Sign in to follow this  
meatball

[COOP|02-10] Altis On Fire Campaign

[Excerpt from the Front Page of the Stratis Times - 2035-07-20]

Altis is on Fire!

aof_header.jpg

(AAP - Agia Marina - 2035-07-20) Altis is on fire, and only time will tell whether it will arise from the ashes, or be burnt beyond recognition. As two titanic forces wage battle across the island of Altis and remnants of AAF troops retreat from Altis to remaining strongholds on Stratis, we look back on the disinformation, deception and catastrophes that have led us into the disastrous state of current affairs.

Investigations by this paper have turned up covert correspondence from late December of last year between high ranking Altian and CSAT officials looking for assistance in "expanding Altian nuclear enrichment programs beyond current techniques and technologies". While not specifically spelled out, one can infer the only logical goal of expanding current program used for peaceful nuclear technology would be the development of a nuclear weapon program. If this is truly their goal, it would be in blatant violation of the NNPT (Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty) Altis was a signatory of in 2024. To add further proof to this course of events, CSAT scientific and military personnel was observed in and about various military and government installations throughout February of this year, and they became a common sight in those areas the following months. Our inquiries through official channels as to the role of those CSAT personnel were simply stonewalled until rumors began to break publicly that Altis officials were pursuing a program of weaponizing nuclear material. International condemnation and outrage rained on our government and people as the information became public knowledge.

As we all know, on June 24th CSAT forces began a full scale assault and invasion of Altis and within two days, fighting was raging between CSAT and AAF troops that had previously been performing 'military exercises' together. Not having the manpower or material of the CSAT units, the AAF troops were quickly overwhelmed, destroyed and pushed from the island. While NATO quickly condemned these actions, CSAT simply ramped up the build up of troops while the diplomats argued and soon occupied most of Altis.

Reports of a build up of NATO and allied troops in the region as a 'precautionary measure' was already under way when exiled Altian officials presented their case to NATO officials to obtain support in forcing the CSAT occupiers from our homeland using any means necessary. We all believed that the NATO build up was simply posturing, but a full scale invasion of Altis by NATO forces commenced on last week. Neither side appears to have gained an upper hand in the fighting as it rages across all of Altis and the CSAT and NATO forces continue to pound each other. Recent activity at installments where remaining AAF forces have gathered on the island, appear to reinforce the rumors that our homeland troops are beginning to make incursions back onto the island.

We cannot know whether Altis will be restored or destroyed, we can only pray for our soldiers and civilians caught between the NATO and CSAT onslaught.

"Altis on Fire" is a 3 mission campaign I've developed for the Make Arma Not War Multiplayer Game Mode Contest. The three episodes follow the events that occur in June and July of 2035 when Altis' attempt to covertly research the technology to develop nuclear weapons leaks to the world. CSAT and NATO forces quickly become entangled in a quagmire on Altis where there is nowhere to hide.

In Episode 1 - "Fallout", you take on the role of CSAT forces attempting to destroy evidence of their involvement in the nuclear research program when rumors of the Altian research and development comes to light.

aof_e1_fallout.jpg

Episode 2 - "Force Recon" follows NATO troops spearheading an invasion to kick the CSAT occupiers off the island at the request of exiled Altian officials.

aof_e2_forcerecon.jpg

Finally in Episode 3 - "Rock and a Hard Place" we take on the role of the remnants of the shattered AAF troops attempting to obtain and extract the remaining weaponized nuclear material from Altis while the NATO and CSAT troops wage war around them.

aof_e3_rahp.jpg

Want to know the real scoop of what happened? Check out the spoiler below:

2034-12-19 - Altis military and governmental leadership decide they want a nuclear weapons program to augment their growing military forces. Through covert channels, CSAT officials are approached to ask for assistance standing up and devloping the program.

2035-01-23 - After a month of deliberating, CSAT agrees to assist with the caveat that CSAT military and scientific personnel can be stationed on the island to oversee the process throughout.

2035-01-23 - Altian government and military officials agree to CSAT demand and operational details begin to be worked through.

2035-02-04 - First CSAT personnel arrives on Altis. Both military and scientific 'advisors' arrive at military installations and additional personnel arrives as the program starts to build upon current Altian nuclear technology.

2035-03-29 - A secret,'Weapons Grade' enrichment facility is completed outside of Kore, and true enrichment activities begin.

2035-04-19 - Secondary enrichment facility near Pyrgos comes online.

2035-05-03 - NATO 'Climate Monitoring' satellite detects traces of radioactive enrichment activity on Altis, top NATO members are informed and covert investigations begin.

2035-05-29 - Key and secondary NATO nations briefed on possible Altian nuclear program.

2035-06-07 - Information released during the NATO briefings leak publicly and CSAT officials scramble to determine if their involvement has been discovered.

2035-06-13 - CSAT publicly offers 'assistance' to NATO to investigate the claims of violation of the NNPT. They just so happen to have a task force in the region.

2035-06-16 - NATO declines offer of assistance, claiming that regional NATO diplomats can handle the issue and military involvement is not warranted at this time.

2035-06-18 - CSAT begins recall scientific personnel working on the project from Altis.

2035-06-24 - (Episode 1 - Fallout) In conjunction with the military personnel still on the ground, CSAT special forces infiltrate the island and begin to systematically dismantling the enrichment facilities and destroying any evidence of CSAT involvement.

2035-06-25 - Tensions escalate and small scale skirmishes begin to occur across the island between AAF and CSAT troops as AAF troops are told to defend any material and personnel related with the program. AAF personnel ordered to begin to take key research and material from the program and hide them in hidden caches across the island.

2035-06-26 - Skirmishes escalate into full scale fighting, but as neither side wishes the program or their involvement to be discovered, a full scale black out of communications from the island is imposed. With reports of AAF personnel removing and hiding the material weaponized to this point, CSAT quickly mobilizes remaining forces in the region and pours them into Altis.

2035-06-27 - Civilians take to the seas in any seaworthy vessel they can find to escape the fighting and word of the conflict reaches the outside world. NATO condemns CSAT actions and CSAT claims it moved in response to 'credible evidence' of NATO involvement in the alleged Altian nuclear program.

2035-06-29 - NATO forces in the region go on alert status when spy plane and satellite overflights verify the fighting. Key NATO nations begin mobilizing additional assets to converge on bases in the region.

2035-07-02 - CSAT forces subdue the bulk of the AAF units, pushing the rest off the island or forcing them to surrender. More CSAT troops are brought in to scouring the region for further evidence/nuclear material amid growing international condemnation.

2035-07-07 - Altian government officials in exile plead with NATO to help them wrest control of their island back from CSAT. CSAT troops occupy most of the island, but resistance cells start cropping up as civilians start hit and run tactics on the occupiers.

2035-07-11 - CSAT still not able to account for all the research and enriched nuclear material evidence of their involvement with the program.

2035-07-13 - NATO delivers an ultimatum to CSAT that all CSAT personnel must be off the island and control handed back over to the proper Altian government by July 15.

2035-07-14 - (Episode 2 - Force Recon) CSAT still has not responded, and NATO elite forces drop and insert onto the island in multiple locations to cause chaos and confusion amongst the occupying forces prior to a full scale invasion.

2035-07-15 - NATO forces invade the island and initial successes allow them to gain a foothold.

2035-07-17 - Conventional NATO and CSAT forces continue to slug it out across the entirety of the island. GPS no longer functions for either side when both sides jam the GPS signal frequencies across most of the island.

2035-07-18 - (Episode 3 - Rock and a Hard Place) Remnants of the AAF military still in hiding in the hills and in contact with the government in exile attempt to use the chaos as a screen to extract the last remaining evidence and nuclear material from the island. The convoy carrying the material is attacked and contact with them is lost. Elements of AAF off island are mobilized and dropped in to retrieve and escape with the material.

Features and General Notes:

- AoF missions can be played with 2-10 players, and have multiple parameters available from the role selection screen to adjust game settings including numbers if AI, AI skill level, weather, time of day, and many other options.

- Each mission is unique and has a style all it's own while AI is randomized every time leading to vastly different gameplay from session to session!

- All three AoF missions contain a lot of AI. It is highly suggested you play the mission on a dedicated server with a Headless Client if at all possible. Headless Client support is built directly into all three missions.

- For Best Gameplay, the missions should be played with all map markers turned off and at the "Veteran" or "Expert" difficulty level.

- The missions really shine when the "ACRE" radio mod is used, but it is not a requirement and the missions can be played and enjoyed without it as well.

- Mission specific gameplay information is listed in the "Gameplay Notes" of each mission briefing.

Installation:

- Download the Missions from Steam Workshop or extract the .pbo file(s) to your Steam/SteamApps/common/ArmA 3/MPMissions folder.

Changelog:

v 1.05

- Episode 1: Added in a "Unit Scatter Distance" parameter to allow players to set initial unit scatter distance from 1 to 10 KM, default is 2.5KM

- Episodes 1-3: Minor tweaks to AI settings.

- Epilogue: Added in a new 'Epilogue' mission. The mission is very Alpha and still has some bugs in it, but I would love to get some feedback on where it stands so far. Don't have it published on Steam Workshop yet, but you can download direct from here.

v 1.04

- Episode 1: Redesign of the 'drop' mechanism to create better randomization of drops.

- Episode 2: Bug fix for the Kavala "Destroy Bridges" task. Now changed to "Mine Bridges". Must mine the 4 bridges with 3-4 mines each to complete task.

- Episode 2: Added in a few basic crates at step off points to give the players some extra starting gear.

- Episode 3: Minor tweaks to the AI levels.

v 1.03

- Various minor bug fixes and tweaks across all three missions.

v 1.01 & 1.02

- Internal testing versions.

v 1.0

- Zeus is now integrated into all three missions! The missions will still work fine without someone filling the role of Zeus, but it's now supported for those that want to use it.

- The Virtual AmmoBox (VAS) has been removed the Force Recon mission due to popular request.

- Minor tweaks to AI and some small bugfixes.

v 0.99

- First Public Release. Why 0.99 you ask? Well, I've done tons of playtesting, and while I'm pretty sure all the missions are ready for release, I'm sure you guys will find issues! Please report any you find!

Credits & Thanks:

- Thanks to all those supported my own mission making efforts through the forums, Skype channels and various other avenues as well as the community contributors and great scripts that were used in Altis on Fire:

- AI Spawn Script Pack by spunFin

- Civilian Vehicle Spawn by Zealot

- Enemy Occupation System (EoS) by BangaBob

- MAD Ambient Life by MAD T

- Headless Client AutoDetect Script by elec

- Repetitive Cleanup Script by Aeroson

- SLP Spawning Script by Nomadd

- Taskmaster/moveObjects/Random Position Scripts by Shuko

- Also, lot's of direct coding help and support from NeoArmageddon & spunFin

- Also special thanks to a great batch of playtesters that helped motivate me along the way to make bigger and better missions, all while having a blast playing:

- Dodgy Moustache

- Harrier

- La Gran We

- Mr_H

- Ninja Monkey

- Partizan

- Shifty

- Smitty

- WaZza

- Zim

Edited by Meatball

Sounds great! Are you going to test it for play on dedicated servers?

I have some recommendations:

Lose VAS, it's an immersion killer, and it seems like your missions are heavy on atmosphere, it would be a shame to ruin it.

Don't provide too many parameters, it makes the player feel like they need to make some mission editing in their own. YOU, as the designer, should know which setting will be best for the mission. Too much customisation is bad, keep it tight! :)

I recommend psycho's revive script. It's the most realistic as far as I know.

Good luck, will be installed on the Comrades in Arms server.

VAS is only available in one mission, Force Recon, and I put it in because the players can go after 60+ objectives, so the least I could do is give them what gear they want. That being said, it is locked down to only supply the side specific weapons, and there's a parameter to disable it completely if you'd rather run without it. Though I can easily pull it out if folks really think it ruins the mission.

I've tried to keep the params down to a minimum, with a few extra ones thrown in here and there to allow the players to mix things up (like removing all NVG's in Rock and a Hard Place). I've also tested Psycho's script, and it is great, but I've used BTC for a while now and a lot of the missions have hooks I've put right into BTC revive to kick off other scripts and such, so at this point I'm going to stick with it.

Keep the ideas coming though, and appreciate you giving it a shot!

So, the mission pack has been out for about a week and I was wondering if anyone has run into any major bugs/issues with them yet? I may make some tweaks / change some scripts up in the near future, but I've got nothing major planned unless I hear about some serious issues.

I'm working up a new version and hoping to add in Zeus support for anyone that wants to add a little extra to their missions. Has anyone found any other issues or problems that I should fix in the next version?

New Version Update!

Changelog:

v 1.0

- Zeus is now integrated into all three missions! The missions will still work fine without someone filling the role of Zeus, but it's now supported for those that want to use it.

- The Virtual AmmoBox (VAS) has been removed the Force Recon mission due to popular request.

- Minor tweaks to AI and some small bugfixes.

Latest Version Downloads:

Make Arma, Not War Contest Entry Page

Armaholic Link

Edited by Meatball

I noticed a small glitch with the missions when downloaded through Steam Workshop. If you subscribe to the mission and then launch the mission from the "Scenarios" menu, it appears that the game tries to launch the game as a Single Player mission and shoves AI into all the other player slots, which can cause some problems.

The AoF missions are designed to be played COOP/Multiplayer with 2-10 players. Regardless of whether you downloaded the pbo's or subscribed through Steam Workshop, you should always launch the missions through the Multiplayer Menu and set them up that way.

I see a lot of people are downloading through both Armaholic and Steam Workshop, would love to hear about what you guys have been able to do with the missions or even some gameplay vids if you're enjoying them!

Edited by Meatball

To kick up some excitement about my

Altis on Fire entry, I've decided to run a simple little contest, and the winner will win a copy of the Arma 3 DLC Bundle!

ss_6927954921b1ab1030b6d7b45528a100bd15e5dd.1920x1080.jpg

The rules are simple:

1. Record a gameplay video of you and your friends playing any of the Altis on Fire episodes / missions.
  2. Publish that gameplay video up on YouTube, make sure you include 'Altis on Fire' in the title.
  3. Post a link to your YouTube video in this thread.
  4. All videos must be posted here in the thread by the end of August (August 31, 2014 - Midnight GMT.) At that point we'll list all the videos, and let folks vote on the best one.
  5. Voting will last for two weeks and whoever gets the most votes by September 14th @ Midnight GMT, I'll buy them a copy of the Arma III DLC bundle on Steam and gift it to them.

That's all there is to it...If you already have the A3 DLC bundle I'll buy you any other game on Steam (worth $25 USD or under) and gift it to you. You'll of course have to have Steam and need to (at least temporarily) friend me on Steam so I can purchase and then gift the DLC bundle/game to you.

So fire up those recordings and let's see some cool Altis on Fire gameplay vids!

Edited by Meatball

The rules are simple:

Record a gameplay video of you and your friends playing any of the Altis on Fire episodes / missions.

But...I don't have any friends... :(

The episodes can be played solo, but they're really built to be played Multiplayer and are hard to play without some friends along for the mission.

New Version Update!

Changelog:

v 1.03

- Various minor bug fixes and tweaks across all three missions.

Altis on Fire: Episode 1 on Steam Workshop

Altis on Fire: Episode 2 on Steam Workshop

Altis on Fire: Episode 3 on Steam Workshop

Armaholic Link

I've also extended the video contest through the end of August! Make some videos of any Altis on Fire missions and post them here for a chance to win a copy of the A3 DLC bundle!

Edited by Meatball

Thank you Meatball! I'll test it today. :)

New Version Update!

Changelog

v 1.04

- Episode 1: Redesign of the 'drop' mechanism to create better randomization of drops.

- Episode 2: Bug fix for the Kavala "Destroy Bridges" task. Now changed to "Mine Bridges". Must mine the 4 bridges with 3-4 mines each to complete task.

- Episode 2: Added in a few basic crates at step off points to give the players some extra starting gear.

- Episode 3: Minor tweaks to the AI levels.

Armaholic Link

Edited by Meatball

New Version Update!

Changelog

v 1.05

- Episode 1: Added in a "Unit Scatter Distance" parameter to allow players to set initial unit scatter distance from 1 to 10 KM, default is 2.5KM

- Episodes 1-3: Minor tweaks to AI settings.

- Epilogue: Added in a new 'Epilogue' mission. The mission is very Alpha and still has some bugs in it, but I would love to get some feedback on where it stands so far. Don't have it published on Steam Workshop yet, but you can download direct from here.

Armaholic Link

Will removing BTC revive from the missions cause any problem? (my group uses @AGM)

Yeah, there will be some issues. There is a failure trigger in all of them tied to all players being unconscious at the same time which checks a variable set by BTC. Also, in some of the missions where the players can 'auto-revive' that's tied to BTC as well. You can try it, but there's probably a good bit of rework in the missions if you want to make them work with a different revive script.

Edited by Meatball

Hey all, just wanted to throw a request out there. As the deadline for the contest nears, if you guys know of, or run into any bugs/problems with any of the missions, please post them up. I want to make AoF as polished as possible before the deadline in October!

Also, if you've enjoyed any of the Altis on Fire missions and don't mind, it'd be great if you take few moments to upvote/support Altis on Fire on Contest Page, Steam Workshop and Armaholic. Any support you offer helps to get the word out to more folks about the missions. Thanks again!

Altis on Fire Contest Page

Altis on Fire - Episode 1 "Fallout" - Steam Workshop

Altis on Fire - Episode 2 "Force Recon" - Steam Workshop

Altis on Fire - Episode 3 "Rock and a Hard Place" - Steam Workshop

Altis on Fire Mission Pack - Armaholic

I've played now mission #1, and find it really great, I do like these very long missions where e.g. it actually makes sense to collect stuff for later (because there is actually a "later" unlike most other missions^^). The relaxed loadout phase before the mission really starts is something I really like, big plus for that! I've played it alone as SP, and made some minor edits to it, like deleting the other team members and disabling the BTC revive (which probably did not cause any problems because I played as SP, so a death means end of mission and reverting from a save). Was quite well playable despite it being not meant as a SP mission. However, to improve it a bit, I'd suggest to increase the variety of enemy groups, some soldiers with rifle optics (i.e. team/squad leaders) and some with sniper rifles etc. would be good, maybe not only AAF but also NATO enemies.

In mission #2 however there seems just way too much stuff going on, I have very low fps (in the single digit range, read: slideshow), and it also doesn't settle after a few minutes like the hint said. I admit that I had a few addons running that might increase CPU load, but they usually only do that for units in vicinity (e.g. TPW mods that creates civ cars in a few hundred meters around, improves AI reactions within 100 meters etc.), but the fps were low from start away, where you are alone on the start island and no other units around could cause trouble. So I have to assume this low fps issue is caused by just too many objects and other stuff on the island. If you have an idea what the main hurdle might be (let's say a certain script that is running in a loop for a lot of objects, but that is not really necessary for the mission), I could try to deactivate that part to cut the mission down to accommodate it to my slow computer. Otherwise I'll just bookmark this for a later date when I eventually get some new hardware...

Hey, thanks for the feedback! There's probably something to your comment for mission 2. I used the AI Spawn Script Pack in that mission, where in missions 1 & 3 I used EoS and EoS seems to be a bit better for frame rates and such. I've been thinking of trying to swap out the AI Spawn Script Pack and put in EoS in mission 2, but it's a _huge_ undertaking and would require a major rewrite. I may give it a shot and see if I can work something up before the deadline though.

Definitely try mission 3 as well if you get a chance!

Thanks again...

Hi Meatball, greetings from Argentina! Yesterday me and my group of friends play the EP1, seems to be a very good mission with a lot to do! The only problem that we find is the lack of vehicles (we see only two or three red trucks on the road) because now with the new fatigue system is annoying travel long distances on foot. We search in the towns and on gas stations but found no vehicles.

Today we will play the EP2!!!

Sorry my bad english.

I'm working on EP2 right now to retool it for a different AI spawning/caching system, so there might be a new version of that up shortly. Also will look to boost up empty civilian vehicles in towns for all the missions.

New Version Update!

Changelog

v 1.06

- All 3 Episodes: Increased the spawn rate of empty civilian cars in all episodes.

- All 3 Episodes: Refreshed the AI Unit pools to include many newer units. AI troops and vehicles should be more varied.

- All 3 Episodes: Tired of trying to run with the new Fatigue system? Added in a new parameter to Enable / Disable fatigue in all episodes. The default setting is 'Disabled' and it can be adjusted using the 'Parameters' button on the Role Selection screen.

- Episode 2/Force Recon: Retooled the episode to use BangaBob's EoS system for AI spawning/caching, hopefully will ease some FPS issues folks are seeing due to AI load.

- Episode 2/Force Recon: Added a new step off point "East" on the coast near Faronaki and added in scuba gear for anyone wishing to try a stealthy insertion.

Please let me know if you run into any issues, no matter how small!

Altis on Fire Contest Page

Edited by Meatball

That idea to swap the script might indeed be a good idea, not just for me. I may have a slow CPU, but if I got the latest and greatest CPU that maybe doubled my fps, then they would still be quite low (e.g. going from 6 to 12 fps doesn't still make it playable), so adjusting the mission scripts will certainly benefit every player, regardless of the used hardware. The enemy groups in mission #1 were working really well, they were there early enough and didn't disappear too fast, yet it still made for a smooth playing experience.

Maybe you don't have to rework everything but can just adjust the spawning/despawning distances. If they are too high, the number of units is quickly out of hand, as they are proportional to the area (r²*pi), so a doubling of the radius (e.g. 500m instead of 250m) means there are statistically 12.5 times as many units.

EDIT: sry, overlooked your latest post. Will try the new version.

EDIT #2: Yes, that change does really make a difference, fps have more than doubled! It is now playable, although I still don't have exceptionally high fps, but it's playable and in line with other not totally simple missions. Thanks!

Another idea of improvement: You could put a virtual arsenal on the supply crates on the starting islands, so people can kit out themselves as they wish (also with uniform addons etc.).

Edited by Brainbug

EDIT #2: Yes, that change does really make a difference, fps have more than doubled! It is now playable, although I still don't have exceptionally high fps, but it's playable and in line with other not totally simple missions. Thanks!

Glad it's working better. There's still instances where things may bog down on a slower machine as there could easily be 100-150 AI running around behind the scenes trying to find the players, but hopefully EoS eases that up a bit. If you do have the opportunity to run the mission on a dedicated server and maybe throw a headless client into the mix it can definitely run a lot better, but hopefully all the missions should be at least playable even on locally hosted games.

Another idea of improvement: You could put a virtual arsenal on the supply crates on the starting islands, so people can kit out themselves as they wish (also with uniform addons etc.).

When I built the first episode (which was actually Force Recon) I originally had Virtual Ammobox in it, but got a lot of feedback that folks didn't like it, so I pulled it. If someone really wants to add it, it's not that difficult to add themselves.

Thanks for the feedback, keep the ideas and any bugs you find coming!

Since I haven't heard of any issues from anyone, I've pushed the latest version out as 'public' and you can now download v1.06 at the normal locations.

Sign in to follow this