Kydoimos

ArmA 3 : RESIST

This week's character profile, Staff Sergeant Hughes:

Profile_Hughes_zps20c12723.jpg

We've got a new composer!

Finally got around to playing the second mission. I didn't run into any issues on my end and as such don't have much to be critical for.

One thing I would have liked though:

Final Assault. Enemy at the barracks felt a bit too static. I dare say there would of been more movement at an enemy position under siege. Not sure if thats just ArmA AI. Also, would have been nice to see more allies making the assault as well, a bit more realistic than one dude and a single vehicle capturing a barracks.

Other than that very nice!

Thanks for the feedback, Chow - already implemented a few changes for the next update which are relevant there.

FIA x 2 now join you in the assault. So, 5 friendly units in total. Let me know how the AI could be less static - what would you like to see? At present x 4 AAF counter attack as you advance. Thanks again!

Exciting news for the project. Here's the first few tracks from Resist's soundtrack, composed and performed by Valtteri Harju:

---------- Post added at 21:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Hope you'll agree he really captures the feel of the Arma series!

Edited by Kydoimos

Should have about 12-14 tracks by the time the project's finished! :)

No worries, happy to provide feedback if you find it helpful. Not sure if spoilers but better safe than sorry:

By enemy being static I meant enemy units at the barracks would just stand in a single position and not move around. Not sure if that was intentional or whether it was ArmA AI being weird but something that stood out for me.

Also maybe a little off topic. Would you mind if I made a lets play series of your Campaign? I'll only post playthroughs of the finished, public release version of course.

Ah - yes - a playthrough would be brilliant Chow! Some of the team who do not own Arma3 would really like to see the completed missions! I'm just uploading a new version of Road's End with additional music. The whole project is still in the Alpha stage, but yeah - go for it! Road's End is good to go and public! Essential Requisite is coming very soon! Thanks, man! Oh, and yes,

the static AI was intentional - well, at least it was on units hiding behind crates / tables / pallets etc. I'll see what I can do to make the whole thing a bit more dynamic!

Not exactly graffiti but if you'd make a nice poster from this image:

mercs_banner_1024_512b8cgj.jpg

and put it on a wall or billboard in Resist, I'd do the same with a Resist poster/ billboard / sign in M.E.R.C.S. :)

And here's my answer:

Some"discretely" placed posters in the MERCS hub. The lighting is a little bit too bright but you know about the issue...

2014-06-06_00001oxfb6.jpg 2014-06-06_000033osvd.jpg

Lol! Nice! Love it! :) I'll working on a nice billboard for Mercs!

Yes - some news, Chow! Public release for Essential Requisite has arrived! Feel free to make another video if you like! :) It's quite cinematic (I hope you'll agree!) in places!

I wonder why this mission has 130 Mb of size (made my A3 CTD twice while dl from steamworkshop)... due to all dialogs and music?

Anyway, loved the dialogs, they´re an helluva extra workload but the end result is outstanding and fun!

cheers!

Kydoimos, if you want to limit the size of the mission you might want to convert your music tracks from stereo to mono. That will considerably decrease the size of each file.

@Variable - thanks very much for that tip! Will do, with the next update! :)

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 ----------

All sounds and music should be in mono now - so smaller file size. I couldn't notice a difference in sound quality - so all good.

All sounds and music should be in mono now - so smaller file size. I couldn't notice a difference in sound quality - so all good.

I think that it might be even better, and not just because of the smaller file size. Stereo music might become distracting when you play in stereo or surround sound.

Mmm, I must admit - I actually prefer the stereo in-game on a playthrough ... there is quite a bit of sound quality difference in-game. I think I'll offer both, with a link to a dropbox folder in the Steam description for those who would prefer to play in mono. The difference in file size is fair, but not too bad. Sorry, chaps - gotta make an artistic decision here!

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

I really do value your opinions though! I've crunched all sounds into mono (should have been done earlier!) - so that should help.

I'm getting the same issue as one of your commenters, namely, that I can't download the file on Steam (instead, I get some measly 55 byte file, and an error message that says I haven't got enough disk space).

Could you please send me a PM with a DropBox link to the mission? I'd like to give it a tilt.

Hi all - right - massive apology - turns out I left all the WAV files in when I converted them to OGG! The mission folder has gone from 130MB to 70MB! Lol - really, really sorry but that probably explains why many of you have had issues with it! Should be sorted with an update within the hour!

If anyone out there fancies making a playthrough video of 'Essential Requisite', it would be most welcome - my PC struggles with running Fraps at the same time as Arma! Plus, it's always really, really fun to watch how someone tackles the mission!

If anyone out there fancies making a playthrough video of 'Essential Requisite', it would be most welcome - my PC struggles with running Fraps at the same time as Arma! Plus, it's always really, really fun to watch how someone tackles the mission!

I started a YouTube channel recently, I'll tackle it real quick on my alt account.

Awesome! Thanks man! Looking forward to that!