversity and it is a lot of jungle as well. I would rather it be Alaska though. At least I could get some trees to use outside of one specific location then.

Hey, maybe they'll improve urban areas and add kung fu mechanics. Everybody loves kung fu mechanics.

How is that similar to the Med?

It's too similar, i.e not different enough. A hot place with palm trees.

I would rather it be Alaska though. At least I could get some trees to use outside of one specific location then.

One of the first things I thought when they announced Lemnos was that it's a very specific type of terrain that can't really double for anything else, particularly because it's an island. That was one of the things that was so great about Chernarus - you can pretend it's almost anywhere else in Europe, and its assets could be used for other terrains without looking too out of place.

Most people think next terrain will likely be in Southeast Asia, but allow me to speculate and guess more specific location.

Indonesia

http://i.imgur.com/0Mfa8sz.jpg (127 kB)

On this picture we can see a wooden pier with a thatched roof, so we can tell next map will be an island.

Next we have a lot of rattan furniture.

http://i.imgur.com/AYlgGsz.jpg (299 kB)

Everyone knows rattan furniture is made in Indonesia.

Not conviced, you say? Then look at this:

http://i.imgur.com/M0WQJrm.jpg (49 kB)

A traditional teak bench. This design is very typical for Indonesia, specifically Bali.

Case closed.

Case closed.

Maybe I'm a cruel man, but if it turns out not to be Indonesia. Imma quote this in my signature :cool:

If it's Indonesia I hope there's an Aussie faction!!

Can't wait to sling load crates of Vegemite from island to island.

Most people think next terrain will likely be in Southeast Asia, but allow me to speculate and guess more specific location.

Indonesia

http://i.imgur.com/0Mfa8sz.jpg (127 kB)

On this picture we can see a wooden pier with a thatched roof, so we can tell next map will be an island.

Next we have a lot of rattan furniture.

http://i.imgur.com/AYlgGsz.jpg (299 kB)

Everyone knows rattan furniture is made in Indonesia.

Not conviced, you say? Then look at this:

http://i.imgur.com/M0WQJrm.jpg (49 kB)

A traditional teak bench. This design is very typical for Indonesia, specifically Bali.

Case closed.

Just wondering, where did you get these pictures?

Just wondering, where did you get these pictures?

Black Element's website (BI's studio in Thailand).

This is actually a pretty solid lead. Black Element is a subsidiary of BI which provides 3D Models. Their portfolio includes assets that are already used by e.g. DayZ (Welding mask, Sledge Hammer, Military Tent or Arma 3 (Party tent) and many more.

Among their portfolio, there seems to be a distinct selection of assets that fit exactly into the quoted scenario, such as more furniture or this jetski and old boats.

Their job description clearly reads that they are producing assets only for BI (and their Arma and DayZ projects).

This is really interesting and a excellent find!

Edit: Some more interesting pictures I found:

http://blackelement.net/images/popup/furniture_18.jpg (229 kB)

Filename is Furniture - TrashBin II Arma Version. Note the font on the bin, which is stylizing the Javanese writing system

And here we have a clear indication that the rattan furniture is actually intended for Arma

http://blackelement.net/images/popup/furniture_15.jpg

Filename is Furniture - Sofa II Arma Version

Edited by PurePassion

So that's where all our furniture went. I knew this "device" was just a distraction so those CSAT armchair Generals could steal all our sofas they've been after all along. ;)

Great find!

According to my findings, Indonesia is a very Waterous, and mountainous terrain. If those Jet-Ski's are for Arma, then that'd make sense as well. However, based on a structure they showed some time ago for the Expansion, there may even be Urban Cites too. Though, I hope that if they're going to make a city, they better put actual multi story buildings instead of 2 or 3 of the same exact buildings surrounded by civilian houses like they did in Kavala.

On another note though, could we possibly see more Naval assets now? Or do you think we're going to see another Speed boat HMG with Indonesian paint scheme

Also, in relation to what a Dev stated a while back, the map will be like none before, as well as being another "Master Piece", as Altis is, a unique, and diverse environment with Lots of opportunities. What could this mean, especially if the map is indeed, Indonesia.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Indonesia would be a good balance, I guess. NATO (well, not NATO), China, and an Indonesian GREENFOR.

I honestly do like Arma branching out from the typical Russia and Iraq stuff. The Greeks were cool, Southeast Asia is cool as well.

If it will be Indonesia , then it will be sweet since it is in the Pacific area and it's asia based land , better than Albania imho

China as a CSAT will fit there perfectly

Lots of interesting pictures in that portfolio. I'm also happy to see lots of furniture, props, etc. Looks like hiring an external company gives them the chance to also give some love to all those small details that fall under "nice to have".