Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Quick Terrain Builder Tutorial

requiredAddons in cfgPatches with Stratis/Altis is missing; still it seems like P:\bin is outdated or P:\a3\ is missing stuff

best join the terrain group chat in Skype to let ppl give you a hand

;2730847']requiredAddons in cfgPatches with Stratis/Altis is missing;

added requiredAddons to the config --> works! THANKS!

When I go to processing to select the layers.cfg file and hit Generate layers, I get these errors:

22:03:52: Can't load image from file 'P:\abc\abc_sample\source\mapLegend.png': file does not exist.

22:03:52: Layers generation - PNGOVerlapV3Style.cpp bool V3PictureDataMod::LoadFromFile( const char* filename = "P:\abc\abc_sample\source\mapLegend.png" ) Unable to open the image file.

22:03:52: Layers generation - Unable to load the file "P:\abc\abc_sample\source\mapLegend.png".

I'm trying to use the sample map to figure this weird, overly complicated program out. I followed the instructions exactly, and even redid them twice to make sure. Please help, I'm horribly lost. Please and thanks!

I am having same problem with Terrain Builder, got everything down up until the point i need to generate layers under MapFrame properties....

My message reads " Can't load image from file 'P:\ file does not exist."

I've tried changing paths under tool/properties.... which changes the message but i still get it.... my map is located P:\Esseker

can anyone help please

I am having same problem with Terrain Builder, got everything down up until the point i need to generate layers under MapFrame properties....

My message reads " Can't load image from file 'P:\ file does not exist."

I've tried changing paths under tool/properties.... which changes the message but i still get it.... my map is located P:\Esseker

can anyone help please

I was havving that problem, I had my arma 3 tools installed in a secondary drive. Installing in c drive, in default steam directory resolved all my problems with p drive.

Now here is my problem. I have been trying to add roads to my maps for months, but I don´t know how to do it. And I´m starting to get crazy!!!!

I can see the map ingame but I can´t figure out how to see the roads. I followed these steps, but no matter what I do, the won´t show ingame,but they are visible in buldozer.

http://tactical.nekromantix.com/wiki/doku.php?id=arma3:terrain:making-roads-in-terrain-builder

there are some errors in the roadslib.cgf posted in that page. For example:

class Road0001

{

width = 10;

mainStrTex = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_main_roa d_ca.paa"; // lowercase!

mainTerTex = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_main_roa d_end_ca.paa";

mainMat = "a3\roads_f\roads_ae\data\surf_roadtarmac_main_roa d.rvmat";

map = "road";

order=1;

};

I solved it. It was a binarizing problem. In addonbuilder,in the list of files to copy directly; it was taking "*.dbf" as "*.d-bf", so it was missing in the pbo. Now they finally show ingame

Edited by ikerdo
solved

Well my default steam directory is D:\Steam.... don't tell me that i have to move all those Gigabytes to system drive C:

When I run thr Arma3p config file to set up P, when it tries to install buldozer the next line says access denied followed by fail in the next line. press any key to continue. Any fix for this that I am missing?

Also when I try to run TerrainBuilder in the "P" drive it gives me the path does not exist error. Any way to fix this as well?

When I run thr Arma3p config file to set up P, when it tries to install buldozer the next line says access denied followed by fail in the next line. press any key to continue. Any fix for this that I am missing?

Also when I try to run TerrainBuilder in the "P" drive it gives me the path does not exist error. Any way to fix this as well?

Had similar problems. What did help me, was to remove the tools via steam completly, remove leftovers by hand, reinstall tools via steam and then run Mikeros tool as admin (!) again.

Jens

I wonder why no one in here talks about the „roads_poligons“ files inside the roads folder.

TB creates them, when I save my roads to shapefiles.

And there must be a way to use these poligons shapefiles to smooth roads via script.

Or is it just me who don’t have a clue what to do with these files.:o

I wonder why no one in here talks about the „roads_poligons“ files inside the roads folder.

TB creates them, when I save my roads to shapefiles.

I haven't seen those files, I only get .DBF, .PRJ, .SHX and .SHP. Are you using the Arma 2 road pieces by any chance?

Had similar problems. What did help me, was to remove the tools via steam completly, remove leftovers by hand, reinstall tools via steam and then run Mikeros tool as admin (!) again.

Jens

I tried this about a half dozen times, even started from scratch re downloading all files required from dev heaven and re installing arma 3 tools each attempt.

Still getting access denied when "arma3p" does it's thing. Terrain builder still won't run out of the P: drive. same path does not exist error... I checked the path and it is correct :(

hello, and thanks in advance for any help.

Im a noob at terrain building.

First off, when i do the Jakerod tut, i can see the map in bulldozer just fine. everything works fine until i get to the part where i pack the pbo.( i did not add building or anything extra) this seems to work and i add the mod folder to my A3 directory (just like any other mod). I can start the game with it, but it doesnt show up in the editor (not in the list of maps).

Using the A3 open source map i can get it working in the game fine. I tried to "reverse engineer" that pbo. when i extract it and compare it to the files i am supposed to repack for Jakerod's tut, there seems to be stuff missing.

Basically, i need help with getting jakerod's tut to work ingame. Some elaboration on what files are what and stuff. Its hard to learn when your just copy and pasting things without knowing what they are

anybody willing to help?

Nevermind. isnt that funny, right after you make your post, you figure it out.

Baically what i did was use Jakerods tut with this:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22065

and now i just use PBOmanager to pack it with my heigh, mask, and sat, and it works.

Edited by Cupcake_Actual

I got a problem with "generate layers" in the processing field.

Every time i push the "generate layers" button i got an issue.

This is the issue:

Layers generation - unable to load the file "P:\".

In the details he said :

18:38:45: Can't load image from file 'P:\': file does not exist.
18:38:45: Layers generation - PNGOVerlapV3Style.cpp    bool V3PictureDataMod::LoadFromFile( const char* filename = "P:\" ) Unable to open the image file.
18:38:45: Layers generation - Unable to load the file "P:\".

I dont know which image he want to load.

I read many posts here but none of these helped me.

Hope u can help me with my problem.

you forgot to select your folder. it cant just be the p drive it needs to be your project folder

unless of course you didnt set up your P drive properly

I had that error gonzo. I was missing a " } " in layers config.

Jimbop ive got the same xD But now he say :

20:41:41: Can't load image from file 'P:\testmap\source\mapLegend.png': file does not exist.
20:41:41: Layers generation - PNGOVerlapV3Style.cpp    bool V3PictureDataMod::LoadFromFile( const char* filename = "P:\testmap\source\mapLegend.png" ) Unable to open the image file.
20:41:41: Layers generation - Unable to load the file "P:\testmap\source\mapLegend.png".

But the mapLegend.png is in there and has the same name.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Ok i solved it but now he say:

Layers generation - Bad texel mapping for surface mask image

I dont know what does it mean.

So now ive got it .

Arma 3 displays the map in the Editor but now hey say:

Too many objects in Grid 15,15

Somebody wrote that mean that i has to many objects outside the map....but i dont placed any objects on the map.

So, im using l3dt to generate my heighmap. 8192x8192 so that it isnt all jagged when i do intricate terrain pieces. but when i put it in terrain builder and it goes in as 81920x81920. thats tooo big! if i scale it down to the size i want 10240x10240, it makes my hills turn into gigantic mountains and it looks terrible. any help?

I would suggest not using a height map of 8192x8182. While tb can input one that size it's pushing the limits of a3 and will probably crash the game. If you want 10240x10240 you could try 4096x2.5( although that may even be a lot to render once you have all your objects down) or 2048x2048x5(which is probably better)

right. i agree 8192 would be too big. im wanting it to be about 10 km x 10 km. the reason i use 8192 to render my heightmap is because if i use lower resolution it is all jagged and atari graphics. so i scale it down in tb, but this only changes the size of the, the elevation stays the same. so i have a much smaller map, (1024) but my elevations are the same from the 8192 heightmap. basically giving me giant cartoon looking mountains.

Yes if you want to alter a height map I would suggest doing it in l3dt where you can then change the min/max height values to cut down on the problem you are having

can anyone help me with my last post?

So now ive got it .

Arma 3 displays the map in the Editor but now hey say:

Too many objects in Grid 15,15

Somebody wrote that mean that i has to many objects outside the map....but i dont placed any objects on the map.