dna_uk

DirecxtX 12 for ArmA 3?

If there is one game engine most unsuited for Arma, it's Unreal. Or wait, maybe Unity. Or both.

If there is one game engine most unsuited for Arma, it's Unreal. Or wait, maybe Unity. Or both.

Well, that might not be the case. Since UE4 is a HUGE improvement over what UE3 ever was. Ideally, they could essentially copy what UE4 did but in an engine that works for Arma. Hell, they could probably talk to their buddies over at Bohemia Interactive Simulations about getting their version of the engine since VBS3 is leaps and bounds better than Arma's engine. But, building the engine from the ground up again thoroughly integrating Vulkan API into the core of it along with the AMD GPUOpen framework would/could make Arma 4 a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 2

I just sayed loud my dreams :) Building engine from begin take some time, BUT if will include Vulcan and developers will take in account all mentioned problems by players, i can say they can make their own engine, and it will be best choice. But i'm realist only, and know they will build almost the same engine without any fixing, just with Vulcan or DX12 and thats all we can expect. Off course i dont know it will support wheeled/tracked vehicles at all, beacuse coming with time line of arma, arma 4 will be in far future so all tanks will be flying :P Unreal isnt that bad choice, its very modding-firendly, and besides that ITS READY. If i could imagine frostbite in this.........

Here is very interesting article :
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Interview-Bohemia-Interactive-ArmA-3-Developer-Expansion-Optimization-Roadmap?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 1

I just sayed loud my dreams :) Building engine from begin take some time, BUT if will include Vulcan and developers will take in account all mentioned problems by players, i can say they can make their own engine, and it will be best choice. But i'm realist only, and know they will build almost the same engine without any fixing, just with Vulcan or DX12 and thats all we can expect. Off course i dont know it will support wheeled/tracked vehicles at all, beacuse coming with time line of arma, arma 4 will be in far future so all tanks will be flying :P Unreal isnt that bad choice, its very modding-firendly, and besides that ITS READY. If i could imagine frostbite in this.........

Here is very interesting article :

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Interview-Bohemia-Interactive-ArmA-3-Developer-Expansion-Optimization-Roadmap?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thank you for linking to the Article I wrote as a ghost writer for PCPer. ^_^

• Like 1

Well, that might not be the case. Since UE4 is a HUGE improvement over what UE3 ever was. Ideally, they could essentially copy what UE4 did but in an engine that works for Arma. Hell, they could probably talk to their buddies over at Bohemia Interactive Simulations about getting their version of the engine since VBS3 is leaps and bounds better than Arma's engine. But, building the engine from the ground up again thoroughly integrating Vulkan API into the core of it along with the AMD GPUOpen framework would/could make Arma 4 a force to be reckoned with.

Question, before we actually start discussing: Did you EVER do ANYTHING game related in UE4? For example, building your own little game? Making a terrain?

Question, before we actually start discussing: Did you EVER do ANYTHING game related in UE4? For example, building your own little game? Making a terrain?

aside from testing out the capabilities on Linux? no. Make a terrain in UE3? yes.

• Like 1

Hell, they could probably talk to their buddies over at Bohemia Interactive Simulations about getting their version of the engine since VBS3 is leaps and bounds better than Arma's engine.

Are you a VBS3 license holder? Because actual self-declared VBS3 license holders have disagreed with you on this, and how.

aside from testing out the capabilities on Linux? no. Make a terrain in UE3? yes.

Then you should know why UE4 is not applicable for Arma.

lol, what? Unreal is pretty easy engine to mod for.

I know that it has powerful tools, but show me any AAA title running recent Unreal Engine that offers the same modding support as the arma games currently have.

I know that it has powerful tools, but show me any AAA title running recent Unreal Engine that offers the same modding support as the arma games currently have.

This is for Unreal in general? Because XCOM 2's supposed to still be running on Firaxis' iteration of UE3.

We should have realistic expectations. DX12 won't magically make Arma multithreaded to the max.

Hopefully it will help a bit with performance and get past the cpu draw call limitations involving a lot of objects on screen (high view distance, objects, effects, etc on screen)

A 10% or so gain would be nice though.

not that it would ever matter or work for a arma game on ue4...but:

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Modding:_Adding_mod-support_to_your_Unreal_Engine_4_project

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ark-survival-evolved-now-open-to-ue4-modding

also Red Orchestra 2.

• Like 1

Here's something I think some here will find useful:

kwvFL3x.png

DX12 will be only fully supported by AMD R 200/300 series, Nvidia GTX 900 series and Intel HD 500 series. If you got a older card/chip, you will not get the DX12 features.

• Like 2

Intel HD 500 series.

Errr, left out a 0 there? Not wanting to nitpick, but a separate HD 500 series (instead of the HD 5000 series) is news to me.

Errr, left out a 0 there? Not wanting to nitpick, but a separate HD 500 series (instead of the HD 5000 series) is news to me.

It appears to me only Skylake's HD 500 chips are fully compatible with DX12. How all this will affect ArmA 3 I'm unaware of.

There is no engine "suited" for the development of a game like Arma 4. First you have to look at what Arma has accomplished over the years, and then where it must go from there. What in Arma 4, would be different, what would be the same. How would the game play, and how can said Engine support all of this. Honestly, I believe a whole new engine should be developed for such a game. I've tested Outtera, it's not bad. It has potential, but it also has very buggy physics. Also, a large portion of land features aren't available, at least from the last time I checked. It's also not an amazing Engine in terms of performance. It has a night flight model though.

Anyway though... So no hope for DX12 and Arma 3 huh?

EUREKA.

Forget DX12, I have found the issue/

More GPUs  =  Less Performance.

Crossfire disabled  (1 gpu enabled) FPS drop from 60 to 50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJg6jXPptg

Double Crossfire enabled (2 gpus enabled) FPS drop from 60 to 40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRXkf7otfTI

Triple Crossfire enabled (3 gpus enabled) FPS drop from 60 to 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQSq6jp7xE

Next I am going to try whitout any gpu.

120FPS in 1440p.

If it happens, just remember I called it :D

Here's something I think some here will find useful:

kwvFL3x.png

DX12 will be only fully supported by AMD R 200/300 series, Nvidia GTX 900 series and Intel HD 500 series. If you got a older card/chip, you will not get the DX12 features.

That chart does not include AMD's new architecture called Polaris.

You mean CPU calculations? I don't think so.

In my opinion the performance drop with AI is purely related with graphics.

I made a video with 8 vehicles, no explosions, no firefight,  just passing by and soon they start to appear the performance starts to drop, at close range we lose more than 20 fps, soon they pass performance goes back to normal.

Btw, I am using vehicles to make the video shorter, but if we place foot units the outcome is the same.

Take a look.

My question remains, DX12 will fix this?

Let's say NOW the graphics task on the CPU core 0 takes about 16ms. Ideally on DX12/Vulkan you can spread that on a 4 core CPU to about 4ms/core which frees 12ms on the main thread for AI, simulation, etc. On a 6 core you get ~2,67ms/core which takes you to ~ 13,32ms extra performance ( dx12 scaled to around 6 cores in the preview 3DMark test and Mantle to around 8 if I'm not mistaken). Now, if they go even further and NOT render what the player CANNOT see (like they're doing now), you should see even higher gains. Basically what we have with their games so far, is a vision of a game/gameplay that is hold back not by the hardware, but rather by the "old" way of doing things.

It's the same with the AI that can be done on the GPU... like those 3 GPUs you have in your own system. :D

Will this happen? I don't know. Probably not since their next engine is Enfusion as far as I know (a mix between this and another one). With a 2500k@4,5GHz I've got around 40-50% extra performance in Mantle vs. DX11.2, plus A LOT smoother gameplay (BF4). And that's a waaaay better optimized engine than this is.

EUREKA.

Forget DX12, I have found the issue/

More GPUs  =  Less Performance.

Crossfire disabled  (1 gpu enabled) FPS drop from 60 to 50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJg6jXPptg

Double Crossfire enabled (2 gpus enabled) FPS drop from 60 to 40.

Triple Crossfire enabled (3 gpus enabled) FPS drop from 60 to 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQSq6jp7xE

That could be because the CPU is now forced to prepare more data to be sent to  GPUs. More data on the main thread/core, less processing time available for other tasks - AI, simulation, etc.

• Like 1

That's a change in tone from the CEO stating he hoped it would be their "golden egg" a few months ago.