Sign in to follow this  
craptakular

How to maintain performance with increased view distance? (Upgrade question)

Hi,

I have been playing Arma series for a few years now, it is almost the only game I play nowadays. I play for a group and only play on our locked dedibox so server fps is usually 30-50fps.

I currently have the following setup:

2500k @ 4.5Ghz

8Gb 1600Mhz ram

GTX680 2GB

SSD

1080p monitor

Now I usually have my view distance set to 3000 - 4000 and get between 30-60fps depending on urban/rural setting and the intensity of the AI firefights.

Is view distance dependant on CPU grunt or GPU? I ask as I am thinking of getting a GTX780TI, but if it won't improve view distance then it is a pointless upgrade as my 2500k is awesome value and doesn't warrant replacing for Haswell for 5% performance and around £400-£500 cost to replace CPU, RAM, MB and cooler.

Any help?

View distance is deemed to be mainly CPU dependent.

I agree the 2500K is still pretty capable CPU but I'd be little more optimistic about the 5% performance gain. The maximum FPS would not change dramatically but I imagine it maintaining more stable FPS instead.

Either way as I see it, the gain from better CPU would go further than GPU upgrade but whether it is worth upgrading or not for potentially 10-15% increase in performance ( we should maybe call it - smoothness ) will be up to you to decide.

What's your object view distance? My GPU (gtx 570) becomes CPU (2600k @ 4.5 GHz) limited when I put my object view distance over 2 km.

The non-object view distance doesn't really cost much on the CPU side of things so you can increase that if you want.

In not sure tbh. I probably have matched it too view distance. I will have to check.