Sign in to follow this  
drebin052

Next DLC and Expansion Speculation

Which DLC do you like the most?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which DLC do you like the most?

• Helicopter DLC
    • Marksmen DLC

In my opinion i think they should just stop producing more content and start finishing everything they have in the game instead.

But it´s more important to get your money obviously.

This is not a one man indie development studio. The people working on new content is not the same people that are working hard right now as we speak to fix bugs and optimize the game. Everyone has a speciality and a place in the organization. Are you saying they should send content creators on a long holiday until the bugs are dealt with?

This is not a one man indie development studio. The people working on new content is not the same people that are working hard right now as we speak to fix bugs and optimize the game. Everyone has a speciality and a place in the organization. Are you saying they should send content creators on a long holiday until the bugs are dealt with?

I´m saying that if the content creators are so quick to push out content that other people (like animators) can´t keep up, hire some more to balance it out.

Otherwise what you´ll end up with is a shitload of unfinished content (which seems to be the norm in the Arma verse)

Lots of games have unfinished content, but the key difference is those games have the words "Alpha" "Beta" or "Early Access" in their name.

Edited by RushHour

In my opinion i think they should just stop producing more content and start finishing everything they have in the game instead.

On the contrary, BI care more about their players experience and the community then anything, why do you think they orginized the Make Arma contest? Why do you think Arma goes on sale every time the oppertunity arises? They realize that people who spend time and energy in the community, into creating content, into upholding the title, are more valuable in the long term.

I bought the supporters edition of Arma 3 for 49.99, and contributed to the Alpha and Beta development. Now I get 2 DLC's, an Expansion pack and any future updates to the game completely free of charge. I dare you to name, any modern developer ANY, developer who still does that. Actually making pre-ordering, altough it wasn't a pre-order technically because I got acces to the product as soon as I bought it, worth your while by rewarding your support directly with extra content. True extra content, not some stupid skins or badges. In terms of content, what I get for free, other could charge up to 40 dollars extra for, perhaps even doubeling the pric, doesn't seem to be uncommon these days.

As far as finishing what they have released. Arma 3 didn't release with a bigger washlist of bugs and glitches then any other modern game. Sure it has some shortcomings, but those are just he limitations of the game for now. Just because you feel something isn't good enough, doesn't mean it isn't finished, it just means that the dev's have ended the development phase at some point in order to actually release the game. Then again, BI are known for suppporting their titles long into the future with updates and patches and extra content. Several years after Arma 2 was released, Arma 1 still recieved patches, and the same goes for Arma 2 and Arma 3. So anything that actually isn't finished, will be at some point, everything else is just icing on the cake.

I´m saying that if the content creators are so quick to push out content that other people (like animators) can´t keep up, hire some more to balance it out.

Otherwise what you´ll end up with is a shitload of unfinished content (which seems to be the norm in the Arma verse)

Lots of games have unfinished content, but the key difference is those games have the words "Alpha" "Beta" or "Early Access" in their name.

Now how would you know what goes on in the BI studio? Have you ever been there, have seen the development process, have you witnissed people lacking behind? Honestly, BI is a professional game studio, and if there really was a fault in their conceptual cycle, we would know. Because not only would they tell us, like they always do when the hit an obstacle, we would see it in the game. But not as you discribed it to be "a shitload of unfinished content". That is just not true for Arma 3. Based on your logic. I could say any game isn't finished because its lacking something, that I feel should be part of the game.

I could say that the Crysis games were never finished because I was never able to unzip the Nanosuit and take a piss. However Duke Nukem Forever allowed me to take a piss, but you wouldn't argue that Duke Nukem was more polished than Crysis now would you? There's a big diffrence between an unfinished game, and an unsatisfying game. The first is clearly observable, the latter is personal opinion. So if you feel that the Arma games are never finished, maybe you shouldn't buy them.

Edited by CyclonicTuna

But helping generate more revenue assists in justifying further work on the game.

Look at the OA upgrade for Arma2. It was well worth it.

Not to mention the fact that it seems as if we may see a lack of end-user addons this time around, and perhaps for the forseeable future as quality constraints increase the difficulty of producing additional content.

... I would really prefer additional content, especially unique content, not just reskins (not to say those are bad).

On the contrary, BI care more about their players experience and the community then anything

Not even close to other games sorry.

why do you think they orginized the Make Arma contest?

PR 101

Why do you think Arma goes on sale every time the oppertunity arises?

More people, more money. That´s why sales exist not only in the Arma universe. They want you to buy their game, hence some leniency on the price. No different then other businesses.

They realize that people who spend time and energy in the community, into creating content, into upholding the title, are more valuable in the long term.

So they can continue putting out broken games like they have done for many years. Modders are the guys who patch up the game to what should have been included, it´s really a golden ticket for a game company when you think about it.

I bought the supporters edition of Arma 3 for 49.99, and contributed to the Alpha and Beta development. Now I get 2 DLC's, an Expansion pack and any future updates to the game completely free of charge. I dare you to name, any modern developer ANY, developer who still does that.

Well first of all, any future updates is an abstract thing as you don´t know how many DLC´s or Expansion packs will be made.

But in terms getting something for pre-ordering and thereby supporting the game, Thief gave you a DLC for pre-ordering, Assetto Corsa gave you a free Car/Track pack if you supported them by pre-ordering.

Actually making pre-ordering, altough it wasn't a pre-order technically because I got acces to the product as soon as I bought it, worth your while by rewarding your support directly with extra content. True extra content, not some stupid skins or badges. In terms of content, what I get for free, other could charge up to 40 dollars extra for, perhaps even doubeling the pric, doesn't seem to be uncommon these days.

Basically what happened was you bought Arma 3 for 49.99, a supporter edition that you paid extra for. Meaning you already paid some for any upcoming DLC. It´s not completely free candy as you might think.

You could say you got the DLC for much less because you bought it long before it was even conceived.

Arma 3 didn't release with a bigger washlist of bugs and glitches then any other modern game.

I disagree, I´ve never experienced a game with this much broken or half finished content. But that´s just my experience.

Then again, BI are known for suppporting their titles long into the future with updates and patches and extra content.

Because the game was half finished at release. Just like the games before that.

So anything that actually isn't finished, will be at some point, everything else is just icing on the cake.

Only problem is Arma 4 possibly even Arma 4 will be out then so i have no interest in Arma 3 by that stage.

Now how would you know what goes on in the BI studio?

I never said that, i do however have the product they sell on my computer.

That is just not true for Arma 3.

In my opinion it clearly is. But keep banging the drum, they might hire you some day.

I could say that the Crysis games were never finished because I was never able to unzip the Nanosuit and take a piss.

And in Arma only half the suit would be finished and with half the animations.

So if you feel that the Arma games are never finished, maybe you shouldn't buy them.

Or maybe you should stop writing walls of text hoping one day to get hired by Arma as a yes-man banging a big drum outside their office?

Maybe you should ignore my posts if they go against your indoctrination of the Arma way of doing halfassed things?

You can respond if you want but we both know that it will end up in walls of text from yourself to the point where the thread gets locked. I see your point, and disagree with it. As i´m sure you do the same to me.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

But helping generate more revenue assists in justifying further work on the game.

Yea like giving away half a million euros in a game competition. I´m not sure but i think with that kind of money, half a million euros you could probably support a few new developers salaries for some time.

500.000 EUR

Say a salary per year per developer is 50.000 Euro, that´s 10 years of salary for one developer they could have hired with that money.

Not anything against the people in the competition, i´m sure they love the chance to win that much money, it is what it is but if you need to sell DLC´s to justify continue working on the game then handing out half a million euro to a competition makes little sense.

(but hey, Zeus made no sense either so i guess it´s normal)

Some good old fashioned QUALITY CONTROL would be nice. 1. Does it work as intended? 2. Is something missing? 3. Is there any apparent glitches?

A10 would not have been released when it did if they did any of the above checks for example because it would fail under Question 1. Instead it went through Dev, people reported, still went through to final game, then after a while it got fixed.

Edited by RushHour

How about we cut the random, off topic chit chat and focus on "The next DLC Speculation" as the title suggests? It could benefit everyone.

I have a feeling, we could see the Indian Ocean areas, such as NATO fleets breaking through to Turkey, Iran (Spec ops missions/mass invasion) or even Africa, after being under pressure from CSAT it joins in.

That's probably just me, I would hope to see expanded British Forces, with British forces being deployed to Africa to fight the rather poor army with African rebels still going strong as a part of a mass invasion to distract and atack the CSAT forces on another front.

It would bring back some good old insurgency I suppose.

Not even close to other games sorry.

PR 101

More people, more money. That´s why sales exist not only in the Arma universe. They want you to buy their game, hence some leniency on the price. No different then other businesses.

So they can continue putting out broken games like they have done for many years. Modders are the guys who patch up the game to what should have been included, it´s really a golden ticket for a game company when you think about it.

Well first of all, any future updates is an abstract thing as you don´t know how many DLC´s or Expansion packs will be made.

But in terms getting something for pre-ordering and thereby supporting the game, Thief gave you a DLC for pre-ordering, Assetto Corsa gave you a free Car/Track pack if you supported them by pre-ordering.

Basically what happened was you bought Arma 3 for 49.99, a supporter edition that you paid extra for. Meaning you already paid some for any upcoming DLC. It´s not completely free candy as you might think.

You could say you got the DLC for much less because you bought it long before it was even conceived.

I disagree, I´ve never experienced a game with this much broken or half finished content. But that´s just my experience.

Because the game was half finished at release. Just like the games before that.

Only problem is Arma 4 possibly even Arma 4 will be out then so i have no interest in Arma 3 by that stage.

I never said that, i do however have the product they sell on my computer.

In my opinion it clearly is. But keep banging the drum, they might hire you some day.

And in Arma only half the suit would be finished and with half the animations.

Or maybe you should stop writing walls of text hoping one day to get hired by Arma as a yes-man banging a big drum outside their office?

Maybe you should ignore my posts if they go against your indoctrination of the Arma way of doing halfassed things?

You can respond if you want but we both know that it will end up in walls of text from yourself to the point where the thread gets locked. I see your point, and disagree with it. As i´m sure you do the same to me.

Alright then, for the sake of this thread and for the sake of making a point I won't reply with a huge wall of text, eventhough I find that a highly exaggerated observation of my posts. But if you honestly think, if you honestly believe that I do this to get a job at Bohemia... wow. I just... I have no words for that.

All I can say is to you is, is that you have no clue how a community works. You talk big as if you have something to prove and you want to show everybody you're right, and force your opinion on them. Good luck with that.

You talk big as if you have something to prove and you want to show everybody you're right, and force your opinion on them. Good luck with that.

That´s funny, i was just about to say the exact same thing about you!

Good luck with the application mate.

That´s funny, i was just about to say the exact same thing about you!

Good luck with the application mate.

Sorry, but you are realy pathetic, just stop all the fight

No i´m not, and it was already stopped before you showed up.

I imagine a map like such, or something similar in Asia.

http://wallpapersus.com/wallpapers/2012/11/River-And-Mountains-900x1440.jpg (367 kB)

Or,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/FeatherRiver.JPG (910 kB)

But than again, until they somehow manage to fix rocks, than well... we got problems.

Or heck, something like...

http://www.wallpaperdisk.com/admin/wallpapers/pictures/river%20passing%20between%20mountains2837.jpg (274 kB)

Would be amazing.

I was reading the Eurogamer article from here but could not comment as per the rules for that thread but this caught my attention:

After Operation Arrowhead, Bohemia decided to do something quite different, something science fiction, combining the talents of the acquired Altar Games studio in Brno (UFO trilogy) and Arma. "Fighting aliens, that was the concept," he says. "It was not a direct sequel originally but we wanted to experiment a bit - to crossover between the two genres we had in the company."

That's when Å panel picked the Greek island of Lemnos for the setting, albeit for something called Arma Futura rather than Arma 3. The design apparently changed towards something more RPG but still science-fiction and apocalyptic, rather than fighting aliens in real-time strategy battles on smaller islands. It could be a one-man show on a big chunk of land, the team decided. But as time wound on, it became less and less science-fiction and more and more Arma 3.

I know there was video teaser of a Grey Alien in Arma 3 Pre-Alpha, then the skin was found but no model.

As far as I can find, OpF, ArmA and ArmA 2/CO has had unofficial UFO/Aliens mods so its only a matter of time before BIS should launch an official polished Alien faction for us to play with! After all they did consider this as per the article above!

Being an old school X-Com player/fan hence my enthusiasm for milsim + aliens as third or forth faction would be amazing with Zeus multiplayer game mode! I would gladly pay for this alternate DLC for Arma 3, after the current Heli and Marksman DLC are out.

Before you guys say it, I did email some mod authors about porting Alien over to A3, but as they are usually fairly busy, I rather it be official so everyone can enjoy it and help grow the Arma 3 base as a DLC, and not as another game.

I think we're missing out things already, without thinking of adding new DLC's.

A working 3D editor that can build the mission.sqm. Or more or less an editor that can quickly switch to 3D mode and back to 2D mode for enhanced precision in editing for everyone who makes missions.

To be honest a 3D editor would be a godsend, I'd rather have a built in version that works than going through 3rd Party and downloading addons for this purpose.

Another thing we're totally missing is numerous vehicles and airframes, the amount of variety of vehicles and vehicle weapons is also dead low. We really need more content, but I'm happy to hear that a DLC for Helicopters will come out, I'd rather have some TakeOn Helicopters flying than the current arcady style in Arma 3.

Other than content, I'd say I would be happy to see more 3D interiors in vehicles, and hopefully more complex and detailed Armor system for infantry. Body armor absorbing rounds etc.

Love A3, think they should keep it up

I was reading the Eurogamer article from here but could not comment as per the rules for that thread but this caught my attention:

I know there was video teaser of a Grey Alien in Arma 3 Pre-Alpha, then the skin was found but no model.

As far as I can find, OpF, ArmA and ArmA 2/CO has had unofficial UFO/Aliens mods so its only a matter of time before BIS should launch an official polished Alien faction for us to play with! After all they did consider this as per the article above!

Being an old school X-Com player/fan hence my enthusiasm for milsim + aliens as third or forth faction would be amazing with Zeus multiplayer game mode! I would gladly pay for this alternate DLC for Arma 3, after the current Heli and Marksman DLC are out.

Before you guys say it, I did email some mod authors about porting Alien over to A3, but as they are usually fairly busy, I rather it be official so everyone can enjoy it and help grow the Arma 3 base as a DLC, and not as another game.

Yeeaahhhh, no. Whilst you are entitled to your opinion, i found this out and asked a friend of mine who happens to be a Sci-Fi Fanatic... if Arma 3 had aliens and stuff, would you play it? Surprisingly he would rather remove the game from his library completely, as he said it would kill the Arma series for ever. I kind of agree with him on that aspect, i mean come on. That would be ridiculous and just, i cant even begin to explain. I cant blame BI for canceling the idea, because they saw it too. I think. i hope. BI should however focus on expanding arma 3 as a whole. New Engine features, new maps with the new DLC's that give us a whole new feeling, new weather features, low lying clouds, and content. As the DLC speculation stands, i'd love to see a map with rolling green hills with rivers and cliffs, with a new campaign, or a continuation of the massive cliff hanger at the end of win that probably pissed us all off, no spoilers... But yeah. Definitely more content to make the Armaverse more robust, and visually realistic. Immersive, that key word.

Maybe terrain along the liens of this, but more hills and water systems. (not trying to re create earth over here, but you feel me. XD)

stock-footage-spring-morning-view-into-foggy-valley-below-view-point-in-bohemian-saxony-switzerland-the-fog-is.jpg

A working 3D editor that can build the mission.sqm. Or more or less an editor that can quickly switch to 3D mode and back to 2D mode for enhanced precision in editing for everyone who makes missions.

To be honest a 3D editor would be a godsend, I'd rather have a built in version that works than going through 3rd Party and downloading addons for this purpose.

I would be happy to see more 3D interiors in vehicles

Agree with both.

Agreed.

3D editor, more accurate 2D models (some are insanely wack), higher accuracy in height, the ability to pivot objects and the ability to set two objects at the same height regardless of what´s under them.

(take two piers for example and try to line them up in shallow water. even if you have identical height on both they won´t line up if the ocean floor is uneven. On top of that the accuracy in which you choose the height is not sufficient either)

On top of that the accuracy in which you choose the height is not sufficient either

Height accepts decimals, should be sufficient enough.

They don't need to necessarily add everything through DLCs or expansion packs. They've done it with just plain old patches after all.

Big things like a new terrain or factions however will obviously be from DLCs as it's always been with previous games.

Another thing we're totally missing is numerous vehicles and airframes, the amount of variety of vehicles and vehicle weapons is also dead low. We really need more content, but I'm happy to hear that a DLC for Helicopters will come out

There's still hope that we might be getting more added to the current roster through regular updates; removed and unused pre-alpha vehicles for starters. And I don't mean vehicles tailored for testing like the F-35 or Osprey, but rather things like the Mortar Carrier and Medevac variants of the Marshall and the like.

For example there's stuff like a map icon for a DAP version of the Ghost Hawk in the files, Hummingbirds with FLIR pods and VIP and civilian versions of the Mohawk, so perhaps we'll also be getting some of the "removed" content? I mean, no one expected the M2A4 Slammer to return when it did apart from vague hints from one developer, so perhaps there's also a chance other content will also come back just before the Helicopter DLC rolls out?

Height accepts decimals, should be sufficient enough.

It isn´t unfortunately. 10cm steps is still quite massive when you try do precision-stuff.

If you know a way to line these two up perfectly i´m all ears. Morphing one into the other is out of the question as it will only move the problem from these two, to the next one i´m putting down.

http://i.imgur.com/cTDGTKz.jpg (120 kB)

Edit: and for those wondering, i´m hellbent on making an airport on the water in Kavala.

Edited by RushHour

It isn´t unfortunately. 10cm steps is still quite massive when you try do precision-stuff.

If you know a way to line these two up perfectly i´m all ears. Morphing one into the other is out of the question as it will only move the problem from these two, to the next one i´m putting down.

http://i.imgur.com/cTDGTKz.jpg (120 kB)

Edit: and for those wondering, i´m hellbent on making an airport on the water in Kavala.

It accepts 0.01 too, maybe even millimeters but I've never tried that, of course it's still a pita to do manually.

I would like to see either snowy or jungle environments next. Jungle might be a bit of a rig burner, but maybe a series of jungle islands would be cool. Or a vietnam style environment. WITH BRITS!!!

I'd love to see some lush green temperate lands with nice trees and forests with a great portion of land, with rivers, and lakes. Nice big terrain of course, maybe as big as Altis, except not an island.

It's not about DLC but expansion:

what feature do you think it will contain?

A brand new campaign? More Sp missions/showcases?

Maybe new gameplay features?

What about a new island? If yes, do you think it will be an island copied from a real place? and if yes, which one?

I wonder, after all we don't have any information about it.

Philippines is my bet. Oh and if so, we're probably Marines this time (Even though I prefer Army. ;) ).

I wonder, after all we don't have any information about it.

We have quite a lot of information, actually.

We know that there's going to be a new island and that it'll be completely different from all the previous ones in the series. A new island also means we'll probably get a new faction. A new faction means at least a few more showcases and missions. And you can continue speculating from there.