dna_uk

DirecxtX 12 for ArmA 3?

As I understand it, you are not actually required to have a microsoft account tied to your windows 10 install. Though, it will make some things a pain in the ass if you don't.

i have win 10 and have no microsoft account linked to it and find it no less conveneinect than win 7.

but would love to see dx12 integration. especially as win 10 is being adopted quite rapidly.

but best of all is seeing arma3 on linux. hoping to make the move soon.

As already pointed out, your card supports DX12.

You should inform yourself before claiming that certain actions would be unfair.

OK i can, but IMHO dx 11.2 is not dx 12, so mistake is easy to make. But think about player who doesnt have GPU supporting DX 12. They will have to play with lags and fps drops.... This was my think while i was writing "unfair".

OK i can, but IMHO dx 11.2 is not dx 12, so mistake is easy to make. But think about player who doesnt have GPU supporting DX 12. They will have to play with lags and fps drops.... This was my think while i was writing "unfair".

According to AMD, your card is "DirectX 12 Ready", but that actually means 11.2? Isn't that like very very false advertising? :huh:

edit. Ok, after some reading, I think that's right. You'll need an actual dx12 card to use the full potential of it. And "DX12 Ready" is like "HD Ready"; not actually HD but capable of displaying a HD signal. Hmph.

• Like 1

According to AMD, your card is "DirectX 12 Ready", but that actually means 11.2? Isn't that like very very false advertising? :huh:

edit. Ok, after some reading, I think that's right. You'll need an actual dx12 card to use the full potential of it. And "DX12 Ready" is like "HD Ready"; not actually HD but capable of displaing a HD signal. Hmph.

Yeah, that why i was mistaked too. But i still havent used Dx12 even single time. Can anyone tell me, will i can use Arma 3 with Dx-12 on Windows 7?

For what i know, My card will use only few features of dx 12, not fully, so to fully use power of dx 12 i need new cgraphic card. My GPU is one year old, i spent all my savings for new pc (after very hard of over-hours in work) and now i need to buy another? This marketing hit is hitting very hard to all of us, somebody see it, somebody not, but ALL wallets will get thinny

Yeah, that why i was mistaked too. But i still havent used Dx12 even single time. Can anyone tell me, will i can use Arma 3 with Dx-12 on Windows 7?

For what i know, My card will use only few features of dx 12, not fully, so to fully use power of dx 12 i need new cgraphic card. My GPU is one year old, i spent all my savings for new pc (after very hard of over-hours in work) and now i need to buy another? This marketing hit is hitting very hard to all of us, somebody see it, somebody not, but ALL wallets will get thinny

just upgrade to windows 10 for free. I dont think bis will use the fancy dx12_1 features..the basic feature is enough for reducing cpu overhead

if bis decided to implement asynchronous shader u can expect significant performance boost with AMD cards

First - Win 10 is not 100% free - see previous site of this topic and official Microsoft statement. Second - i will never update to Win10 before they finish it, and games will able to run on it without problems. So im unalbe to run DX12 games on win7? If so, you have reply to question "what the hell is he talking about, why he hate DX12?"

First - Win 10 is not 100% free - see previous site of this topic and official Microsoft statement. Second - i will never update to Win10 before they finish it, and games will able to run on it without problems. So im unalbe to run DX12 games on win7? If so, you have reply to question "what the hell is he talking about, why he hate DX12?"

This is why it would be better to have Vulkan API over DX12. Vulkan is NOT vendor/platform locked like DX12. They both do the same thing.

• Like 1

Remember DX10? We had to update from Windows XP to vista to get it!

That STALKER Clear Sky sure was worth the upgrade at the time! No regrets!

Either way Windows 10 is not that bad... and if it means that I have to get it just to play ArmA 3 to get extra 5% performance I'd totally go for it again!

I got used to it fairly quick and going back to 7 on my laptop is just like going back to arma 2:OA.

As much as I loved OA, going back from A3 will ruin my good memory of OA. :(

-------

Directx12 is not the main thing to look forward to.

I really hope it's possible to change from 32bit to 64bit.

http://www.bistudio.com/blog/breaking-the-32-bit-barrier

Back in 2008, they stated that it would be impossible,

but now with all the money from the DLC's (jk) and

majority of Computers having a 64 bit windows and

the amount of dx12 capable systems is rising...

We can dream for the best :)

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

That's something I believe would benefit us the most, for ArmA is one of the only

games which allows over 100 AI at the time up to 1000's of units. I believe that

with all that ArmA does right now. It's doing it the BEST of it's abilities and does not

have many contenders for that exact reason...

But that should not be a reason to stop them from pushing forward,

I love that they are still working on different mechanics and updates for ArmA 3.

• Like 1

The demonstations and videos of Vulkan API are really compelling. DX12 is limited to Windows 10 and XBone. Vulkan is not. It will run on Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, vista, and XP as well as OSX and Linux and Android and iOS. (OSX/iOS are using a custom version called Metal).

Both are based on Mantle. Vulkan more so. DX12 is backed by Microsoft. Vulkan is backed by Microsoft, Sony, Apple, EA, DICE, Blizzard, IBM, AMD, ARM, Samsung, Epic Games, Intel, Nvidia, Nokia, Mozilla, Lucasfilm, Oculus VR, Oxide, Pixar, Red Hat, Canonical, Toshiba, Texas Instruments, Valve, Wargaming.net and no many, many more.

Vulkan has:

• Direct GPU control with minimal driver overhead
  • Multi-threading friendly architecture
  • Unified API for desktop, mobile and embedded platforms
  • Intermediate bytecode for shaders

https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploads/developers/library/overview/vulkan-overview.pdf

• Like 1

just note that Vulkan was delayed yet again ... so not this year

And that makes all the difference for Apex, doesn't it.

when did they announce it being delayed? I have not seen any news about it being delayed yet.

---EDIT----

Nevermind. I just saw the Phoronix article. Looks like it is in the Legal Review stage and is expected to release shortly. Most likely Q1 2016 hopefully in time for CES 2016 with version 1.0. Vulkan still looks like the best overall route for function, features, and platform compatibility.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Vulkan-No-Xmas-Look

Cant wait to see arma 3 without CPU bottlenecking on Vulcan, that would be awesomeness in clear form.

• Like 2

New Press release from Khronos Group: http://wccftech.com/khronos-group-vulkan-api-release-imminent/

We have some good news and some bad news.  The year-end target release date for Vulkan will not be met.  However, we are in the home stretch and the release of Vulkan 1.0 is imminent!

Here is a more detailed update…

The specification is complete and undergoing legal review and final polishing. The conformance tests are being finalized and multiple member companies are preparing drivers for release. Implementation feedback is the vital final stage of making any Khronos specification ready for primetime, and the Vulkan 1.0 specification will be published when the first conformant implementations are confirmed.

Work is also progressing to complete Vulkan SDKs for Windows, Android and Linux. Google has upgraded to Promoter membership and is now on the Khronos Board to help steer Vulkan strategy for Android and the wider industry.

There is considerable energy driving the work to bring you Vulkan. We are planning sessions and demos at key industry events throughout the year. We are excited about the emerging Vulkan ecosystem that will create new business opportunities for the graphics and compute industry.

Vulkan will set the foundation for graphics and compute APIs for years to come and so Khronos is taking the time needed to do this right – and the Vulkan 1.0 release is near!

New Press release from Khronos Group: http://wccftech.com/khronos-group-vulkan-api-release-imminent/

We have some good news and some bad news.  The year-end target release date for Vulkan will not be met.  However, we are in the home stretch and the release of Vulkan 1.0 is imminent!

Here is a more detailed update…

The specification is complete and undergoing legal review and final polishing. The conformance tests are being finalized and multiple member companies are preparing drivers for release. Implementation feedback is the vital final stage of making any Khronos specification ready for primetime, and the Vulkan 1.0 specification will be published when the first conformant implementations are confirmed.

Work is also progressing to complete Vulkan SDKs for Windows, Android and Linux. Google has upgraded to Promoter membership and is now on the Khronos Board to help steer Vulkan strategy for Android and the wider industry.

There is considerable energy driving the work to bring you Vulkan. We are planning sessions and demos at key industry events throughout the year. We are excited about the emerging Vulkan ecosystem that will create new business opportunities for the graphics and compute industry.

Vulkan will set the foundation for graphics and compute APIs for years to come and so Khronos is taking the time needed to do this right – and the Vulkan 1.0 release is near!

Wonderful....

Good for them... but whether 1.0 will be in time to meet Apex's release window (let's not forget how much Bohemia has held to release windows harder than the community wanted -- see Steam, the mid-September 2013 launch, the campaign episodes, DLCs, blah blah) is a different story.

Doesn't matter if they go DX12 or Vulkan, I wouldn't expect that happen at the release of Apex. They can do those later. OK if Apex comes in Summer 2016, then maybe possible.

I thought this was common knowledge given the few screens we've seen of the harbour etc had the nice new water shader applied...or have I just been dreaming all that?

Was it DX12 or just new shaders?

With Eden we'll get the new visuals, but possibly not DX12.

I would find it weird if the graphics are related to Dx12.

No rush, we need to wait for Pascal (Nvidia) or Artic (AMD). Current GPU(s)archiecture does not extract the juice of DX12, it is obvious now, at least with the games available based DX12,  which are pointing 3GB for graphics memory, as recomended.

Anyway, for a game like A3 this are good news.

looks like im going to be stuck on dx 11. i refuse to downgrade to Windows 10.

And if they limit the game to DX12 only......I will uninstall Arma 3 and give it the boot. A Sandbox game is all about choice......so shouldn't the OS be too?

• Like 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

"DirectX 12 patch releasing with "Tanoa Expansion"

Oh god dam. I'm happy and angry at the same time. Happy because this is likely a nice performance boost, angry because Win10.

Well finally Bohemia is one of the first ones to get in to some new tech :D

I guess that's just pure speculation then...