Sign in to follow this  
kabong

SUVs are STUPID fragile

I put Arma 3 away for a while earlier in development because of poor performance on my rig. Thankfully it seems to be performing better now that the code has matured more and been better optimized (thank you BIS - see, this thread isn't ALL bad).

However, I am now working on the Adapt episode and just finished the Supply Network mission, which was maddeningly difficult because the SUV is so ridiculously fragile. Bump into a fence and a wheel is blown (and unlike Arma 2, it appears the player cannot make a temporary repair). Bump into a tree and the SUV is essentially destroyed. I had to restart the mission several times in order to finish because of this stupid flaw.

The SUVs in Arma 2 were never this fragile and, after all, they are OFFROAD vehicles - they ought to be able to take a beating and keep running.

C'mon BIS, what's up with this nonsense?

Using development build 116348.

It's not only SUVs. Almost every civilian vehicle in Arma 3 tend to receive severe damage even from slightest collision with a small obstacle. That fragility combined with hidden compartment loaded with High Explosive Nothing is extremely annoying because you should be very careful if you want your Civilian Truck to make it to the other side of the tiny field. Each small stone wall can blow truck's wheels or damage the fuel tank and therefore cause the truck to explode like HEAT round after ten seconds or so.

Don't even get me started on the Hunter MRAP...I swerve when I see a rabbit to avoid blowing up, flying off a cliff, and being incinerated.

Heck, have you ever hit one of those little low stone walls in a tank?

I’ve knocked a track off several times, driving down a road or through a field and clipping one of those. I even had a metal fence post damage my APC when I was going down the side of a hill.

Aside from fixing the damage system, I’m not sure if I’d rather keep it like it is or just make it where little junk like that does no damage at all. ….For all vehicles.

MRAPs? Tanks? OMG - what is BIS thinking? In RL, these are intended to be DURABLE vehicles specifically intended for use in rough terrain. If this is the case, then Arma 3 is still seriously broken.

Like I did when I shelved it first time due to poor performance, this one is going back on the shelf again.

What a waste of money. BIS - you can be assured I will not spend a DIME on future DLC for Arma 3 if this is the best you can do on a supposedly "completed" game (now that Win has been released). <shakes head>

Thank God I still have Arma 2 installed.

MRAPs? Tanks? OMG - what is BIS thinking? In RL, these are intended to be DURABLE vehicles specifically intended for use in rough terrain. If this is the case, then Arma 3 is still seriously broken.

Like I did when I shelved it first time due to poor performance, this one is going back on the shelf again.

What a waste of money. BIS - you can be assured I will not spend a DIME on future DLC for Arma 3 if this is the best you can do on a supposedly "completed" game (now that Win has been released). <shakes head>

Yes, Arma 2, where vehicles magically decelerate to 20km/h instantly when you go the slightest bit onto the shoulder of the road. :rolleyes:

Yes, Arma 2, where vehicles magically decelerate to 20km/h instantly when you go the slightest bit onto the shoulder of the road. :rolleyes:

I would take that over having them break on the slightest bump - at least they remain useable (even if slow).

I'm sorry, but as modder and gamer.I will have to say.

Just calling a game crap and saying how "You'll never send money on it again" just because the vehicles don't preform like real life, is stupid in my eyes.

And guess what, BIS is HUMAN. They make mistakes, I'm pretty sure almost every Video Game company has made at least one bad or incomplete product. At least one.

Just because BIS is one of the few companies to make an actual military simulator for commercial use, does not mean that they will not make mistakes.

I know ARMA 3 is getting flak and such, but I doubt, even through I don't keep up with video game news,that ARMA 2 didn't get the same initial reception, or ARMA:Armed Assault.I'm pretty sure they got crapped on at first.

Arma 2 has the same issue, it's likely even worse there.

I don't know about the heavy armors, I've never been able to wreck them by driving them into stuff, houses, walls, anything, of course if that happens it's bad and needs a fix.

And regarding the SUV, why should a normal passenger car withstand hitting a tree or driving thru a rebar- or a wire fence?

I can understand hitting a tree head on.... But why should a car stop working everytime after hitting a fence or fence post that is already falling down? I have yet to walk or drive through a field and find an intact and completely fenced in area.

Because of this it's safe to say that those fences probably haven't been maintained in a while....If sections are already missing/fallen down, that usually means you'd have little problems knocking down the parts that are still standing with ease.

Lets face it the damage system needs to be reworked all the way around. If you can kill the occupants of an MRAP by shooting out the tires and instantly making the bulletproof windows not longer bullet proof...that's a problem.

I can understand hitting a tree head on.... But why should a car stop working everytime after hitting a fence or fence post that is already falling down? I have yet to walk or drive through a field and find an intact and completely fenced in area.

Because of this it's safe to say that those fences probably haven't been maintained in a while....If sections are already missing/fallen down, that usually means you'd have little problems knocking down the parts that are still standing with ease.

Ramming them full speed is, and should be hazardous and be avoided if possible, you can gently push them down at low speeds (<20km/h) without or with very little damage your car.

One thing I would like changed tho, when hitting a wire fence head on, I'd rather have the engine and hull take damage, not the tires.

And relating to that, one, or even two missing tires shouldn't basically render a 4WD car useless, even 2WD ones should be able to limp without a tire IMO.

Lets face it the damage system needs to be reworked all the way around. If you can kill the occupants of an MRAP by shooting out the tires and instantly making the bulletproof windows not longer bullet proof...that's a problem.

I agree, but that's a different story don't you think?

edit:

Forgot to mention, bonchie is absolutely right, cars should not explode, especially not with such lethal force as they currently do.

Edited by CaptainObvious

I failed the "End Game" mission three times because the car I was driving exploded from bumping into various objects, killing all of us.

I didn't even mind so much that the car was disabled, but cars should pretty much never blow up, much less from hitting an obstacle.

I don't know if this is present in ARMA3, but in ARMA2 a couple months ago I saw a baddie driving off in an offroad truck. I unloaded about five or eight rounds from my 7.62mm rifle into the back and lo and behold the entire thing bursts into flames, careens off the road, and explodes in the most epic fireball ever. Seriously BI...

I don't know about the heavy armors, I've never been able to wreck them by driving them into stuff, houses, walls, anything, of course if that happens it's bad and needs a fix.

And regarding the SUV, why should a normal passenger car withstand hitting a tree or driving thru a rebar- or a wire fence?

Quite ironic name for the question posed.

Wire Fence- So the occupants dont die

Tree- So the Occupants Dont Die

Rebar- So the occupants dont die

As the vehicles in A3 are depicted as being futuristic, they should ALL have a sturdy design designed to improve occupant survival in a crash, especially against something as thin as a chain link fence.

Quite ironic name for the question posed.

Wire Fence- So the occupants dont die

Tree- So the Occupants Dont Die

Rebar- So the occupants dont die

As the vehicles in A3 are depicted as being futuristic, they should ALL have a sturdy design designed to improve occupant survival in a crash, especially against something as thin as a chain link fence.

As I also said, cars shouldn't explode.

maybe someone could make an addon for the suv to become more stable

Maybe BIS could just fix the game. :P

and @Cpkeyes: If we don't vote with our pocket book, nothing will ever get done. Money talks. ;)

Have any of you ever actually run over a star-picket wire fence pole in a car before?

I have, while bush-bashing, and it was not pretty.

These are civilian SUVs that look more like luxury spec models than any sought of off-road vehicle. To expect it to hold up when tearing around the dirt country side is pretty darn naive. Damaging car suspension/drivetrain components is very very easy to do in real life.

Well it depends on the fences we’re talking about…

It’s a little hard to tell and I’m at work so I can’t get on but the fences in the fields look to me a lot like Metal T Post and Woven wire fence. https://www.noble.org/global/ag/livestock/fences/woven.jpg They’re only about 3 to 4 feet high and are rather flimsy considering the post are only a foot or so in and have no concrete support.

Now in regard to them being nasty… Will they cause cosmetic damage to your car/truck? Absolutely!

Enough to cause gouging or tearing of plastic bumpers and fenders? YEP…but they normally won’t disable a truck or car unless you hit about 12 of them going 50 miles an hour each.

There are always exceptions but normally if you hit one with your headlight and tire near the post it’s just going to lay over allowing you to drive right on through. Even at higher speeds it probably won’t smash your car in enough to puncture your radiator or damage your engine.

It certainly shouldn’t be able to disable the military trucks as easily as it does. (HEMMT, Zamak, Tempest, or MRAPs.) The steel bumpers on those things alone are usually over 300 pounds.

I wonder if they just got the values mixed up… I’ve bumped the whitish cream colored Adobe or Concrete walls around the houses and had them fall right over with little to no damage even at higher speeds. Heck if you shoot someone and they fall on one it will fall over.

Have any of you ever actually run over a star-picket wire fence pole in a car before?

These are civilian SUVs that look more like luxury spec models than any sought of off-road vehicle. To expect it to hold up when tearing around the dirt country side is pretty darn naive. Damaging car suspension/drivetrain components is very very easy to do in real life.

Yep. The OP could drive slower and avoid obstacles for better results.

And making it explode is very very hard.

I have, and the fence loses every single time.

No it´s not naive, it´s a SUV which goes through the most stringest crash tests there is in existence before it´s allowed to be sold. Having a tire magically disappear and then the car blow up like crazy is nothing but BS and has no relation to the real world.

The fences are wooden sticks with about 1,5m of fence stuck on it. Usually not even connected to the rest of the fences. It´s gonna lose every single time.

Boo-hoo. learn to drive.

I rechecked suv just to make sure --normal speeds give normal results.

Even so why do tires disappear completely? It's incredibly illogical, tires should go flat but not disappear unless they get hit by some extremely large round with explosives.