Sign in to follow this  
beavis_5000

Need help understanding Wasteland....

I played it for a few hours the other night and thought it was pretty cool.

I got geared up, stashed some guns from a Weapons Cache in an SUV and killed a couple of enemies. I decided to log out and go to bed and when I logged back in as a new spawn and found out not even my stashed weapons do not save. Pretty disappointing and made me feel like my whole 3-4 hours playing was a waste.

All the work you put into the game and fighting over missions seems pointless because nothing saves.

Am I missing something? I enjoyed my play time on Wastleland but I never want to play it again because I feel like its a waste of time. Nothing saves and that has ruined it for me.

Am I missing out on a feature that I have not yet discovered or is this pretty much just what Wasteland is??

There is nothing more to understand.

It's "As is"

1)Travel long distances pointlessly

2)Loot or buy guns (if u can)

3)Camp somewhere around gun-shop (alone or with other trolls)

4)die

5)repeat

If you are new to ARMA series join a serious clan to see the "more"

_This

It's a great way to just jump into a game and see some action. There are plenty of missions to do which bring enemy players together and most Wasteland servers have base building which also creates a point of attack/defend. It is most fun when played with other people so ask to join someone's group or keep an eye on the server messages for teamspeak details.

Most wasteland servers don't save ammo crates in order to prevent heavily armed groups from dominating all the time but you can save your current carried guns (some servers require you to go prone to do this). Sometimes you can lock building items but these will usually last only one server restart. Playing with others makes it a lot more worthwhile though

The entire point of it is to spawn, loot, kill. Nothing else. Tonic, the creator, would tell you the same thing. It's just something to kill time with, and is as pointless as it is creative.

Pointless to some, yes but that's what makes Arma great. If I don't like it then I play a different gamemode. I don't play or like Altis life but I still think it's a great example of what can be done with Arma. In the same way, I don't roleplay like real-life soldiers but if people want to do it then I respect that too and think it's great that Arma has made that possible.

I suppose the biggest draw for Wasteland is that it gives you dynamically created, PvP, squad-play battles which people seem to like going by the list of servers on Gametracker:

http://www.gametracker.com/search/arma3/#search

I played it for a few hours the other night and thought it was pretty cool.

I got geared up, stashed some guns from a Weapons Cache in an SUV and killed a couple of enemies. I decided to log out and go to bed and when I logged back in as a new spawn and found out not even my stashed weapons do not save. Pretty disappointing and made me feel like my whole 3-4 hours playing was a waste.

All the work you put into the game and fighting over missions seems pointless because nothing saves.

Am I missing something? I enjoyed my play time on Wastleland but I never want to play it again because I feel like its a waste of time. Nothing saves and that has ruined it for me.

Am I missing out on a feature that I have not yet discovered or is this pretty much just what Wasteland is??

There are also servers with save system on wasteland missions. On most servers this feature isnt enabled.

Serach for player save in server browser.

Some servers save just player equipment while more advanced ones also save vehicles,bases,player stats and money,player position.

You could say that Wasteland is a very "mild" survival-mod, with not so much emphasis on nutrition and all that, even tho there is hunger and thirst.

Other than that it is what the others have said. Spawn -> Kill/loot the enemy -> gear up -> camp a popular spot -> survive/die. rinse & repeat.

I don't really play wasteland anymore because most servers it seems that most are indy and the teams don't really have any interest in working together.

That being said I've had some really great large scale team on team battles in Wasteland that I just haven't had the pleasure of having in other game modes for Arma 3.

Build up a base and gather resources weapons/vehicles/base walls and then defend the base or else attack the other team. This can be really fun and rewarding and lays out some non linear warfare scenarios in real time that you just don't get playing "comp stomp" or "king of the hill" or what other game mode for arms 3? Ohhh there are none...zing!.(please don't say TacBF because there are exactly 0 players playing it right now).

It's cool when the team chat lights up to report a with excited reports of "column of enemy vehicles coming in from the north"

Sadly though I'm finding less and less team Vs Team and more people just playing lone wolf camping a gun store.

Wasteland is flawed in the way that people play it, but what multiplayer TvT game mode is better out there right now that has a server population over 3 players?

Edit: Some searching found a server playing CTI 11 players total in all North american servers. But this is the type of CTI where you hire additional troops and vehicles so you walk around with a mob of AI teammates. Regular CTI is pretty awesome.

Edited by Big_T

Sadly though I'm finding less and less team Vs Team and more people just playing lone wolf camping a gun store.

Wasteland is flawed in the way that people play it, but what multiplayer TvT game mode is better out there right now that has a server population over 3 players?

It can be frustrating when you play on your own, Wasteland is much better played with a squad of friends on mics but I've hopped onto Wasteland servers before and sent out some invites to the non-grouped players and made some new friends. Tip: If you can't invite a player then that's because he is already in a group. You meet some idiots too but that's the internet for you :)

I agree about the lack of good, low-maintenance PvP missions because shooting AI can get a bit dull and predictable after a while and doesnt get your heart pumping like you get from duelling with a human player

It can be frustrating when you play on your own, Wasteland is much better played with a squad of friends on mics but I've hopped onto Wasteland servers before and sent out some invites to the non-grouped players and made some new friends. Tip: If you can't invite a player then that's because he is already in a group. You meet some idiots too but that's the internet for you :)

I agree about the lack of good, low-maintenance PvP missions because shooting AI can get a bit dull and predictable after a while and doesnt get your heart pumping like you get from duelling with a human player

Yeah I have a feeling a new game mode will come out and be popular. I know there are a lot of players out there who would like to work passively on team play. (not really hop on TS or join a clan, but still work on a team), but since there are not many TvT servers they play solo on wasteland, or solo on altis life. I find myself doing that when I can't use mic or don't have much time to play.

I really had high hopes for TacBF as I think it is a realistic and intense TvT game style, I just wish it was native to Arma 3 Muliplayer and more people played it.