zorrobyte

Group Link 5 Core (AI Enhancement)

Now that the PwS version is working, I've played with this for a few minutes. One thing I'm not seeing, which is in GL4, is AI using or garrisoning (is that even a word?) buildings. In GL4, you can plop down a group and they will automatically move into a nearby building. I'm not seeing that with GL5.

I'm also not seeing AI throw smoke. I know that had to be redone in bCombat because of recent changes in Arma 3, so maybe that's the case here as well.

I haven't tested long enough to see if rearming is working. I know Robalo had to remove that feature from ASR AI for A3 because the code stopped working so that might be an issue for GL5, too.

On the plus side, AI are now using their grenade launchers and to deadly effect. I'm also seeing some pretty good flanking when AI aren't killed on first contact with the enemy.

Thanks for porting this over. Like others on these forums, I love testing out and playing against these AI mods. They really add a lot of fun to SP.

Interesting points but what if Group Link and Group Link II was "open" in the first place? How could SNKMAN rewrite the terms (EULA) without asking Toadlife and me (actually, I wasn't aware of it until it was mentioned here)?

how ironic ;)

i'm just glad this didn't turn into needless drama since it's a great system that deserves to be used and improved upon. i'm all for respecting author's wishes no matter how restrictive they are but it's easy to go overboard and witch hunt style. so glad this turned out peacefully. would be sad to see zorrobyte get demotivated by this.

Now that the PwS version is working, I've played with this for a few minutes. One thing I'm not seeing, which is in GL4, is AI using or garrisoning (is that even a word?) buildings. In GL4, you can plop down a group and they will automatically move into a nearby building. I'm not seeing that with GL5.

I'm also not seeing AI throw smoke. I know that had to be redone in bCombat because of recent changes in Arma 3, so maybe that's the case here as well.

I haven't tested long enough to see if rearming is working. I know Robalo had to remove that feature from ASR AI for A3 because the code stopped working so that might be an issue for GL5, too.

On the plus side, AI are now using their grenade launchers and to deadly effect. I'm also seeing some pretty good flanking when AI aren't killed on first contact with the enemy.

Thanks for porting this over. Like others on these forums, I love testing out and playing against these AI mods. They really add a lot of fun to SP.

- I have seen units labelled as Garrison in the debug and they do seem to move to enter a nearby building

- have not seen any units throw smoke even once

- I tried to get units to re-arm by putting down a few ammo boxes nearby but they would not do it automagically

- grenadier units are indeed much improved and their aim is decent too

- groups are very good at flanking

Edited by SavageCDN

- I have seen units labelled as Garrison in the debug and they do seem to move to enter a nearby building

- have not seen any units throw smoke even once

- I tried to get units to re-arm by putting down a few ammo boxes nearby but they would not do it automagically

- GL units are indeed much improved and their aim is decent too

- groups are very good at flanking

1. Garrison seems to be working

2. Same, no smoke thrown from observations

3. Rearming code "works" however rearming is broken in A3 http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?173515-Asr-ai-3&p=2636092&highlight=rearming#post2636092

4. Nice

5. Nice!

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Thanks KeyCat for clearing that up.. I imagine since we have the good graces of a handfull of the mod's original devs, I can post this..... I have "for personal use only" test port of GL4 into A3. Ai enhancements and visual effects. I did it some time ago. Is this ok? Keycat? Dwarden?.. Its just a fucking bad ass mod i couldnt help myself... I have not shared it with anyone and have been waiting for zerrobyte to take the lead on this. As he has much better standing around here then i do. When i had asked months ago about porting GL4 over i got a bunch of PM's scolding the very idea.. And when Zerrobyte said in the very same thread he was going to port it, and no one said anything to him, I knew he was the act to follow.

for the record i sent SNKMAN Several emails over the last year. I honestly hadn't emailed anyone else about the mod because, as far as i knew he was the last person to work on it and was the foremost person to give authority to port it over. No offence intended KeyCat, Dwarden. I just figured i wasnt sharing it.

Zerrobyte if your interested in what i did ill send it to you to aid you in your quest.

Just as Zerrobyte has stated for himself. i claim NO ownership of this works. its a port of someone else's work.

Zerrobyte, im not trying to step on your toes, im really excited to see someone else as well working on it. As well as the support from the comm. of those that would like to see GL live on.

Add me on skype or steam, simply send me a pm or ross.fisher91 on skype. I'd love to work with you and you are free to do as you see fit with the work! I'd prefer to put it into GL5 and get the FX modules going but such is your choice :)

LP, there some some guy who had GL4 "beta" before SNKMAN disappeared, do you know who that is?

Edited by zorrobyte

sweet.

I have skyped u.

The person that had the beta version was "mrcash2009 ".

Thanks for the feedback, zorrobyte and SavageCDN. I'll take a closer look at the garrison thing to see what I did wrong.

Hey guys the beast has awaked. Zerrobyte has merged our files and we have done some testing I cant speek for his results. However, to me results are Very promising. There are a few problems some things stopped working after the merge but im sure it will work out.

Currently having issues with the burning feature and a few of the fx. I have done some testing with modules and waypoints statig patrol teams are functional. etc. for the person that asked about building fires i did a quick grenade to a building check and there was fire. hopefully ill get some time to add the smoke and spark effects

Im still using a default usercfg for testing but im going to pump some numbers up to make sure things are working.

edit:

just got blood fx working, again.

just got burning fx working again. still trying to catch on fire before i die.

Edited by Lordprimate

I love that people are grouping together, great work guys

Thank you very much for continuing the great GL4 to Arma 3.GL4 mod is responsible for hundreds of hours editing my missions .. for now only works the core is not it? modules operate at full?

Hey guys the beast has awaked. Zerrobyte has merged our files and we have done some testing I cant speek for his results. However, to me results are Very promising. There are a few problems some things stopped working after the merge but im sure it will work out.

Currently having issues with the burning feature and a few of the fx. I have done some testing with modules and waypoints statig patrol teams are functional. etc. for the person that asked about building fires i did a quick grenade to a building check and there was fire. hopefully ill get some time to add the smoke and spark effects

Im still using a default usercfg for testing but im going to pump some numbers up to make sure things are working.

edit:

just got blood fx working, again.

just got burning fx working again. still trying to catch on fire before i die.

wow! I was just playing ARMA2 with GL4 and remember the walls on fire. Would you be able to make the fire effects looks more like Blastcore For Arma 3? Would like to have the GL effects but on the same fidelity as Blastcore.

Please post a screenshot and keep up the great work LB and ZB!

Glad to see you guys working together! Looking forward to seeing this beast when you guys are ready.

Man, this sounds pretty awesome. I wanted to know something though; I assume this changes a lot about the AI under the hood...do you think this would break the campaign or heavily scripted affairs? I remember using a mix that featured GL4 for ArmA II and the AI would often do their own thing after they completed their waypoints, but I am not certain if that was GL4 or an overlapping element of something else. There were things I liked about GL4 though, like how the AI tried to use flares and enter buildings.

Great to hear!! DAC and GL4 shared a 'global variable' according to the DAC manual.. beyond that I am unsure. IIRC it covered sharing enemy info between DAC and GL4 groups. I can try and find out more info from the DAC author if you are interested.

Zorro check this post by DAC author:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?173755-quot-X-Cam-quot-and-quot-DAC-quot-Project&p=2658438&viewfull=1#post2658438

Hmm, im the only who cant the debug to go away?

sixt go into the user config.

in the userconfig there are core, local, and global.. Look in each there are debug settings in there. you have to comment them out. in core its the last one its simply the initialization text, so you know its started. the local one its near the top ( player debug marker ) and one the bottome ( multiplayer debug). In global its near the bottom, the third section from the bottom (Enemy Ai array , and markers).. once you turn all that off you should have no markers!

happy linking!!

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

wow! I was just playing ARMA2 with GL4 and remember the walls on fire. Would you be able to make the fire effects looks more like Blastcore For Arma 3? Would like to have the GL effects but on the same fidelity as Blastcore.

Please post a screenshot and keep up the great work LB and ZB!

Blast core is a whole nother animal. If you didnt know this OpiticalSnare has litterally created new textures for the fire and smoke. I dont think well be doing this. However, i have mentioned to Zerro my goal about adding smoke and some sound effects to houses that are on fire. Currently there is only fire. I am currently unsure how to go about it with in the current code, as i want to seamlessly add it ( trust me i am lookin it to it). Not create a whole new function etc.

EDIT---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just messaged OS about helping me out with GroupLink5's effects. More Specificly, a smoke pillar on houses that are on fire.

Edited by Lordprimate

So...this is gonna sound like an idiot question but...

Do I need to place the modules and sync them to the AI for this to work? I've read the Readme, but maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

If that is the case, then obviously this addon would do nothing for existing missions?

Pulstar i do believe surrender is working, however im not sure about the anim. the last time i had an ai surrender they were just standing there. no arms on head.

are you running @bCombat? Thanks for reminding me im going to fix that now

So...this is gonna sound like an idiot question but...

Do I need to place the modules and sync them to the AI for this to work? I've read the Readme, but maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

If that is the case, then obviously this addon would do nothing for existing missions?

I do believe your thought process is correct, In most cases. However, there is a default startup. but you can personalize things with the modules.

what im saying is that default things will run when you run GL5. but to get the advantages of what the modules do you obviously have to place them in the editor.

FOR MP MISSIONS

When your making an MP mission you

ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO :

1)Place a System module

2)Place a Special FX module.

3)Synchronize All Playable units to both modules (1) and (2)

4)Place Enemy Unit

5)Synchronize Enemy Unit to System Module

if this is not done GL5 will not be properly initialized in MP

______________________________________________________________________\

However, as i stated above you can make a mission and not put any modules down and GL5 will still initialize on enemy units.

Edited by Lordprimate

Hi Zorrobyte,

I'm getting a UI error and cannot see the module icons in editor, does it require dev branch? Sorry if it's been asked before.

Hi Zorrobyte,

I'm getting a UI error and cannot see the module icons in editor, does it require dev branch? Sorry if it's been asked before.

It's a bug due to the A3 port which will be fixed.

FX edition coming soon thanks to Lordprimate!

just a heads up, i got surrendering to work as intended. it was using "dropWeapon" which is bugged right now. just a few more personal tests and ill push it to you zerro.

Hey Zorrobyte, nice to see you working on great GL5.

Would you like to give us an example for the script based initialisation of GL5? That would be nice, thanks in advance.

I have one question because is not clear to me.

If I enable the mod version in our server. This will affect all the AI placed in the mission?

Usually we do Dynamic missions using VTS or MCC.

Or to use it we need to create a mission in the arma editor and add the modules?

I have one question because is not clear to me.

If I enable the mod version in our server. This will affect all the AI placed in the mission?

Usually we do Dynamic missions using VTS or MCC.

Or to use it we need to create a mission in the arma editor and add the modules?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175475-Group-Link-5-Core-(AI-Enhancement)&p=2659795&viewfull=1#post2659795

for the most part it is answered in that post. but to make sure i hit the specific subject. If you launch GL5 on your server you will get some default GL5 ai effects. However, to get the full blown effect you need to follow the instructions i layed out on the previous page.... So just edit the mission you want to run, and add the afor mentioned modules and sync.

Edited by Lordprimate