Sign in to follow this  
Von Quest

[WIP] Von Quest Industries - Sniper System

Yes. The EXAMPLE MISSION, has the Wind set to 0 to Start. So you have a solid baseline. No Wind. There are 3 Radio Triggers to Randomize Target #5, Set Wind to Random, and Set Wind to OFF.

This is an amazing mod. It's truly awesome. I have had some issues with it i do not know if this is just the combination of AGM or what not. The sniper ghillie i think takes far to long to activate especially when you maneuver your rifle it has a tendency to reset on me or not initialize at all. And even deploying a bipod with AGM seems to have an effect. Tells me environment disturbed. So that's possibly a problem for deploying a bipod but that I think goes with the disabling your zero sway option when prone.

I have had everything work well but when actually out in the field against real AI it becomes extremely hard to get your mod to start functioning. Especially behind enemy lines (with ALiVE) where you do not know if you have time to sit still to have it initialize. I know there is really no ability to actually stalk in your mod since moving even the slightest bit resets everything. I don't know if this is something you would be interested in doing allowing true stalking ability but that would require a rework of your entire system. Instead of timer based system you would have to use an action menu to go through the process of preparing your ghillie with vegetation maybe giving you a 50-80% bonus in stealth. (3-5 minutes.) While prone or crouched walking. (IRL just properly vegetating your ghillie can grant you up to a 99% stealth reduction even from thermal imaging. People have been known to walk within a meter of a sniper and not see them when they are stalking properly in the open.) But 80% reduction in signature of a properly prepared sniper is not OP I would think in terms of Arma. Then after you have properly vegetated you could stalk into your FFP and setup a hide. This could still be time based or you could also put it on an action menu preparing the various stages of the hide construction. You could even just have that setup for different time levels for different levels of stealth. Since snipers setup hides in a variety of locations inside buildings, hilltops, ditches, etc.

Hasty Hide - Fast quick hide setup in 2-3 mins. Up to 50% stealth.

Moderate Hide - setup 5-7 mins. 50-90% stealth.

Snipers hide - setup 7-15 mins. 90-99% stealth. + some protection from small arms fire.(I do not know how feasable this is.)

You could even give these abilities to snipers who aren't wearing ghillies since the primary function of the ghillie is stalking.

Just some ideas. It works great for missions where you have to go in an take your time to setup and kill whatever moves through your field of vision. But for some reason I have issues getting things to work with AGM bipod deployment and for me having it reset for whatever reason. I know the goal is patience but having it reset for whatever reason is a little frustrating from time to time. This could just be a limitation of the game engine. But I hope that at some point you could work on stalking a bit. As that is something that is seriously missing from the entire sniper game play. Being able to stalk really well is something that makes a sniper a sniper and not a marksman. Just a few ideas.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

I totally understand what you are saying (and others as well). I'm still exploring ideas and options. Right now, this project is sorta on hold. I just released a Diver mod experiment. And soon this will be absorbed into my Modular Project that will combine all mods so far, and then continue to expand.

I like the idea of time to setup vs stealth level. I may have to get into more config-level stuff to workout some issues. This "engine" I made is still unstable in MP I'm finding with a runaway loop once in a rare while. Right now, for the stealth level, I'm just using a percent-per-loop time. There is no actual % hidden per-se. Its more of check for X every minute, than roll a random number. If that number is under 95%, than make player hidden to AI.

The better you play as a scout/sniper, it jumps to a new loop and increases that % to a higher number. One thing you have to always keep in mind is, this is designed so you can not be invincible nor invisible to the enemy AI 100%.

Its very hard to see whats going on, as there is little cause-n-effect to directly observe that's obvious. Its hard to find a balance so the player does not become an unrealistic super hero. I'm open to ideas and code if anyone has any.

As far as AGM goes, I still haven't had the time to test and play with it. Its on my list though. I'll be looking into this soon. After this is upgraded into a Module, I'll be adding more user-options, so you can select your own styles, times, stealth, etc. Stay Tuned... :p

@couto

Sorry, there was a flub on my end and I forgot to include the settings.hpp file. That's what I fixed and re-uploaded in v0.3.1. You NEED this file in your root A3 folder INSIDE a Folder named 'userconfig'. You can open up the file and turn ON/OFF a few things.

@MannyRecon

Make sure you're carrying the "Questrel: SniperBuddy" in your Uniform, or Vest. You can't build your Blind without it. 1 Minute Max? Yikes! I think I'll add more options to the Settings File to allow the player to set whatever value they want. Not sure yet. In extensive testing, the system get super unstable if you mess with the timing though. Its running like an engine in the background. I also recommend you Turn ON the DeBug Hints in the Settings File, so you can see how it's "thinking". It might help clear up a few things. I'll see what I can do....

Thanks guys!

Play with six still does not include userconfig file.

The Download is on the First Post. I have no control over playwithSix.

Will be upgrading in the next day or two. Eliminating the userconfig stuff.

NOTICE:

This has been upgraded and absorbed into the full project: SpookWarCom.

This Thread will be Closed soon. Check the NEW page for more details.

Delete any Old/Test Mods, and upgrade to this new Spec-Ops System!

Thank You!

hi i take your advice Goblin i used your mod with AB mod and it is great thx i disable your ballistic

and your qestral gives better reading in wind than kestral 4500 mod i dont know why?

ex. 26 degree with 7 kts wind is 3.6 ms but kestral 4500 say it is 2.2 ms.

with your permission i will edit the code to devide knots/3.6 instead of 1.852 to have it read in ms

thx

Edited by macfifa

What is the Adjust key??? I tried using ctrl with the compass key but the sniper buddy just doesnt pop up, someone please help me, im going crazy!

Do NOT use this "Stand-Alone" version. Read Post above.

This is a package system now. Update coming very soon.

Hi, I'm getting some issue with this.

I install the mod as I've done with all my others that work fine but when starting the game it pops up with;

include file userconfig\VQI_Settings|VQI_Settings_Sniper.hpp not found.

The file is definitely there! Then the launcher crashes and I must uninstall for Arma to work.

..?

Hi, I'm getting some issue with this.

I install the mod as I've done with all my others that work fine but when starting the game it pops up with;

include file userconfig\VQI_Settings|VQI_Settings_Sniper.hpp not found.

The file is definitely there! Then the launcher crashes and I must uninstall for Arma to work.

..?

This mod is extremely outdated.... look at the last release date.

But as evident by the last few post it is now part of the SpookWarCom mod. At least that is the last information in this thread.

Always read the last few posts of a thread before asking questions.