RushHour

Arma 3 Kart DLC

Karts dlc .... ok fine - not buying now but most likely i will buy the dlc bundle later mainly for better dlc

but only shame that those good dlc will take a while - helicopters dlc in September and the marksman in early 2015 ....

just great :j:

Not buying it but all my friends had a good laugh about adding karts into a wargame.

From the initial announcement of Arma 3 all I modestly hoped for was to have the problems of Arma 2 corrected. These primarily being poor MP AI performance and poor vehicle physics.

After the release of Arma 3 a not insignificant amount of the advertised content was missing from the Arma 3 release, some of which showed up eventually, albeit radically different from what was expected, for example the dynamic campaign was disappointingly replaced with small scale linear missions. And some of the missing content is now being listed as paid for DLC. For example the Helicopter DLC is implied to include the Take On Helicopter flight model which had originally been expected in vanilla Arma 3. Also the Marksmen DLC which is vaguely implied to offer improved weapon mechanics again could reasonably be an expected feature in vanilla Arma 3 as we had repeatedly been told that Arma 3 would be focused explicitly on the "Infantry Experience".

As it currently stands little real progress has been seen in the areas of MP AI performance, Headless Client is still undocumented and unsupported, the Linux Dedicated server is still to receive any meaningful attention, the current PhysX implementation still allows for vehicles weighting multiple tons to be ridiculously blown into the air. But there is plenty of time to experiment with new DLC mechanics and other trivial activities. I get the feeling that nobody wants to tackle the elephant in the room, we just want to play with the new toys while they are still shiny.

Yes. Karts.

Exactly what I was wanting to have when I bought A3 Alpha.

In the same way, when I bought NFS I was expecting to have a Military SIM.

Nailed it.

------

Why is it whine when you criticize the developers? Are we not allowed to do that?

Edited by Llano

Someone should make a Mario Kart total conversion mod based on this. Including lightning strikes, shell missiles, 40 player races and lots more explosions than the original.

Why is it whine when you criticize the developers? Are we not allowed to do that?

Because a majority of the complaints are just that, whining. They are not valid criticisms, they are outbursts of emotion. Posting "this sucks" does not add to the discussion. Posting the reasons for why it sucks is actually useful and people can make useful responses to it.

Someone should make a Mario Kart total conversion mod based on this. Including lightning strikes, shell missiles, 40 player races and lots more explosions than the original.

Well zeus can do the lightning strikes, stick a few landmines as obstacles (the APERS tripwire mine is perfect for this purpose) and stick 40 karts on a race through the middle of Kavala, we're pretty close. :D

(Now that would be an amusing entry for MANW, these forums would explode!)

... As it currently stands little real progress has been seen in the areas of MP AI performance ...

Just this week:

rev 124689: Enabled guaranteed network messages (More info in 27-05-2014 SITREP.)

rev 124691: Added multithreaded sensor updates.

Because a majority of the complaints are just that, whining. They are not valid criticisms, they are outbursts of emotion. Posting "this sucks" does not add to the discussion. Posting the reasons for why it sucks is actually useful and people can make useful responses to it.

Which i did?

I posted that the developers should spend more time on other more important stuff to the game. Does this game REALLY need karts?

IMO same thing with Zeus. Sure, a nice future, but did the community want it? Were we requesting it? We already had similair tools.

I am just critizizing the priority that the developers have on stuff to implement/fix in the game. The feedback-tracker is FULL of issues that has ben there for a LONG time. Still, nothing happens with them.

Just this week:

rev 124689: Enabled guaranteed network messages (More info in 27-05-2014 SITREP.)

rev 124691: Added multithreaded sensor updates.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/piecemeal

PS.

Good software can be measured by the quality of it's documentation. So I did a search for "AI" on the BIS wiki and looked at the revision history for all the hits. Guess what, not one single revision in 2014. So no progress worth documenting in the last 5 months at least.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:AI

Edited by ssechaud

Which i did?

I posted that the developers should spend more time on other more important stuff to the game. Does this game REALLY need karts?

IMO same thing with Zeus. Sure, a nice future, but did the community want it? Were we requesting it? We already had similair tools.

I am just critizizing the priority that the developers have on stuff to implement/fix in the game. The feedback-tracker is FULL of issues that has ben there for a LONG time. Still, nothing happens with them.

BIS has a well known policy of encouraging personal projects, such as DayZ, Take On Mars, and those Zeus/Kart DLCs. I find it very nice and clever.

Which i did?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that any of your posts were useless. I was just saying that some posts in this thread (and others) are counterproductive.

To respond to what you're saying: Maybe you should read the roadmap again. The Karts were created in one person's spare time. This did not cut away from any development time of the features and improvements you're looking for. Since so many people demanded that the April Fools joke be made a reality, they decided to use it to "test drive" the new DLC model. They even found a way to benefit a charity in the process.

Same thing with Zeus, more or less. Zeus was not something the whole development team was working on. There is no "focus" on Zeus or Karts. To say no issues have been solved or been worked on is just false.

Also, the argument that nobody demanded Zeus and therefore they shouldn't have put it in the game is a really poor one. I couldn't have possibly demanded it because the entire idea never occurred to me. But once I found out about it, I realized it was an absolutely brilliant addition to a game like Arma. It compliments emergent gameplay and the open-ended nature of Arma perfectly. And no mod comes close to letting you do what you can in Zeus, and certainly not with the same quality.

Edited by vegeta897

I think I've been getting twenty or so seconds on the first course (if I haven't crashed.) How the hell does one even get to the eighteens?

Pure skill and some goats to chear you up :D

I'm pretty sure it's possible to get into high 16s, but I'm stuck at mid 17s... Not enough goats maybe?

Does this game REALLY need karts?

Come on bro, we all know BIS have still to "make all the things" for all us whiney Arma brats, but its not like they have shut up shop and gone home like some other shit titles out there, theres some really cool things in the pipeline especially with some big name mods on the way along with an island or two that im really looking forward to, CSAT helmets are being sorted :D and new mods and scripts made available every other day, i think its good for future development that the developers can have a little fun along the way and help pick the spirit up.. its a slow burn but they are usually the best ones..

Now im loving the peddle animations and after ripping around on these im feeling the need for just a bit more speed :P - V8 class? Formula one around Altis?

What some people in these forums tend to forget ... BIS is much cleverer that j00 !

If BIS sold 'shit on a stickTM' I'd buy it. Why? Cos it may start off as 'shit on a stickTM' but BIS will make sure it ends up being 'better than sliced breadTM'.

What some people in these forums tend to forget ... BIS is much cleverer that j00 !

If BIS sold 'shit on a stickTM' I'd buy it. Why? Cos it may start off as 'shit on a stickTM' but BIS will make sure it ends up being 'better than sliced breadTM'.

I'm sorry but i didn't understand even one word...

Oh let me translate:

Everything BIS does is awesome. I bow to their genius and will lick their arse if it pleases them.

Basically every Kremator post abouth things BIS does ever :rolleyes:

Edited by Tonci87

Why thankyou Tonci! I do disagree now and then, but we hopefully can agree that the armaverse is a wonderful place?

Why thankyou Tonci! I do disagree now and then, but we hopefully can agree that the armaverse is a wonderful place?

Of course it is, that is why I´m still around here :p

You guys are not seeing the difference between whining and -speaking up-, it'd be barely an issue if it were a free dlc "Thanks for dealing with all the shit this past year, heres a popsicle"

We get to voice our displeasure. How else would BI get to know? Guess? KARTz fans (all 150) cheered loudly April 1st, so BI listened (friendly enough) - was that representative of the wants and needs of the tens of thousands of Arma 3 players? Doubtful. Take a look at the Feedback Tracker, perhaps in the 'Feature Request' category. Then do a search for 'karts' - in ANY category. This is not what players wanted, by any amount.

Its not about 'entitlement', or not allowing developers to work on their own projects - its about players who have patiently supported, defended, and assisted a product which they believed in - putting up with any number of issues that would be considered unacceptable in most games - speaking out. We had turned a blind eye to so many things, because we love Arma. Its hard for players not to take it personally (the same way you take it personally when we disagree)

All thats being asked is next time for BI to give more consideration to what their customers actually wanted - A civilian vehicle pack would have been a more appropriate choice, for example.

They sold a mil-sim* sandbox, so you don't get to call us whiners when we expect what we bought. Its an infantry shooter. We had every right to expect bundled, paid content to be atleast in the same category as the game that was sold. And as a customer you get that voice; As a supporter I get that voice.

On a positive note, i've found much enjoyment from the karts explosive properties, and look forward to ambushing unsuspecting karters :D

They sold a mil-sim* sandbox, so you don't get to call us whiners when we expect what we bought. Its an infantry shooter. We had every right to expect bundled, paid content to be atleast in the same category as the game that was sold. And as a customer you get that voice; As a supporter I get that voice.

As a supporter i got it for free ;)

Just kidding, don't throw bananas

As a supporter i got it for free ;)

Just kidding, don't throw bananas

:D so did i

its the principle for me. and in reality i care far less than my typed-out words may make it seem.

The fact is that their business is driven by customer demand. if we don't demand it, they won't make it :) In the end, dissent will only serve to help improve the game and BI.

The DLC strategy outright calls it a trial run for the plans for the Helicopters and Markmen DLC, as Byku said.*cough* More likely because a bunch of the servers are not up to the v1.2 version (of Arma 3) that just came out on this day.Only if you bought the Supporter Edition.

Anyone know how I can verify that I bought the Supporter Edition?

Anyone know how I can verify that I bought the Supporter Edition?

Check your bank account :)

it was like $90

Edited by dr_strangepete