Sign in to follow this  
Tomsz

[SP] Operation Eagle Eyes Day 1

Operation Eagle Eye's Day 1

http://i.imgur.com/UEsoi5W.jpg (103 kB)

7ngjkhV.jpgKw3qZdF.jpg

Introduction:

You are a highly trained U.S Sniper Lt. Jasper is the name and newly promoted Cpl. Hector has been assigned to be your spotter today your mission is to go deep behind enemy lines to Assassinate two high ranked Taliban leader's by the name of Hakim and Ghani and also to destroy a stolen HMV located close by in a remote village all while avoiding enemy patrols throughout the woods and surrounding mountains.

you can you view their descriptions in the first two image's as they are wearing different clothes to the regular insurgents to keep in mind during the mission to help recognize your targets & these men are wanted for murder and leading a criminal organization which is the Taliban, you will leave Altis Airbaise approximately 12:10 am after the commander has briefed you on your assignment & while gearing up make sure to grab a green smoke grenade used for extraction, you are then to order your spotter into the nearby ghost hawk and get ready for insertion, stay low and do not compromise the mission.

Features:

- No requirements to play just download the Mission.

- Patrolling Taliban Units & Each playthrough has them in random positions so it will always feel different.

- Briefing

- Insertion & Extraction.

- Enemy are all dressed in Taliban like clothing and vehicles.

- Night Ops Mission , it can go into daytime if you take your time it depends how you like to play there is no time limit.

- The Enemy do not have any NVG as they are Taliban insurgents but are using flashlights.

- Virtual Ammobox System (VAS)

Download

Armaholic

Steam Workshop

Installation

Extract the .pbo file(s) to your Steam/SteamApps/common/ArmA 3/Missions folder for Singleplayer.

Credits and special thanks:

-Tonic - VAS (Virtual Ammobox System)

Edited by Tomsz

Downloading now.

Looks like you are using Takistan map and some other mod for the bad guys.

You sure we don't need addons to play this or did you integrate other mods into the mission?

If so, you may need to give credit to those addon makers...........

Downloading now.

Looks like you are using Takistan map and some other mod for the bad guys.

You sure we don't need addons to play this or did you integrate other mods into the mission?

If so, you may need to give credit to those addon makers...........

Hello I am using Altis and also no mods are in the mission or integrated into the mission, it is all unique apart from VAS (Virtual Ammobox System)

hope you enjoy the mission & let me know what you think I will also be looking to make Day 2 in the next month so if you have any suggestions or ideas I will consider using them for Day 2 which will be the next part of the story.

Not finished but a few things to mention.

Nice eyecandy at the base. Seems you put some time into making it look like an airport.

Patrols seem to be enough and surprising.

1. You have a camp fire at the base on opening scene. Highly unlikely they would be BBQ hot dog wieners with an open fire on base property like that.

I suggest just using regular lighting.

2. Your player and side kick are NOT using NVG nor FLIR scopes. Player has NVG and NVG goggles but not for the scope.

3. You don't want to use Silencers? Deep in enemy territory may require silencers.

(It's possible I may have missed a few cache boxes at base. I just went straight for the helo for insertion.

4. You've got a downed chopper in the AO. I suggest making it a "sudden" side-mission. Have player radio HQ to report it and get orders to retrieve Black Box or blow it up or something.

OK, as I said, not finished.

Not finished but a few things to mention.

Nice eyecandy at the base. Seems you put some time into making it look like an airport.

Patrols seem to be enough and surprising.

1. You have a camp fire at the base on opening scene. Highly unlikely they would be BBQ hot dog wieners with an open fire on base property like that.

I suggest just using regular lighting.

2. Your player and side kick are NOT using NVG nor FLIR scopes. Player has NVG and NVG goggles but not for the scope.

3. You don't want to use Silencers? Deep in enemy territory may require silencers.

(It's possible I may have missed a few cache boxes at base. I just went straight for the helo for insertion.

4. You've got a downed chopper in the AO. I suggest making it a "sudden" side-mission. Have player radio HQ to report it and get orders to retrieve Black Box or blow it up or something.

OK, as I said, not finished.

You really don't know what your doing do you? there is a Virtual Ammobox System to customize your loadout before taking off, and the downed chopper is not blufor's..it is an opfor hellcat you can use a silencer just customize your loadout as your suppose to do and yes the spotter is wearing NVG's.. and so are you to begin with and it's up to you to get the right scopes for the mission from the ammobox and if you listened I told you to gear up from it before taking off.

Edited by Tomsz

Comments from Steam:

Heron 17 hours ago

One of the best missions i've played or attempted atleast. Quality

peech 5 Apr @ 5:33am

great mission nice playtime no bugs !

ot5u9v 5 Apr @ 2:25am

Impressive and intense mission!... The AO crawls with hostiles, as it should be! No bugs encountered... I highly recommend it!

Excellent mission ;), please keep the sniper missions coming, i love "Ghost Recon" style SP missions.:cool:

Excellent mission ;), please keep the sniper missions coming, i love "Ghost Recon" style SP missions.:cool:

Sure will this is only Day 1, I am looking to make Day 2 and also if you guys have any ideas feel free to post as I would look at including them into Day 2's mission.

Sure will this is only Day 1, I am looking to make Day 2

Cool, thanks a lot.

Sure will this is only Day 1, I am looking to make Day 2 and also if you guys have any ideas feel free to post as I would look at including them into Day 2's mission.

I suggest not using Virtual Ammo Box.

Reason why, I think it more challenging to LOCK a player into using weapons and amount of ammo for the mission.

I know it's extra work to set-up your player with a load-out, but it's not that long to do it.

Just my opinion.

Cheers!

yes, I'd second that. You don't even have to set up the player with a load out, just putting enough different weapon, ammo and equipment boxes at the air base will do fine.

However, one thing is important, you have to write somewhere that a green smoke is mission critical to have. I didn't bring one along because I usually get rid of all useless stuff at first, and of course I later couldn't get the chopper to fetch me.

Another issue is the low fps. It's definitely lower than in various other missions that have more action going on. Something is too much here. Maybe you can delete a few units at the airfield or elsewhere that are not needed (everything at the airfield is only eyecandy after all), or you only spawn patrols in a certain radius around the player (maybe 500 m) instead of all at once. The virtual ammo box is also quite sluggish, so maybe that is also a factor causing lower fps (not sure, just an idea).

Regarding your post #5 in this thread (which sounded quite a bit unfriendly, but maybe that's a misunderstanding), I must tell you that there are no silencers available via the virtual ammo box. It is not possible to get one. Which is not really a problem because you still have the silenced pistol you spawn with and you can get 30 round mags for it and also it is very easy to avoid enemy contact. Another more serious problem though is the MRAP that needs to be blown up. There are no explosives to get, except the anti-personell stuff you spawn with, but I assume they are too weak to blow it up. Of course you can bring the clumsy PCL along, but considered the long walk and the low profile style of the mission, most players will opt for a lighter loadout.

The rifle optics is completely ok since the target area is lit well enough, and you don't have to use the rifle elsewhere.

What I like is the fact that you can "park" your AI teammate at the start and not use it at all. I know that it would be more realistic since in real life snipers go in 2-man teams to cover each other and for psychological reasons (they control each other so it is harder for the shooter to feign a miss or otherwise avoid the killing of a target, because it takes a lot more to shoot someone in the back who is just standing around unsuspecting than someone who is attacking you). But the AI is useless, it is easier to stay undetected if I don't have to babysit an AI all the time.

At last, I'm wondering why you call the opponents here "Taliban". They don't look like Taliban, the island doesn't fit etc. It's quite far fetched, I think there are way enough other groups of dangerous idiots around that you can use, or why don't you just make one up, something like "PMFST - People's Movement for the Formation of Sniper Targets" ;)

@Brianbug

You didn't mention the camp fire at the base. Why would there be a camp fire at the base.

And because of post #5, I gave up on the mission.

@Tomz

I suggest reading Brainbugs suggestions. He is quite good at giving information about missions.

I hope one day he makes one as well. :D

yeah I get it Kommiekat, I'm just criticising others' work and can't even make one myself. But I really better leave mission-making to people who actually know what they are doing. I'm just stating what I think about the mission, if it helps the mission maker with some info, fine, if not, then he is free to disregard it. I'm better at just playing the missions ;)

You didn't mention the camp fire at the base. Why would there be a camp fire at the base.
maybe slightly unrealistic (maybe the officers are going to have a BBQ and a few beers while you are out there, who knows?^^), but a good source of light. I don't know, are there actually any lamps in the editor that could possibly replace the campfire? Anyway, there has to be some light, otherwise the player could be lost in utter darkness in case he takes off the NVGs for some reason (something he messed up in the virtual ammo box etc.). Or maybe you want to see how your gear looks without NVGs. In any mission that has an equipment area in the safe zone I'm always glad to see it lit properly.

yeah I get it Kommiekat, I'm just criticising others' work and can't even make one myself. But I really better leave mission-making to people who actually know what they are doing. I'm just stating what I think about the mission, if it helps the mission maker with some info, fine, if not, then he is free to disregard it. I'm better at just playing the missions ;)

Well, if you wanted to, you could send me a video of you and your girlfriend "Doing the Nasty" and then I could give criticism for you?

I could even give you some pointers if you like!

:slayer3:<------that's me at your window watching you two going at it.

hmm, I think we have reached a point where I don't really understand your jokes anymore. I don't know what problem you have with me or why you mock me, but if you don't like what I write, just don't read it and maybe report the post and let the mods decide whether to ban me for being annoying or whatever reason that I don't get... 3rn53k83.gif

hmm, I think we have reached a point where I don't really understand your jokes anymore.

Relax guy, I'm just teasing you. I respect your comments. Perhaps I made myself misunderstood. I have a habit of doing that.:icon_hug:

You really don't know what your doing do you? there is a Virtual Ammobox System to customize your loadout before taking off, and the downed chopper is not blufor's..it is an opfor hellcat you can use a silencer just customize your loadout as your suppose to do and yes the spotter is wearing NVG's.. and so are you to begin with and it's up to you to get the right scopes for the mission from the ammobox and if you listened I told you to gear up from it before taking off.

Some people join and just want to play. You need to think of a whole audience instead of saying "Use the VAS Box!" as some people aren't interested in spending extra time in base when they want combat.

Some people join and just want to play. You need to think of a whole audience instead of saying "Use the VAS Box!" as some people aren't interested in spending extra time in base when they want combat.

Yes, what he said. The players load out should be ready and locked in.

I seriously doubt people serving the military have a choice on what weapons to use.

Using VAS is only appeasing the pimply faced 13 year olds who load up on sniper rifles AND AT weapons strapped to their backs.

Ridiculous.

You also have the downed chopper that could be used a a side mission as I mentioned before, regardless if its Opfor for Blufor.

I tried this one yesterday, and it is a very good mission, but it shows its age and should be brought up to modern standards.

At the start of the mission I noticed that I cannot use NVG's with that sniper rifle, so I tried to comb through the VAS to find something more fitting. This became a real chore as I have tons of mods loaded, and I ended up with a MK18 (7.62 mm cal.) rifle with a Ghosthawk night sight that did not fit that rifle as I discovered. Also, having not read the briefing carefully I got rid of my smoke grenades....

After helo dropoff, ingress to the target was really great because of all those low-tech-flashlight wielding enemies. Since the classnames changed, they were all in their underwear. *lol*

This proved to be a problem in identifying my targets, but thankfully the briefing mentioned that they are wearing berets as well, so I had a chance to finish my main objective.

The second objective was a well guarded vehicle, which was also possible to deal with, if one applied stealth.

Upon calling the helo I discovered I could not finish the mission because I was lacking green smoke!

Suggestions for improvement:

- Crate with custom content, some sensibly chosen equipment added via script, instead VAS.

-Updated classnames for the uniforms for both Taliban and officers

-Radio-controlled means of calling the helo, without the use of smoke.