Sign in to follow this  
the1freeman

AI difficulty after latest patch

The latest patch that introduced the "win" episode of the campaign also changed the difficulty options, in particular the enemy/friendly skill bars have been removed for a unified AI skill setting.

Now I don't know if some kid abused it and played on 100/0 for friendlies (still not a good reason), but I think it was better before.

The problem is that friendly AI is just plain stupid. I've been playing this series since OFP and I felt like Friendlies needed a ~10 point boost to balance them out with enemies in A3.

They are simply not able to carry out orders correctly and can't hit a guy walking 3m in front of them looking the other way.

This is a tactical shooter, it shouldn't force you into "lone action heroing" because your team is plain retarded.

Now if I want harder enemy bots my team gets proportionally more stupid.

Edited by the1freeMan

The latest patch that introduced the "win" episode of the campaign also changed the difficulty options, in particular the enemy/friendly skill bars have been removed for a unified AI skill setting.

Now I don't know if some kid abused it and played on 100/0 for friendlies (still not a good reason), but I think it was better before.

The problem is that friendly AI is just plain stupid. I've been playing this series since OFP and I felt like Friendlies needed a ~10 point boost to balance them out with enemies in A3.

They are simply not able to carry out orders correctly and can't hit a guy walking 3m in front of them looking the other way.

This is a tactical shooter, it shouldn't force you into "lone action heroing" because your teem is plain retarded.

Now if I want harder enemy bots my team gets proportionally more stupid.

More information can be found here - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169122-AI-Configuration-feedback

The AI bugs and issues or unbalanced mission design should not be "fixed" via the difficulty settings.

This is a tactical shooter, it shouldn't force you into "lone action heroing" because your team is plain retarded.

This exactly. I usually find it easier to lone wolf, rather than trying to keep my brain dead ai alive ... so tactical ... NOT! (playing since OFP here as well)

With the campaign, I'm in serious trouble since the latest difficulty settings changes (i.e. patch 1.14). It seems like the precision is always very high. I tried going to "Custom" AI difficulty and set precision to something as low as 0.20 (skill 0.55) and they were still headshotting me at ludicrous distances, while standing and one eye bleeding.

Created a FT ticket: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=18061

EDIT: As a workaround, if you lower skill to 0.40 with precision 0.20 it gets more "human-like", specially since they take many many rounds before they drop. It seems like precision is very dependent on the skill setting; as long skill is >0.5 it seems like they're unhumanly accurate, if you go below 0.5 it feels better; not sure if the precision setting has any part of it at all.

Edited by Fireball
corrected actual skill setting, added note for workaround

With the campaign, I'm in serious trouble since the latest difficulty settings changes (i.e. patch 1.14). It seems like the precision is always very high. I tried going to "Custom" AI difficulty and set precision to something as low as 0.20 (skill around 0.40) and they were still headshotting me at ludicrous distances, while standing and one eye bleeding.

Same here, getting constantly head-shotted from stupid distances ... so I've given up on the game for now, it's kind of the last straw for me, I'm just tired of spending half my gaming time trying to make this game fun and playable, and most of the rest of the time getting frustrated at the sheer stupidity and mad accuracy of the ai ...

The ai desperately needs improving ... but not but by turning it into superhuman laser snipers ... by making it follow orders, and being more tactical!

(P.S. by now I've given up believing it will ever happen)

maybe bis will add fire open line ranges. normals its 200 with no scope weapons and 300 with scopes - for a normal infantry group. - the scopes are all to big in the zoom size in arma 3^^ here are all soldiers use scopes for DMR :D

maybe this will help a little. if the ai has fire open ranges and fire only first outside this ranges with normal weapons after you or a group member shot at the ai.

I think the current skill sliders are fine.If friendly ai is supposed to be better than enemy or vice versa, the mission maker should be the one to make that happen.

But having skill sliders for friendly and enemy does nothing to make this more of a tactical shooter.

The AI bugs and issues or unbalanced mission design should not be "fixed" via the difficulty settings.

Precisely.

All that being said, the precision slider doesn't have enough effect on ai accuracy, as mentioned in the ai configuration thread.

I was playing Adapt on Novice AI level today, and I really enjoyed it. Novice is just the sweet spot. My friendlies were able to kill enemies, and enemies were able to kill me and my friendlies, but not instantly, which created interesting fire-fights. It was challenging in a fun way.

the ai in your player bubble is all time better than the other ai. the ai in your bubble becomes more performance ;)

therefore drives a ai in your vehicle or in a nearby follow vehicle better than the 3-4 etc. vehicle in your convoy.

you can see this in stalled vehicles, that they retract only when you come closer.

I was playing Adapt on Novice AI level today, and I really enjoyed it. Novice is just the sweet spot. My friendlies were able to kill enemies, and enemies were able to kill me and my friendlies, but not instantly, which created interesting fire-fights. It was challenging in a fun way.

Try this again, when you're alone, e.g. in the scouting missions.

Teammates are stupid just by themselves. When I see them standing to fire at someone that's standing on the belly makes my laugh and kill them myself. Same goes for when they: chose to look at a wall or in complete opposite direction of the enemy, put their blacks at a open area and face towards it, cannot driver at all, cannot do... well, almost anything other than shooting you through grass and other stuff like that. At least that slider for the opposing teams AI, could solve a little bit of it.

There is a reason why all games are using a lot of very scripting AI: it's the only way that it works properly!

Try this again, when you're alone, e.g. in the scouting missions.

Where you'll find enemy AI standing still and barely reacting to you. :yay:

LE>

At around 6:00 min. Looks like exactly what ArmA needs as an AI, WAY better that what we have today, at least in most departments.

Edited by calin_banc

Where you'll find enemy AI standing still and barely reacting to you. :yay:

That's actually mostly a mission/scripting issue, not the other way around. I mean of course when they do react.

It's still the same fundamental problem -> bad AI (or properly speaking, early BETA game rushed through the doors) and by no means "much smarter than other games AI" like so many user tend to extol. As a player I couldn't care less what's going on behind the bits of data, but I do care what's presented to me and by that, the AI is a game breaking element, like it always was in vanilla ArmA/OFP.

PS: Don't mention mods, the community should NOT fix your game, more so when good mods were available on the webs, but you as a producer, chose to ignore them.

Edited by calin_banc

It's still the same fundamental problem -> bad AI (or properly speaking, early BETA game rushed through the doors) and by no means "much smarter than other games AI" like so many user tend to extol. As a player I couldn't care less what's going on behind the bits of data, but I do care what's presented to me and by that, the AI is a game breaking element, like it always was in vanilla ArmA/OFP.

PS: Don't mention mods, the community should NOT fix your game, more so when good mods were available on the webs, but you as a producer, chose to ignore them.

+1 ... very true.

Speaking of patches/updates, I bought box v1.12 AA3 a few weeks ago but last week I noticed it had become v1.14 so presumably Steam has auto-updated it and given me Wipeout and Neophron jets.

But I'm not sure whether auto-updates are a good thing as perhaps it'd be better for Steam to ask us first whether we want to update.

That way we could opt to decline the update for a month or two so that we could hear how other people are getting on with it and THEN decide whether we want it.

What do members think?

And is there a way to block the Steam auto-updates, I can't find a "block" button to click?

@PoorOldSpike

Yes, there is a way for a user to stop Steam from automatically updating your games.

1) Bring up Steam

2) Under 'Library' go to 'All Games'

3) Right-click on whichever game you desire

4) Left-click 'Properties' and the 'GameName - Properties' window will pop up

5) Left-click on the 'Updates' tab

6) Set the 'Automatic Updates' and 'Background downloads' properties to whatever you desire via their respective drop-down menus

Hope this helps! :o

- S-G-M

The new settings seem perfect to me. Both enemies and friendlies are accurate given good conditions. I've beaten the first two campaign missions without any instant headshots from long range. Usually the enemy has to draw a bead before he starts hitting.

Yeah I find the ai to be pretty balanced as well. But I still think that the precision slider should have more of an effect so players that disagree with me and want less accurate ai, can get it. Right now the slider doesn't have enough weight.

More information can be found here - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169122-AI-Configuration-feedback

What other option do we have? Even official missions and campaign missions don't work right without being able to balance friendly vs opfor AI. I'm playing through the campaign right now from the start and it makes no sense that in every engagement over half of your friendly AI is wiped out. I'm in the second mission of the campaign and have just linked up with my squad to move to camp Maxwell. Every engagement in the forest wipes out most of the friendly AI. Is that the design?