pooroldspike

Weapon tests

Sometimes reports seem to be ignored but they're really looked after by the devs, it happened a few times with mine as well then when the next stable patch came out they were fixed.

A while ago i noticed that the attitude indicador in the blackfoot heló was inverted, and i decides to bypass the feedback and i directly twitter the problemas to @arma3. Not only they answered inmediately, but a month after that it was fixed :)

It's not as simple as that, because the tanks have hitzones now. If you get a weak spot, you can kill a T-100 with a single RPG (unguided) to the front. And last night I cooked a T-100 with one RPG to the rear turret.

right bigger is always better

I've tried, but to no avail: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=20478

There are many inconsistencies in the naming conventions, it's a nightmare if you plan on doing some more advanced scripting.

Unarmed Ifrit would be "O_MRAP_02_F", unarmed Hunter would be "B_MRAP_01_F", then sometimes a string component is uppercase for faction A, while it's lowercase for faction B etc.

Now if you dynamically want to pick one depending on side you have to go through a lot of workarounds other than simply choosing by a side dependent prefix like:

_unarmedMRAP = format ["%1_MRAP_01_F",_prefix];

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

One question. GM6 Lynx can damage a MBT track?

Edited by C4mp3r
grammar

One question. GM6 Lynx can damage a MBT track?
To the extent that "Soviet/Russian .50-cal" rounds can anyway...

To the extent that "Soviet/Russian .50-cal" rounds can anyway...

Even without APDS round?

I have tested and Gm6 Lynx can destroy a tank thread and a APC thread. But the damage seen to be very inconsistent. Some times, few rounds is enough to disable a tank track and some times, 2 or 3 magazines and the tank still going.

Some times, few rounds is enough to disable a tank track and some times, 2 or 3 magazines and the tank still going.

That's because the hitpoints dont cover the entire track. There are only special areas where it works. Shoot a cm next to it and it does nothing. You can view them by using arma3diag.exe using the hitpoints function

In real life AT type weapons are explosive shaped in some fashion turning a bit of metal of some type projecting it forward into a armor piercing bullet badass. Basically the round itself when it strikes the tank blows up forcing some kind of metal plate to accelerate from that point forward. Assuming a nearly perpendicular strike the perfect angle giving the explosive no chance to "turn" from on side to the other maximizing explosive force on the armors surface. A secondary effect of that if immediate heating softening the metal from the actual impact. And third the actual projectile itself usually travels those last few inches through that armor propelled at much greater speeds than the original "carrying package or projectile" could sustain in flight without breaking apart due to sheer force. These simple things apply to the physics rules of AT weapons. Mortars and HE shells are designed to fragmentize or Concuss a target disabling it that way the shockwave or shrapnel penetration has the killing effect producing only a single effect upon armor not all three. Not to mention the amount of force that is absorbed by the ground. Lastly the sheer size of an explosive renders the need for it to be complex useless the 240MM rocket packs a lot of force and detonates at or above ground level not penetrating it slightly like mortars do thus NOT reducing force. That large concussive wave does the damage literally sheering one inch of armor off of the next and compressing the entire tank. The Circular type expansion of that explosion renders flatter surfaces at greater risk. Much like a car accident one part of the vehicle begins to move and the rest remains still much like a bumper collapsing from a moving vehicle. This is a bit Advanced hope you understand.

hello,

this is my first post, I hope this is the best thread for it.

I mostly play infantry in Arma 3, but occasionally I like to fly the A-10 and A 100. I master fairly well all the weapons, but the bombs are a mystery to me.

My problem is that once the target has been painted with laser I do not detect it. Same thing with IR grenades.. It happened when playing multiplayer, so I started some training mission in the editor, but I still cannot see in my HUD. I deploy an empty/enemy vehicle, then I paint it with a remote designator (without the ‘autonomous option on)/darter or I throw IR grenades. I then take off and I fly from different angles and altitudes (making sure that I’m coming from the right side of the vehicle= where the laser is visible), but nothing shows in my HUD. I tried to push all sorts of buttons: next target, lock, reveal target etc, but nothing. I know these are valid targets because autonomous drones (Yabhon) detects the target and drops the bomb.

In my understanding the target painted with the laser should appear automatically in my HUD without pushing any button (green square+name item in red). Then it’s just a matter of aligning the plane, wait for the “diamond†to appear and then drop the bomb. I have seen countless tutorials teaching you how to align with the bomb target (speed altitude etc), but nothing that would help me with my problem.

I fear I’m doing wrong something very basic , but no idea what this is.

Any suggestion would be hugely appreciated

Thanks

P.S. I also tried with and without modes just in case…no result.

WHat you describe is the correct process.

Once someone with a laser designator marks the target you should be able to make it show by pressing R (for my layout, this might change), the locking works as you described.

Are you sure the AI doesn't turn the laser designator off? or perhaps you don't have the correct keybind assigned?

yep, I'm pretty sure that the laser is still on. To test it I use UAV or other AI flying the A10. They autonomously spot the target and drop the GBU bomb. I also reinstalled the game but no difference...no idea what's wrong..

The laser target should appear as a red square in your radar, if you don't have that then it means the laser is not working.

If you have that but you cannot lock onto it i'd try checking the keybinds again.

Do you have any problem locking with anti tank missiles?

It seems the only logical explanation, yet I find it weird that AI can still attack the targets painted with laser after I let go of the UAV control(which to me it means that the laser is still on).

I think that the empty vehicle appears as a red square in my little radar but then nothing in my HUD.

AA and AG missiles: no problem. can see the target, lock on and hit when I shoot.

What difficulty do you play at? That also might affect the target to appear or not.

Use the UAV "Turret Lock" keybind to lock the Darter turret to your target. Simply de-selecting Autonomous mode will not keep the laser pointed at the correct spot.

This is Vanilla/no mods though. If you are using ACE3 you cannot lock onto laser targets with GBUs yet; for some wierd arse reason they've disabled it O_o

thanks guys,

@chairborne: for the difficulty I'm not quite sure, I'll check (what is the default when you create a map in editor?)

@ imperator: thanks, I indeed enabled as well the lock target (crtl+T by default if I remember). Both on static and mobile targets. I then activate the mini-monitor and I can see that darters and UAV keep the lock with the turret on the targets. But I do use ACE and maybe that even when it is disabled it still impacts the core version of the game (though I also reinstalled the game without modes with all the default settings to check and the problem was still there).

So, corrugated tin sheds are bullet proof?

Have you watched Dsylexci's bullet penetration video?

Scopes need to reduce the increments from 100 m to 50 m. The hold over for long distance shooting is horrendous. 

• Like 1

FIRING AT-MISSILES AGAINST A MOVING TARGET WITHOUT A LOCKON.

If you lock up a mover the lock will keep breaking as he moves behind bushes and trees etc, so it's worthwhile taking a pot at him without a lockon. I set up this test in the Editor-

PIC 1- We're packing a Titan AT launcher and see a Varsuk streaking fast along the road in the direction of the arrow..

AA3-therm-mov1_zpshxwgu4wr.jpg~original

PIC 2- We switch to thermals to get a clearer image of him and fire a missile, and the sequence 1234 illustrates how the missile (even though unlocked) will still try to follow the crosshairs on a curving flight path as you sweep them along just in front of the tank.

(The tank is partially shielded in 2 and 3 by bushes and a pole but the missile doesn't care as it's only interested in following the crosshairs like a bloodhound)

The trick is to guess how far in front of the tank the hairs have to be kept. Best I could do in this test was a near miss (4), but I've managed to get the odd hit during gameplay in the past, though not very often.

PS- The tank in the test isn't glowing white-hot because it's only been moving for a hundred yards and hasn't warmed up properly yet-

AA3-therm-mov2_zpsdofyu0iz.jpg~original

• Like 2

GHILLIES PROVIDE THERMAL CONCEALMENT

This is not a weapons test, it's a test to see how ghillie suits compare to standard battledress against thermal spotting.

(For the record this is Arma3 version 1.66)

I lined up three ghillie snipers (123) and a 3-man standard infantry battledress group- 

#1 wears a 'semi-arid' ghillie, #2 wears a 'lush', and #3 wears an 'arid'.

Note I placed #1 with his back to us.

AA3-therm1_zpsr0refxum.jpg~original

Below-This is how they all look through the thermal sight of a Titan AT shoulder launcher (same with an AA launcher and laser designator), the warm faces of #2 and #3 show up clearly, and we can also catch a glimpse of #1's cheeks as he turns his head to look left and right because his back is to us. The three standard infantry stand out clearly-  

AA3-therm2_zpswrnnqy2s.jpg~original

Below-This is a zoomed shot of the ghillie guys, interestingly the front of their ghillies is open, yet their bodies still get full thermal protection. (#1's ghillie is also open, I ran round him to check)

(Note in a separate test I ran them several hundred yards to see if the exertion would make their bodies glow, but no it didn't)

AA3-therm3_zpsk8riwfw5.jpg~original

Below-Same shot as above but seen in thermal, #2 and #3's warm faces glow like crazy, but  #1 is almost invisible because his back is to us-

AA3-therm4_zpskqrvjkzx.jpg~original

A closeup of the 'lush' ghillie-

AA3-therm5_zpsd0o80a4a.jpg~original

Tactical conclusions- Ghillies give fantastic protection against thermal detection because only their uncovered faces glow white, and at medium/longish ranges a thermal operator might not notice a tiny face.

For maximum protection against thermals, lying prone with your face pressed into the ground is the best bet, raising your head to look around every now and again.

• Like 4

Oops I forgot to include the sniper with the "stripey" ghillie in the above test, but his Ghillie doesn't give him thermal protection anyway!

To recap, the 4 snipers are found in the 'Special Forces' section here, the stripey one is just called 'Sniper'. 

aa3-snipJ_zps2pvsjs0g.jpg~original

Left to right- Sniper,  Sniper (Arid),  Sniper (Lush),  Sniper (Semi-arid)-

aa3-snipH_zps5fguw8sq.jpg~original

A thermal view of them lined up, the Sniper in his stripey thing on the right is lit up like a christmas tree, but the Arid, Lush and Semi-arid are almost invisible except for their warm faces-

aa3-snipB_zpsg1udosr9.jpg~original

And a rear view shows the same thing, Mr. Stripey stands out a mile but the other 3 are almost invisible-

aa3-snipC_zpsxchwlbgf.jpg~original

WARNING!- this firing test below shows that the barrels of weapons GLOW HOT after a few rounds.The good news is that they cool off back to invisibilty after a couple of minutes (I waited and watched).

The other good news is that the hot barrels are such a tiny thermal image that the enemy might not even notice them on his thermals especially at medium/longish ranges, but as a precaution we could try to conceal the barrels til they've cooled by getting behind cover-

aa3-snipIa_zpsgphbchk6.jpg~original

• Like 3