Thanks for the article, good to hear about some of the inner workings of the arma engine too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wld427 said:

what is long..... hard.... and full of................................. oh never mind....

:)

Too late I already cracked that joke weeks ago...

• Like 7

I take it those limits apply to other classes, so you could in theory make a destroyer which comes in around 130m max, because they are relatively narrow (20-30m at most) unlike ships like LPD's and CV's which are long and have a high width? Might make it interesting what other ships could be made like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [evo] dan said:

I take it those limits apply to other classes, so you could in theory make a destroyer which comes in around 130m max, because they are relatively narrow (20-30m at most) unlike ships like LPD's and CV's which are long and have a high width? Might make it interesting what other ships could be made like that.

I dont' think so.  I've not managed to get anything past 74m.  It really is hit and miss. 50m & 64m are a fairly reliable max. But so much depends on your geometry and the weird black magic of the RV game engine that even then it can be a little bit odd and unpredicable.

I have a Frigate at 80m bang on and that doesnt work. Yet the Kilo at 74m does. I also have a tender at 66m and that doesnt work. So it really is a bit of black magic.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rksl-rock said:

I dont' think so.  I've not managed to get anything past 74m.  It really is hit and miss. 50m & 64m are a fairly reliable max. But so much depends on your geometry and the weird black magic of the RV game engine that even then it can be a little bit odd and unpredicable.

I have a Frigate at 80m bang on and that doesnt work. Yet the Kilo at 74m does. I also have a tender at 66m and that doesnt work. So it really is a bit of black magic.

What happens to it? Does it just not move or does it freak out and fly all over the map?

24 minutes ago, Polyus said:

What happens to it? Does it just not move or does it freak out and fly all over the map?

Nothing really major happens past the size limits for me. it starts to break down depending on how you approach the geometries, but I've managed to get 110m to work fine on occasion. 

from my experience at least, non-PhysX objects seem to clip through lods at around 50m, but i have yet to find a definitive dimension that PhysX objects stop interacting, though i imagine it to be about 128m. It may also be based on your CPU clock speed...

as for engine interpretations, some hard-coded elements prevent certain functions from running smoothly, like AI path-finding, Artillery computers, etc. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Polyus said:

Alot depends on the structure of your geometry.  But, CTFRaven's answer is pretty definative.  

The thing about the Geo lod is that it is used differently in different classes of object. The size limit it measured symmetrically around the origin so – In my own experience - you will always get better collision detection performance if none of your components exceed 50m. eg

50m = (25m <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Origin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 25m)

64m = (7m <<<) (25m <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Origin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 25m) (>>> 7m)

70m = (10m <<<<) (25m <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Origin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 25m) (>>>>> 10m)

Now the last two are made up of at least 3 objects. It’s a bit hit and miss at these sizes.  64m is usually ok for an object with simple geometry and no roadway.  If you do add a roadway lod they will break down.  At the extremes, you will simply be able to walk right through them and weapon hits may not register properly.

large.596c4e5f4ccbf_kilogeolod.PNG.f2f0e

This is the kilo’s geo lod.  It’s as simple as I can make it.  13 components.  The odd blocks you can see floating in the middle are used to trim up the Centre or Gravity (CoG)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rksl-rock said:

Alot depends on the structure of your geometry.  But, CTFRaven's answer is pretty definative.  

The thing about the Geo lod is that it is used differently in different classes of object. The size limit it measured symmetrically around the origin so – In my own experience - you will always get better collision detection performance if none of your components exceed 50m. eg

Now the last two are made up of at least 3 objects. It’s a bit hit and miss at these sizes.  64m is usually ok for an object with simple geometry and no roadway.  If you do add a roadway lod they will break down.  At the extremes, you will simply be able to walk right through them and weapon hits may not register properly.

This is the kilo’s geo lod.  It’s as simple as I can make it.  13 components.  The odd blocks you can see floating in the middle are used to trim up the Centre or Gravity (CoG)

Ok, thanks for the info!

• Like 1

I miss the Ducks….Albion Class LPD WIP Update

Latest WIP blog and lots of pictures for those interested in the LPD.

• Like 10

Amazing work Rock!!!

• Like 1

xDDDDDD cant wait

lets get this started......

big-hawk_o_1413689.jpg

and RKSL..... you are not the only armed Hawk in town.......

91aedbaaefa1702a03013a19b5c6e4bfe1a7fa10

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:45 AM, rksl-rock said:

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:53 PM, CTFRaven said:

Nothing really major happens past the size limits for me. it starts to break down depending on how you approach the geometries, but I've managed to get 110m to work fine on occasion. 

from my experience at least, non-PhysX objects seem to clip through lods at around 50m, but i have yet to find a definitive dimension that PhysX objects stop interacting, though i imagine it to be about 128m. It may also be based on your CPU clock speed...

as for engine interpretations, some hard-coded elements prevent certain functions from running smoothly, like AI path-finding, Artillery computers, etc. 

Aahhh, hell, I'm doomed, aren't I? 

For those that missed it.  I've been running another Guess Who on Facebook and Twitter:

A gentleman by the name of George Bravo on Facebook guessed correctly so as promised the article with pics and a history lesson for Siddy is live on the RKSL Website.

• Like 17

Small progress update...

Lots of things have happened in the last week or two.  Most of the progress is being hampered by The dodgy PhysX implementation on the Planes (Brought in with the Jets DLC) and the Air Weapons pack and the need to config nearly two hundred objects. Weapons, missiles, bombs, guns, rockets etc.

Let me just say again, for the record.  i really hate configs.

• I've been getting some interesting feedback from the captive testers. So far its mostly all positive.
  • And while i've been waiting for the lads and lady to feedback i've been rebaking textures and re-making some Air Weapons models. Including some new animations. Still lots of materials and texture tweaking to go.
  • The Shelters for the UAVs and HAM Trucks are now in unwrapping. (another tedious job).  But will provide some nice set dressing as well as functional items.
  • I'm desparately trying to get the hang of Substance Painter - and failing.
  • As per feedback from the anima....minion....erm...testers I've been trying to address some balance issues re weapons effectiveness and range.  This affects the radar setup and weapons on all the aircraft.  Getting the balance right with radar and antiradar setups is proving a challenge.
  • I'm also refreshing some of my MALE (Medium Altitude Long Endurance) class UAVs with the intent to balance the ISTAR capability for all our factions.  Several MQ9 versions will be available and some other UAVs from the IAP side of the projects.  Hence the pic below.

Interesting things are afoot.  And progress is being made...as long as i dont break the configs again. :(

Rock

• Like 15

Nice stuff Rock!

You got all your other UAV's coming along too? Watchkeeper etc?

Can´t wait so see more. So many nice and High quality stuff. Thats quite impressive!!