RushHour

Arma 3 Kart DLC

Releasing a little add on for fun because on the first of april a lot of people wanted it, I get.

Charging for it, especially for the current amount, I get.

Making it so that the playerbase isn't split, I get too.

But invading your faithful players with micro-transaction level ads, I don't.

I mean, really ?

http://i.imgur.com/dZ5hsNQ.jpg (601 kB)

you can see the pop ups there

When did you thought it was going to be right this way. You're usually more careful about your community. I'm afraid it is going to be the same for the passengers of the DLC vehicles, ruining the helicopter DLC in advance D: .

But I'm sure you'll correct it, find an other way, a more subtle way, less intrusive. I and a lot of other players trust you BI, don't break that. Please.

I have to admit, when I seen this update I was a little pissed and so were the people in my clan.

But now having read that some of the proceeds go to charity and it's pretty much a showcase for their new DLC policy (see http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/465-roadmap-14-15-dlc-strategy-blog), I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy again.

So two thumbs up from me. :yay:

Lol you still don't understand.. is not about get it or not..

I would love BI working on improving a game that to me is a mil sim and adding value to it but is obvious that I¿m wrong thinking like that.

If I want to play a car sim I play Assetto corsa or something that is simu on that..

This whole DLC was made by one dev in his free time as a pet project, who the hell are you to dictate what they do in their free time

Yes. Karts.

Exactly what I was wanting to have when I bought A3 Alpha.

In the same way, when I bought NFS I was expecting to have a Military SIM.

Can I ask what the hell is going on? I haven't been playing Arma in awhile, waiting for it to come out of the oven because it wasn't quite done and check the forums every once in a while but then I see this... Karts on Armaholic. Zeus was a little off base, but a Pay DLC for karts?

Now, I've defended BI in the past when A3 was a mess at launch. And I defended them when everyone was complaining about the "copy and paste" going on with the game objects... And I sit around waiting for a solid group of civilians, including WOMEN are put in the game, but no...

We get karts.

Maybe I missed the point of the game I purchased? Let me check... no it says "Experience true combat gameplay in a massive military sandbox." Okay, so what you are telling me is that we have finished the military combat stuff and we can move on to goofy stuff. Got it. See ya later Arma when you remember your roots.

As someone said above, it's a project that was a joke and people liked it so BI released it. It was done by one dev. It's like a showcase for how DLCs will work in the future.

and if you don't like it, don't buy it.

One more thing, please.

When you are releasing a paid DLC, before you force me to download ask me first if I want to buy it.

I bought this one just because couldn't stand to see a padlock on my screen every time i was opening the game, but wont happen again.

This whole DLC was made by one dev in his free time as a pet project, who the hell are you to dictate what they do in their free time

Lol even worse... did you ever read what I put in four post and this is your reply...

WHO DEMANDED anything ?

I think it was a nice addition, although I don't believe it was worthy of being charged for. As long as most of the proceeds go to charity, it is understandable.

Here's a quick overview video for those of you who have yet to try it out.

Lol even worse... did you ever read what I put in four post and this is your reply...

WHO DEMANDED anything ?

You did, you might not have blatantly said it but the intention is there. To say 'they should have worked on something milsim'(paraphrase but past the sarcasm that's what you were saying, right?) is dictating what they do with their free time.

People are criticizing this as if Bohemia deleted all the military assets and all that's left is the karts now.

I really hate the EBO files. What I think BIS should have done is when a player buys Karts (or whatever DLC) it will download PBO files to replace the EBOs.

I'm in love with the new Coveralls W/ the Gloves and I'm itching to use them in my mods but I cant with the stupid EBO situation. :/

The sense of entitlement on this forum is just breathtaking sometimes. The last I checked, shelling out $30-60 for a game did not automatically ensure you a say in the developer/publisher's ongoing development and revenue processes and priorities.

If you so chose you can splash a couple of bucks for a fun little non-essential DLC to help charity, demonstrate the new DLC framework and further support an innovative and responsive developer whose inexpensive and constantly evolving software has given people literally hundreds (or even thousands) of hours of enjoyment. The DLC has diverted essentially zero resources from addressing the numerous legitimate issues regarding the engine and content.

Is Arma3 perfect - no. Will it ever be - no. Can I even define perfect as regards a bloody videogame - no. Will it continue to evolve and improve - yes. Will people continue to pointlessly complain about every new decision and release of BIS - well, just read this thread. I could point out any number of large and small developers and publishers who treat customers as an exploitable resource at best and potential enemies at worst. BIS is not one of them.

If you so chose you can splash a couple of bucks for a fun little non-essential DLC to help charity, demonstrate the new DLC framework and further support an innovative and responsive developer whose inexpensive and constantly evolving software has given people literally hundreds (or even thousands) of hours of enjoyment. The DLC has diverted essentially zero resources from addressing the numerous legitimate issues regarding the engine and content.

Out of curiosity, what video games do you think are more expensive than Arma 3?

Games in Australia are usually 90 bucks a piece so, everything?

In Australia pretty much all of them, Most AAA games on Steam are $80 but you can get them for like $50-$60 from other online retailers. All in All for the price of ArmA 3 and the continued development it is a absolute bargain.

Nearly all of them. The average new AAA title costs $70-90 in Australia. I picked up Arma3 for $29 in alpha, and it's usually $59 on Steam. I buy plenty of cheapo independent games too, but don't consider that I'll get 1000+ hours out of any of them.

The point I was making (and that you're hopefully not trying to derail via strawman) is that the hours of enjoyment per dollar ratio of Arma3 is remarkably high. Adding a couple of dollars for this DLC will make little impact on that ratio.

After all, we will buy all their military stuff anyway. Usually it's at good prices I must say. I just don't want to see a shop system and adverts inside ArmA. What we see here is a first step. I'm fine if they put shops and adverts into their children game department. Altis Life Standalone with virtual Bohemia Shop and real ingame money. Let Zombies do adverts. But not in my ArmA! :D

The sense of entitlement on this forum is just breathtaking sometimes. The last I checked, shelling out $30-60 for a game did not automatically ensure you a say in the developer/publisher's ongoing development and revenue processes and priorities.

I'm considering to calm down, dear TPW :)

Edited by tortuosit

I was really excited to see this as DLC today, and bought it immediately. I am kind of disappointed though:

The kart models included are designed like 125cc shifter carts, which are usually equipped with 2 stroke, have around 45 hp, and a top speed of around 200-250 kmp/h. The karts in the DLC have a top speed of only 100 km/h. That's only 62 mph :(

I hope the top speed can be increased, I suspect that it would be an easy fix.

After all, we will buy all their military stuff anyway. Usually it's at good prices I must say. I just don't want to see a shop system and adverts inside ArmA. What we see here is a first step.
*cough* It's outright a planned experiment for how to go about setting up such a purchase method... not least because they realize how many people would click on "PURCHASE."

For me the value judgment will be in how much "playable content" (i.e. missions? mini-campaigns?) there will be for the two main DLCs, especially if there's only two heavy transport helos announced for the Helicopters DLC... so I'm holding off on any public value judgment of either 'military-themed' DLC first, there's simply not enough information on what's locked behind the paywall.

Ive just purchased it for $1.99!!? thats half the price of any sugar energy drink lol.

ive already had a blast blatting around Stratis airport.. great stuff, keep on truckn!!

Ive just purchased it for $1.99!!? thats half the price of any sugar energy drink lol.
I can think of a bunch of stuff in New York City that's more expensive than this DLC was...

This was a tiny thing that a single developer made. Probably in his spare time. Unless you think that developers should spend every waking moment working, it's pretty hard to argue that this took any time away from development of Arma 3. It was also pretty obvious it was going to be released eventually.

The only thing that is surprising is that they decided to charge for it.

However way you look at it, Zeus and Kart DLC undoubtedly took time unless they made a third party deal with it.

Instead of a 3D editor, we get Zeus

Instead of an April Fools joke, it´s real and they charge for it.

But no need to worry, when you are alone in the niche, you can afford to not give a f because there´s no competition.

They could release a serious DLC next week about My Little Pony and nobody would do sh*t. Unfortunately this is the ugly truth.

It's nice they're doing it for charity and all, but I don't appreciate content being added to update packages, with the mentality of forced proceeds. It increases the size, and being charged for something I might not ever use. This remands me of the people who stand in front of the stores asking for donations and then making you feel bad if you don't have the extra cash on you. I give money to charity already. How about fixing the Gamma issue that's been brought up time and time again over the last four months.

Edited by starstreams

However way you look at it, Zeus and Kart DLC undoubtedly took time unless they made a third party deal with it.

Instead of a 3D editor, we get Zeus

Instead of an April Fools joke, it´s real and they charge for it.

But no need to worry, when you are alone in the niche, you can afford to not give a f because there´s no competition.

They could release a serious DLC next week about My Little Pony and nobody would do sh*t. Unfortunately this is the ugly truth.

You're overreacting. Karts were not serious until some people asked for it and it really DID NOT take programmer's time except what's stated; Zeus adds a lot of value to the game. A mission with a skilled Zeus is a blast. Besides, again, a freaking test of the DLC system is priceless. I wish they did it before A2OA and didn't clog my Steam game list with 6 entries where there should have been 2.

Edited by DarkWanderer