Sign in to follow this  
b00ce

B00ce's Utility Helicopters

Been fiddling with 3ds Max for a while, so these are mostly experiments to see what I can do and to get a good workflow with the program.

I'm making a UH1H and a UH-60M. I'll likely throw the UH1 in with the FIA because they're lacking an aircraft at the moment. The Mike model 60 will be NATO, I hate the Ghost hawk and I'm sure the Army will be using mikes well into the 2030's. Progress will be slow because I don't have much free time at the moment.

th_3dsmax2014-03-2320-54-22-31.png

th_3dsmax2014-02-1817-14-48-53.png

oh nice , keep it up :)

also dont forget to make the rotors detailed ;)

I want to, but I don't want to end up wasting detail that nobody will be able to see in all of it's glory. I will pay special attention to the rotor blur though. I'm thinking of making the whole head a proxy and blurring it, along with the PC rods, too.

sweet! looks like you are doing a fine job so far. i mean some wires would be interesting but i see no smoothing issues so far which implies some clean economic modelling ;D glad to see those classics being redone with the proper care. keep it up!

interesting how both are almsot at hte same state. are you modelling them simultaneously? just curious.

interesting how both are almsot at hte same state. are you modelling them simultaneously? just curious.

Thanks, and yes, I am. I get bored with one or stuck on something stupid and work on the other.

Some bad news. The 60 model took a dump and I can't open it. Looks like I'm starting from scratch... again...

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.jpg

Some bad news. The 60 model took a dump and I can't open it. Looks like I'm starting from scratch... again...

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/booce/ArmA%20II/addons/fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.jpg

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its alright though. I have staff duty tomorrow night, so I'll have some monster and junk food fueled progress in two days.

Sorry to hear that , better doing more saves (several separate files of the model) or enable auto save

that way you wont lose whole model again

Sorry to hear that , better doing more saves (several separate files of the model) or enable auto save

that way you wont lose whole model again

And Backup to other media drives :)

Its alright though. I have staff duty tomorrow night, so I'll have some monster and junk food fueled progress in two days.

Autoback-up should be enable by default in all 3ds max versions. Have a look over C:\Users\~winUserName~\Documents\3dsMax\autoback\ and see if you can open any of those 3 files there (should be 3 autoback-up files by default)

A word of advice: set a number of 7-10 autoback-ups(or even more if you are using more than one 3ds max instance at a time) at an interval of 10-20 minutes. Moreso, it is advisable to save incrementally (it's not like anyone will be running out of HDD space anymore). I have my max set to increment on each quick save (yes, i do end up with tons of files at the end of a project, but at least i can always go back n iterations if a needs be, and when i am happy i can always delete what is not needed anymore ;)

Been fiddling with 3ds Max for a while, so these are mostly experiments to see what I can do and to get a good workflow with the program.

I'm making a UH1H and a UH-60M. I'll likely throw the UH1 in with the FIA because they're lacking an aircraft at the moment. The Mike model 60 will be NATO, I hate the Ghost hawk and I'm sure the Army will be using mikes well into the 2030's. Progress will be slow because I don't have much free time at the moment.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/booce/ArmA%20II/addons/th_3dsmax2014-03-2320-54-22-31.png

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/booce/ArmA%20II/addons/th_3dsmax2014-02-1817-14-48-53.png

2030! Try 2050. Then we discover antigravity or reach singularity. NATO may need UH-1 in 2030 when the UH-60 reaches $23,759/flt hr.

I want to, but I don't want to end up wasting detail that nobody will be able to see in all of it's glory. I will pay special attention to the rotor blur though. I'm thinking of making the whole head a proxy and blurring it, along with the PC rods, too.

In that case I expect a highly detailed Jesus nut which can fail if direct fire is taken in game...

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Autoback-up should be enable by default in all 3ds max versions. Have a look over C:\Users\~winUserName~\Documents\3dsMax\autoback\ and see if you can open any of those 3 files there (should be 3 autoback-up files by default)

A word of advice: set a number of 7-10 autoback-ups(or even more if you are using more than one 3ds max instance at a time) at an interval of 10-20 minutes. Moreso, it is advisable to save incrementally (it's not like anyone will be running out of HDD space anymore). I have my max set to increment on each quick save (yes, i do end up with tons of files at the end of a project, but at least i can always go back n iterations if a needs be, and when i am happy i can always delete what is not needed anymore ;)

Don't forget to bump up the undo points too, IIRC the default is somewhere around 30-40 but you can set it at around 300.

Thanks for all of the advise guys.

Here's your tax dollars at work and the result of my over night monster and junk food binge. :p

th_3dsmax2014-03-2718-20-00-91.png

Thanks for all of the advise guys.

Here's your tax dollars at work and the result of my over night monster and junk food binge. :p

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/booce/ArmA%20II/addons/th_3dsmax2014-03-2718-20-00-91.png

Looks good man keep up the hard work and gotta love CQ!:yay: BTW what unit are you in? my unit would never allow us to have anything but some snacks and a ranger handbook to study level 1 stuff while on Staff Duty/CQ, WTB though that was a different story we could bring a tv and video games if we wanted lol.

More progress with the Huey, got busy with work and didn't have the energy to work on helicopters after spending 10 hours of working on helicopters. Needless to say, progress is slow.

th_3dsmax2014-07-1019-54-05-10.png th_3dsmax2014-07-1019-54-53-23.png th_3dsmax2014-07-1019-53-06-32.png

th_3dsmax2014-07-1019-55-44-48.png th_3dsmax2014-07-1019-58-05-16.png th_3dsmax2014-07-1019-56-52-55.png

Wow good job seems like it is a very good mesh you have made :-)

Keep up the good work! Looking great!!!!

Looking sharp man, though whats going on with the notch on the right window? Bit of a vertex slip? ;)

Edited by NodUnit

Looking sharp man, though whats going on with the notch on the right window? Bit of a vertex slip? ;)

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/images/uploaded-images/2010-9/18/102620.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Iraqi_air_force_UH-1H_II_Huey_helicopter.JPG

Seems the windows are asymmetric like that on the real aircraft. Dunno what the little tube sticking up out of the notch is for though.

Oh wow, how the heck did I miss that, nice eye for detail then. Hmmm...outside temp?

Edited by NodUnit