Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Quick Terrain Builder Tutorial

hmmm still no luck :(

getting this in my .rpt

No product.bin found, using defaults for a core engine.

This happens for me too.

@ Jakerod

First of all a big thank you for your effort and taking all the criticism from people out there.

Followed your abc_sample and it works... but in Buldozer i can´t see any Sat-texture. Also in the processing tab of the mapframe the "convert into paa..." is greyed out --> only .png files in my layers folder.

The "TB" newly created folders don´t seem to be used anyway... apart from the cache folder.

After a complete deinstall and reinstall of the Tools and a run of A3p by mikero i started a try with my own data. It worked out quite well ...apart from the missing Sat in buldozer. So i deleted my project and retried from scratch and now i´m not even able to create the layers because of the "Default Satellite File is Missing" error.

Testing your tip at the moment....

thanks again...

I changed my surface mask for roads, and now when I try to re-generate the layers it instantly crashes.

I already tried making a new project with the same files, still crashes :/

No matter what layer I choose to generate, it crashes.

Has anyone had any luck importing roads in .shp format yet?

I'm trying to import roads.shp into TB to see them in Bulozer and TB. The roads.shp works fine ingame when the terrain is binarized and in-game, but loading it to TB won't work. When trying to import Shapes, the error is:

load vector data into project - Cannot transform from file spatial into V4 project spatial. Import failed!

Yes I couldn't get my roads from gm to tb either. I only tried once then was doing other things tho.

Same for me. Tried different projections and whatsoever...did not work.

Meanwhile, did anyone have success with adding A3 objects to TB and showing them in Buldozer?

Additionally I guess the way to work World Tools -> TB would be to export from WT not with .exp but .txt. But then TB won't allow that. I guess I'm wrong about that being the way to import objects. In V3 we had the Scripts menu to work with all that good stuff. Can't seem to find anything related to Scripts in TB?

Have you tried creating a polygon right clicking and filling it with objects? It's a pretty awesome feature.

Egil you should join the skype terrain makers channel :)

You can see a3 objects in buldozer with mikeros tools

hmmm still no luck :(

getting this in my .rpt

No product.bin found, using defaults for a core engine.

Not sure on that one. I haven't had that problem. Only thing I can think of is run addon builder once first before trying to connect, use buldozer as admin, and don't run terrain builder from Steam, use the terrainbuilder.exe in the tools folder instead. Not sure what else to tell you really.

This happens for me too.

@ Jakerod

First of all a big thank you for your effort and taking all the criticism from people out there.

Followed your abc_sample and it works... but in Buldozer i can´t see any Sat-texture. Also in the processing tab of the mapframe the "convert into paa..." is greyed out --> only .png files in my layers folder.

The "TB" newly created folders don´t seem to be used anyway... apart from the cache folder.

After a complete deinstall and reinstall of the Tools and a run of A3p by mikero i started a try with my own data. It worked out quite well ...apart from the missing Sat in buldozer. So i deleted my project and retried from scratch and now i´m not even able to create the layers because of the "Default Satellite File is Missing" error.

Testing your tip at the moment....

thanks again...

Convert into paa is greyed out for me sometimes too. I haven't determined what the cause of that is yet. As far as the buldozer thing goes, try using the methods I mentioned above your quote.

I changed my surface mask for roads, and now when I try to re-generate the layers it instantly crashes.

I already tried making a new project with the same files, still crashes :/

No matter what layer I choose to generate, it crashes.

Are all the materials defined in the layers.cfg correctly? Is it possible you have too many colors in your mask? I don't know if either of those have ever caused a crash for me but I know accidentally having too many colors (200 shades of blue for example) tends to happen a lot accidentally. Did anything else change?

Any youtube tutorials in the future?

I don't intend on making any. I hate following them for things like this and I don't have the software sorry. I do think I saw someone else mentioning making one though. Not sure if they are going to go through with it or how long it will take if they do.

OK complete reinstall of tools and Extracted all the A3 again and its working now :)

Good to hear!

Not sure if they are going to go through with it or how long it will take if they do.

That was me, and I am! Im only covering terrain generation from blank map to complete heightmap for import to tb, im hoping others will pick up from there!

Use Mikero's pboProject or Addon Builder to pack the terrain

Doesn't work. I tried these settings:

unbenannt-3hncpx.jpg

I moved the abc_sample.pbo into my addons-folder, but the terrain doesnt show in the worlds list.

After looking at your config, I found this:

worldName = "abc\abc_sample\abc_sample.wrp";

But there is no abc.pbo. So I changed it to "abc_sample\abc_sample.wrp". Now the terrain shows up in the list. But if I try to open it, this error appears:

unbenannt-50jf2p.jpg

Again it wants to load files from abc.pbo. I dont think Im supposed to create one, because in the config.cpp it says: "fileName = "abc_sample.pbo";". Do I have to create a second pbo for the textures?

edit: "Bulldozer not responding"-error is back. Too frustrating, I give up and wait until BI releases a working version.

Edited by Migebuff

Doesn't work. I tried these settings:

http://abload.de/img/unbenannt-3hncpx.jpg

I moved the abc_sample.pbo into my addons-folder, but the terrain doesnt show in the worlds list.

After looking at your config, I found this:

But there is no abc.pbo. So I changed it to "abc_sample\abc_sample.wrp". Now the terrain shows up in the list. But if I try to open it, this error appears:

http://abload.de/img/unbenannt-50jf2p.jpg

Again it wants to load files from abc.pbo. I dont think Im supposed to create one, because in the config.cpp it says: "fileName = "abc_sample.pbo";". Do I have to create a second pbo for the textures?

edit: "Bulldozer not responding"-error is back. Too frustrating, I give up and wait until BI releases a working version.

Ah sorry. I should've explained it better. You want to pack abc/abc_sample. Don't give up. It does work. There are plenty of people who have it working right now. If you want further help, add me on skype (jpauling1411), and I will add you into the Map Makers Channel. It may take me a day or so to do because I have to work tomorrow. Stick with it.

Thx, I uninstalled/reinstalled everything several times and somehow it started working again. Packing the abc folder worked, but I had to use Mikeros Pboproject instead of addonbuilder.

arma3-2014-03-24-12-5g2k8t.jpg

... but I had to use Mikeros Pboproject instead of addonbuilder

Hehe. Should use that anyway. It's way better of a tool.

some tutorial for how to import arma2 island project, to arma3 terrain builder ??

i have an island in visitor3 for A2 (finished).

so far....

From terrain builder FILE/IMPORT/terrains , i get empty my island (i hope, because i have a problem with buldozer and i cant see nothing 3d)

From FILE/IMPORT/MAPS , i choose my wrp file and then the program ask for project georeferenciation....

on Source attributes is empty,

on Projection properties i think that i underdand what i choose,

Under this is the Localisation Options

and is 0.0 by default.... if i leave it as it is , i get a warning for easting/northing has to be between 165000 - 835000 (what is this ???? ), i choose 165000 both and the program start assempling and loading objects about 4 minutes.... then ask for this "Do you want to import also imagery data?", i choose yes and then

on template libraries now i have three lists.

island_wrp_circ (39)

island_wrp_rect (544)

island_wrp_roads(0)

if i choose my pew file then i get

island_wrp_circ (38)

island_wrp_rect (628)

island_wrp_roads(90)

in the lists i see all arma2 objects with an orange X that means fail to locate (i think this is normal because of arma2 objects)

in map i see my island with all objects as masked zones from far , and on zoom as red dots

i see also my elevation contours.

i think that my island is here as terrain.

how to replace arma2 objects to arma3 objects?? (some tool/script for replace ??? in visitor you can run scripts for many jobs)

how to set satelite maps and masks. from File/Import/satellite images i choose my sat image and i see it on left lower corner.... i found the way...

how the roads , trees ,

now when i press Tools/Connect to buldozer , i get error message and the buldozer not start (i have a threat allready for this , no luck for solution at the moment, )

Edited by dragonsyr

thanks for this tutorial

i search "how to" for create sat map for arma3 i have no problem with dem file to convert in xyz with globalmapper , but i don't have find good sat map (i have test universal map downloader) i search to create high res sat map for island (75km²) in 500 meter (10000x10000 mini)

thanks for this tutorial

i search "how to" for create sat map for arma3 i have no problem with dem file to convert in xyz with globalmapper , but i don't have find good sat map (i have test universal map downloader) i search to create high res sat map for island (75km²) in 500 meter (10000x10000 mini)

Good lord. At that point you'd be better just to generate a sat in l3dt to use. It's gonna be massively stretched anyway to cover the area.

There's not really anyway to procure a "good sat map" with a terrain that size as the higher you go in vertices cell sizes the larger the terrain and thus in tern the larger the sat would have to be to get even a 1:1 pixel per meter resolution.

Just to be clear tho what's your height map size? And you meant 500 meter grid cells?

Edited by M1lkm8n

altitude 500 meter cell grid 256x256

l3dt generate sat map with import file? i have l3dt pro(free trial 90days) ^^

Hi Yuma

I'm just trying to understand correctly to make sure I'm telling you the correct info.

By heightmap I mean the image be it, a greyscale image, an xyz file, or contour line image of your terrain.

So say you had an xyz file of your terrain that was from l3dt that was 2048pixelsx2048pixels(which is the max size in free trial) and you did your 256meter x 256meter grid cells. That would give you a total size of 524,288 meter squares terrain.

That's incredibly large and you can't produce a sat map that would give you any great detail because say you wanted a 1:1 pixel per meter sat you would need a image 524,288 pixel squared which is pretty much impossible. You say you went for the next best thing. A 20480x20480 image. That's still only one pixel per every 25 meters in game. Not very high detailed. That's what I'm getting at. Hopefully I understood you correctly and now you understand what I mean as well

xyz file si create to convert dem file (aster) with globalmapper for yxz file

i have bmp with universal map donwloader for my island 4096x4096 for 24mo ....

i search to create sat map 10000x10000 pixel for 120mo (for exemple your sat.bmp in samplemap is big )

i search good process