Variable

Preventive Diplomacy - "Win" campaign episode

Are you firing clusterbombs or AT mines over your own men with the artillery, perhaps? I never had any issue with mines there.

I can't remember if I used those i'll have to restart the mission and make sure I don't use them. So u never encounted any mines in the town?

Okay I restarted mission and I didn't have the problem of mines in the town so I must of dropped a cluster bomb of AP mines that I couldn't remember doing last time I played. All good now I have managed to complete the mission.

i am stuck on this mission, i tried maybe like 15 times. whatever i do, i get overwhelmed. And when i do it right my chopper gets killed or i suddenly get a mission failed message. I am completely lost, my anti-tank launcher with 3 missiles fails to destroy 1 single tank. i cant get the laser thing to work without being shot at. and the uav is too hard for me to control, i tried to control the turret and then laser-guide the missiles but they rarely hit the tanks. mostly they end up several meters away even though i am aiming, its pretty damn hard :(

Laser designate the target only once the missile is roughly in it's maximum altitude, which is about 15 seconds after the "ordnance complete message". If you LD the target too soon, it will just smash into the ground and will not hit the target. Step by step procedure: 1. point at the target (keep LD off)

2. call in a laser guided bomb

3. wait for "ordnance complete message" and count 15 seconds once its heard

4. Laser designate the target.

5. Wait for impact with laser on.

Well I even have another problem. When I call in Laser Artillery it takes like 3min until they call rounds complete. But then there will be no splash warning and the round does not impact anywhere. I didn't use the laser at all to test that.

Interesting thing is, when I call the laser arty like 200m in front of me (I'm standing on the solar tower) it works - rounds complete and splash warning and impact (well at least sometimes, then another try it just impacts a km away).

Maybe arma will come out of alpha in a few years -.-

Having a lot of problems and difficulties as well to complete this mission...I'll give it another try tonight...

Right now Kappa is clear, and the counterattack is coming in from NE. Calling in the CAS results in mission fail every time, as others have noted here. I'd like to try the UAV, but even though I have a terminal in inventory, I cannot connect to it*. Is the UAV removed when the counterattack starts**? I had not used the UAV for the entire mission up until this point. There is no way just my squad can finish off two tanks and an IFV alone, and the CAS never has any impact before it gets shot down and...mission fail.

Edit: immersion destroyed, I restarted, and was able to finish mission after using Scalpel missiles. I could only use those missiles if I took flying control of drone, dive bombed armor, furiously hitting tab to lock. Still, some missiles missed, so I had to also use some PCML rockets. Never called in CAS, which is sure to make mission fail.

* I think I had picked up a GPS, which renders UAV terminal inert even though it is in my vest. Drop the GPS and terminal, and pick up terminal - that's the ticket.

**no it is not - it's the only way to finish mission.

Edited by OMAC

I gotta say. Just figuring out how to log into the forums and posting a thread (or a reply to a thread) is enough to give me an aneurysm. I would like to say, that I would love to start a new thread discussing this, but i don't have permission to do that. That's not gonna stop me from pouring my frustrations into this thread.

The defense of position kapa in this mission, from the AAF counter strike, has got to be the most frustrating and infuriating mission of this entire game. Besides the fact that there's a moment where the voice on the radio tells you to hold your position, yet there's a map marker telling you to move up. The mission simply does not give you enough time to prepare for the counter attack. From the time the notification is given, you have about 5 minutes, if you don;t destroy those targets in that time, you fail the mission. I must've retried 20 times from a save point, and was just unable to beat this mission.

Considering the fact that when you call an artillery strike, it takes about a full 60 seconds to hit its target, and considering that you only have about 5 minutes to kill all targets before failure, this mission seems impossible to complete the first run through. You'd have to have advanced knowledge of what is going to happen, and call in the chopper, place mines, make sure your troops have the appropriate amount of AT rockets, etc. Ahead of time, before you trigger the next event.

THERE IS NOT ENOUGH TIME TO COMPLETE THIS MISSION IN A NATURAL WAY.

I've had problems liek this with other missions in the game, but none of them were as bad as this one.

This reminds me of back in day playing games like command and conquer, where there would be a bugged mission that would tell you to do one thing, but in reality the objective was something else entirely. I thought the gaming industry was past this.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to picture that my monitor is the face of Bohemia interactive, and I'm going to throw my keyboard directly through your collective face.

Bad mission, could be fixed F*CKING EASILY IN ANY PATCH, with a simple bit of added time. FIX IT YOU A-HOLES. Either that or don't make the artillery take a over 60 seconds from the time the order is given to hit their target. stupid stupid stupid. I hate this mission.

Edited by JHK655

From the time the notification is given, you have about 5 minutes, if you don;t destroy those targets in that time, you fail the mission.

No you don't. There is no timer at all for this mission. You can take as long as you want so as long as the other squads and Delta-3-4 (the Marshall) are not wiped out. Unless you let the Kumas and Moras just roll into the town, this shouldn't happen at all because...

Considering the fact that when you call an artillery strike, it takes about a full 60 seconds to hit its target, and considering that you only have about 5 minutes to kill all targets before failure, this mission seems impossible to complete the first run through. You'd have to have advanced knowledge of what is going to happen, and call in the chopper, place mines, make sure your troops have the appropriate amount of AT rockets, etc. Ahead of time, before you trigger the next event.

...you can just use the Greyhawk and wipe out all the vehicles in one go. You honestly don't even need to call in Sierra (the Blackfoot) for CAS at all.

During the counter-attack you go up against 2x Moras, 2x Kumas and 1x Strider, backed by 2x rifle squads in total. The Greyhawk has 6x Skalpels that can blow up tanks with a direct hit, and you have cluster shells at your disposal that absolutely wreck those rifle squads in one fire mission if you time the artillery properly. Why don't you try to time your fire missions ahead instead of aiming at their current location? Seriously, they just move in a beeline towards the city center. There's no way that you can miss...

THERE IS NOT ENOUGH TIME TO COMPLETE THIS MISSION IN A NATURAL WAY.

See above.

Bad mission, could be fixed F*CKING EASILY IN ANY PATCH, with a simple bit of added time. FIX IT YOU A-HOLES. Either that or don't make the artillery take a over 60 seconds from the time the order is given to hit their target. stupid stupid stupid. I hate this mission.

The mission isn't broken or "stupid". You have all the assets that you need to do this mission without even having Kerry or your squad fire a shot. If you're not using them properly then that's your fault.

• Like 1

Guest ti0n3r

I'm having a problem where friendly AI solders are stepping on mines and getting blown up & I'm getting the blame for it and the msg "Friendly fire will not be tolerated" comes up and I get automatic mission fail! WTF? Has anyone else had this issue? Am I supposed to remove the mines first or something?

Hola. Sorry to dig up this thread but rather not start a new one. I am having a similar problem atm. Whenever I load a save from this mission, the save is loaded as normal but then a few seconds after I get this "Friendly fire will not be tolerated" for no apparent reason.

Runing 1.60 main branch, no mods or addons or anything else. Plain vanilla. Fingers crossed devs see this post before Apex hits :)

(is this related to destroying buildings? As they seem to count as civilian faction kills.)  0/10

Hola. Sorry to dig up this thread but rather not start a new one. I am having a similar problem atm. Whenever I load a save from this mission, the save is loaded as normal but then a few seconds after I get this "Friendly fire will not be tolerated" for no apparent reason.

Runing 1.60 main branch, no mods or addons or anything else. Plain vanilla. Fingers crossed devs see this post before Apex hits :)

(is this related to destroying buildings? As they seem to count as civilian faction kills.)  0/10

I have the exactly message showing up after I load the saved game. Looks like a serious bug of the campaign game....

Yeah, confirmed on the latest devbranch. I reported it. 

BTW, the mission is quite doable without saving. :) Just clear out the powerplant with your squad (use UAV to check the enemy positions), then shell the city with cluster shells. If the APC survives, treat it to some laser-guided shells. You can thrown in a 9-round HE shell burst for a good measure, too, just remember to be ready to move in. After that, you'll get the enemy armor coming in. Shoot down the vehicles using UAV's laser-guided missiles and either shell the remaining infantry if you have any rounds left or call in CAS on them. I had them attempt to hole up in two buildings after they lost their vehicles, if you see them do that, it's a good time for some HE shells. If you want to give Hague convention people a heart attack, you can also try mining their approach. :)

• Like 3

Two years and this mission hasn't been fixed yet? Seriously? The biggest problem I am having is the CAS not shooting at all, it just flies around getting shot till blows up.

Also, how many arty shells are available? A lot of people are saying use arty for everything, but I only seem to get 3 arty shots then it says its out of ammo. At first I thought using cluster uses more of your allowance, but then on another try using only 155mm HE I still only got 3 shots.

You do get only 3 calls. That's all you need, though. :) One 2-round burst of cluster shells, to clear out the infantry, one 2-round burst of laser-guided shells for the APC, then one burst of either HE (9 rounds), cluster or mine cluster (2 rounds), either for the approaching infantry or for whatever's left after the first two cluster shells. It's limited by the times you call in arty, not the actual number of rounds. 

• Like 1

You do get only 3 calls. That's all you need, though. :) One 2-round burst of cluster shells, to clear out the infantry, one 2-round burst of laser-guided shells for the APC, then one burst of either HE (9 rounds), cluster or mine cluster (2 rounds), either for the approaching infantry or for whatever's left after the first two cluster shells. It's limited by the times you call in arty, not the actual number of rounds. 

Ah I see. So I have been using single rounds like a spaz. I disabled mods to see if that was messing with the CAS, now I am getting the friendly fire message  :angry:

Make the UAV climb to the 1000m ceiling its more effective that way, its the all support you need, destroy all mechanized units and the infantry morale gonna drop.

Make the UAV climb to the 1000m ceiling its more effective that way

Better yet, just assume manual control over the AI pilot via your terminal and switch to manual fire.

The AAF will never attack the Greyhawk no matter how low you fly it as it's set to being untargetable for the entire mission. The only way it can be destroyed is if you crash it on purpose.

What does "Make sure the enemies do not take Kalochori back" mean? I destroyed at least 5 vehicles, a bunch of foot troops, and can walk freely around the village with no enemies bothering me. Does that not mean Kalochori is basically ours? WTH am I supposed to do to win this mission? Use up all the artillery calls? Call in the helicopter? Walk to a specific square metre the devs defined but do not tell us?

This game is so bugged...

My solution for this mission was finding that an enemy tank decided to stop on the solar farms and stay there. No need to capture Kalochori, rather stand by the sun.

Once I found that tank, I destroyed it, and mission was completed. Didn't even need to kill the crew that came out of it.

Summary: Terrible AI...