Sign in to follow this  
raven_jj

Agile Helicopters

28w01op.jpg

This simple mod changes config values of all helicopters to make them more agile and true to life. I've tried to base on values from manuals, technical documentation and, where I couldn't find any, air-show and promotional videos. I've toned the maneuverability down, because there's no stalling and other flight mechanics that normally limit helicopter capabilities. For that, we'll have to wait for the Helicopters DLC.

The mod is modular and should be compatible with most other mods.

Added or changed values:

maxSpeed

liftForceCoef

cyclicAsideForceCoef

cyclicForwardForceCoef

backRotorForceCoef

Download link

Edited by Raven_JJ
Updated addon version

New mod v1.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@agile_littlebird.png

@ Raven_JJ ;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

I cant tell you in words how happy I am to see this! :D

Great work!

Very cool mod. Will you be able to perform the same thing with bigger helicopter ?

Yes, but I'd have to spend some time on research.

Range, climbing rate and max speed are easy, but finding out how fast (in seconds) a helicopter can safely do a 360 spin using it's rudder, do a loop and a barrel roll is much harder.

If anyone knows where I can find such data for other helicopters (safe pitch, yaw and roll speeds), or knows youtube videos showing their capabilities, I'd be grateful.

I see that SixUpdater signed my addon. If anyone is interested in a bikey, let me know.

I don't know why bis did not increase agility of helicopters in the vanilla version (it's better that is was on alpha but...)

as you can see, In real Life a little bird is really agile (and I suppose that the pilot don't use 100 % of the agility)

the biggest problem is that the helicopter drops too slowly when collective is decreased and raises too slowly when it's increased

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=1970

So Quick stop without gain altitude in vanila is not as easy as in real life !

In combat, it is really important to be able to stop without gain altitude because you must stay under the radar coverage.

Edited by gonza

I don't know why bis did not increase agility of helicopters in the vanilla version

I for one start to think bis really don't care what fans like us think anymore. They don't even put the damn pedal and collective animation to these toys!

Really enjoyed this mod!

Yes, but I'd have to spend some time on research.

Range, climbing rate and max speed are easy, but finding out how fast (in seconds) a helicopter can safely do a 360 spin using it's rudder, do a loop and a barrel roll is much harder.

If anyone knows where I can find such data for other helicopters (safe pitch, yaw and roll speeds), or knows youtube videos showing their capabilities, I'd be grateful.

I see that SixUpdater signed my addon. If anyone is interested in a bikey, let me know.

Sounds good ! :)

Thanks for your support, but as for throttle, flaring and joystick input issues, I wouldn't get my hopes up high. This mod is the first mod for Arma I've ever made, I've exported my first .pho three days ago, I've learned how to sign addons yesterday in the evening. Also I don't know much about scripting (only how to modify them).

I started modding because of how "Hummingbird" handled. It was like piloting a barn. Even Mohawk was more agile. After this feedback ticket closed I stopped flying Littlebird, I just couldn't stand how my favorite heli behaved. Today I've tried all helis again and it's even worse than I remember, so I'll have to do something about them too.

Right now the only thing I've changed is config of the Littlebird, I haven't touched the flight model, and that's where I would search for problems with throttle lag and speed flaring. Right now I wouldn't even know where to search :D. I don't expect to add more features to this mod in the nearest future (before I learn how to script). Right now I'd rather focus on changing other helicopters values and only then find out what is possible in terms of flight model and controls.

I agree that those issues Gonza mentions are making flying much less enjoyable, you have to flare a couple kilometers before landing, but addressing them is beyond my capabilities right now. I know there are some people working on making FM more realistic (Bakerman, I'd love to see wind as a factor in game) and if there's someone, who is capable of addressing these issues, it's them.

I know that helicopters can be even more agile (at least based on my TOH experience), but Arma 3 doesn't support stalls and other flight characteristics that make flying more dangerous. Also many people often fly using mouse and keyboard (I use HOTAS). That's why i had to tone down those values to a "safe" level (values from airshow videos). Until we have a more realistic flight model it will have to make do.

First, many thanks for the modification. Now it feels much better and even closer to the nice flight characteristics in A2. But i made another observation for myself. If i go into a straight forward movement and then bank to the left or right i would expect the helicopter to do a "not too" slight turn in that direction since the banking initiates a change of the CoG. You can observe the same thing with the planes in A3. While flying straight bank full left or right and watch how they still fly straight in that direction. In A2 it felt much more realistic than in A3 now. Test it by yourself and post your opinion.

The Littlebird feels much better now! The AH-6 is dangerous again. I'm able to take out 3 or 4 trucks in high speed passes versus the 1 or 2 previously. Thank you good sir!

Don't give up, dig into those files and start changing things... you'll get it!

Thanks for this, very excited to try it out. Any chance you could add flares to the Pawnee?

On TOH many people were flying with mouse. You don't need to use too much high value just for the safety. If heli are pretty more realistic, that mean best maneuverability and danger to stall then people will love your mod because all flying gamer on arma want to have more realism for air part of ama.

@PhunkMaZ

You're right, its especially visible in fixed wing aircraft. In helicopters as long as i'm not 90 degree turned, I'll turn to the side i bank on without touching collective forward/backward, but the effect is not prominent. Unfortunately it's a matter of flight model, which I don't touch at the moment.

@Shadow_MSOG

Adding flares is possible... sort of. I've checked, they work, but they shoot out of the center of aircraft, straight down. It doesn't look too good. There's no flare compartment modeled, so even if I could move flare spawn point, it would still look strange. I think only MELB version has countermeasures.

@Izaiak

I don't mean that i set "safe" values so people wouldn't crash. I set them so that people wouldn't be able to do maneuvers, that in real life would result in crash, but are possible in Arma 3, because there's no punishment for doing them (stalls etc.).

awesome mod, thanks! did you change the damage model as well? I noticed my bird didn't blow up when I hit the pavement at 70 speed units/hour

No, the damage didn't change. I just tested it without the mod, the bird didn't blow up either.