Von Quest

[WIP] Von Quest Industries - H.A.L.O. System

You did a great job on the immersion! (well, except for the helmet)

Really like the sound effect combined with the shakiness. :)

Hope you can figure out a workaround for the MapSize thingy though. would be nice to use this on all maps. perhaps something with a marker you have to place in upper right corner? I know x39 uses something like that for his insurgency modules.

Thanks bro, glad you liked it. Just wanted you to see we were enjoy a very welcomed edition to our mod list.

The resolution with the Jump Buddy was effecting both of us it seemed. My buddy, who recorded the video, was running at 1920x1080 native, and I'm running 1366x768 native, and we both get the same issue with the bottom right corner of the Jump Buddy being covered. We tried a few different settings, but still the same result.

Here's another test jump video though! Still enjoying this release!

Very nice mod. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to seeing this progress.

Thanks bro, glad you liked it. Just wanted you to see we were enjoy a very welcomed edition to our mod list.

The resolution with the Jump Buddy was effecting both of us it seemed. My buddy, who recorded the video, was running at 1920x1080 native, and I'm running 1366x768 native, and we both get the same issue with the bottom right corner of the Jump Buddy being covered. We tried a few different settings, but still the same result.

Here's another test jump video though! Still enjoying this release!

That's how the texture overlays works in this game. They cover UI elements. Lol.

There's nothing mod authors can do about it except lowering the opacity of the shown texture or waiting for a BIS fix. Which will never come.

Think about Photoshop layers. Now imagine the helmet overlay being always on top of these layers. That's basically it.

@ltsThomas

Thanks. Fix for mapSize already figured out (hopfully). Will have to add each non-supported A2 maps manually. No biggie I guess. The marker-thing. Not a bad idea! Will look into that.

@SLIDER75

Doh! You two missed the Target. Drop and give me 20! More training? :p The METAR readout is the Weather Radio. Displays Wind Direction and speed in Knots. Example: 355~7 would be a North blowing wind at 7 Knots. It's good for planing where to track to before pulling your chute as the Wind will try its hardest to push you once under canopy. So IF that was the case; and you were heading West to the DZ, you'd want to pull South of Target at the appropriate level to compensate for a good northerly breeze. Of course in any good HALO (High-Alitude-Low-Opening), you can ignore the wind if opening low enough. I think you can pull around 350'-400' and survive (possible dirty shorts). With the default random wind, BIS has the wind changing WAY too fast and random directions to plan too far ahead though.

Weird that we have the same resolution. Your JumpBuddy looks bigger than mine. Whats up with that? Thanks again. Will have to take closer look at that. A small section is covered by default, but it shouldn't be that much where its covering up the readouts. How odd.

@SAS_Sniper

Map is fine. What's missing? There is really nothing to do. It's not a full Mission; just an example setup to take a quick look. Just showing you that all you need for your Maps/Missions is the emply C-130J named VQIHALO1. That's it! You're ready to Rock-n-Roll and become a professional lawn dart.

@the chief

Thank You. Have some cool things planned...

@everyone

Just found out that it appears CBA is required as well. :icon_ohmygod: Thanks to good 'ol Foxhound for the heads-up. Was that your issue SAS_Sniper?

Edited by Goblin
CBA required

Thanks for the tips bro, will put those to use next time we go up. One odd thing I forgot to mention. You heard me ask my buddy about deploying smoke. For some reason, once we enter that mission, from start to finish, we can't select any type of grenade or throw one. We've stripped all the gear off, and tried multiple things. But are unable to cycle through any grenades within our kit.

The helo pilot helmet should be changed to whichever helmet the person is wearing, but add goggles and a rebreather. I'd do it myself but I don't want my entire group to have to edit the config :)

Not every soldier dives with own helmet, you can actually see some footage of French special forces doing halo with helmets pretty similar to these ones

This is what I used to determine the map sizes for the GPS zoom levels in JTK HALO. I ran an fsm that preloaded all the the maps I played and knew the sizes of. If The map was not detected then the fsm would get the map dimensions, center ect then spit out a multiplier I derived from official bis maps. Maybe it has what you need.

Preloaded maps here..

_MapConfigured = true;

switch (WorldName) do {
case "Takistan": {
	JTK_HALO_Min_GPS_Zoom = 0.065;
	JTK_MapCenter = [6400,6400];
};
case "Chernarus": {
	JTK_HALO_Min_GPS_Zoom = 0.05;
	JTK_MapCenter = [7680,7680];
};
case "utes": {
	JTK_HALO_Min_GPS_Zoom = 0.05;
	JTK_MapCenter = [2560,2560];
};
case "ProvingGrounds_PMC": {
	JTK_HALO_Min_GPS_Zoom = 0.25;
	JTK_MapCenter = [1024,1024];
};
case "Shapur_BAF": {
};
case "Zargabad": {
	JTK_HALO_Min_GPS_Zoom = 0.085;
	JTK_MapCenter = [4096,4096];
};
case "Desert_E": {
};

case "isladuala": {
	JTK_Min_GPS_Zoom = 0.077;
	JTK_MapCenter = [5120,5120];
};
default {
	JTK_HALO_Min_GPS_Zoom = nil;
	JTK_MapCenter = nil;
	_MapConfigured = false;
};
};

If not configured then execute the fallback:

[_unit,_debug] spawn {	
private ["_grid_size"];
disableserialization;

_unit = _this select 0;
_debug = _this select 1;

openMap [true, false];
WaitUntil {visibleMap};

_Map_display = findDisplay 12;
_map_cntrl = _Map_display displayCtrl 51;
// Temporarily zoom out as much as possible and measure the screen.
_map_cntrl ctrlMapAnimAdd [0, 1000, [9999999999, 9999999999]];
ctrlMapAnimCommit _map_cntrl;
waitUntil {ctrlMapAnimDone _map_cntrl};
_zoom_max = ctrlMapScale _map_cntrl;
_limit =  _map_cntrl ctrlMapScreenToWorld [0.5, 0.5];
_x_max = _limit select 0;
_y_max = _limit select 1;

_top_right = [_x_max,_y_max,0];
_top_left = [0,_y_max,1];
_btm_left = [0,0,0];
_btm_right = [_x_max,0,0];

_map_center = [0.5*(_limit select 0),0.5*(_limit select 1)];

_cfg=configFile>>"CfgWorlds">>worldName>>"Grid";
_grid_size_y =getNumber(_cfg>>"Zoom1">>"stepX");
_grid_size_x =getNumber(_cfg>>"Zoom1">>"stepY");

_grid_size = abs(_grid_size_y);
if (_grid_size_y < 100) then {
	_grid_size = abs(_grid_size_y*_grid_size_x);
}else{_grid_size = abs(_grid_size_y)};

_w = _top_right distance _top_left;
_h = _top_right distance _btm_right;

_map_width = _limit select 0;
_map_height = _limit select 1;

_Map_Area_Grids = (_map_width/_grid_size)*(_map_height/_grid_size);//<=====================================MAP SIZE HERE IN GRIDS!!
_Map_Area_km = (_map_width/1000)*(_map_height/1000);//<=====================================MAP SIZE HERE IN KMs!!

if (_debug) then {
	_m = createmarker ["MapSize",_map_center];
	_m setmarkerShape "RECTANGLE";
	_m setmarkerSize [_map_width /2,_map_height/2];
	_m setmarkerAlpha 0.15;
	_m setmarkercolor "ColorRed";

_m = createmarker ["MapWNote",[-150,(_map_center select 0)]];
	_m setmarkerText format["Delta X: %1 km",(_x_max/1000)];
	_m setmarkersize [0,0];
	_m setmarkerType "Dot";
	_m setmarkercolor "Colorblack";

_m = createmarker ["MapLNote",[(_map_center select 1),-150]];
	_m setmarkerText format ["Delta Y: %1 km",(_y_max/1000)];
	_m setmarkersize [0,0];
	_m setmarkerType "Dot";

_m = createmarker ["MapSizeNote",_map_center];
	_m setmarkerText format ["(Map Size: %1 sq km)",_Map_Area_km];
	_m setmarkersize [0,0];
	_m setmarkerType "Dot";
};

_mapsize = _Map_Area_km;

WaitUntil {!isNil "_mapsize"};

_Size_stndrd = 235.93;
_zoom_stndrd = 0.05;

private ["_zoom","_mltplr"];

_add = true;
_percnt = (_mapsize/_Size_stndrd);
if (_percnt  > 1) then {_percnt = _percnt mod 1;_add = false};
_percntof = 1 - (_percnt);
_zoom_dif = _percntof*_zoom_stndrd;
if !(_add) then {
	_zoom = _zoom_stndrd - _zoom_dif; 
}else{
	_zoom = _zoom_dif + _zoom_stndrd; 
};

if (_zoom > 0.095) then {
	_zoom = 0.25
}else{
	if (_zoom == 0) then {
		_zoom = _zoom + _zoom_stndrd
	}else{
		if (_zoom < 0) then {_zoom = 0};
	};		
};
JTK_HALO_Min_GPS_Zoom = _zoom;
JTK_MapCenter = _map_center;

openMap [false, false];
};

The fallback isnt pretty. It requires the unit has a map and that map must be opened to get the size of the screen. I ran mine when the mission initialized and kept the screen black until the required values were captured. That way if the player didn't have a map you could give him one, open it, get what you need then remove it from before the mission starts.

More on it here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?139264-How-to-obtain-via-script-map-s-true-center-position-(or-map-s-size-values).

Hope it helps,

Keep up the Good work.

Edited by Kempco_2

@Kempco_2

Whoa, did you hack my pc? Kidding. Weird you have the exact same maps as I just did last night. Thanks though...

Was also going to add in post that any non-supported maps, anyone can just find the size for me (across in meters)

and let me know what part of the world its in and look up the average coldest temperature and I would add it.

This is what I had so far for the next release soon...

//find Map size FORMULA: Custom/A2/A3	Add non-supported manually
if (_mapSizeF == "Stratis")			then {_half = getNumber (configfile >> "CfgWorlds" >> worldName >> "mapSize") / 2;}; //Map formula A3
if (_mapSizeF == "Altis")				then {_half = getNumber (configfile >> "CfgWorlds" >> worldName >> "mapSize") / 2;};
if (_mapSizeF == "Chernarus")			then {_half = 7500;};
if (_mapSizeF == "Utes")				then {_half = 2500;};
if (_mapSizeF == "ProvingGrounds_PMC")	then {_half = 1000;};
if (_mapSizeF == "Takistan")			then {_half = 6300;};
if (_mapSizeF == "Zargabd")			then {_half = 4000;};
if (_mapSizeF == "Desert_E")			then {_half = 1000;};
if (_mapSizeF == "Shapur_baf")			then {_half = 1000;};	
if (_mapSizeF == "IslaDuala")			then {_half = 5000;};	

Thanks again. Next release out in a week or so I'm guessing. Need to test MP Night Jump-Lighting! :sneaky2:

What about using the Globemaster c17 along with the C130. Seems many use that aircraft nowadays aswell as the C130.

I saw in your future plans that you intend to try and do the base office for finding any flights. Maybe using one of the two airframes I mention as a random selection when you go to the laptop might be something you could think about.

goblin i dont know why, but im getting a bad vehicle type when the mission loads and the mask ui will not come off after landfall. any thoughts?

i think placing a marker on map idea for the plane is awesome.

@SpookyGnu

I have no plans to use that monster. I really don't see an added value. All you need is something

to jump out of. Plus the C-130 can use smaller/rough fields. If I add, it'll be awhile. I'll think on it...

@DirtyDel

I'm so sorry man. Not sure what's the issue. Would need more information. All I can recommend is

to re-download from 1st post. (technically it's now v0.1.1) There may have been a glitch in the DL

or the install perhaps. Try that and get back to me. Any YouTube vid you can post by chance?

Great Looking Halo Script Goblin, also glad to see that Kempco got in touch with you. Also that he still around. LO have not seen him in a long time. Anyway looking forward to your Updated ver. Our unit is looking forward to using this.

Thanks.

Not sure when the next version is coming out. I'm still hoping for this or next weekend.

Had a terrible MP testing session. Mod broke. Its beginning to look like it was just a bad

Mission File. Fingers crossed that's all it was...

Hey, great mod. I'm looking to incorporate this into my Zeus missions that I run, and fortunately, it works well.

I was wondering though, if you could do some quality of life improvements to the mod, that may help with the Zeus mission making. Do you think binding the actions of halo jump to the equipment itself might help a bit? This helps as it allows people to dynamically create the halo jump spots, and use them as they see fit.

Mission flow something like this.

Put on halo gear.

(squad leader) places drop zone map marker

(squad leader) selects drop zone, type in name of map marker into a box.

They move out to the plane they want to use, select plane.

Everyone in squad does gear check.

Those that pass the gear check get added into the halo jump (just a list of players that are going to be put into the air, not all players in a mission).

Squad leader hits "Initiate Halo Jump" action and they are spawned in the sky on the plane, ready for halo jump.

As for bugs, while in the plane right before halo jump, if you try and move to the back of the plane where there is a ramp down, it will initiate the halo jump. Is this because you trigger the halo jump on a overall height change, or perhaps an animation trigger?

Really looking forward to seeing what your going to do with this regardless.

Cool. Thanks for the Zeus update. Never tried Zeus, nor do I plan to. Not sure exactly what you mean.

The HALO is tied to the Equipment. That was one of the key elements I wanted. Sure you have

the right Mod? You need 3 pieces to be granted access to jump and the altimeter.

And as for selecting your exact JumpPoint, I have a more complex system in-the-works that is part of

another Mod coming soon. I have a huge system coming that will be sorta a modular complex system.

The HALO Mod will Plug into the 'core' mod and therefore, giving you a high probability of having a fairly

close flight plan near the Mission area eliminating the need to select anything. The office/network/command

system I'm working on, will likely have a request option to re-route the flight. Still W-I-P. I'm still undecided

right now if I would design it so you can just pin-point your jump. Probably, but we'll see...

Bugs! You know I hate 'em! There are several. Another key element to this project is I wanted the player

to be able to actually jump from the aircraft without any gimmicks. Either it was a glitch, or the wrong mod,

or you just fell out... Watch yer step!

Thanks for the feedback. Keep 'em coming! :cool:

Cool to know that your doing a Jump point bit to addon to the mod, really looking forward to that.

I was talking about not having to add the C130J to the mission file at all, because as Zeus, you can add things on-the-fly.

The problem with this and the way zeus works is you need to plan way ahead, and static elements on a map while your making a mission per-determines your mission flow a bit, instead of letting the players have a more free-form open-world war experience.

When I was talking about the equipment, I was talking about binding all of those actions to the equipment, meaning you don't need to talk to an npc to do all of this, just load up the equipment and have a go. Its a more arcade style of play, as your are going for realism, but perhaps this is something that I can solve on my own.

Roger that. Haven't touched Zeus yet, so it never even crossed my mind. Your right on both counts.

I'll make a note of them, and see if I can rework the system a tad. This will be low priority though...

v1 is basically done, but want to do some MP testing on Friday before released this weekend. :ok:

Hi Goblin,

Thanks for your work on this. I tried it out and it was a totally different experience from the typical boring Arma HALO drop.

My one suggestion would be to change the configs a so that this does not create a new faction. After a few faction mods, the list of factions can get fairly cluttered and if mods like this are creating new factions as well, the clutter starts to be a real problem! Might I suggest putting the HALO units under a separate class (rather than faction)?

...tried it out and it was a totally different experience from the typical boring Arma HALO drop.

Mission accomplished! Thanks. :yay:

Its a bit confusing, but there is a much bigger design being painstakingly carved out of my twisted mind.

The Units will be at some point separate. I'm trying to create a system that can be pick-n-choose the

mods you want to run, OR a full complete set-up that can run either way without conflict.

Because of this, some future mods may be seen in current mods as part of a complex testing infrastructure.

goblin ive been screwing around with the script. i figured out how to set where i want to drop. i tried using getMarkerpos so i could place a marker on the map for the jump; however, getMarkerpos is 2d. How could i add height?

:icon9:KNOWN ISSUES :icon9:

• Sound Glitch after the Chute is pulled. Echo/Reverb. Anyone know why? I really do not want to release the BETA Version until I can fix this.

Add this to the CfgVehicles section of your config.cpp and it will get rid of the echo. Also, you may want to use it to help configure your sounds while the parachute is deployed.

class AllVehicles;
class Air: AllVehicles
{
	class NewTurret;
	class ViewPilot;
};
class Helicopter: Air
{
	class NewTurret;
	class ViewPilot;
};
class ParachuteBase: Helicopter