dna_uk

DirecxtX 12 for ArmA 3?

DX12 is not tied to the new Water Shader and lighting. BI have already pushed back those to this quarter, it was actually supposed to pop up on Dev Branch i believe last month. However, Nexus got finished, and they moved the new visual update to hit along side Eden Update. So unless DX12 were to pop up in Eden, they are not tied together.

Also, Wiki has this information from the E3 last year and the latest info we have is that BIS is looking into it and since we didn't hear anything else from it due to silence from BIS regarding this, this means nothing. This is not a conformation of anyhing.

• Like 1

New water isnt tied to DX 12. Its just new lighting, thats all. You can enable it with Real Light or ENB series.
RL v6 for stronger pc's http://sh8.videopilot.link/arma3/real-light-v6/
RL v5 without almost any impact on FPS http://sh8.videopilot.link/arma3/

Dx 12 with tanoa will be needed beacuse very lot of vegetation so much thing will be possible to calculate via all cores of CPU and GPU more.

Dx 12 with tanoa will be needed beacuse very lot of vegetation so much thing will be possible to calculate via all cores of CPU and GPU more.

This is why I hope they support Vulkan. It would be kinda stupid not to if they are serious about supporting the Linux and Mac clients as well as all of the Windows 7 and 8/8.1 players that refuse to downgrade to Windows 10. Personally I don't trust Microsoft with my Encryption and SSH keys.

• Like 4

Info Via. SITREP #00132 - "Work on the Visual Update package has continued as well. Staging its tweaked lighting, water reflections, improved underwater fog and fixed up parallax maps to Dev-Branch is set for a while after 1.54."

Then in one of the sitrep's mentioned it to be pushed to Eden, so it's pretty much confirmed to be a thing without DX12.

Also, Wiki has this information from the E3 last year and the latest info we have is that BIS is looking into it and since we didn't hear anything else from it due to silence from BIS regarding this, this means nothing. This is not a conformation of anyhing.

Got no info at all.

I just wonder: will DX12 be only in Apex or also update A3 to DX12 standard?

Got no info at all.

I just wonder: will DX12 be only in Apex or also update A3 to DX12 standard?

DX12 was stated to be integrated in Arma 3, as Apex is not a Standalone Expansion, it will also be integrated into Arma 3.

This is why I hope they support Vulkan. It would be kinda stupid not to if they are serious about supporting the Linux and Mac clients as well as all of the Windows 7 and 8/8.1 players that refuse to downgrade to Windows 10. Personally I don't trust Microsoft with my Encryption and SSH keys.

Same as me - as people says Win10 will be shop with apps.  When they force move to other OS on players, it will be never win10 for me. Its overrated.

• Like 2

Same as me - as people says Win10 will be shop with apps.  When they force move to other OS on players, it will be never win10 for me. Its overrated.

If they force me to move to 10 just to play......that is the end of Arma for me.

• Like 1

To me it just shows how desperate MS are and I really don't like the liberties nor the route they are taking. Gonna stick to Windows 7 and eventually go all out Linux if MS keep going the way they are going.

/KC

• Like 2

If they force me to move to 10 just to play......that is the end of Arma for me.

If you want DX12 you'll need to move to win10. Stick to your current OS and you'll have dx11. Doubt they'll make it dx12 exclusive.

If you want DX12 you'll need to move to win10. Stick to your current OS and you'll have dx11. Doubt they'll make it dx12 exclusive.

And stick to current lags and low fps :) This is where the problem starts. If he dont switch to Win10 (dx 12) he will have same performance as now. That adventage of vulcan - he can stay on Win7 and have bigger performance.

• Like 2

Still, they don't "force" you to go to Windows 10. They said about dx12 coming, nothing about Vulkan which I think it hasn't even launched. There is no evidence yet that just using a different API in ArmA 3 will actually improve player experience. C.Roberts said you can update the render quite easily, but if you want to grab that extra performance given by a low level API, you need time.

Now... lets take a step back and see how much of DX11.x Bohemia put into this current version? That should give us a hint on how things will be in the future. :)

• Like 1

To me it just shows how desperate MS are and I really don't like the liberties nor the route they are taking. Gonna stick to Windows 7 and eventually go all out Linux if MS keep going the way they are going.

/KC

Well, having switched from Windows 8.1 to windows X, I have to say that windows X is better than 8.1, though I do miss the windows 7 days. After about a year I guess with Win10, I can't complain. I've had not noticeable problems. Wouldn't change from Win10 personally. However if I came across a windows 7 Computer I would know exactly how to use it. =D

Still, they don't "force" you to go to Windows 10. They said about dx12 coming, nothing about Vulkan which I think it hasn't even launched. There is no evidence yet that just using a different API in ArmA 3 will actually improve player experience. C.Roberts said you can update the render quite easily, but if you want to grab that extra performance given by a low level API, you need time.

Now... lets take a step back and see how much of DX11.x Bohemia put into this current version? That should give us a hint on how things will be in the future. :)

but developers have access to the code base for the Vulkan API. Evidenced by the fact that AMD is doing a talk about Vulkan and mentioning the games coming out for the API. It just hasnt released to the public yet. They are fixing it on a legal standpoint so no one can challenge them from a legal standpoint. I believe AMD wanted some of the codebase back or something. It will be interesting to see what the legal thing was cause if it was something that AMD gave to both DX12 and Vulkan then DX12 might have to put on hold and fix it too. Still rather have Vulkan over DX12. If they can easily add a renderer, then add Vulkan along side DX12.

• Like 1

Vulkan comes from Mantle and Bohemia were refused for some reason to play around with it when it was in closed beta. It depends when they could have gotten the code way back or if it's more complicated compared to somewhat familiar dx environment. However I agree, if they want to go to Linux and the rest of the OSes, then Vulkan, at least in the future, is a must.

At the moment I would be happy if they manage to fix what's wrong with the performance and the lighting/shadows system which is truly fubar.

if they want to go to Linux and the rest of the OSes,

How seriously this is the case is anyone's guess.

Vulkan comes from Mantle and Bohemia were refused for some reason to play around with it when it was in closed beta. It depends when they could have gotten the code way back or if it's more complicated compared to somewhat familiar dx environment. However I agree, if they want to go to Linux and the rest of the OSes, then Vulkan, at least in the future, is a must.

At the moment I would be happy if they manage to fix what's wrong with the performance and the lighting/shadows system which is truly fubar.

actually, Mantle was only a small part of Vulkan. AMD chipped in Mantle to the project because only a couple games used it and they decided to OpenSource it. Vulkan was made to be a successor to OpenGL

• Like 2

I apologize. As of recent 2016 Horizon video now reveals, that BI have now, once again, pushed back the visual update from Eden Update, all the way to Apex.

Hey mate, do you think DX12 will solve this?

A couple of AI having a firefight just kills the performance (drop from 60 to 24 fps), when you are looking at it.

However with same AI doing exactly  the same but because you are not looking at it, just does not affect your performance.

Or do you think this is not related with graphics and is only the called "cpu bottleneck"?

Take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eWHvzuOsHY

nice video....is there a post here on the forums that explains exactly why arma's performance drops so immensly as soon as some ai is doing stuff? Is all ai related stuff done on one core only? Is arma's ai so much more performance intensive than in other games, or is it just implemented in a weird/old/bad way? Cause if we see the same stuff going on in the Apex expansion (dx12 or not), one really has to ask BI about setting its priorities right.

Hey mate, do you think DX12 will solve this?

A couple of AI having a firefight just kills the performance (drop from 60 to 24 fps), when you are looking at it.

However with same AI doing exactly  the same but because you are not looking at it, just does not affect your performance.

Or do you think this is not related with graphics and is only the called "cpu bottleneck"?

Take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eWHvzuOsHY

Hey, i think i know little fix for this. Try to set in windows sound quality for 16 bits 44100 Hz (as temponrary). There was writed about this fix on some sitrep if i remember well. Since i've done this i have no FPS hit on firefights (they start if there is veeeery large firefight). About BI priorities we all know its a little mess. Im almost 100% sure they will finish this game in this year :) About low FPS - problem on my pc started again after GPU drivers reinstall. Wanna know how i dealed with it? I installed driver as admin (so all video setting could be saved after system restart), went to AMD setting (catylist control center is outdated now), and turned ON shaders cahce for Arma 3 (ON, not AMD optimalised), and disabled Tesselation. Saw very big FPS increase. Try this on your machines, tell me if that worked.

Well, I've read something about the sound  but if it is because sound only can be due to some issue(s) on implementation and not hardware related.
Already tried several sound configurations (even 16 bit 44100 Hz) and also the sound sources in game (from 16 to 128) and the result is the same.
Anyway, if a Asus Xonar is not able to deal with game sound, then I don't know what kind of hardware is needed.

But, I am sure that this is because something in game was changed in last year, before there was not such issue.
Here is a video recorded in 2014 with tons of AI firing and having stable 60 fps, no performance drop at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtCOXBkSiJ4

I believe this might shed some light on AI performance not being as heavy with Dx12

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/08/anddx12.jpg

It shows that current DX11, processes through a sort of pipeline, completing each task in an orderly fashion. Where as DX12 can sort of spread this work out between Hardware faster, thus removing delay by being in a pipeline, meaning AI processing for Arma 3 could end up being done faster. I'm not entirely sure, but it's a possibility.