Group Link 5 Core (AI Enhancement)

Group Link 5 Core

Version 1.0 Release date: 3/27/2014

Project state:

experimental

Credits/History

Toadlife - Operation Flashpoint Group Link The Original

KeyCat - Operation Flashpoint Group Link 2 The enhanced version

=\SNKMAN/= - Armed Assault Group Link 2 Plus with special thanks to ZoneKiller, KyleSarnik, Solus

=\SNKMAN/= - Armed Assault Group Link 3

snYpir, Zayfod, Toadlife, Igor Drukov, General Barron, TJ - Operation Flashpoint Mod ECP ( Enhanced Configuration Project )

thunderbird84, Harkonin - Operation Flashpoint Mod F.F.U.R

=\SNKMAN/= - Armed Assault 2 Group Link 4 Special FX Edition

Zorrobyte - Armed Assault 3 Group Link 5 Core for Arma 3

KeyCat originally open sourced GL2, in which SNKMAN violated this license and instead closed sourced his port. Zorrobyte released GL5 open source which outraged some of the Arma community. I am humbled to stand up and carry Group Link onward, thank you!

Licence

This work is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

Notices:

You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.

No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.

Project description

To maintain the core AI enhancements from Group Link for the Arma 3 engine and to further develop Group Link for the next iteration of Armed Assault.

Dependencies:

None known as of yet, GL4 suggested CBA however GL5 has been tested without CBA with no notable issues.

Documentation:

Please see the Wiki at https://bitbucket.org/zorrobyte/group-link-5-core/wiki/Home

Known Issues: (please report issues here)

https://bitbucket.org/zorrobyte/group-link-5-core/issues?status=new&status=open

Repository:

https://bitbucket.org/zorrobyte/group-link-5-core/overview

Installation instructions:

Copy the "@GL5" folder into your Arma 3 root directory.

Drag the "UserConfig" folder from "@GL5\UserConfig" in your Arma 3 root directory.

Additional Notes:

Thank you to the Arma community for the support, without you GL5 wouldn't of been possible. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175184-Licensing-issues-with-porting-GL4-to-A3

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhp50wtwruvlw5p/%40GL5v1.zip

Edited by zorrobyte
Changed license

Thanks for pushing this out... just FYI your wiki link is 404. Also do you plan on releasing a script version in addition to the mod version?

edit: also... DAC for A3 is on it's way... one of the great features of GL4 and DAC 3 was that they worked together and even shared enemy info, etc. Do you think this will be possible for GL5?

yayyyyy Another favorite finally released. Congrats! :)

New mod v1.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@gl5.png

@ zorrobyte ;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Hey Zorro, you will need to define your

icon = "\ca\ui\data\icon_functions_ca.paa";
picture = "\ca\ui\data\icon_functions_ca.paa";

to maybe something like this:

icon = "\a3\Missions_F_Gamma\data\img\iconMPTypeSeize_ca.paa";
	picture = "\a3\Missions_F_Gamma\data\img\iconMPTypeSeize_ca.paa";

You can find these in the config section of your mission editor. Just open it up and find all the modules. They have quite a few in there. ;)

They icons are not showing up on the map.... UNLESS it just doing this for me. lol

Thanks for pushing this out... just FYI your wiki link is 404. Also do you plan on releasing a script version in addition to the mod version?

edit: also... DAC for A3 is on it's way... one of the great features of GL4 and DAC 3 was that they worked together and even shared enemy info, etc. Do you think this will be possible for GL5?

Thank you, link updated and should work now

Script version is very possible and is in the plans for release soon. An automatic way of doing so is in the works.

As for DAC, we shall see what has changed in the codebase. When you say shared info, do you mean that DAC hooked into GL4 and switched units between combat, defense, house search, reinforcement, etc or some other way? Do you know if there was any servariable or adding to arrays going on?

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Hey Zorro, you will need to define your

icon = "\ca\ui\data\icon_functions_ca.paa";
picture = "\ca\ui\data\icon_functions_ca.paa";

to maybe something like this:

icon = "\a3\Missions_F_Gamma\data\img\iconMPTypeSeize_ca.paa";
	picture = "\a3\Missions_F_Gamma\data\img\iconMPTypeSeize_ca.paa";

You can find these in the config section of your mission editor. Just open it up and find all the modules. They have quite a few in there. ;)

They icons are not showing up on the map.... UNLESS it just doing this for me. lol

Thank you, issue updated:

https://bitbucket.org/zorrobyte/group-link-5-core/issue/2/modules-cannot-load-texture-ca-ui-data

Last note, DEBUG is on for 1.0, will be turned off by default in next version. If you'd like to turn it off simply go to "Arma 3\userconfig\GL5\GL5_Global.sqf" and comment out GL5_Global set [61, True];

// Choose if the "Array" debug should be used.
   // Note: This debug shows the most important enemy A.I. arrays.
   // True / False, default is False
   [b]//[/b]   GL5_Global set [61, True];

Edited by zorrobyte

Hi Zorrobyte,

It looks like excellent!!

Is there the same features than Arma2? Especially the rearming function for the IA?

And concerning the FX effect is this compatible with blastcore?

thanks in advance,

Thank you, link updated and should work now

Script version is very possible and is in the plans for release soon. An automatic way of doing so is in the works.

As for DAC, we shall see what has changed in the codebase. When you say shared info, do you mean that DAC hooked into GL4 and switched units between combat, defense, house search, reinforcement, etc or some other way? Do you know if there was any servariable or adding to arrays going on?

Great to hear!! DAC and GL4 shared a 'global variable' according to the DAC manual.. beyond that I am unsure. IIRC it covered sharing enemy info between DAC and GL4 groups. I can try and find out more info from the DAC author if you are interested.

Hi Zorrobyte,

It looks like excellent!!

Is there the same features than Arma2? Especially the rearming function for the IA?

And concerning the FX effect is this compatible with blastcore?

thanks in advance,

Rearming is technically in the codebase although untested.

As for GL5 FX, all FX modules (also HC for now) have been removed as GL5 Core is AI enhancement only (with radio chatter as a special treat). My plans are to release a GL5 FX package if feasible so GL5 is broken down to different modules as so:

@GL5Core

@GL5FX

@GL5Audio

...etc

I was confused as a user first time I downloaded GL4 long ago, what was this AI enhancement or FX? I think breaking it into its own modules going forward would be beneficial.

Basically put, GL5 is full GL4 with HC and FX removed. My original additions have been so far, rescanning for units-mortars-air during mission runtime for use with dynamic missions (while adding AIR and Mortar to the respective GL arrays) and fixing config issues for the port.

If you would like a more in depth view of what has changed since GL4, please see my old GL4 to A3 repo:

https://bitbucket.org/zorrobyte/gl4-for-a3/commits/all

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Great to hear!! DAC and GL4 shared a 'global variable' according to the DAC manual.. beyond that I am unsure. IIRC it covered sharing enemy info between DAC and GL4 groups. I can try and find out more info from the DAC author if you are interested.

Would be appreciated!

If you wouldn't mind creating an enhancement ticket on the repo when you find out with desired scope; that would be awesome!

Performance enhancements are in the works:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175184-Licensing-issues-with-porting-GL4-to-A3&p=2656893&viewfull=1#post2656893

Edited by zorrobyte

really great! :D I'll give a test ASAP.

Yes my opinion is the same (better to separate the functionalities if possible to avoid mods conflicts)

Congrats on the release ! i love it and it's work perfectly on my server thanks ;)

Nice to see this coming to ArmA3. I assume this should be installed instead of similar AI enhancement mods such as ASR_AI (not as well as)? Have there been any empirical tests that show relative impact on server FPS between say mods like GL4 & ASR? And what are the key differences - there seem quite a few bits in common and a lot of bits that are different. I've tended to stick to what I know but would be interested in trying something different in the quest for an MP compatible, server friendly AI enhancement mod.

Nice to see this coming to ArmA3. I assume this should be installed instead of similar AI enhancement mods such as ASR_AI (not as well as)? Have there been any empirical tests that show relative impact on server FPS between say mods like GL4 & ASR? And what are the key differences - there seem quite a few bits in common and a lot of bits that are different. I've tended to stick to what I know but would be interested in trying something different in the quest for an MP compatible, server friendly AI enhancement mod.

As the code base is the same as GL4, predictions of mod compatibility, performance, etc should be semi-valid as they were in A2 although it would be dependent upon ASR, etc changes since A2 to A3.

A great source of information on the matter can be old threads on the topic, I have received feedback that ASR-AI and GL5 works as nicely as it did in GL4. However, I do not claim GL5 as of v1.0 is yet production ready, more as a release to get community feedback, attract devs and to squash bugs before feature enhancements take place.

On another topic unrelated:

GL5 is completely open, anyone can contribute to the codebase and are welcome to fork the repo. I wouldn't like if there were 200 some odd releases under different names to confuse the community however if I get hit by a bus tomorrow GL5 shouldn't die. The goal here is to allow anyone work on GL5 and *hopefully* push to the repo for everyone to enjoy under one banner/release and if someone is really irate with the way things are going (it happens unfortunately) they are free to fork the repo and do it their own way.

Why Bitbucket and not Github?

Recent news leads me to believe that the employees at Github are sexist in which I do not support, I also have used Atlassian products professionally in the past. Bitbucket is not feature rich as Confluence/Jira by any means but it gets the job done for the hobbyist scope of this project.

Edited by zorrobyte

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks for this zorrobtye, the more AI mods out there the better!

Does this mod work in part by altering the danger fsm? I ask because I am wondering about the exact extent to which it might conflict with bCombat/ASR.

yeah what does this version do to the AI as the GL4 was amazing!! also had a better description ;)

As GL5 is a port of GL4, old knowledge of features are applicable

I would recommend reading the GL4 Features and Readme at:

https://bitbucket.org/zorrobyte/group-link-5-core/wiki/Home

HC and FX features have since been removed and may be split into their own projects, simply skip mention each in the readme/features. I will agree that bCombat/ASR in A3 have yet to be tested with GL5.

Perfection is a roadblock to progress, I'd rather release now then wait around for a polished production ready project as so the community may direct my dev efforts, I however do greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thats basically what I did. But it got me a lot of negative's. It also got me good feed back. I guess you got to take the good with the bad. ehh. I'll give this a test with AISS2 in next few days and let you know what I see.

I was a big fan of GL3&4 and like many others I have used GL4 in A3, when in the Alpha and early Beta stages (for my own use). I don’t use it now in the game, but until relatively recently still regarded it and its former guises as the only mod’s to turn too, for great AI behaviour, head and shoulders above any other publically available AI mod on here, just my opinion.

I used it in a mix of mod’s (pbo’s) for A2 and found it unbeatable for its game changing abilities, always has been, GL3 before it did the same (I didn’t use GL2 or the first one).

Now what is concerning me is the EULA this (GL4) was released under, also a line on ‘pg 10’ of the readme of GL4, not worth repeating as it obviously means little to anyone, although it should mean a lot.

I do note that Dwarden thinks this is fine to release, having opened, re-used and re-worked the content. Although I doubt much has been done to change it from the original, hard to better something so great, when using the same sort of format.

It just strikes me as a shame for a forum that is quick to jump on any other users, if they are found to have opened a mod i.e. de-pbo, alter then release it publically. The fact that this has been allowed, can only lead one on to assume the ‘Steam thing’, last year, was a flash in the pan, your mod makers rights are not observed here anyway, why worry about Steam.

Possibly why some mod’s will likely never see the light of day for players i.e. stay limited to players/groups that have made them, which is a big disappointment, why release, when they are easily opened up copied and passed on without any user agreement being actively enforced, anything happens from there, its been seen with problems concerning dayz etc.

Its good that you use GL4 zorobyte, but it’s a shame your allowed to release a slightly altered form of it, having not received any permission from the important person/people i.e. the original maker. Whether that be available or not, does not matter, GL3&4 were released initially under a EULA, I would have thought, plus it states in the ‘readme’ that permission has to be sought from the maker before any use of scripts etc.

Also it states its for Armed Assault 2, may never have been meant to go any further than that.

Dwarden agreeing, does not surprise me, as a mouthpiece for BI, he knows full well, they need mod’s like this to help support, what is, terrible stock AI. If it wasn’t for mod’s of this calibre (GL4), the series would be very different for many players, in-fact it would probably be un-playable.

So seeing this released alleviates some tension for those players wanting great AI, therefore reduces BI commitment to stock AI progression. Now we all know they can’t fix stock AI any further than it is now, lets not pretend here. But to rely on, and bend the rules in favour of a mod that helps the game so much, also changes the game to such an extent that it increases its appeal, which the developers know, then try and portray the façade that EULA and makers content is safe here, is well.. a joke…

Maybe Dwarden is snkman or one of the prior makers, perhaps he can formerly give that permission here, if not, then its not his to give..

I admire that you asked, but you haven’t had the proper answer yet.

Don’t get me wrong, so many AI mods on here use ripped parts from GL4, its very easy to see. At least you did the right thing, you asked, just should have waited for the proper permission.

I didn’t know snkman, but I do know he refused use of GL4 in the past, noted on this forum somewhere a long time back, things may have changed, but its for him to say. I see also Armaholic front paged it, short memories are in abundance, here and over there on AH…..

Hope it doesn’t force talented mod makers underground, it has already started to do that for this series, this will only harden that view.

Sorry, just the way I see it. I wish you would have waited for that permission, from the only one able to give it, that or at least had a forum debate regards EULA’s, makers content etc. It would have been very interesting to hear content makers views regards this matter. I don't make content, only missions, so I don't really have any say, but I repect those that make great original content, plus those that ask when they want to progress that content on and are given that permission from the right person.

Its kinda sad, because I see other things not getting released fully, partly because of things like this. Dwarden took it on himself to allow it, he must be snkman, only answer I can think of.. All that 'we'll protect your content' must have been rubbish, otherwise..

Good points Chris... I would argue that since Group Link has been 'carried forward' since OPF (by a different author each time until snkman with GL3/4) the intention is to continue this trend

:jump_clap: wow! first DAC and now this. finally someone slaps the AI again to make them aware there are enterable houses.

any chance this will work well alongside DAC again?:pray:

I appreciate all forms of feedback. If SNKMAN were to come back or respond in any way as to GL5, I would happily remove the repo and any releases. What I have done however is attempt contacting him vis BIS forums, email, youtube channel, etc since A3 Alpha. I spent hours scouring the internet for any current contact information or activity and it's not only me; many others have as well.

This is how I view Arma and video game modding in general, my viewpoints are mine alone and anyone is free to assume their own viewpoint and disagree. However, I do not condone flamewar type bashing, threats, etc as such is just simply immature and childish. I'm NOT perfect and DO NOT claim to be:

Arma is a hobby, a video game. I started playing A2 and have since dove head first into development. It has provided me with real world QA and Dev skills that I have taken into professional positions. It opened me up to a fun way to learn computer science and how to think pragmatically about the world around me. I like to think that other authors/developers are interested in dev work for Arma not only for personal growth but also to build something others may enjoy, that they welcome others to improve themselves and their skillsets by allowing them to see how your project works. At the end of the day, what is your actual goal? To build something that people enjoy or is it something else, to make yourself look good, to be accepted by a community and looked up to?

I take no credit as to GL5 as a whole. It's a port, any work I have done personally is free for the world to see and criticize on my repo, anyone can contribute.

I ported GL in good faith with good intentions. I believe in open source and self improvement, helping giving the tools for others to improve themselves; others may not and you are free to feel so. Group Link has been passed around between Arma iterations, someone has carried the torch. I would think that SNKMAN wouldn't want to see the countless hours he put into GL die; and if he does, he may contact me - I'll remove all repo, releases and I would expect others who forked GL do so as well.

As for the "law" of copyright, I disagree in some parts as to it stifles innovation and keeps the poor people away from the rich people's stuff, I refuse to further expand on my opinions of capitalism here however, such is out of scope. Knowledge should be free.

Basically; If you DO something and USE YOUR own personal skillset for a project with intention of PROFITING from it, hell yes; sue anyone who rips you off. If you create something that by license cannot be sold in any way to begin with and you are doing for other's enjoyment, as a hobby; you may want to think about being more open with your work. Not only does it open you up to further self improvement and enjoyment, but it allows others to enjoy tweaking just as much as you enjoyed developing it in the first place.

Any work I do as a hobby with no intention of profiting from has always and will be released open source, period. If Creative Commons changes and starts sucking, I'll start releasing under WTFPL. I encourage others to be more open with their work, but of course they may do as they wish and I will respect their decisions.

Like I said, I'm not perfect and don't claim to be. Legally I'm just as able to rerelease GL4 as SNKMAN is to send me a sophena. I hope that he/she could understand I'm acting in good faith and wouldn't take such a drastic measure but I alone accept responsibility either way for my actions. Could we move on now?

Edited by zorrobyte

Excellent! Thanks very much, will test asap.

A video showing off the A.I on your Youtube channel wouldn't go astray Zorrrobyte :)

I never played with this mod before. Are buildings on fire if you use tanks against them? I saw a video and a house caught fire when someone hit it with tank sabots.