Sign in to follow this  
Ben00

Arma 3 Performance Issues Longtime BIS player

Hello all, sorry if this has been posted a million times, but I've tried every tweak I can find. I've been playing BIS games since Operation flashpoint 1, I had the Alpha running on Ultra on my system, but as soon as I downloaded the full game, the only way the game is playable is in an empty editor world. I've tried adjust all my settings from low to Ultra individually but the game remained unplayable. I had given up on it for months, but with the recent update it appeared slightly playable (I managed to get through the Stratis campaign) but Altis is SP is still basically unplayable. I've tried most of the tweak guides to no avail, I've also run my system specs against this website game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1855&game=ArmA%20III and it says I should have more then enought power there. Any help or advice on hardware would be much appreciated as I love the BIS games and don't want to give up on ARMA 3

My Specs;

Radeon HD 7770 1 GB OC

AMD Athlon 2 X4 640

8GB Ram

BIOSTAR A780L3B 760G Motherboard

WD Blue WD10EALX 1TB Desktop Hard Drive - 3.5", SATA, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache

Should I be able to run Arma 3 with this setup?

Sorry mate, but your CPU is too weak to give a good experience in this game.

Okay, could you recommend a CPU for me? My GPU is fine for ARMA3 then I take it? And I take it overclocking the CPU won't help much?

Your CPU is so weak I don't think overclocking will help much. I hate to say it but I think your slow CPU will just become a hot, slow CPU.

I wouldn't recommend anything specific, though Intel does seem to be where the clever money is right now. Or at least was when I bought my i7 2600k which performs just fine for me.

I'm not familiar with ATI GPU nomenclature, so will let someone else comment on that. Safe to say, this game just loves a powerul CPU, an SSD, a sexy GPU and loads of memory in that order.

Okay, could you recommend a CPU for me? My GPU is fine for ARMA3 then I take it? And I take it overclocking the CPU won't help much?

fast ram http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cpu+arma3&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=3C4E879D316AEF5EC6B459F5C1702AB6FCF4BC8E&selectedIndex=6

and intel cpu (2500k, 3570k or 4670k)

There are already threads both for buying new computers and for low performance...

Anyways you should upgrade your 1) motherboard and 1) CPU... everything else is “OK.â€

After that I would upgrade 2) graphics card and maybe 3) memories… I assume you have 1333 MHz memories and ARMA has been shown to benefit from quicker memories (try 2133 or 2400 MHz) on newer CPUs.

Should run better then.

Depending on how much money you have to spare we could recommend a mobo/CPU. Amazon.com pricing is about $300-$360.

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Don't forget new motherboard.

Thanks guys, sorry about posting a thread I've just looked through mulitple performance tweak threads, and the fact my system past the requirements verification had me confused. It must have been something wrong with the website then I guess.

I don't need to have everything on ultra, (I was in love with OFP1 so anything better then that is a treat haha) I just want the gameplay to run smooth. So I think I will just upgrade my CPU/MOBO. I appreciate the help and recommendations thanks again!!

Before replacing..., could try an overclock just to see.

Thanks guys, sorry about posting a thread I've just looked through mulitple performance tweak threads, and the fact my system past the requirements verification had me confused. It must have been something wrong with the website then I guess.

I don't need to have everything on ultra, (I was in love with OFP1 so anything better then that is a treat haha) I just want the gameplay to run smooth. So I think I will just upgrade my CPU/MOBO. I appreciate the help and recommendations thanks again!!

A MSI Z87-G45 Gaming and i5-4670K is $360 on Amazon.com currently… that’s what you should go for if you can afford it.

There are cheaper motherboards such as the MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate and cheaper CPUs too but the 4670K is very worth it.

I’d upgrade that then see how well the game works. It’s difficult to say how it’s going to work because I haven’t heard a lot from users with a strong CPU and weak graphics card. With my 560 Ti (about the same as 7770) and an old CPU I was able to play on standard-high settings (see my signature) so you should be able to do at least that, very well… however according to a benchmark with a 4770K (=4670K) and 7770 you will only be able to use Very High settings in about 20 fps. That benchmark is based on ARMA3 version 1.0 though and some things have changed since then.

If the game DOESN’T work as well as you would want by then I would buy a 760 ($270) or AMD equivalent. At worst a 660 ($190). Memories may also make a difference if you have about $100 to experiment with. For science I would love to know the difference between 1333 MHz memories and 2400 MHz memories if 1333 is what you currently have :p

Again… you have tons of options. All depends on how much money you have. At cheapest maybe a G41 PC Mate ($88), i3-4330 ($130) and 660 ($190) could do well. That computer would be a step up from my old computer which I played standard-high on. At two-thirds the price of a full strength computer.

Then again I would always recommend saving and then doing a big upgrade. Don’t be a cheapskate. In a few years those extra few hundred bucks won’t matter at all but your computer will be that much stronger.

There’s also no rush to upgrade. It’s not like Half-Life 3 is confirmed or anything. ARMA3 will still be around in six months.

I would also recommend waiting for next fall since there’s new generation of CPUs and graphics card coming every end of summer so around September is always the best time to upgrade. The newest stuff will be brand new and the older stuff will drop significantly in price.

His CPU shouldn't have any trouble at low or medium settings, as he said he tried low settings to no avail. Your argument is only valid if a quad core AMD can run it at least at 33 fps on low. Havrn't you heard of box misrepresentation?

---------- Post added at 03:48 ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 ----------

i agree, i tried all possible tweaks even Steam tweaks, settings adjustments, etc. there's really something wrong like no other game has. If a quad core (regardless of brand or speed) can't run it in low, thats when you know there's a problem with the game.

His CPU shouldn't have any trouble at low or medium settings, as he said he tried low settings to no avail. Your argument is only valid if a quad core AMD can run it at least at 33 fps on low. Havrn't you heard of box misrepresentation?

i agree, i tried all possible tweaks even Steam tweaks, settings adjustments, etc. there's really something wrong like no other game has. If a quad core (regardless of brand or speed) can't run it in low, thats when you know there's a problem with the game.

He's not saying the game is unplayable though...

Edit: Googling "box misrepresentation" doesn't give any significant hits :p

Edited by Sneakson

I don't understand what you mean by 'argument is only valid if a quad core etc etc'?

Actually, I don't understand box misrepresentation either.

The game is barely playable with my current rig, driving is an absolute nightmare. I've played other games on Ultra settings (the newest Assasins creed and MOH games) with no problems, so that is why I posted here. It just seemed funny that the Alpha and Beta played so smooth on Higher settings, but the Full version is not playable even on all low settings. It says im getting 35-40fps (on LOW) but it feels nowhere near that.

I will likely wait until newer CPU's come out to upgrade, it just seems too bad to shelf Arma until then.

The game is barely playable with my current rig, driving is an absolute nightmare. I've played other games on Ultra settings (the newest Assasins creed and MOH games) with no problems, so that is why I posted here. It just seemed funny that the Alpha and Beta played so smooth on Higher settings, but the Full version is not playable even on all low settings. It says im getting 35-40fps (on LOW) but it feels nowhere near that.

I will likely wait until newer CPU's come out to upgrade, it just seems too bad to shelf Arma until then.

The fps meter in the options menu is not the same as in-game. Measure independently.

Yeah, I realized after posting that the options fps isn't the best way to check. I'm definitely getting constant frame drops, I know my system can't play Ultra settings, but I think it should be able to play on low-medium. I just want to be able to play through the Campaign, I don't need the game to be on Ultra.

I tried rolling back my graphics card drivers again, and also just uninstalled Nvidea software that was left over from a previous card. This didn't seem to work, but now Steam is downloading missing files, so hopefully it has something to do with my issue. I will let you know what happens. I know my system isn't top notch, but I do think I should be able to get Arma at least playable with it.

Got it! Installed Beta drivers from the AMD website for the graphics card and CPU, also changed my computers power settings to Performance, which I hope wasn't it cause that seems way too simple haha. Anyways the difference is night and day. I'm not getting good performance on anything above 'high', but on Standard it now plays great!! Thanks for the help guys!

Edit: Did another test, it turns out it was my power settings, talk about checking the tank before rebuilding the engine, I can't believe that took me 3 months to figure out haha. I've never had that affect other games before Arma

Got it! Installed Beta drivers from the AMD website for the graphics card and CPU, also changed my computers power settings to Performance, which I hope wasn't it cause that seems way too simple haha. Anyways the difference is night and day. I'm not getting good performance on anything above 'high', but on Standard it now plays great!! Thanks for the help guys!

Edit: Did another test, it turns out it was my power settings, talk about checking the tank before rebuilding the engine, I can't believe that took me 3 months to figure out haha. I've never had that affect other games before Arma

Power settings? :p That's unusual.

No kidding, I guess my Power management was limiting my CPU to save juice. I thought most games override this on boot up but I guess Arma wasn't. Stupidly simple fix

No kidding, I guess my Power management was limiting my CPU to save juice. I thought most games override this on boot up but I guess Arma wasn't. Stupidly simple fix
good to hear :)

Always Intel, always Nvidia. NEVER had problems with any Arma game with that (OK, so Arma2 release was a little shitty at the start - but everyone was in the same boat!)

Glad you got it sorted however. Power settings is a bugger to find!

Edited by Kremator

NOTHING will help your low fps. Jesus read around, the game is flawed and has terrible performance in multiplayer. This will not be fixed nor can you fix it.

NOTHING will help your low fps. Jesus read around, the game is flawed and has terrible performance in multiplayer. This will not be fixed nor can you fix it.

You don't think the 4 year old CPU has any bearing on the matter for this user? A CPU that was mid range even on the day AMD announced it?

Nothing except switching my power settings to High Performance, which made it playable for me.

The game might not run the best on mid range hardware, but its an impressively immense game and that should be expected. I would rather BIS release a game that its demanding on current hardware and last 2-3 years, then release a new game every Christmas. I think they did a great job with Arma, there is not another game like it IMO. Im happy to play in Standard settings until hardware gets a little cheaper.

Edited by Ben00

Nothing except switching my power settings to High Performance, which made it playable for me.

The game might not run the best on mid range hardware, but its an impressively immense game and that should be expected. I would rather BIS release a game that its demanding on current hardware and last 2-3 years, then release a new game every Christmas. I think they did a great job with Arma, there is not another game like it IMO. Im happy to play in Standard settings until hardware gets a little cheaper.

It doesn't run well on any hardware. Midrange, High, Nasa.