Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

Transition from swim to walk

I've put some of the land_cargo towers in the sea to make them look like sea forts.

7vqyh.jpg

And can put enemy AI on them, they walk around quite well and don't fall in the drink much.

But my players can't assault from the sea. The platform at sea level has a set of stairs leading up to it, but players who swim there don't change from the swim animation to the walk animation they can't 'board' the object so a seaborne assault can't be done.

Any ideas anyone?

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Can't think of anything clean. Hell, I often have trouble trying to embark a beach. It is an unfortunate issue, simply limited by the animations lacking transition for the specific scenario. I often joke with my guys by pretending to be all Hollywood SEAL -like by swimming up to the beach and attempting to slowly emerge, but instead hitting the beach, standing straight up, then dolphin diving to the deck.

Dirty ways. Create an action that is available to anyone that would normally be in the position to embark the structure. Upon activation, it sets their animation to "" and setPos's them to the coords of the base of the stairs, which you obtained previously. You could probably do a series of animations and make it look clean to be honest, eventually refining it to the point where an action is not necessary.

could it work if you set the structure 20 cm deeper into the ground?

This, or the other way. Or, adjust the angle of it, though that may start to look silly fast. Or place a ramp of some sort in addition to the structure?

could it work if you set the structure 20 cm deeper into the ground?

I did try moving it down. The structural girdirs made swimming into it almost impossible and even when I could he still didn't transition to a walk anim even if the platform was flooded. :(

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Wait a moment? I'm sure I've done a transition from swimming to ladder climbing when I fell in the drink on Stratis.... I wonder where the ladder is?

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

Aha!

http://puu.sh/7vurh.jpg (194 kB)

So, I arrived on the boat, jumped into the water, then climber up the ladder you see at the left end of the wooden platform, onto the landing stage.

It's an object that doesn't have a classname, but the CJTF addon makes it (and the big towers) available. Now it's just a matter of tweaking the position to make it look decent.

Edited by Tankbuster

Oh man, freaking sweet. Finally we are starting to realize new paradigms thanks to A3 and awesome stuff like this!

early mash up...

Your private videos are great, but what about the structure and the water?

:yay:

;2644723'] but what about the structure and the water?

I Don't understand the question. Are you referring to the fact that the places where you can realistically build these are very limited. To look any good' date=' you need 11m or less or water depth, yet it needs to be some distance from the shore. The location I used is in the straits between the mainland and Ammolofi bay in the NW of the island.

I haven't tried it yet, but we might be able to use setpos to place the tower in deeper water, but it's legs wouldn't be in contact with the seabed. I don't know how the simulation will cope with this - it might start sinking if you shoot it or disturb it in some way.

If I'm honest, I'm not really happy with the result of the work so far. It looks very rough. For example, the wooden landing stage has the stairs attached so I put it next to a tower ruins to make it look like it should be there. The only access to the towers is from the underneath, but the stairway platforms are only supposed to accessed from the stairs. So getting to them from the landing stage alongside looks really rough. Then there's the metal girders of the structure getting in the way too.

To be honest, I'm only go actually go ahead with this if can be made to look half decent.

BTW, I did try using the pier ladder;

[img']https://community.bistudio.com/wikidata/images/thumb/d/df/Arma3_CfgVehicles_Land_PierLadder_F.jpg/800px-Arma3_CfgVehicles_Land_PierLadder_F.jpg[/img]

this would have been the best solution but I couldn't find the 'climb ladder' activation point when in the water.

I wonder what defines the ability to transition from swim to walk? A LOD of some sort, I expect?

Here's my current favourite way of doing this. It doesn't really give the impression of the tower being free standing in the sea, but it's much less glitchy.

C4sh4N3.jpg

I haven't tried it yet, but we might be able to use setpos to place the tower in deeper water, but it's legs wouldn't be in contact with the seabed. I don't know how the simulation will cope with this - it might start sinking if you shoot it or disturb it in some way.

AttachTo an invisible helipad, done. Works perfectly, SP and MP.

floater_zpsf2db19f6.jpg

Edited by Harzach

Yes, I'm aware of this method. I'll use it if necessary. ;-)

I Don't understand the question. Are you referring to the fact that the places where you can realistically build these are very limited. To look any good, you need 11m or less or water depth, yet it needs to be some distance from the shore. The location I used is in the straits between the mainland and Ammolofi bay in the NW of the island.

Although that does answer a question I had, I think he was referring to the fact that your video is private, and thus we are not able to view it at all :)

Although that does answer a question I had, I think he was referring to the fact that your video is private, and thus we are not able to view it at all :)

Oh that's odd. Youtube took the upload but didn't publish it. It should be there now. Not that it matters, I don't think I'll be using that method in the final cut of the mission.

This. Sorry for the confusion :P

Can you see it now? I'll be more careful in future. :)

That's a pier box under the tower by the way and although it does make the tower look like it's not free standing, it does open a tactical possibility for assaulters - they can now ground their boats on it and get out straight onto concrete.