Sign in to follow this  
jfriberg

Question to you who have played both Arma II and Arma III

I own and have played Arma II. Before considering spending money on Arma III I would like to know how ity differes from Arma II.

What would you list under this headings ?

1) What has improved compared to Arma II ?

2) Has anything become worse than it was in Arma II ?

1. The new stances are awesome. I love the animations, the graphics, and the overall cleaner and nicer interface and flow ARMA3 has. I also like the cool little features such as helicopter co pilots.

2. Expansions are really annoying in ARMA3. In ARMA2 they automatically enabled when needed to join a server if you had them installed but now it must be done manually. The Steam workshop drives me insane and I don't like the futuristic MX weapons and the looks of the vehicles.

Well, Arma 3 has improved a lot of features from Arma 2 ( movement is more smooth, special effects, better sounds, etc. )

But the background is totally different, is some kind of half-futuristic-I-don-t-know-what which make it a bit weird. Besides that as the game is "recent", there are still some bugs. And lacks some of the basic modules of Arma 2, like the First Aid. Lacks a bit also of proper content, and some things are just cloned in all the three sides...

2. Expansions are really annoying in ARMA3. In ARMA2 they automatically enabled when needed to join a server if you had them installed but now it must be done manually.

What the heck are you talking about?

Ive been enjoying ArmA 3, I had never played ArmA 2 but I was looking on youtube and some forums and was convinced that 3 is worth it.

Side note, I cant start threads(I have no idea why not) and I have no idea where to go to get started with the awesome potential that is ArmA 3. This game is vastly different than any game Ive played and would like to learn more about it. Any links or help would be greatly appreciated.

What the heck are you talking about?

In ARMA2, if you disabled, for example, CBA and ACE and joined a server that required them it would automatically detect that you have them installed and it would let you join. In ARMA3 you would have to back out, activate them, restart ARMA, and then join. Then if you join a server WITHOUT those mods, unlike in ARMA2, ARMA3 will make you repeat the stupid process and disable all the mods again and restart, then finally join again. This may seem insignificant but it's really annoying when you're jumping back and forth between servers to recruit.

I've been playing the ARMA series for a long time and I can honestly say that ARMA3 has improved all aspects of the game.

Its still not perfect and there are still quite a few annoying bugs. Not more than ARMA2 though.

The futuristic setting is not to everyone's liking but there are already some mods porting ARMA2 content to ARMA3 so hopefully soon everything will be available again.

I can't go back to ARMA2 now...

---------- Post added at 01:28 ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 ----------

GReeves: That's not how my ARMA2 handled mods. Maybe you were using a mod organizer?

In ARMA2, if you disabled, for example, CBA and ACE and joined a server that required them it would automatically detect that you have them installed and it would let you join. In ARMA3 you would have to back out, activate them, restart ARMA, and then join. Then if you join a server WITHOUT those mods, unlike in ARMA2, ARMA3 will make you repeat the stupid process and disable all the mods again and restart, then finally join again. This may seem insignificant but it's really annoying when you're jumping back and forth between servers to recruit.

Arma 2 did no such thing. That's why applications such as AddonSync2009, Armarize, Arma Launcher (Kegetys), Arma II Launcher (alpinestars), Arma II Launcher (SpiritedMachine), Arma 2 Mod Launcher, Six Updater/PlayWithSix, and many more were created.

I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of the futuristic thing.. Its not like star wars, it isn't that different from now. Sure, they got rid of the m16s etc and made their own guns, but nothing is outside of our current capabilities, technologically speaking. Most of the vehicles exist in real life anyways, and are just modified slightly so BI doesn't have to waste money buying rights and such. Personally, I don't see why it's such a big deal.

The future setting is the biggest mistake of the game IMO, I cannot connect with any of it, and I've tried...

I'd still be playing arma 2 if it wasn't for some mods, Almost everything else is awesome!

I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of the futuristic thing.. Its not like star wars, it isn't that different from now. Sure, they got rid of the m16s etc and made their own guns, but nothing is outside of our current capabilities, technologically speaking. Most of the vehicles exist in real life anyways, and are just modified slightly so BI doesn't have to waste money buying rights and such. Personally, I don't see why it's such a big deal.

I'm not really sure why either but there's something just wrong about it since everyone is always complaining about it...to be honest I get pissed off anytime I have to use one of those stupid MX rifles, too. But when I get an M4 in my hands from a NATO weapon mod... :D I also hate the Ghosthawks, those models are terrible.

The future setting is the biggest mistake of the game IMO, I cannot connect with any of it, and I've tried...

I'd still be playing arma 2 if it wasn't for some mods, Almost everything else is awesome!

I fully agree. When I hold a familiar weapon in my hands and wait for the T-72 to come closer I'm there. When I hold some strange gun waiting for some vehicle I don't recognize I'm playing a game. Luckily we have mods, because the rest is better.

I agree too. The UFO-bug armor of the CSAT is just too much for me, and the Ifrit doesn't fit in that environment.

The rest is pretty much OK, specially with the awesome work that BI has done with the lighting, effects, new animations, etc. You can really feel inside the battle.

To me A3 would be the perfect game if it had good textured models of vehicles in service nowadays or that are gonna be in service soon.

But I hope BI will add in the future a DLC including a more "Earthly" OPFOR, and maybe some "modern" weapons ( M4 & AK 74 ) with a few improvements that could make them fit the 2035 armaverse.

i don't care for 2035 setting the only thing is: opfor units looks to be aliens from outer space instead of humans from earth (i mean helmets , uniforms with that strange "radiator" on the back,and Aliens 2 style gloves), just this

Whereas Arma 2 never "immersed" me enough for me to notice a difference from A3! :lol:

What happened to the good old dispension of disbelieve... But I just came by to say that there currently are quite a couple of threads discussing these topics in Arma 3 - General already.

Well, Arma 3 has improved a lot of features from Arma 2 ( movement is more smooth, special effects, better sounds, etc. )

But the background is totally different, is some kind of half-futuristic-I-don-t-know-what which make it a bit weird. Besides that as the game is "recent", there are still some bugs. And lacks some of the basic modules of Arma 2, like the First Aid. Lacks a bit also of proper content, and some things are just cloned in all the three sides...

Does this mean that we don't have real weapons that does exist today? What about the environment is it different from real world and more like a SF movie?

Does this mean that we don't have real weapons that does exist today? What about the environment is it different from real world and more like a SF movie?

No, it's not. Except for a couple of items almost everything in-game is actual modern technology - most people just want to complain. I'd advise you to take a look at in-game footage on youtube to get an impression of the game itself and to see if you like the setting/looks/idea of the game. If you like it, buy it, if you don't, don't.

I like it, I bought it, I did. ;)

Weapons, vehicles and aircraft are similar to existing experimental tech or slightly invented but still based on reality.

Maps are realistic and inspired on Mediterranean region.

I don't really understand why you are asking here. Just watch some youtube vids of ARMA3 and make up your own mind.

No, it's not. Except for a couple of items almost everything in-game is actual modern technology - most people just want to complain. I'd advise you to take a look at in-game footage on youtube to get an impression of the game itself and to see if you like the setting/looks/idea of the game. If you like it, buy it, if you don't, don't.

I like it, I bought it, I did. ;)

^this. I liked it too. Play with AiA if you like.

and if you make the case for "modern" equipment, look at this post:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?132745-Is-Arma-3-authentic

I myself have also problems with weapons and such things.

For example when I see an AK47 in a game I know what I can expect from this weapon, when I see a MX 3GL 6,5mm caliber I don´t have a clue what this weapon is capable of. Okay after a few rounds playing the game and some testing I know what I can expect from ingame weapons but I like it more when I see familiar weapons like G3, AK47, G36, M16 or whatsoever. So the futuristic setting in Arma 3 is not so futuristic at all but just unfamiliar at first. In the meantime I am comfortable playing all the weapons in Arma 3 but it was definitely a changeover.

Well most of the vehicles and weapons in game are based in real ones ( some have never been in service or passed the prototype phase ) with certain updates.

Don't expect the traditional armies with their usual equipment, for example the US, use the discarded RH66 as main helo instead of the Apache, as a main transport helo they used a heavily modernized stealth Blackhawk ( that is inspired in the ones from the Bin Laden raid ), instead of M4 they use come kind of tunned Scar with a new caliber and caseless ammunition; as a main tank they use the Isreali Merkava, and the same nationality's Namer as tracked APC; the Finnish Patria instead the Stryker ( although Lockheed Martin is working to adapt it for the US army with the name Havoc ), etc.

So does it look anything similar to any actual warmovie or documntary, NO.

Does it look like Star Wars? No either

It would look like a mild war sci-fi movie.

Edited by MistyRonin

have a nice watching ;)

I have now watched that video. I often saw blocky and blurry graphics. I have no such problem with Arma II. Is this videoclip from a slow computer causing this problem?

I have read rumors that Arma III is badly optimised and requires an insane powerful computer. Is Haswell 4770K (OC 4.5 GHz) with GTX770 and 8 Gb RAM enough?

I tend to have a fine enough time with the game on a 3570K (not OC'd) with a GTX 660 Ti and 8 GB RAM, so what you have should more and away suffice -- and that video is from just under two weeks after the game's alpha release, we're now just over a full year away from that video. ;)