dna_uk

DirecxtX 12 for ArmA 3?

More info...

Vulkan 1.0 Specification Released: Drivers & Games Inbound

http://http://www.anandtech.com/show/10035/vulkan-10-released

Khronos Group Releases Vulkan 1.0 API, AMD and Nvidia Ready with Drivers

http://www.maximumpc.com/khronos-group-releases-vulkan-10-api-amd-and-nvidia-ready-with-drivers/

Really hope Vulkan can give MS a run for the money and break the DirectX game monopol!

/KC

• Like 1

1st benchmark shows worse performance under Vulkan compared to DX11. http://www.computerbase.de/2016-02/vulkan-erste-benchmarks-der-neuen-api-in-talos-principle/  .  Interesting to see that AMD wins under Vulkan. 

Was not supposed to be the opposite? Vulkan was not supposed to beat DX11 and DX12? Why the performance is worse than with DX11? I am seeing it wrong or what?

This video is fake?

Was not supposed to be the opposite? Vulkan was not supposed to beat DX11 and DX12? Why the performance is worse than with DX11? I am seeing it wrong or what?

This video is fake?

No, it's consistent with other testing. Vulkan and OpenGL in Talos Principle is to be considered alpha stage. The game was clearly made to run well on DX11 at release.

• Like 3

I am guessing that with Arma 3, DirectX 12 or Vulkan are not going to happen anytime soon.

The reason for my guess? I am going to say trying not to hurt feelings.

When we launch ARMA 3 do we see a Nvidia or AMD Logo?

We see a shiny Nvidia Logo, means that there is some kind of partnership or at least some cooperation in development and obviously the ultimate interest of the Nvidia Logo is a commercial one.

The implementation of DX12 would make AMD GPUs (it's a fact that Nvidia is not having any boost with it) more tasty for ARMA 3, probably the shiny Nvidia Logo would not be happy.

The same for Vulkan, in first place it has AMD Logo behind, in second place AMD GPUs would be the ones having benefits and in third place, the shiny Nvidia Logo would not be happy, again.

Maybe some day DX12 can give a boost for Nvidia GPUs, also. Then we may see it on ARMA 3.

Vulkan, I am sure that will never happen.

The Vulkan working group has been driven by more positive developer energy than any other Khronos project, resulting in the release of specifications, conformance tests, and open source SDK and compiler components in just 18 months,†said Neil Trevett, president of the Khronos Group and vice president at NVIDIA. “Vulkan does not replace traditional APIs, but it provides another choice for developers. In the right hands, Vulkan’s multi-threading and explicit resource management can enable a new class of smooth, high-performance engines and applications.â€

This video is fake?

Inmature drivers

A non deeply developed engine for support both standards (DX11 and Vulkan)

Developers with a new graphics library.

Etc.

And Vulkan: designed for support multiple OS, directX designed for only one S.O.

Goals of Vulkan compatibilty between OS, FPS.

Vulkan now is like a strong baby, it needs grow and be more and more stronger in time.

if you read the comments from the developers from Croteam,

developing on Vulkan is quite hard/time extensive

that comes from developers who sit on Khronos board and decided about the API itself

so imho until 1.1 and several new iterations of drivers it's still in infancy

• Like 3

if you read the comments from the developers from Croteam,

developing on Vulkan is quite hard/time extensive

that comes from developers who sit on Khronos board and decided about the API itself

so imho until 1.1 and several new iterations of drivers it's still in infancy

Dev says in the SS3 forum about add Vulkan to SS3: SS4 first!!!! \o/ :rolleyes: :) :P :D

Im going to be live streaming the Vulkan Webinar in 1 hour (11AM CST)

most boring thing i've listen to, the specifics were regurgitated public information already available on their website...

a few things here: there is no support whatsoever from Apples part, which means (as expected) that they are going ahead with their Metal API, just like Micro$oft is going ahead with their DX12 on WIN10. 

a few things here: there is no support whatsoever from Apples part, which means (as expected) that they are going ahead with their Metal API, just like Micro$oft is going ahead with their DX12 on WIN10. 

I read this as well. It's a pity since "walled gardens" that both Apple and MS is trying to maintain/setup is a bad thing for us customers. That's why I hope Vulkan will gain market shares since options are always good thing!

As always time will tell!

/KC

Latest benchmarks of Ashes of the singularity on DX12, suprise suprise.

EiLBGNw.png?1

Nvidia has the lead on the higher resolutions, by 1fps.

Latest benchmarks of Ashes of the singularity on DX12, suprise suprise.

Nvidia has the lead on the higher resolutions, by 1fps.

Can you link the article?

Seems like everything goes like expected. Red team is in huge lead because they had the head start with Mantle.

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-02/directx-12-benchmarks-ashes-of-the-singularity-beta/

+

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Fable-Legends-Benchmark-DX12-Performance-Testing-Continues/Results-1080p-Ultr

In Fable, as I understand, they're gonna use Asynchronous Shaders for spells and other effects that weren't in the demo, so possibly more advantage for AMD.

ATM AMD stands very well in all DX12 benchmarks available. At lower resolution (or in other words, not in GPU bottleneck scenarios, but rather CPU), the AMD cards stretch their legs quite well.

Anyone seen this program:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/384300/

They promise up to 17% fps increase in ArmA 3 without any need for DX12/Vulkan support. Basically the program allocates the CPU usage for games rather than background programs. However they say there is no real benefit on the high-end CPUs.

On-topic: judging by these early tests, seems like DX12 strongly favours AMD CPUs and GPUs.

They promise up to 17% fps increase in ArmA 3 without any need for DX12/Vulkan support. Basically the program allocates the CPU usage for games rather than background programs. However they say there is no real benefit on the high-end CPUs.

On-topic: judging by these early tests, seems like DX12 strongly favours AMD CPUs and GPUs.

I'm using process lasso for free (there was promotion on FB) and i have same resoult :D

I'm using process lasso for free (there was promotion on FB) and i have same resoult :D

Nice of you to share this information with the community a little too late :angry:

useless software

it's just some tricks like setting priorities, affinity of process vs cores and so on ...

all that you can do yourself w/o paying 20 bucks

actually the tool can even affect the Arma 3 game in negative way on CPUs with HT cores

cause for Arma 3 you shall try use -enableHT command-line switch to utilize HT cores for microjobs :)

the video about arma 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6EyyYXwUx3k

even mention they put the OS stuff on first core instead of second (that's dumb cause if you playing with affinity you want the IPC of the most powerful core exclusive for game ;) )

... baffling software :)

• Like 3

And do not forget the real important fact.

Steam is selling it and allowing that load of crap that we can read in product description,

But this is not a suprise, internet is awesome.

Btw, the same applies to razer booster, proccess lasso or whatever. Still it reminds my youth, where some guys made real money with a software that was increasing physical ram.

• Like 1

Process Lasso at least has some quality in the huge amount of features and automation so you can consider it tool for lazy people ;)

• Like 2

more evidence that designing and building shovelware is a viable career

Evidence? You might as well have commented that apples falling from a tree is more evidence of gravity existing :P Certain things just don't need more evidence

To me, ashes of singularity looks like a game designed to show off mantle / amd tech. The game looks pretty shite. The only reason it needs good hardware is because of all the slow ass projectile with ridiculous smoke coverage (basically half the projectiles are smoke bombs) and every explosion or fire generates a light for little or no graphical benefit. So in a way it is an artificial benchmark that you can interact with (artificial as in: trying to cram in as much computational cost of a very specific kind as possible;  Instead of a "real" game where everything is balanced and only applied where it actually makes sense and where it is beneficial.)