dna_uk

DirecxtX 12 for ArmA 3?

http://i.imgur.com/vLV4oTv.png (179 kB)

As some of you may or may not know, DirectX 12 was unveiled today along with all of it's improvements and features.

http://wccftech.com/microsoft-unveiels-directx-12-api-gdc-2014-mantle-level-features/

http://wccftech.com/microsofts-directx-12-api-supports-amd-gcn-nvidia-fermi-kepler-maxwell-intels-iris-graphics-cores/

Only time will tell if such performance gains can be backed up in real world situations. But if it does hold up to its word however, this could be huge for games like ArmA 3 which are very CPU intensive.

The best part about this version of DirectX, is that it won't require brand new hardware to support it. Cards dating back to 2010 will support the new API, so devs won't have to worry about waiting a few years to support it.

We've already seen massive performance gains over the devs using DirectX 11 for ArmA 3 over DirectX 9 for ArmA 2, so I'm wondering if this is something devs actually are interested in for ArmA 3 at some point in the future?

( If you want to dicuss this, please no fanboy related banter. We all know how that ends up :yay: )

I doubt it, changing the specs after the game has gone gold has always been a bit of a no go as you may end up denying customers the right to use their software (angry customers)

Well that wouldn't really be a problem. DirextX 11 is supported and used in ArmA 3, however it used DirectX 10 on cards that don't support DirectX 11 as far as I'm aware.

The same thing could be done, just for DirectX 12.

We've already seen massive performance gains over the devs using DirectX 11 for ArmA 3 over DirectX 9 for ArmA 2

?? its a joke or ? ?

Have you not seen the superlative leaf textures and alpha maps? So real – I just want to lick the rain water off those leafs!

Early access program starts this year for developers. BI could easily apply and start coding. For your information, Forza was ported to DX12 on the PC running at 60fps on nvidia hardware by a team of 4 people in just 4 months.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-reveals-directx-12-for-pc-xbox-one-and-mobile

Turn 10 Studios has already ported their Xbox One launch title Forza Motorsport 5 to DirectX 12, using a four man team that took four months to get the game running on an PC using NVIDIA graphics at 60 FPS; Xbox One will see a significant performance boost for games using DirectX 12 as well.

Well, I'm gonna say BI wounldn't spend extra time on this, but quite positive for ArmA4 with DX12

Nvidia has new drivers coming out soon that has Mantle like performance gains for DX11.

A quote from the article.

Thief, the latest Mantle-based game release, shows a similar story; an advantage for AMD (using driver version 14.2) over the GTX 780 Ti with R331 and R334, but NVIDIA’s card taking the lead (albeit by a small percentage) with the upcoming driver.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Talks-DX12-DX11-Efficiency-Improvements

Have you not seen the superlative leaf textures and alpha maps? So real – I just want to lick the rain water off those leafs!

Yeah - when they don't flicker due to the ancient LOD system which needs serious rework.

Anyway, here's the official blog with all the details: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/03/20/directx-12.aspx

"After porting 3DMark to use Direct3D 12, we see two major improvements – a 50% improvement in CPU utilization, and better distribution of work among threads."

Well, I'm gonna say BI wounldn't spend extra time on this, but quite positive for ArmA4 with DX12

I'm not so sure that A4 will follow that fast after A3. Technically, A3 is only just finished (counting the campaign episodes), Dwarden hinted that they tried to get the Mantle SDK and all the "Scanning the Horizon" blogs say that they want to support this game for the next few years.

yes bi self has sait no arma 4 in sight. only they expand arma 3 in they next years. arma 3 is the base.

I'm not so sure that A4 will follow that fast after A3. Technically, A3 is only just finished (counting the campaign episodes), Dwarden hinted that they tried to get the Mantle SDK and all the "Scanning the Horizon" blogs say that they want to support this game for the next few years.

I think ARMA3 should be supported until like 2020... making a new game too often with a series completely dependent on editing and mods isn't a good idea.

I only wish the publishing of DX12 would have been in next month or so.. :(

ARMA is THE game that needs every bit of optimization.Waiting until next holidays?..maybe we aren't going to live so long...

(Of course same goes to *next month but..the percentage differs)

I only wish the publishing of DX12 would have been in next month or so.. :(

ARMA is THE game that needs every bit of optimization.Waiting until next holidays?..maybe we aren't going to live so long...

(Of course same goes to *next month but..the percentage differs)

Developers can get their hands on DX12 tools much sooner tho, of course this doesn't help the end user struggling with performance issues.

Thanks to the OP, the same thing came to my mind.

As far as i understand it, if DirectX 12 is released (and developers are bugging microsoft to not force it windows 8 only) it can pass it's benefits to games running on DX11 too because it's completely downwards compatible. All what devs have to do is implement it. I don't know how hard it will be, but this will help Arma3 big time. So for new graphics stuff you may need an DX12 GPU, but the more interesting CPU utilization stuff comes for everyone.

Dx12 is due for next year, ArmaIV if there is ever one won't be until three or four years. BiS has plenty of time to think about it. A Change of technology for ArmaIII is unlikely though...

Nvidia has new drivers coming out soon that has Mantle like performance gains for DX11.

I plan on replacing my HD7850 for a GTX770 in the coming days. This is pretty good timing! :)

Edited by dunedain

hard to tell, considering DX12 is slated for late 2015 ...

there is not even indication of what OS it will run on ;)

note; it can be 8.2 or 9.0 or older 8.1 ... totally uncertain

This is indeed a big moment, sir Dwarden enters the discussion :)

Nice to see that you guys are following all discussions.

hard to tell, considering DX12 is slated for late 2015 ...

there is not even indication of what OS it will run on ;)

note; it can be 8.2 or 9.0 or older 8.1 ... totally uncertain

If it is Win 8/9 exclusive, I bet not many game devs will adopt DX12

If DX12 won't support Windows 7 then it will be another huge fail by Microsoft. Not supporting their most popular OS is what they've done already with DX11.2...

If DX12 won't support Windows 7 then it will be another huge fail by Microsoft. Not supporting their most popular OS is what they've done already with DX11.2...

Depends on how you define "huge fail". ;)

Windows 7 is their most popular OS because it works well and everyone (figuratively speaking) already owns it, so adding DX12 support to Win7 doesn't make them any money. They would much prefer if all Win7 owners switched to Win8, and eventually Win9 etc., so arbitrarily binding some shiny piece of technology to the new versions works as a kind of incentive. (Because, let's face it, the new Windows versions don't have much else of value to offer.)

So yeah, it's a huge fail from our consumer standpoint, but it will almost certainly cause some people to upgrade their OS, which is a "huge win" for Microsoft. Just sayin'. :)

Btw. I would bet money that DX12 will be for Windows 9 only.

Depends on how you define "huge fail". ;)

Windows 7 is their most popular OS because it works well and everyone (figuratively speaking) already owns it, so adding DX12 support to Win7 doesn't make them any money. They would much prefer if all Win7 owners switched to Win8, and eventually Win9 etc., so arbitrarily binding some shiny piece of technology to the new versions works as a kind of incentive. (Because, let's face it, the new Windows versions don't have much else of value to offer.)

So yeah, it's a huge fail from our consumer standpoint, but it will almost certainly cause some people to upgrade their OS, which is a "huge win" for Microsoft. Just sayin'. :)

Btw. I would bet money that DX12 will be for Windows 9 only.

It would be a huge fail because I'm damn sure that game developers won't bother developing a game with an API that's limited to a single OS, Win8, and many people won't bother going through the hassle of upgrading their OS just because of an upgraded API, for a system that's meant for freaking tablets and phones.

And then there's OpenGL which is, well, open.