RushHour

Arma 3 Kart DLC

I would quibble with one bit of your explanation, Kerc Kasha -- it's not BI not wanting to use the helicopter DLC, it's that the helicopter DLC isn't ready for at least another quarter.

this is about the kart dlc right ?

what has optimization got to do with it ??

it is probably not even the same team/dev (s) who does work on the dlc implementation and the engine work so why is this a topic here ?

dlc implementation is also valid work.

and on the side track topic, how many will ever get 120 pfs on arma anyway ? 2% of gamers ?

on the kart dlc note,

i like it and it does have some nice options for mission design.

I would quibble with one bit of your explanation, Kerc Kasha -- it's not BI not wanting to use the helicopter DLC, it's that the helicopter DLC isn't ready for at least another quarter.

Oh I know I more meant if it was ready and they used the current system there would probably be much more uproar about it

I think an important point for all those who say that BI would have better spend that time for other, more relevant (whatever that means to you) things:

1. VEHICLE:
    • The go-kart seen in the video was a hobby project made by senior artist Martin Valášek in his free time.

So i think the impact on overall A3 bugfixing/content developing is of minor impact, next to none.

No, it's not. And it never was advertised as a military simulation. It's advertised as a (and I quote the steam store page) "massive military sandbox" and "[authentic], diverse (and) open". Diversity and flexibility are the credo of Arma 3. If I hear military sandbox, it doesn't even necessarily have to do with fighting: BIS could implement a mini-game "Drinking at the casern on a saturday evening" and it still would fit their description. And that is exactly what puts Arma 3 beyond every other game out there. If it were a military simulation only, it would just be another shooter, only on a larger scale.

Sorry pergor.. but this the Advertisement:

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Myke;2701414']I think an important point for all those who say that BI would have better spend that time for other' date=' more relevant (whatever that means to you) things:

So i think the impact on overall A3 bugfixing/content developing is of minor impact, next to none.[/quote']

So instead of let say.. having bipods deploy as hobby .... we have a Kart?

I don't think anyone here (including me) is entitled to tell a dev what he is allowed/obligated to do in his/hers spare free time.

Sorry pergor.. but this the Advertisement:

Yep. No word of simulation there. And this is just a video ad. Marketing strategies usually don't just rely on one single video.

This is exactly the argument that some people bring up which isn't an argument at all. Please, go back and read the posts of the last four to five pages of this thread, so we don't have to repeat ourselves over and over again.

Bluntly speaking, yes. Heck, DayZ started as a certain mo-cap actor/MP mission designer's side thing...

P.S. The Marksmen DLC was scheduled for 2015.

A bit funny when you think about it.

What are BI Devs doing in their free time?

DayZ

Take on Mars

Karts

etc.

Shouldn´t you guys relax a little bit? :p

It's obvious there are some clever and possibly well educated people involved in this discussion ( and I'm neither), because it has descended into nit picking, hair splitting arguing about the correct terminology to be used when referring to what type of game ARMA is. Some of you gotta be lawyers right? Saying that I must admit I have enjoyed watching people and particularly Pergor politely but resolutely fight their corner. If BIS didn't add anything else to this game I would still consider it money well spent. Just enjoy a rant now and then.

Take on Mars
The funny thing is, considering the brochure statement that RV and Enforce will have a single successor, I wonder how much of TOM is actually being used to trial-run this...

Of course ArmA 3 is a Military Simulator and it should mainly focus on Military things, but some fun like this is also nice!

Bohemia, are drunk or what?

I mean, a 150mm Cannon versus a 20mm tubular chassis... i don't know how much is usefull...

bohemia-600.jpg

Myke;2701432']I don't think anyone here (including me) is entitled to tell a dev what he is allowed/obligated to do in his/hers spare free time.

Still missing the point.. if in their free time they want to do skate board and make the next tony hawk I'm fine... now include that in ARMA that is the part I don't understand.

Still missing the point.. if in their free time they want to do skate board and make the next tony hawk I'm fine... now include that in ARMA that is the part I don't understand.
Answer: Because they needed something to test the DLC system with, and Helicopters is nowhere near ready now.

Because that's fun. You know, a game...

Why not? It doesn't hurt anything to include it, and it's not like previous games haven't included silly assets.

Yep. No word of simulation there. And this is just a video ad. Marketing strategies usually don't just rely on one single video.

No going to your statement about :

"Yep. No word of simulation there. And this is just a video ad. Marketing strategies usually don't just rely on one single video."

That is the ONLY video official video from ARMA 3 on release, and if you want to talk on Marketing please look all the images released about the game, interview or notes put in the arma 3 home page

http://www.arma3.com/press-coverage

http://www.arma3.com/media/images

Last but not least:

http://www.arma3.com/features

EXPERIENCE TRUE COMBAT GAMEPLAY IN A MASSIVE MILITARY SANDBOX.

AUTHENTIC, DIVERSE, OPEN - ARMA 3 SENDS YOU TO WAR.

This is exactly the argument that some people bring up which isn't an argument at all. Please, go back and read the posts of the last four to five pages of this thread, so we don't have to repeat ourselves over and over again.

That is only ONE point of huge argument. As you suggested I will also ask you too to go back into the bug reports / feedback forums or missing functionality that are being asked since the ALPHA about 1 year and 4 months ago.

Swiss summaries perfectly at the beginning

Still I understand people would love to have karts in a sandbox...but as I said.. to me is sad.

As always I'm grateful to BI to make an open Sandbox that can be modify by the community who actually make the game that most of us will play for years.

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Why not? It doesn't hurt anything to include it, and it's not like previous games haven't included silly assets.

As I put in the 3 post previous to this.. I would understand it and actually say nice from BI to do this if you have a game that has no BIG issues at the core of the game or missing functionalists.

As I put in the 3 post previous to this.. I would understand it and actually say nice from BI to do this if you have a game that has no BIG issues at the core of the game or missing functionalists.

And like several times said: it is done in the free time. Devs are working all day long on code and required assets so they use their free time to free their mind and do things they just want to do because it's fun for them. I find it rather refreshing that devs even in their free time spend time on ArmA 3, it shows me that for them it is more than just a 9 to 5 job.

That said, during their paid worktime they work on ArmA 3 for the customers. After work, they work on it for fun...their fun. Now either you just appreciate that this gave us this little funny DLC or please just ignore this thread. Thank you.

Myke;2701648']And like several times said: it is done in the free time. Devs are working all day long on code and required assets so they use their free time to free their mind and do things they just want to do because it's fun for them. I find it rather refreshing that devs even in their free time spend time on ArmA 3' date=' it shows me that for them it is more than just a 9 to 5 job.

That said, during their paid worktime they work on ArmA 3 for the customers. After work, they work on it for fun...their fun. Now either you just appreciate that this gave us this little funny DLC or please just ignore this thread. Thank you.[/quote']

I guess you did not read what I replied in your statement about being free time....

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175514-Arma-3-Kart-DLC&p=2701621&viewfull=1#post2701621

But as you said, I will ignore this thread.

Regards.

now include that in ARMA that is the part I don't understand.

For the enjoyment of the players? I dunno but i heard that people play games to have fun...at least some of them.

Myself, as a ARMA fan, (having all versions of it) I see some lack of context in this DLC.

Myself, as a client, I see some lack of arguments with "it was made at free time" and "it is for charity" argumentation.

While is not my business what developers do with free time, this DLC is part of the ARMA 3 title, it is official content. Does not seems relevant to me the fact of having been made in free time or in work time. I have been forced to download it and I was having a padlock in my screen on it.

The fact is that belong to ARMA 3 and myself as client I was forced to download it, how and where it was made is irrelevant for this matter.

Also, while I do agree, appreciate and respect all the charity actions, I have my priorities in these matters which probably are not the same of Bohemia Interactive.

In short, being a side content of ARMA 3, being made by developers in free time to help with charity actions, this DLC should had been available as optional download, pointing the purposes of it. I quite sure that the same people would buy it anyway and everyone would feel that their rights were being treated with respect.

I always had and I have high consideration and respect for Bohemia Interactive and its titles, I want the keep it that way, I really hope not to see something similar in the future.

Edited by Bratwurste

Well, owning the DLC, i don't know how intrusive are the restrictions, or messages. Could someone enlighten me ?

If you don't use it, you get a tiny, very subtly picture on the main menu. When you do use it you get a picture on the right hand side of your screen, when you use it for a few minutes you get a semi transparent overlay of racing car helmets and if you continue to use it you get a little message which pops up and then disappears again. In addition if you end a mission with debriefing (by calling the endMission function rather than just clicking save and exit in the editor) you get a screen saying you have used Karts and that stays up for ten seconds before you can move on.