RushHour

Arma 3 Kart DLC

Thanks Jona33. So as long as you don't use the DLC content itself, it isn't that intrusive, is it ?

While is not my business what developers do with free time, this DLC is part of the ARMA 3 title, it is official content. Does not seems relevant to me the fact of having been made in free time or in work time. I have been forced to download it and I was having a padlock in my screen on it.

The fact is that belong to ARMA 3 and myself as client I was forced to download it, how and where it was made is irrelevant for this matter.

Also, while I do agree, appreciate and respect all the charity actions, I have my priorities in these matters which probably are not the same of Bohemia Interactive.

Oh that's horrible! You were forced to download 100MB DLC you don't even have to use! You have also been forced to download 5800MB worth of updates this year alone.

Thanks Jona33. So as long as you don't use the DLC content itself, it isn't that intrusive, is it ?

Also if you just put the kart on the map and dont use it nothing will happen, however you cant enter it.

Ive only realized you can go faster holding down shift :rolleyes: probably its been like that since ofp without me realizing

I been racing these things all weekend, thats just against AI, gonna see whats happening on the servers... hands down the best $2 ive ever spent.

yep, 80+ but be careful on those turns.

Can someone pls tell me the new path for the overviewPicture of the kart dlc so i can use them for my multiplayermissions?

Myself, as a ARMA fan, (having all versions of it) I see some lack of context in this DLC.

Myself, as a client, I see some lack of arguments with "it was made at free time" and "it is for charity" argumentation.

While is not my business what developers do with free time, this DLC is part of the ARMA 3 title, it is official content. Does not seems relevant to me the fact of having been made in free time or in work time. I have been forced to download it and I was having a padlock in my screen on it.

The fact is that belong to ARMA 3 and myself as client I was forced to download it, how and where it was made is irrelevant for this matter.

Also, while I do agree, appreciate and respect all the charity actions, I have my priorities in these matters which probably are not the same of Bohemia Interactive.

In short, being a side content of ARMA 3, being made by developers in free time to help with charity actions, this DLC should had been available as optional download, pointing the purposes of it. I quite sure that the same people would buy it anyway and everyone would feel that their rights were being treated with respect.

I always had and I have high consideration and respect for Bohemia Interactive and its titles, I want the keep it that way, I really hope not to see something similar in the future.

It does add new features relevant to the rest of the game, like animating brake / accelerator pedals & vehicles sliding on slippery slopes (Try out the oil slick object).

If you don't use it, you get a tiny, very subtly picture on the main menu. When you do use it you get a picture on the right hand side of your screen, when you use it for a few minutes you get a semi transparent overlay of racing car helmets and if you continue to use it you get a little message which pops up and then disappears again. In addition if you end a mission with debriefing (by calling the endMission function rather than just clicking save and exit in the editor) you get a screen saying you have used Karts and that stays up for ten seconds before you can move on.

That's the whole point. Intrusive.

From my concern it can be a download having racing karts with 100 Mb size or a download having racing goats with 10 Gb size, couldn't care less about the subject.

As long doesn't interfere with my gameplay experience when I have no interest in having the specific content, I am ok with it.

Also I perfectly understand that from a pure commercial point of view, this intrusive method for DLC distribution it may be seen as something valid, still I have a strong hope that Bohemia Interactive will not turn in to this road.

That's the whole point. Intrusive.

From my concern it can be a download having racing karts with 100 Mb size or a download having racing goats with 10 Gb size, couldn't care less about the subject.

As long doesn't interfere with my gameplay experience when I have no interest in having the specific content, I am ok with it.

Also I perfectly understand that from a pure commercial point of view, this intrusive method for DLC distribution it may be seen as something valid, still I have a strong hope that Bohemia Interactive will not turn in to this road.

The whole point that Jona33 was making is that it WASN'T intrusive. I fail to see how it does interfere with your gameplay, unless you're using those karts.

I have no intention to start a brave and courageous internet fight about this or any other subject nor I intend to educate people about words meaning.

The reason(s) why I came here was to point (at BIS) my disappointment about this DLC and also my dissatisfaction about the new DLC delivery method emphasising how negatively affect my gameplay experience.

Having done that, I have no more business here.

Nice day to all.

I have no intention to start a brave and courageous internet fight about this or any other subject nor I intend to educate people about words meaning.

The reason(s) why I came here was to point (at BIS) my disappointment about this DLC and also my dissatisfaction about the new DLC delivery method emphasising how negatively affect my gameplay experience.

Having done that, I have no more business here.

Nice day to all.

Very informative, if you can't explain WHY it does affect your gameplay.

Very informative, if you can't explain WHY it does affect your gameplay.

Joke? Karts keep spawning as civi vehicles and screw up any mission you create?

I'd be very happy to find a way to remove this **** from the dedi as well. Right now you can't use any civil spawning system and that means arma is more or less useless until this bug (called karts) is fixed.

Joke? Karts keep spawning as civi vehicles and screw up any mission you create?

I'd be very happy to find a way to remove this **** from the dedi as well. Right now you can't use any civil spawning system and that means arma is more or less useless until this bug (called karts) is fixed.

Well i don't really get it : i suppose you can create an ignore list in any spawning system, nope ?

Well i don't really get it : i suppose you can create an ignore list in any spawning system, nope ?

That would be great. Can you pls do that for about a dozen addons that are out there right now? Alive, COS,... and btw: Please update it every time BIS gets a funny idea and forces more unwanted content on us. Can you pls do that? Thx.

That would be great. Can you pls do that for about a dozen addons that are out there right now? Alive, COS,... and btw: Please update it every time BIS gets a funny idea and forces more unwanted content on us. Can you pls do that? Thx.

Drop the sarcasm if you want people to take you seriously. We're here for civil discussions.

Karts may be "unwanted content" for you, but BIS did it in response to a community demand.

Further, I've seen nothing but demand for more content, or rather, complaints about how little content there is in Arma 3. So when BIS gives us what we want, let's not complain that our scripts, which through dangerous programming practices grab any old asset that might exist in a classification, have problems when this occurs. Not everything that breaks those scripts is going to be useless or silly content.

And to speak in logical terms, your script is still working as intended. It was designed to spawn civilian vehicles. You can't tell me a go-kart isn't a civilian vehicle. Who ever made the guarantee that the vehicle pool the script uses was only ever going to have content that you find acceptable? If you want to spawn vehicles that you find acceptable, you're going to have to tell the script which vehicles that includes.

Further, I've seen nothing but demand for more content, or rather, complaints about how little content there is in Arma 3.

Funny that we discuss in two threats but we actually discuss different topics so I reply to this one. I'm not demanding anything from BIS because the past clearly showed and BIS can't handle the demand for Milsim content. Releasing ArmA3 without any Milsim content clearly showed that in case somebody missed that in the previous versions. (Some) User content always had far higher quality. Anyway... They never gave us what we wished for. The "forced" content on everybody. It was like forcing everybody to play only DayZ from now on and deactivating anything else. The difference is "choice".

Arma is played by a lot of different people. And there are quite a few out there that play Milsim and even though these communities are mostly not public and don't show up as much as others (for well know reasons), they are still there. Some even since OFP. But I still don't think a DayZ player would like it to be forced to always start in full equipment and a AltisLife player would prefer not to be forced back into a military uniform but there are also people that don't like to be forced to stare at "Karts" suddenly showing on the map and being able to deactivate them. As long as they can't differ between fun- and Milsim-content (and I doubt they can simply code that into Arma in a few mins), I prefer them not to force anything on me.

You'll have to take that up with BIS, then. I tried to explain the concept of safely dealing with unpredictable data to you, but if you don't want to listen and insist BIS is to blame, I can't help you.

Your point about content being "forced" on people is simply ludicrous. When BIS added helicopters to the alpha, did people complain that it was forced on them? If BIS adds more vehicles for free, non-DLC, is that "forced" on people? You're only using this word "forced" because you don't happen to want it in your game, despite other people wanting it. You call it forced because you don't want it, while many others would call it supplementing an under-stocked vehicle count.

You said it yourself, arma is played by many different people. Let's try to view this from a collective perspective and not color the situation with our own opinions. There is room for your scripts to go on functioning as normal no matter what BIS adds, if you use explicit lists.

You'll have to take that up with BIS, then. I tried to explain the concept of safely dealing with unpredictable data to you, but if you don't want to listen and insist BIS is to blame, I can't help you.

Ohter thread. I'm honestly looking for a solution, especially for Alive on our case.

...When BIS added helicopters to the alpha, did people complain that it was forced on them?

Not at that time but today I know quite a few that do. If the vanilla content would be a modular addon I know a few servers that wouldn't launch these. There are enough alternatives out there and most are better then the vanilla content. I'm happy if BIS decides to create "any" new content for us because everything will draw new players. But I'm only happy if I'm not forced to wear only bunnyshirts from tomorrow on because a few guys decided to request bunny shirts.

Keep the community as diverse as it is and don't force (I'm still using this word because that's what it is) anything on us anymore. If you differ with that then I want to officially accept being forced to play only Battleroyal from tomorrow on for the rest of your life just because some people requested it.

If you differ with that then I want to officially accept being forced to play only Battleroyal from tomorrow on for the rest of your life just because some people requested it.

Apples to oranges. BIS adding content to my game does not force me to use that content. The only reason the karts were "forced" on you is because your script was essentially saying "give me everything, I'll take it all."

Last i heard those Milsim communities have completely rejected Arma 3 and are sticking with Arma 2? and that's completely understandable, BTW are BIS still patching that A2 after all this time?

Anyway

forced to stare at "Karts"
First world problems sound completely ridiculous don't they.

Apples to oranges. BIS adding content to my game does not force me to use that content. The only reason the karts were "forced" on you is because your script was essentially saying "give me everything, I'll take it all."

And that point is discussed in a different thread. There is no solution to that until BIS changes the way they add stuff.

Mate, I get your point but I won't keep spaming this thread. I request the removal of the karts and that should be it for this thread from me. Let's discuss the solution in the other thread.

forced to stare at "Karts"
First world problems sound completely ridiculous don't they.

QFE ;)

Karts ... is there an MP server so we can race against each other? Guess we need a new mod here!

Today I decided to give Karts DLC a go and fired up Circuit Training. Immediately switched to 3rd person and realized it was unplayable. Switched back to 1st person and it was much better but still very hard to control the kart consistently.

Then I'm thinking... what about if I plug in my wheel? So I dusted off my old MOMO Racing wheel and plugged it in. Set up controls and gave it a go.

OMG, it's glorious! I'm still slobbering all over my self from excitement :D.

Tracks are quite challenging except Terminal Velocity. I crashed a bit there and still managed to get Gold. BTW, whats the deal with Special Times thing? In Circuit Training it said some challenges may have special times but I have seen nothing about it. They should add time requirements in mission briefing as well.

My favorite track must be Negades Speedway.

So, if you have problems getting times and you have a wheel this is what you need.

First, you have to run the game at 60FPS (atleast 45).

Second, for my wheel, sensitivity and deadzone settings were pretty much spot on for most tracks. Force feedback is surprisingly decent for such application.

You can customize your settings under Configure\Controls\Controller Tab\Customize. In Logitech Profiler I left everything on default, I just added Arma 3 profile. Oddly enough, brake sensitivity is fine on 50% (default) but reverse is way to high. Something to fix. Meanwhile you might want to bind Handbrake to one of the buttons on your wheel.

Under 'Vehicle Movement' I bound Right Pedal for 'Car fast forward' and Left Pedal for 'Car back'. Wheel axis -/+ for 'Car Left/Right (Analog)'.

Last, you might want to have higher FoV. Especially for tracks like Terminal Velocity where you have very tight corners. Higher FoV will also reduce eye strain from all the bumps on some other tracks. I have it around 90°, maybe 100° and it works great.

Overall its a silly little DLC but I enjoy it very much

Today I decided to give Karts DLC a go and fired up Circuit Training. Immediately switched to 3rd person and realized it was unplayable. Switched back to 1st person and it was much better but still very hard to control the kart consistently.

Then I'm thinking... what about if I plug in my wheel? So I dusted off my old MOMO Racing wheel and plugged it in. Set up controls and gave it a go.

OMG, it's glorious! I'm still slobbering all over my self from excitement :D.

Tracks are quite challenging except Terminal Velocity. I crashed a bit there and still managed to get Gold. BTW, whats the deal with Special Times thing? In Circuit Training it said some challenges may have special times but I have seen nothing about it. They should add time requirements in mission briefing as well.

My favorite track must be Negades Speedway.

So, if you have problems getting times and you have a wheel this is what you need.

First, you have to run the game at 60FPS (atleast 45).

Second, for my wheel, sensitivity and deadzone settings were pretty much spot on for most tracks. Force feedback is surprisingly decent for such application.

You can customize your settings under Configure\Controls\Controller Tab\Customize. In Logitech Profiler I left everything on default, I just added Arma 3 profile. Oddly enough, brake sensitivity is fine on 50% (default) but reverse is way to high. Something to fix. Meanwhile you might want to bind Handbrake to one of the buttons on your wheel.

Under 'Vehicle Movement' I bound Right Pedal for 'Car fast forward' and Left Pedal for 'Car back'. Wheel axis -/+ for 'Car Left/Right (Analog)'.

Last, you might want to have higher FoV. Especially for tracks like Terminal Velocity where you have very tight corners. Higher FoV will also reduce eye strain from all the bumps on some other tracks. I have it around 90°, maybe 100° and it works great.

Overall its a silly little DLC but I enjoy it very much

Agreed on the first person, it's much more enjoyable and immersive than 3rd, but that's the same for everything (well except for when you have to drive in a tank)

Also agreed on the higher FOV, I set it from 70 to 74 using this: http://hia3.com/tools/ArmA_3_wide-angle_FOV_calculator_online_by_Hi,A3.htm and I find it perfect for my monitor.