Sign in to follow this  
kabong

SUVs are STUPID fragile

I agree on the exploding cars point. As for the tyres, I believe that's more of an engine limitation.

Whatever the so-called real world specs might be, can't we just have a more forgiving/less frustrating object collision damage model on vehicles? It is, after all, still just a game intended to provide ENTERTAINMENT. If BIS are really that serious about (trying to) model real world behavior, there's a ton of other stuff that should get this treatment before vehicle object collision under relatively normal (i.e. typical offroad) driving conditions. <gives head a BIG shake>

---------- Post added at 05:56 ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 ----------

As for the tyres, I believe that's more of an engine limitation.

If I remember correctly, I believe Arma 2 OA did model flat tires (I think the affected tire just sank into the ground) and the player had the ability to repair them. Since Arma 3 is an evolution of the Arma 2 OA engine, why wasn't the feature carried forward?

The main problem is, and always be the current hit point system. Damage is comulative. If you go with a car face front against a tree you'll lose tyres.

Boo-hoo. learn to drive.

So as a simracer myself i´m curious now to see how you can drive.

Also, learn to drive? We are talking about collision physics, not driver abilities although i´m more then happy to see how qualified you are in the driving department.

-

Not only does tires disappear, they also launch the glorious texture of having your car filled with bullet holes even though nobody has fired a single shot.

Canned textures ultra extraordinaire.

On top of that there´s really no damage model to speak of in this game.

Edited by RushHour

Too often i´ve seen guys drive into wooden fences (the real flimsy ones) with a UAZ, shrugging it off on TS as accident, when suddenly the whole frickin car bursts into flames killing all passengers - its such an ridicoulous fun/immersion-killer you cannot deny it!

So as a simracer myself i´m curious now to see how you can drive.

Also, learn to drive? We are talking about collision physics, not driver abilities although i´m more then happy to see how qualified you are in the driving department.

Race07 lets go! :bounce3:

Race07 lets go! :bounce3:

If this was 7 years ago i´d say yes :) Frankly Simbin died after GTR2, then they turned soft.

If this was 7 years ago i´d say yes :) Frankly Simbin died after GTR2, then they turned soft.

My 214 hrs record on steam says otherwise about 07, but you´re right with simbin, the poor GTR3 will never see light of day because of those sellouts....

And to get this back ontopic quickly: The damage system in Race07 is quite believable imho. When i bump my tyres with crazy speed against a wall, they fall off. But never have i encountered the moments when you just go "oh you´ve got to be kidding me, that cannot have happened from that!"

It´s also got deformable bodys - after hitting something, it´ll leace some nice dents in your cars. And the game is from 2007 :o

Yea damage model is ok in Race 07. But the problem wtih official licensing is that the manufacturer decides how good your damage model is. but for Arma i´d happily take that damage model.

If only Arma would take this approach to simulation..

About 14 minutes in for the truly technical stuff.

They have a racing professional for QA/programming? Holy cow, good for them!

I wouldn´t expect that level of fidelity in ArmA though, its a little too far stretched.

Don´t get me wrong, theres still "that dream-game" where every aspect of Sea/Air/Land in ArmA would be it´s own full on realism sim.

All ArmA needs is some more sense.

Only few of us might have shot a rifle in their lifes, but all of us might agree that arma handles rifles pretty well.

That sort of stuff needs to be done to the other aspects :)

Don´t get me wrong, theres still "that dream-game" where every aspect of Sea/Air/Land in ArmA would be it´s own full on realism sim.

I literally have this idea in my head every single day. If anyone reading this contemplating the same issue i can only say "DO IT".

Zeus is done. Can the devs PLEASE now look at this issue?

Today they posted changes to the fixed wing flight model in the development build, but still no love for vehicle collision damage modeling. <sigh>

Feedback tracker report added - see 0019283 for anyone who still cares about this issue.

Would have done something sooner but have been disabled for a few months with half my left hand paralyzed due to a nerve issue (could not play game or type very well). I have had surgery to correct and can finally play again. I hope the Feedback report helps to solve the issue.

Edited by KaBoNG
my awful grammar :P

People - could we please vote this issue up so it gets the developer's attention? Link to Feedback tracker report in post #37 above.

From the 28-07-2014 Change Log (game EXE rev. 126163):

"Fixed: Adjusted durability of rear glass of SUV"

What about the durability of the rest of the SUV? If they can tweak the durability of the rear glass, why can't they tweak the durability of the tires and body?

Vote! 0019283

I literally have this idea in my head every single day. If anyone reading this contemplating the same issue i can only say "DO IT".

Haha, that is a good dream, but the problem is that it would require more money than any game ever made, and would never recover even a fraction of it's costs. Maybe if Bill Gates bankrolls it.

What about the durability of the rest of the SUV? If they can tweak the durability of the rear glass, why can't they tweak the durability of the tires and body?

Priorities, Priorities my friend. fixing the rear glass is much more important than fixing the damn tires that breaks just by looking at them :)

From the 09-09-2014 Dev branch change log (game EXE rev.127101):

Changed: SUV survivability should be in par with Hatchbacks

What does this mean? Are SUVs now even MORE fragile?!

Vote! 0019283

My thoughts exactly. Lol, i was like... SUV... Hatchback... But now that i think about it, what is the Definition of SUV? We need more Civilian Vehicles that can actually stand up to something, i mean Altis is the land of it's people, so surely, it's people would have vehicles that work best on it's land... one would think.

Was playing a terrorism mission on section 31. Only had use of the armed 4x4. If I had not of picked an engineer we would have never finished one of the missions. Had to fix my own one 4 times. And go back severall times to fix other peoples tires.

There is no going off-road in these vehicle's..

What needs to happen is a "Rugged Terrain" Reinforcement for the Civilian faction. We need Jeeps, "Real" Offroads, and durable Range Rover type vehicles, of course, with your 2035 vehicle looks. The SUV and Offroad and Hatchback's are ok as your typical cars for roads, as they look to be designed that way.

I have yet to wreck a tank/MRAP in game by driving into stuff. As for civilian vehicles, try driving your car into something (don't), and you'll see how fragile civilian cars really are. I haven't crash a car in real life, but I have witnessed two vehicle accident and saw the immediate aftermath of another one. Two of the more minor ones are not crashing at "high" speed, around 20~30 km/h at most. One is a rear-end at a narrow backstreet, the other is foreign a driver driving on the wrong lane and thought he was right, braking a bit too late. The result is not too pretty, for the car. One of them had a wheel misaligned and needs to be towed away.

What do you expect, though? Civilian cars are not built to be indestructable. Cars may have to go though "crash test" before hitting the market (puns intended), but what needs to be surviving is not the car, but the dummy inside.

---------------------

Incidentally, geometry of the crash also matters, remember the crash I mensioned earlier with a misaligned wheel? One of the accident I witnessed is a major one, a head-on collision between a car and a truck on a 70 km/h road, one of them driving on the wrong lane. They are rather unfortunate in that the road is kind of a "fly-under" with a bend, and it is a one-way road. Both did not expect opposite traffic, and both would not have seen each other far enough ahead either way. Only a very brief screech is heard, and both vehicles are in bad very bad shape. While the occupants were sent to a hospital, the injuries were not life-threatening and both survived