IndeedPete

Spin-Off Release: Simple Conversation System

@IndeedPete Played around some more with the script after work, and...Well this time it isn't BI's fault, I'm simply a dumbass who had PIP disabled in my game, of course the LiveCam wouldn't work . It's always disabled on my pc and I had forgotten about that settings,  Sorry to have bothered you because of my stupidity.

The multiple choice dialog is the most interesting, so much possibilities! Thanks again 🙂

Oh well, that happens. No worries!

Hello IndeedPete, 

First, thank you for this wonderful tool, very neat and beautiful work.

Though I need a tip from you about something, I'm not very good at scripting to be honest, 

so any tips will be great, what I want to do is to add some kind of a "hover" effect. 

For example if there is a dialog with multiple choice, when I hover on each choice it changes the color 

so I know which choice I'm about to chose, if you can hint me on which file I need to edit to get it done, that would be great. 

By the way here is the mod/mission that I'm using your tool/addon in it. 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2252261592

Thanks a lot.

Thank you. Not sure that is possible. But if it is, it would probably some event script set in dialogs.hpp.

• Thanks 1

@IndeedPete I know this is old as hell, but you still seem to be replying to these, so that gives me some hope. I have two questions regarding the script. One that seems much more complicated, one that is probably rather simple, but I don't know what I'm doing.

Is it possible to create a "karma system" for the dialogue tree that will either add points or subtract points from a value depending on which choices you make? I'm currently doing a Star Wars themed RPG styled game and thought it would be interesting to have players change their light side/dark side alignment based on what choices they make in the dialogue trees.

The second question I have is whether or not dialogue options can be used to make changes to a character, such as adding an item or subtracting it from their inventories, giving out tasks or changing a unit's side (such as changing hostilities toward a group after threatening them, gaining dark side points and making you KOS for that faction, vice versa)

If these things are possible, and I am fairly sure they are, how would I implement them? Do you think the karma system would be a good project to work on?

I do have another question, though this one is not exactly tied to the script, but is a question I've had nonetheless. Is it possible to script certain props to become items you can put in your inventory? I have various scrap items that are classed as props and so can't be looted, but I am wanting to allow players to scrap and sell these junk parts if they so choose.

Well, yes that's possible. There is the expression config property in the missionConversations.hpp where you can run any code you want. It is executed once the response is selected and the dialog opened. Check the first page for an example.

@IndeedPete first let me thank you for this awesome conversation system. 

About one of the limitations: "For full conversations, both participants NEED a variable name. (It's necessary for a workaround to make the MC work.)"

I think this will do the trick with the player unit. Tested in SP (should work in MP) with a player controlled unit without variable name and worked. Add this in "initPlayerLocal.sqf".

// Create a fancy player global var name. Not checking against duplicates... maybe use SteamID value?
private _playerVar = format ["player_%1", [name player] call BIS_fnc_filterString];

// Create the var
missionNamespace setVariable [_playerVar, player, true];
(missionNamespace getVariable _playerVar) setVehicleVarName _playerVar;

Cheers 🙂

is there a way to have ambient chatter without audio files? there's no way i'm going to be able to get people to dub a bunch of voicelines. if i remove the parameter pointing towards the .ogg voice file in sentences.bikb but leave the text parameter as it is then the dialogue window will pop up for .000001 seconds before disappearing. i assume it only shows the text as long as the audio is playing.

any way around this?