Sign in to follow this  
p1nga

Weapon UI Tool

I'm not sure about others, but one thing i hate very much about the new modular weapon system is that it takes so damn long to make User Interface Icons, or at least it always did for me.

I was preparing some new M4's for ADF-Uncut and i calculated that i would require around 120 Interface icons for all the combinations of colors, grips and attachments, and i knew how painful that would become after the first 20 so i designed in my head on the spot a small program that would do it for me, and then went about creating it in C# and Windows forms, it is a rather simple program.

I was not even sure if someone already had something similar i didn't think to search i just went ahead and made what i thought would make something mundane a lot quicker and easier.

You simply save a weapon file and then each attachment file separately (all images should be the same dimension) and pic a location to save and the name of the weapon, click generate and it will place the required attachment overlays onto the weapon and save it with the correct name (i.e. gear_m4_des_mst_ca.png). Using this i generated 127 interface icons in about 2minutes. Now the program at this point is super untidy and rough, i have only spent about 1 hour working on it, but i will release it here and update this post when i have tidied it up and added some better features.

bpfbirb6amtk5b8fg.jpg

I expect it will be able to:

• Convert the .png files to .paa, delete the .png's if you wish.
  • Quick Load Images Using a Naming Convention
  • Batch Process Weapons
  • Preview Before Render
  • Compensate for DPI variations
  • Look better than my BETA version

pretty cool :bounce3:

Oh this is going to be VERY useful. Could this be used, or modified to work for magazines? I know it's not the scope of the project, but making clean magazine pics is a huge PITA too, do you think you could make another version for magazine type items?

Either way this it going to be a life saver.

I will love you forever for this. I absolutely hate weapons because of this bit.

Oh this is going to be VERY useful. Could this be used, or modified to work for magazines? I know it's not the scope of the project, but making clean magazine pics is a huge PITA too, do you think you could make another version for magazine type items?

Either way this it going to be a life saver.

It should be possible, what sort of things would it need to do? But I'm not 100% clear on what you had in mind, if it is having a base magazine image and then overlays that add small changes to signify tracers or type of ammunition, it will probably require me to make the whole system a bit more modular as at the moment it is very much hard coded to work with Weapon + Attachments.

Oh man , this will be a time saver - since doing this by hand is the pain also thinking why BIS did it this way?

They could make 1 main weapon icon and attachment icons separate then combine them like few games did before or just use 3D viewer like Dayz , War INC etc

Edited by RobertHammer

Nice idea.

Cant wait to see it. If you nedd an tester...

Call me ;)