Von Quest

[WIP] Von Quest Industries - H.A.L.O. System

dude when is this coming? i cant wait any longer bro. I'm too excited.

dude when is this coming? i cant wait any longer bro. I'm too excited.

Really!? Come on aren't we past this yet? Please do not ask "when it's comming out" you annoy the modder as well as the community that is interested in the mod wheni see a new post and click on it just to see there is no update. As well as it's part of the forum rules. Please read them.

Update:

Decided to upgrade this system into a full Mod. I wanted to add some custom (WIP) equipment

into this for a better experience and to continue my learning of the intense and complex Armaverse.

In the first BETA release there will be limited features. (not that anyone will notice really)

Everything seems to work very good for a prototype of this design. Extremely super-cool. :cool:

Works best in SP. But in MP testing I had a few issues that I'm not too happy with. We had some

bad Frame Rates on the client pc that were upsetting. It's unclear if it was related to my Mods

or not. We were testing an experimental Sniper System at the same time, as this will be the next

release. So who knows...

The biggest grumble I have with this HALO system is my sounds are all screwed up for some reason

after you pull the chute. Again, I'm not sure if its related OR a completely separate problem that

is caused somewhere else. I'm hoping its an unrelated issue. There are ghosting/echo/reverb sounds

that are ruining the immersion for me. Let me know after release if anyone else has this.

I'm super tired right now so I'm probably rambling... After a few quick tweaks (famous last words)

I'll release the experimental BETA version Wednesday. I talked to Foxhound of Armaholic and will

be posting the download as soon as it's ready.

Oh, and one last thought, I think I'm going to get rid of the Backpack on the front while walking

around (for now). Some Backpacks work great and others just clip weird breaking the 'magic'.

Any thoughts on this? Does everyone want this feature or can I just delete it for now? I'm thinking

for maybe v2 on doing a dedicated Front-Backpack that uses the skeleton model cfg. We'll see...

Over & Out!

Sounds great, cool concepts. Interested to see this all ingame. Will my AI team ba able to join me from the tarmac to the dropzone, through the whole process? Will aplayer be able to override "the desk" and choose my flight and DZ regardless?

Sounds great, cool concepts. Interested to see this all ingame. Will my AI team ba able to join me from the tarmac to the dropzone, through the whole process? Will aplayer be able to override "the desk" and choose my flight and DZ regardless?

I'm so sorry. There will be no desk in v0.1 BETA. Might not be in until v1 or v2. And I never play with AI,

so right now it only works with human players. You may want to check out cobra's system for Parajumps

with AI. I can try and include this if there is enough demand, but it's very low on my priority list.

This first TEST/BETA release, ONLY works good on Stratis & Altis, and has a random altitude, jump location,

direction of plane, temperature, and just 1 orange & black Altimeter you can display and view.

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

Edited by Goblin
removed rant of Photobucket

I use mediafire to upload my images now after imageshack went pay to use. Its free and very well done all you need to do is create an account and upload your images, then click on the image you want and wait for the image viewer to render it and copy the link from the actual image, if you dont the image uploads as a zip file instead :)

W-I-P version is online for DOWNLOAD.

Check First Post and let me know how

it's working. Especially the Sound/Echo

issue I'm having. Thanks, Enjoy!!! :icon_w00t:

Doh!

BIS bug!!!! After mission is updated the class still stays in mission.sqm. Frick.

This might explain other 'issues' that I'm having...

You can just delete line 8 in that file and ANY other errors that pop-up. I will have to

redo from a fresh empty file I guess. There will be others I'm guessing like Lines 6,11,31, etc.

On the way to work, so I'll update in the morning. The Mod should still run ok, I hope? Thanks...

Sorry.

Good Work Goblin.

remove the extra mods manually and works good

I have a echoing sound when I open the parachute. Maybe missing the filter for vehicle something like attenuationEffectType = "CarAttenuation";

like the ice effect on the helmet.

keep the good wwork

File UPDATED.

Weird. I don't know why it does that. Started a NEW Blank mission.sqm and then checked

the file code... still said I had other Mods required. Don't get it. The Mission should work

fine now. You're not missing anything. Just threw down some Targets to aim for after you

Jumped. That's all. No biggie. This is still experimental.

I've noticed other issues like that before. When things get deleted or changed, it seems

there were "ghost/residue" left over that should NOT be there. It's a little troubling...

You can re-download now and everything should be good. As my buddy always says:

"That's what these tests are for".

Keep me posted on this first release, so I know I can then move to Completed and

add to Armaholic for V1. Thanks and Good luck! Don't pull too late... :p

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

I have a echoing sound when I open the parachute. Maybe missing the filter for vehicle something like attenuationEffectType = "CarAttenuation";

Do you know where it would go by chance? I don't have any vehicles and this problem goes way back to

when I had this just running as a script-system. Driving me nuts! :crazy:

Edited by Goblin

I'd just like to jump out of a C-130 without dying. Any chance of a lite version without all of the bells and whistles?

Hi Goblin,

first I want to thank you for your great work - we missed this option in ArmA3 for quite a while!

I tested it yesterday for a short time - works for me!

But: I get no parachute... :j: Is there a crate, which I have not found?

Continue your good work!

Thank you for allowing us to post your early beta version on Armaholic :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Mission seems to be incomplete. No crate as was mentioned in the readme, and there's nothing I can really do but run around and interact with the PC. Not really able to get any of this stuff to work :(

I'd just like to jump out of a C-130 without dying. Any chance of a lite version without all of the bells and whistles?

Lite version? What are you a Green Beret? This is for REAL Commandos! :p

Not sure what you mean. As far as 'eject' out of that C-130 while flying

you'd have to take that up with theebu. I think he has to update his config.

The whole point to my Mod, IS the bells & whistles. I have on my todo

list for v2 is a lower flying C-130 for "normal" Para-jumps without fancy gear.

Maybe I'll move that up if there is enough demand. Should be an easy update.

---------- Post added at 07:02 ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 ----------

Hi Goblin,

first I want to thank you for your great work - we missed this option in ArmA3 for quite a while!

I tested it yesterday for a short time - works for me!

But: I get no parachute... :j: Is there a crate, which I have not found?

Continue your good work!

Sorry. :o I forgot to fix that loophole. You have to check-in with the Jumpmaster at the back

of the plane. He will issue you your Parachute and square away your gear. The Crewmaster

that is inside the aircraft is supposed to NOT let you continue IF you're missing the first check-in.

Need to fix/update that this weekend. Thanks for reminding me!

---------- Post added at 07:06 ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 ----------

Mission seems to be incomplete. No crate as was mentioned in the readme, and there's nothing I can really do but run around and interact with the PC. Not really able to get any of this stuff to work :(

The Crate is behind the aircraft next to the Jumpmaster. Grab the other 2 things you need (O2 & Helmet)

since you are already started in the xperimental Jumpsuit. Check with the Jumpmaster to get your chute.

As you have released a Beta, i will move this thread over to the ARMA 3 - ADDONS & MODS: COMPLETE section :)

wow goblin, this is truly amazing. i love it. the jumpsuit, helmet, rebreather, and pack look so awesome together. The hud is freaking cool as hell, the whole experience is authentic.

are we going to be able to jump in 3rd person in a later release? i want to see my bros and i form up in the sky, take a few screenshots.

and i dont know how huge of a request this is, but could i receive some direction on how to start in the plane with all the gear, ready to jump?

-edit after i land, i cant get the hud off the screen after removing everything from my inventory. bug? glitch?

Edited by DirtyDel

For the most part, everything seems to be working as intended, with a bug halting everything now and again (which is expected with a beta release). Me and my buddy did at least 25 jumps in MP last night, and about 20 or so went off without a hitch. I got to say, walking around in the troop bay with the ramp open at 35k+ was mind blowing.

The bugs we encountered; As the host I kept running into the random shaking camera while still inside the C130, and my buddy spawned into the C130 with no parachute a few times after being cleared. The overlay inside the helmet only appeared when at altitude, and seemed to cover up the bottom right corner of the Jump Buddy. I couldn't seem to pull up the map or GPS while at altitude either. Not sure if it was JSRS or not, but when exiting the plane the sound of the wind was insanely loud, couldn't even hear my buddy over ACRE until we had fallen at least 10-15k. Other than those few minor things, it worked great for a first release.

Some features I'd like to see added; Red interior lighting inside the C130 for night jumps. Attaching a few hidden chemlights would probably do the trick. The ability to jump with other helmets/goggles. Seen many videos and pictures of operators HALO'ing with FAST helmets and dust goggles and the like. Also, would it even be possible to model the Jump Buddy directly onto the wrist, and still have the gauges working like they do when in a vehicle? That may be thinking to big lol. Also a bag that can hold more than the standard load would be nice. As of right now even in a carry all, I can only hold my uniform, helmet, plate carrier, and a few mags and that's about it. Breathing sounds when wearing the rebreather would be cool.

Great work though bro, I'm seriously impressed! Let me know if you ever need help testing stuff over MP.

http://www.magpul.com/assets/files/wallpapers/Jump/2011_wallpaper_04_1600_1200.jpg (1151 kB)

Edited by SLIDER75

This is a fun mod! Looking forward to see how it goes. Would realy like to have more custimization in game to deploy the landing zone, altitude and ability to bring loadouts. Also if the rebreather could be disregarded when parachuting for lower altitude jumps and goggles subtitutude for helmet. Our team uses Xmed wich requires more medical supplies than a standard first aid kit, any chance to increase the rebreather's inventory space to allow more gear? Thanks for the mod.

@DirtyDel

Thank You. I'm not sure about 3rd-person View yet. Probably. The issue with it is (other than immersion), you can then see the in-game hud which is above-terrain-level and too gamey. I may just code-in a little backdoor command for screenshots or something to break out of it. Maybe do a Script/Radio Trigger to remove the helmet, which will break you out of the locked first-person view.

3rdperson.sqf _null = [] execVM "3rdperson.sqf";

//Quick-Fix to breakOut Helmet-View (1st person) ScreenShots?
removeHeadgear P1; sleep 5; P1 addHeadgear "Helmet_VQI_HALO";

Starting in the plane is a tad more tricky without more code since its up in the air. And as for not being able to break-out of the Hud after removing any gear, it must be a glitch I'm guessing.

@Strick

Thanks. More options coming in the future. As for a low-level jump option (as others have asked), undecided right now. Kinda contradicts the whole point of this Mod. And the storage space, I've tried different setups. Not sure which way I want to go. I had a good amount of space in the prototype, but technically there should be none as its a machine. I added a little to simulate maybe being able to clip or attach a few items to it.

@SLIDER75

Bad ass as hell bro! Thanks for that!! I really needed to see how this runs on other PCs. I see you didn't have a sound/echo issue (was my main fear), but you have the Altimeter too far right. Ugh. What's you screen ratio/resolution? I was fuzzy on that part of the code so I just went with a standard value that worked with my 16:9 (1920x1080) monitors.

The camShake is an odd known bug. No parachute with your buddy, well... just HOW good of a buddy is he? Does he really NEED a chute? ;) The Helmet-View turns 'on' at altitude by design. I'm guessing I'd get too many grumbles if I turned it on too soon. No map/GPS was also by design. Theory: everything is packed away and you should have the Jump/Mission planed by then. Also there's a GPS in the Altimeter.

The very loud wind is another intended feature. (going to re-mix different one I think) One of the main elements of this projects was to really emphasize the extreme environment and violent process of a deployment like this. I needed to simulate an intense and dramatic experience. The noise dies down within a minute or so. I love the ACRE Radio with the vid. Adds a while other level to gameplay. The lighting is coming soon. Prototype worked great. We always hoped for a night jump, 'cus it was even more dramatic. I'm might play with a different setup so I took it out with this 0.1 BETA release.

And as for storage, not sure which bag you use. The Carryalls we use had a large amount of space. It takes a bit of moving things around but we could jump with a lot of gear. I'm going to add my own Carryall in the future as part of this (much bigger) project to ensure extra storage. And lastly, the rebreather/O2 sounds... already in the works, but that's classified!

Thanks again for the Vid... Gave me goosebumps! :slayer:

Would all of the gear/jumping work with ejecting out of a player flown jet such as a C17? Our group tends to do all things manually, though this could be pretty interesting if used with Halo Jumping in, say, Patrol Ops (though I'm thinking about removing it and making it so a pilot will have to transport them :D lolol.