neofit

Episode 3, "Game Over" mission

BIS producers. The next time one of the mission designers runs over to you and says, "hey, I've got a great idea to add tension to this mission!! Lets disable SAVES". Please take a large wet fish, such as a cod or sea bass, and slap them repeatedly over the face shouting "NO NO NO NO, get back to your desk".

Wasting the precious time of players repeating the same mission areas because we cant save does NOT add tension. Frustration? Yes. Anger? Yes, Resentment? Yes.

At least give us the option.

To anyone who thinks that disabling saves is a good idea, all I can say is MANIC MINER!!!

ps. Does anyone know what the mission file is called so I can edit it and play from the editor. No more self flagellation for me today. I can save or I don't play.

Well, I think the point of no saves is that it doesn't matter if you survive or not. That's the campaign ending, whetever you escape or not, the campaign is finished...

For the ones that are desperate to pass it, I haven't tried, but I guess it should work, just go swimming as far as you can from the island and eventually you should finish the mission.

Good question, i think that the fatigue system isn't applied to swimming. That would result in a drowning/hypothermian if we stayed to long in the water or swum great distances.

Well, I think the point of no saves is that it doesn't matter if you survive or not. That's the campaign ending, whetever you escape or not, the campaign is finished...

The same can be said about every mission. Hey, it doesn't matter if you die or not in episode 1 mission 1, you'll die eventually and the world will go on without you. Oh, you want to get more content out the campaign?

Please fix it so we can save. I want to get more content out of that mission.

Same for me, save function disabled. Starting the final mission i was really excited about the survival factor of it, great atmosphere. But then finding save-option was disabled. After some attempts i got tired of starting all over again, hearing the same radio chat over and over again. That really ruined not only this final mission but the whole experience. I then took the quad bike and went up the coast, found a boat and made it out alive. That was just to see the campaine completed. Thank you, campaine ruined.

Disabling the save option is just stupid and doesn't make it better in any way. There are so many reasons you need to save: Bugs, dumb AI, Real Life calling, Windows/PC failures

I just don't understand why BIS is thinking it needs to regulate players by doing this ? Players are able to decide for themselves to turn it off if they like.

(It's the same with adding stupid time limits to so many missions. Instead of enjoying a mission, you're forced to run and fight to get it done in time. It's just suicidal as you're taking risks that are way beyond being realistic.)

If anybody managed to find the campain file to edit, please leave a message here. I really like to play it again and enjoy it this time.

^^^

I agree with gambla here, there needs to be a save implemented for "Game Over" mission. A very easy fix for BI to patch in.

I've found the file, unpbo'ed, deleted the line, re-pbo'ed, seems working fine now.

I can finish this mission without the saves, but with those saves I can explore the whole island!

this mission is very much like wasteland. the mission will be much easier if u can get that hunter HMG @197182, approach from the north using the tall grass as concealment, once u reach the hunter kill the CSAT soldiers up the hill, one of them has a laser designator which can do thermo. the hunter can help u clear most infantry from a distance, just make sure u clear the AT and MG folks before getting close. now you can gather the NATO and local squad.

the situations at the cities and airports are actually not that bad, there are NATO troops all over the place and with some help they are strong enough hold their ground.

there is a static titan AT launcher at 198167 and titan AA launcher at 178181, once u collect them u should be able to defend against hard targets. u can find plenty of armed trucks, APC, tanks, and even artillery all over the island. some maybe damaged or bingo fuel so better bring the repair and fuel trucks along. however the tracked vehicles like tanks eat a lot of fuels and they can empty ur reserves before you know it. there are also an ammo truck at the main airport.

with captured tanks, hunters and APCs i was able to almost recapture the green back's territories at the north east before being shot up by some MG. it took me 5+ hours and i am lucky that the game didn't crash.

i could have at least explore the whole island if not recapture it given enough time, the problem is without save it is essentially impossible... if the enemies don't kill u, ur computer will. i honestly don't understand why the folks at BI spend all the effort to develop such an awesome mission but don't seem to want the players to enjoy the fruit of their effort. :confused:

I've found the file, unpbo'ed, deleted the line, re-pbo'ed, seems working fine now.

Hey gambla, can you share where the file is, and what line you deleted please. Thanks.

hi evil-organ,

wasn't sure if it's legit to post here:

1) unpbo "missions_f_epc.pbo"

2) open the "initMission.hpp" in mission-folder "C_EB.Altis"

3) remove line ["NoSaves"] call BIS_fnc_disableSaving

4) re-pbo

notes:

- Make now and then copys of your savegame-folder after some progress. If you die in the mission, there's no "resume-option". You need to restart the mission, then save and exit.

Then copy+paste one of your savegame-folder-copys back in. Restart ArmA, the "resume-option" should be available now.

- you may need to set Steam to "offline" as it may update the files again, not sure about that

hi evil-organ,

4) re-pbo

notes:

- Make now and then copys of your savegame-folder after some progress. If you die in the mission, there's no "resume-option". You need to restart the mission, then save and exit.

Then copy+paste one of your savegame-folder-copys back in. Restart ArmA, the "resume-option" should be available now.

- you may need to set Steam to "offline" as it may update the files again, not sure about that

Hey gambla, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

hi evil-organ,

4) re-pbo

notes:

Dear gambla, which tool you used to re-pbo? I used PBO manager and BinPBO but after did the above steps, there was a pop-up message "Addon 'A3_Missions_F_Curator' requires addon 'A3_Missions_F_EPC" when I started the game and the whole WIN episode didn't load.

Hello, I am very interested in the sandbox play style of arma 3, so there for I am looking forward for an save option for the "game over" mission, is there like a mod that can enable save on "game over" mission?

Dear gambla, which tool you used to re-pbo? I used PBO manager and BinPBO but after did the above steps, there was a pop-up message "Addon 'A3_Missions_F_Curator' requires addon 'A3_Missions_F_EPC" when I started the game and the whole WIN episode didn't load.

hi airborne, i was using "pbo manager v.1.0 beta - basic version"

Hello, would it be possible for you guys to upload the edited mission file and for us players that would like to save during the last mission to download and replace our original files??

hi airborne, i was using "pbo manager v.1.0 beta - basic version"

That strange... what have I done wrong?

I have unlimited save enabled, and I can't save once!! Also, I can't use medikits and toolkits, although I am carrying them, and I can't start up the engine for any civilian vehicles. Any help?

I wanted to save so badly, just so I can explore the whole island. I played for 5 hours straight in one go, had a convoy of 2x hunter GMG and an mraps but got killed with one rpg out of nowhere.

Those temptest repair truck found at the Dome is super useful!

I edited file you are talking about, but still there is no save option. Why? Can you upload .pbo file?

Actually it 25, 50 and 75% depending on a distance from the starting point. And the boats and helis are not the only vehicles you can use to escape... :)

What else could it be?

Something with the submarine object?

first time didnt go to dome but tried to help all friends... I was doing at 4x speed since there was no saves I thought there was no dangers... died close to the swamp LOL the game crashed for the first time with the words the end LOL didn't get the achievement.

second time tried to swim... it was taking too long, tried to find out if I could breathe underwater... I can... for a bit... then I die :P but got the achievement

third time (I want to go to sleep) I put it on recruit and with the quad bike went to the closest port (northwest from where we start) running close to the water. found the port, there were enemies at least a vehicle with guns ... went for a swim... thought of swiming to the attack boat but it was a bit far and probably it would have kill me, so I went to the port by water and there were 2 speedboats? there lol bam caught one and escaped.

it says 3 small sentences like: finally managed to escape... something I don't recall... what now? THE END

still thinking of trying escaping with friends... maybe they also say something? but also wanting to go do other stuff like challenges, scenarios, online and mods.

still I really enjoyed the game, more the 2 first campaigns, the friendly ai when not scripted was a bit annoying, but the rest was really amazing.

Thank you

So was it a bug that someone in the start of the thread could save, or is it a setting somewhere?

unless you mess with config files you can't save.

hi evil-organ,

4) re-pbo

notes:

I've done exactly that but if i replace the original file with the modified one arma 3 starts as a Free Steam Version and locks the campaign. What did i do wrong?