Sign in to follow this  
oddballsix

How does the AI take off in a fixed wing aircraft?

I can get the AI to do just about anything I want once it is in the air. Not a problem there.

How do I get the AI to take off from an air field? I cannot figure out the right combination of waypoints and/or scripting to get to do anything more than roar slowly down the runway at full throttle until it eventually slides off the runway somewhere. It looks like there are only 1 or two airfields in the whole game where I can force it to auto-takeoff in some way.

Edited by OddballSix

You don't need to do anything besides placing the jets on the taxiway, heading SW on the altis main runway.

They will take off on their own.

Just make sure they're close to the taxiway and heading SW, that's it.

It looks like there is little to no pathfinding preference to using the taxiways versus just taking a straight line over terrain - including into buildings that are in the way - to get from a hangar to the nearest point on the taxiway.

As far as I know, airfields are done in the island editing phase, they're basically configs for the island. They should work assuming they're set up properly.

I've spent a lot more time with this in mission editing, and it looks like as long as the aircraft starts on the taxiway, the pathfinding is appropriate.

If you put the aircraft in front of a hangar, say, it will turn on the most direct path to get to the taxiway, rather than following any actual taxi routes for the airports. In some cases, it can mean banging into other structures (like another hangar or something put in the field) which will impede further progress.