Sign in to follow this  
drebin052

Next DLC and Expansion Speculation

Which DLC do you like the most?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which DLC do you like the most?

• Helicopter DLC
    • Marksmen DLC

But realistically speaking, they'll probably make another Mediterranean island or simply add new content for their existing islands.

BI have already said that there's gonna be a new terrain totally different from Altis, Chernarus and Takistan. So...

Scanning the Horizon:

Longer term, for example, we'll build a new terrain. Our objective is to produce something truly distinctive: an entirely different feeling to that of Altis, Takistan or Chernarus.

I'm sorry, what new winter technology?

I assume he means the VBS3 videos showing new snow/winter simulation.

I assume he means the VBS3 videos showing new snow/winter simulation.

Yeah...except BIS don't have that technology.

Yeah...except BIS don't have that technology.

What? If BIS are the studios that created VBS... So of course they have it.

BTW BIS was created by BI, and so they share a lot of resources; both HQ are now located in Prague, and even BIS use BI to recruit their employers. You just need to check this forums... You could say that are closely interconnected.

What? If BIS are the studios that created VBS... So of course they have it.

BTW BIS was created by BI, and so they share a lot of resources; both HQ are now located in Prague, and even BIS use BI to recruit their employers. You just need to check this forums... You could say that are closely interconnected.

BIS is short for Bohemia Interactive Studios, and Bohemia Interactive Simulations is usually abbreviated as BISim.

BIS is short for Bohemia Interactive Studios, and Bohemia Interactive Simulations is usually abbreviated as BISim.

It's a bit off-topic but well in this forums, specially in official announcements BI stands for Bohemia Interactive and BIS for Bohemia Interactive Simulations.

You can even check the official websites were the company calls itself just Bohemia Interactive.

In fact if you check the register, the company is officially registered as: BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE a.s.

Please guys, there is already a thread for VBS. Don't turn this into an other VBS vs Arma.

It's a bit off-topic but well in this forums, specially in official announcements BI stands for Bohemia Interactive and BIS for Bohemia Interactive Simulations.

You can even check the official websites were the company calls itself just Bohemia Interactive.

In fact if you check the register, the company is officially registered as: BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE a.s.

Oh...

Everybody refers to Bohemia Interactive as BIS and here on the forums, especially in the VBS thread, everyone refers to Bohemia Interactive Simulations as BISim.

But this is offtopic, so I'll stop.

Everybody refers to Bohemia Interactive as BIS and here on the forums, especially in the VBS thread, everyone refers to Bohemia Interactive Simulations as BISim.

Aham: BIForum, BIKI, web-pages Community Issue Tracker (bug tracker), BIForum downtime 16.4.2014, How to create a BI Wiki (BIKI) account?

If you check developers profile, or photo tag it says: BI Developer, for example Dwarden's profile or Maruk's Profile ( who by the way is BI, CEO ).

For more check the: BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE GENERAL

Please guys, there is already a thread for VBS. Don't turn this into an other VBS vs Arma.

I agree, I don't understand why VBS was mentioned.

- - - - - - - -

Going back to topic, I believe an Africa terrain could be awesome.

...stuff...

But...but...but BIS sounds cooler than BI...

Going back to topic, I believe an Africa terrain could be awesome.

What is there in Africa except deserts (already done, see: Takistan) and jungles (performance hungry)? Of course there are a few Mediterranean-ish places on the far north and south, but they're just a slightly drier version of Altis.

What did you have in mind?

What is there in Africa except deserts (already done, see: Takistan) and jungles (performance hungry)? Of course there are a few Mediterranean-ish places on the far north and south, but they're just a slightly drier version of Altis.

What did you have in mind?

Well, in Africa there are a few climates and landscapes than Mediterranean and Asiatic arid mountains:

https://www.courses.psu.edu/test/test100_hkr/AFIM/Jpegs/M_CL.jpg (103 kB)

For instance:

Kenya

Kenya+6.jpg

Madagascar

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Landscape_Madagascar_06.jpg (1053 kB)

Zimbawe

http://www.fredhoogervorst.com/oni.app/local/upload/20213.jpg (523 kB)

Cameroon

djinglia-cameroun.jpg

It's a whole continent!

But...but...but BIS sounds cooler than BI...

I agree :p But somewhere around 5-6 years ago (I think) we were asked to start using BI instead of BIS. I assume this was indeed something to do with BISim. However, I don't recall whether it was Maruk, Dwarden, Placebo or even Suma who posted something about that at the time. You gonna have to dig deep into the archive for that :)

Hey, I'm not a Arma 3 player (only played Arma 1 & 2 Free :p ) but I like your ideas TC. The South Asian Pacific is a lovely setting and a possible conflict zone too. But I think it's more Arma 4 material because those are some huge islands to squeeze into a game (if people already complain on Arma 3 performance, how would they react to so huge islands? :p ) and a lot of work to model properly. Here's my ideas:

This is where you are wrong. Altis is how big? 247 square miles or something like that? Ok, that's roughly 15X15. Ok. Get this, DBO_Afghanistan map, a mod made map, is 81X81. Ill tell you right now, i've played on it, no lag what so ever. If you edited the map some but organizing objects, you can easily get a map 6581 Square miles... That's big enough for one hell of an Asian terrain for any DLC, or any fictional terrain, not necessarily having to be an island. Personally, i would love to see BIS push their limits to the max on map size. While DBO's map is mostly just terrain, the ground is easily covered with plenty of grass, and detail in the right places. Here is what he said.

Quote: "I dont promise quality i`m afraid only an 81km * 81KM with Clutter and Tres and Buildings spread around liberally to almost 4 million items , there are areas good for air and now good for untis and tanks."

So why not make a map that big, but more organized. Everyone's mind would be immediately blown.

This is where you are wrong. Altis is how big? 247 square miles or something like that? Ok, that's roughly 15X15. Ok. Get this, DBO_Afghanistan map, a mod made map, is 81X81. Ill tell you right now, i've played on it, no lag what so ever. If you edited the map some but organizing objects, you can easily get a map 6581 Square miles... That's big enough for one hell of an Asian terrain for any DLC, or any fictional terrain, not necessarily having to be an island. Personally, i would love to see BIS push their limits to the max on map size. While DBO's map is mostly just terrain, the ground is easily covered with plenty of grass, and detail in the right places. Here is what he said.

Quote: "I dont promise quality i`m afraid only an 81km * 81KM with Clutter and Tres and Buildings spread around liberally to almost 4 million items , there are areas good for air and now good for untis and tanks."

So why not make a map that big, but more organized. Everyone's mind would be immediately blown.

You understand that a map that big is only possible because it has no objects at all, don't you?

You understand that a map that big is only possible because it has no objects at all, don't you?

Did you not read the quote at all? He said 4 million items. How ever, i don't believe it's that much, than again idk. Download the map. You will find plenty of rock formations and ranges. There are towns on it as well, and forests. The point is, if the modder organized them, it would be one hell of a map. By organize, i mean move around the existing scattered items like buildings and forests, and rock formations to fit the map.

Also, your assuming this because you never tried the map yourself. Give it a go. I'm sure, more sure than anything that a great terrain possibility exists and is not far from being created.

Did you not read the quote at all? He said 4 million items. How ever, i don't believe it's that much, than again idk. Download the map. You will find plenty of rock formations and ranges. There are towns on it as well, and forests. The point is, if the modder organized them, it would be one hell of a map. By organize, i mean move around the existing scattered items like buildings and forests, and rock formations to fit the map.

Also, your assuming this because you never tried the map yourself. Give it a go. I'm sure, more sure than anything that a great terrain possibility exists and is not far from being created.

I wonder how many objects there are on Altis...

And I tried the map once, but it was an older version which was completely empty. I'm not downloading 2 GB of files again.

Ahaha, took me less than 5 minutes to download. Up to you though. However, back on topic, it shows that if BI were to take up the challenge, they could pull of an extremely large terrain, with impressive quality, pertaining to a feature DLC. The biggest map they ever made was i believe Seattle for Take On Helicopters, but technology has gotten better since than.

We don't need larger maps, Altis is big enough (even too big). What we need is a better netcode and optimization that can take more players so we can use the size of the map.

we don't need larger maps, altis is big enough (even too big). What we need is a better netcode and optimization that can take more players so we can use the size of the map.

^ qft

We don't need larger maps, Altis is big enough (even too big). What we need is a better netcode and optimization that can take more players so we can use the size of the map.

To me a map the same size as Altis, but without all the destruction and with another setting, would be more than outstanding.

I can't stand all actual destroyed buildings, cars, etc. that on the other hand overload the computer.

Edited by MistyRonin

DLC Suggestion:

Headless client DLC so one must not buy another copy of the game.

To me a map the same size as Altis, but without all the destruction and with another setting, would be more than outstanding.

I can't stand all actual destroyed buildings, cars, etc. that on the other hand overload the computer.

I could not agree more. The civilian background live compared to OA is missing sharply. Surfers in a War zone…??, give me a break!

About the initial Post…..,

Some nice work was going into this scenario…respect, but you will have to close out New Zealand and most probably Australia as well, as by 2035 most of mineral mines will be in hand of Chinese based company’s (legally) and the economically interests and benefits Australia gains from its growing ties to china will prevent any direct involvement.

For the rest, by 2035, just 20 year from now, direct military conflicts will be fought out by UAV’s of various kinds exclusively, foot soldiers will come to task for occupying after battle and upholding order in occupied areas.

Anyways, the drawn scenarios are somewhat more realistic than A3’s Iranians on a Greece island…, just thinking about it makes falling out of the chair. Whereas A2OA I cannot praise highly enough for its utter realistic settings in mapping and content.

Considering the way they have to take; via Irak or Turkey. Bypassing if not overrun Israel ( Rofl here). Possible RL conflict zones with a possible military engagement in 2035 could be Pakistan- India. Certainly resource conflicts in Africa. In 2025 the US will be independent from foreign energy sources which puts SA under pressure looking out for new “friendsâ€, China?

It will be highly doubtful the big players USA-China-Russia-EU ever will get in an all-out war ever. Proxy wars as usual happened in the cold era are out of fashion as the lines are not be draw between “friend and foe†so easily anymore by economical interest.

As said, battles, large or small will be dealt with by UAV’s; asymmetric warfare already is taking over conventional large scale battles (mind the logistic) indicating more covert military operations without a UN backed declaration of war to the target nation.

Pull out A2, the Ukraine conflict is the map of actuality. AO for Syria, NATO where close by enough to engage, yes I include the USF as part of NATO here.

Which brings to mind the ArmA series is predominately suited for to set up reenactments in a VR diorama. James Bond – “You only live twice†would be a worthwhile mission on a Japanese Island.

Just my 2 cents!

Arma has a object limit. In Arma 2, the object limit was 5 million objects. anything above would result the crash of visitors/buldozer.

IDK if its still 5 million objects or if BI increased it for ArmA 3 but still, if the object limit would be 5 or 6 million, then huge maps would be mostly empty.

ArmA 3 Altis is 270 km2 (with the water i think 900 km2) and Altis uses already about 1 million objects and we see how empty altis is on some places.

take on helicopter seattle isnt very much detailed for ground gameplay and it is 60x60km and it has ober 2 million objects and remember: mostly trees and buildings.

so no streetlights, roads, dirt, trash etc and with a limit of 5 million objects, it would not be possible to create a detailed city map in the size of seattle.

creating huge cities, decent jungle or huge terrain like 80x80, 120x120 etc is not really possible, unless you want them empty and not much detailed.

Arma has a object limit. In Arma 2, the object limit was 5 million objects. anything above would result the crash of visitors/buldozer.

IDK if its still 5 million objects or if BI increased it for ArmA 3 but still, if the object limit would be 5 or 6 million, then huge maps would be mostly empty.

ArmA 3 Altis is 270 km2 (with the water i think 900 km2) and Altis uses already about 1 million objects and we see how empty altis is on some places.

take on helicopter seattle isnt very much detailed for ground gameplay and it is 60x60km and it has ober 2 million objects and remember: mostly trees and buildings.

so no streetlights, roads, dirt, trash etc and with a limit of 5 million objects, it would not be possible to create a detailed city map in the size of seattle.

creating huge cities, decent jungle or huge terrain like 80x80, 120x120 etc is not really possible, unless you want them empty and not much detailed.

Unless you go for the best of both worlds. For example, and note still following the campaign guidelines, an Asian terrain would provide for a good large, but detailed environment. So Lets say we go around 60x60. Or maybe slightly bigger or smaller. But you put in LOTS of rivers, and lots of terrain features. This way, you can put in towns a realistic distance from each other, and you can create roads that are the right size. More room for highways and interesting new terrain possibilities, such as actual bridges that can be somewhat disabled, even bringing in a way to harm logistical support for Infantry in a whole new way in Arma 3. And with the bigger map, that 5 million objects do not have to be in one place, meaning that lag would be little to none because their spread out, but still organized in a way it stays optimized, but stays great looking and functioning on that terrain. It's all about how you implement it, and that is when you can start seeing it to work better. Now I understand, the map doesn't have to be bigger, but I think it would be great to have more land for a story line. And maybe eventually will it with something other than Chicken Wire fences. Hehe. ;)